Dana White say's Fedor IS top 5

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White say's Fedor IS top 5
SmileR
2/10/08 2:10:05PM
In this interview Dana talks about how he isn't the face of UFC and how he thinks the fighters get a lot more attention than him.

Its a cool interview so i thought i'd share it.

Here's the
Link
Manfred
2/10/08 2:49:08PM
He must have read Fedors open letter
SmileR
2/10/08 2:51:45PM

Posted by Manfred

Haha yeah! I bet he slept with the light on that night!
Gannon
2/10/08 3:03:39PM
I think Dana is going to have to tone it down a bit. Lately he had crossed the line with the Fedor comments. Of course those comments just make him look ignorant.
Ordep
2/10/08 3:07:02PM

looks it took some seconds to answer that one... he thought Randy, Nog, Sylvia, one in blank to put him down, Fedor ..... "number 5 heavyweight"
loller90278
2/10/08 3:22:27PM

Posted by Manfred

BlazinSaddle
2/10/08 3:30:41PM
well dana must have had a stroke because thats crazy talk

lol peanut butta jelly time
cmill21
2/10/08 3:38:13PM
Wonder what Tel and Tuvok will say about this
Aether
2/10/08 4:40:48PM
I'd love to know where he ranks Noguiera if he ranks Fedor #5... kind of silly.
cowcatcher
2/10/08 4:47:49PM

Posted by Aether

I'd love to know where he ranks Noguiera if he ranks Fedor #5... kind of silly.

dana doesnt believe in MMAth
xburbx
2/10/08 6:07:56PM
I bet Dana gets the Couture / Fedor fight to happen via that comment. At his first press conference he didnt think Fedor was in the top 10 which really ment he was pissed that he couldnt get that fight and didnt want people to believe that he had a top 5 heavyweight that didnt want in the UFC. Fedor and the heavyweight division has done nothing different since but now DANA says he is top 5. I bet we see this fight happen or negotiations with the UFC and M-1 reopen.
tuvok500
2/10/08 6:13:20PM

Posted by cmill21

LOL !!!

Word Fedor :Dana's response " rank # 5 in the heavyweight division " !!

So, not by any mean the best fighter in HW, not by any mean the best P4P fighter, not by any mean a top 3 in the HW division, only #5 !!

Dana, found in 3 words a polite way to tell that Fedor is not the best in the world at all and now Fedor can not cry in an open letter because he think he is #1 !!

Good move Dana !!

cmill21 , better chance next time dude !!

What about the news about Sylvia leaving the UFC !!

You should already have started to correct your statement , specially your " reliable " list of fighters who are going to M-1 !! the list is shrinking every day man , maybe you should add your name on the list, just to make the list longer than 2 names .

cmill21
2/10/08 6:19:28PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by cmill21

LOL !!!

So, not by any mean the best fighter in HW, not by any mean the best P4P fighter, not by any mean a top 3 in the HW division, only #5 !!

Dana, said in 3 word a polite way to tell that Fedor is not the best in the world at all and now Fedor can not cry in an open letter because he think he is #1 !!

Good move Dana !!

What about the new about Sylvia leaving the UFC !!

You should already have started to eat back your words , specially your so good reliable list of fighter who are going to M-1 !!

Alright I didn't understand most of that...But for your guys backing of Dana and whatever he says including what he said about Fedor "sucking", not being top 10, being a joke, ect. This just shows that your blind faith is following a guy who says things when they are convienient to him. I've been saying he's a promoter and he says whatever sells him more tickets, if he signed Fedor I garentee they'd promote him as the best HW alive, just ask Joe Rogan where he'd rank Fedor . Eat my words about what? That Tim sylvia said what he said? How does that make sense? He said theres a chance he would sign there if he left, now he said that he doesn't want to leave the UFC, only one eating their words is big tim.... Hahaha...you guys....
tuvok500
2/10/08 6:31:31PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by cmill21

LOL !!!

Dana, said in 3 word a polite way to tell that Fedor is not the best in the world at all and now Fedor can not cry in an open letter because he think he is #1 !!

Good move Dana !!

What about the new about Sylvia leaving the UFC !!

You should already have started to eat back your words , specially your so good reliable list of fighter who are going to M-1 !!

Alright I didn't understand most of that...But for your guys backing of Dana and whatever he says including what he said about Fedor "sucking", not being top 10, being a joke, ect. This just shows that your blind faith is following a guy who says things when they are convienient to him. I've been saying he's a promoter and he says whatever sells him more tickets, if he signed Fedor I garentee they'd promote him as the best HW alive, just ask Joe Rogan where he'd rank Fedor . Eat my words about what? That Tim sylvia said what he said? How does that make sense? He said theres a chance he would sign there if he left, now he said that he doesn't want to leave the UFC, only one eating their words is big tim.... Hahaha...you guys....

