Dana White: No Return in sight for Brock Lesnar

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: No Return in sight for Brock Lesnar
Kpro
11/15/09 11:48:47AM
MANCHESTER, England -- Brock Lesnar will not be back in the UFC anytime soon, according to UFC president Dana White.

Speaking with the media after UFC 105, White indicated the heavyweight champion is very ill and will be out of action for the foreseeable future. He went on to state that an interim title match might need to be set up.

White did little to shed light on the specifics of Lesnar's condition, but he did say that the champion has been hospitalized.

"He's in a hospital up in North Dakota somewhere right now," said White. "He went to Canada and some bad stuff happened to him, so we've got to figure it out.

"He doesn't want to talk about it publicly, but he's in bad shape. He's not well and he's not going to be getting well anytime soon."

Lesnar pulled out of his Nov. 18 heavyweight title match with top contender Shane Carwin, and reports suggested he had swine flu. But when rumors began to circle about the rescheduled Jan. 2 date being in jeopardy, it was announced that Lesnar had mononucleosis and could be out even longer than originally thought.

Now, after White's comments, it is apparent that Lesnar is in more dire shape. He is not only suffering from mono but other ailments as well.

"He has other problems too," continued White, fielding a question about his diagnosis of mononucleosis. "He is not good. He is very, very sick and he's going to be out for a while."

White went on to state that the UFC would be doing everything in its power to help Lesnar.

"I am worried about it," said White of his biggest star's medical situation. "You know, I can't really talk about it right now, but he's in rough shape. He's in really bad shape … and we're going to have to do some stuff to take care of this guy. He is not well and he's not getting any better.

LINK
jaypap
11/15/09 11:57:18AM
H1N1
RyanC
11/15/09 11:59:54AM
Finally we get some decent info on what the hell is going on. If he is really really sick then I would imagine it's going to be quite some time before he is back in fighting shape. Start getting something in the works for an interim title. There are definitely some interesting possibilities in that department.
RyanC
11/15/09 12:01:29PM

Posted by jaypap

H1N1

It's not H1N1. They've said that repeatedly. He'd be fine by now if that was it.
Kpro
11/15/09 12:14:03PM
I don't want to hypothesize too much on it, but something like Renal Failure with Mono would be something that could keep someone out for a lengthy period and possibly even be fatal if not treated correctly. One of the main ways to get Renal Failure (kidneys not functioning properly) is dehydration, and stacked with mono would fit the bill for this timetable. And we all know with the amount of weight he cuts, possibly his dehydration affected his organs.

Again, NOT news, just speculating a little bit on what would be the most likely "mystery" other issues he's having.
RyanC
11/15/09 12:19:13PM

Posted by Kpro

I don't want to hypothesize too much on it, but something like Renal Failure with Mono would be something that could keep someone out for a lengthy