According to Rogan, every fighters and their mothers are best P4P in the world or best athlete of the planet , it depend of what fight he talk about and you just have to change the name of the fighters and it 's done !!

Of course if you only read the play by play on sherdog you are not aware of that !!

And Tim says that he only told that his manager was in m-1 and all of sudden the guy name is on the list of m-1 rosters !! lol

stock
2/10/08 7:03:52PM
Well, "Top 5" doesn't necessarily mean he is "#5".

Anyway, I would say that is pretty generous considering Fedor has never finished a top 10 fighter in his career.
mrsmiley
2/10/08 10:03:33PM
Fedor called Dana's bluff on this.

I

I think Dana was thinking that right about here.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
LayinFrame
2/11/08 12:46:18AM
that is a face of "oh shit, what did i do"
The_hungry_lumberjack
2/11/08 1:16:36AM
Meh, finished sminished, how many times has jab-athon timm-eh gone to decision in his last 5 wins? 4. So tim's not a top 10 cause he cant finish them?
Manfred
2/11/08 3:47:03AM

Posted by stock

Anyway, I would say that is pretty generous considering Fedor has never finished a top 10 fighter in his career.

You mean recently. Nog was considered #1 the first time Fedor fought him and was a HUGE underdog. Hunt, CC, was also ranked when he fought them. Possibly Herring at the time too. (He was also an underdog in that one, BTW)
Pookie
2/11/08 4:31:37AM

Posted by stock

I dont understand that logic. What does finishing a fighter have to do with skill, how do decision wins mean less?
... You have sean sherk as the #1 p4p fighter in all of mma and he hasnt even beat a top ten fighter in his career, let alone finish one... sounds a bit hypocritical to me
mrsmiley
2/11/08 7:59:01AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by stock

You mean recently. Nog was considered #1 the first time Fedor fought him and was a HUGE underdog. Hunt, CC, was also ranked when he fought them. Possibly Herring at the time too. (He was also an underdog in that one, BTW)

If I remember right,the fight between him and Herring was for the number one contendership,and Fedor was the underdog in that fight.And speaking of ranks,to my knowledge,their isn't even an official rankings system in place anywere.I always hear or read people saying stuff like; "this person isn't ranked,they suck,etc",

But who ranked them?According to which magazine,or is this just the persons personal belief?I always hate it when people start talking about how so and so has never beaten a top ten fighter.IMO,as of now,it's almost impossible to establish a top ten with just how good a lot of the fighters today seem to be.
stock
2/11/08 8:49:53AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by stock

I dont understand that logic. What does finishing a fighter have to do with skill, how do decision wins mean less?
... You have sean sherk as the #1 p4p fighter in all of mma and he hasnt even beat a top ten fighter in his career, let alone finish one... sounds a bit hypocritical to me

I didn't say I agree (at least totally). I am just saying you could understand the logic.
It's just funny that Dana says that Fedor is top 5, and people are still giving him shit for it.

And, I apologize. I guess Franca, Florian, and Diaz were never in the top 10?
Plus, I used to have Fedor #1 until his lack of fights. He has not fought anyone I would consider top competition since 2006. If he was fighting guys, he would still be #1.
Pookie
2/11/08 1:49:43PM

Posted by stock

Posted by Pookie

Posted by stock

I didn't say I agree (at least totally). I am just saying you could understand the logic.
It's just funny that Dana says that Fedor is top 5, and people are still giving him shit for it.

Plus, I used to have Fedor #1 until his lack of fights. He has not fought anyone I would consider top competition since 2006. If he was fighting guys, he would still be #1.

I guess Franca, Florian, and Diaz were never in the top 10...

Right, when they fought not one of them were in the top ten.
Aether
2/11/08 2:17:04PM
Well for those of you who didn't actually bother to listen to the interview, White didn't say "Fedor is a top 5 heavyweight" he said "Ranked number five, heavyweight division" so yes, people have a legitimate reason to question his statement based on the fact that he almost definitely ranks nogueira higher than fedor despite the fact that fedor demolished him on more than one occasion.

You can call it MMAth if you want, fact is it's ridiculous to say that fighter A is better than fighter B when fighter B has beaten fighter A very badly more than once. The very fact that Nog is the UFC champ after 2 fights should validate Fedor's level of skill.
jrmmaclassics
2/11/08 3:28:29PM
Everyone should know by now that Dana is a promoter by nature, like in the interview. He says these types of things to get under people's skins and get a rise out of fighters and fans. You know that Dana thinks Fedor is one of the top heavyweight's in the world or he would have never even offered him a contract with the UFC. Dana is playing the role of instigator and just like in all breakups you say things that try to hurt or cause a response out of the person you direct it towards. He has gotten more of a response out of Fedor then anyone has prior, and might even get Fedor reconsidering a fight with Randy in the UFC. For all you people that believe everything Dana White says is true then wake-up, this is not the WWF although it might end up becoming the WWF if shit like this continues.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
stock
2/11/08 8:37:53PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by stock

Posted by Pookie

Posted by stock

I guess Franca, Florian, and Diaz were never in the top 10...

Right, when they fought not one of them were in the top ten.

You know we are getting off topic, but you are dead wrong if you are saying that Florian or Franca were not ranked in the top 10 when they fought Sherk. They were both #1 contenders for the belt. Regardless, I am more of a "now" person than a "when" person.
It was not long ago I had Fedor #1. However, I now have Couture and Nog ahead of him. Mostly just based on the fact of what they have done lately.
I really will not understand why people get so bent out of shape over someone else's personal rankings.
Does anyone really care what Dana thinks, or what I think, or what you think for that matter.
The truth is, nobody will know for sure until the fights happen. And even when they do happen, if they are not current enough, fighters abilities can change relative to others too.
I understand how you or someone else may think Fedor should be ranked higher than Nog right now. However, IMO it has been 3+ years since they last fought, and I don't think it is impossible that the tallent gap could have gotten closer in 3 years. Also, as others have pointed out, the "If A beat B & B beat C, then A is better than C" argument does not work well with fighters.
telnights
2/12/08 12:38:30AM

Posted by cmill21

I'm not sure what your trying to prove here. But lets take a look at what Dana said. "ranked number 5 in the HW division". So that means he thinks 4 other people are ranked above him. I don't see how this changes anything he has said. For one I don't back Dana for whatever he says. I just use common sense and I understand he is a promoter and the stuff he says is over the top sometimes but that doesn't make it a lie. I never said I agreed with Dana you just assumed I did. I agree Fedor is a good fighter but he also is avoiding the tough fights. I don't know why thats so hard for you to understand. So why is it that Fedor hasn't fought a top ten HW in 3 years? It isn't because their weren't opportunities to fight top ten fighters. Its because he is avoiding fights that his management and him think he may lose. Do you think what Dana said in this interview had anything to do with Fedor's letter. Fedor's open letter was a joke and was just for his fans. If he really wanted to tell Dana something he would have been in a closed letter or phone call. It was just a publicity stunt. So you could say Fedor is trying to promote himself. The hole letter made Fedor look desperate. Anyway I think some people are taking the interview way out on context and using that for their owns means. I don't understand why Fedor's fans spend so much time defending him when that shouldnt have to. If Fedor would have fought any real competition in the past 3 years we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Fedor isn't helping his cause at all by fighting even more cans.
rnctheworld
2/12/08 4:32:57AM
Dana must have thought, OMG the russian dude beat my world champion twice! I better give him a half decent number cause otherwise my champion might look like a chump ...
stock
2/12/08 9:07:09AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

I'm not sure what your trying to prove here. But lets take a look at what Dana said. "ranked number 5 in the HW division". So that means he thinks 4 other people are ranked above him. I don't see how this changes anything he has said. For one I don't back Dana for whatever he says. I just use common sense and I understand he is a promoter and the stuff he says is over the top sometimes but that doesn't make it a lie. I never said I agreed with Dana you just assumed I did. I agree Fedor is a good fighter but he also is avoiding the tough fights. I don't know why thats so hard for you to understand. So why is it that Fedor hasn't fought a top ten HW in 3 years? It isn't because their weren't opportunities to fight top ten fighters. Its because he is avoiding fights that his management and him think he may lose. Do you think what Dana said in this interview had anything to do with Fedor's letter. Fedor's open letter was a joke and was just for his fans. If he really wanted to tell Dana something he would have been in a closed letter or phone call. It was just a publicity stunt. So you could say Fedor is trying to promote himself. The hole letter made Fedor look desperate. Anyway I think some people are taking the interview way out on context and using that for their owns means. I don't understand why Fedor's fans spend so much time defending him when that shouldnt have to. If Fedor would have fought any real competition in the past 3 years we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Fedor isn't helping his cause at all by fighting even more cans.

Well put!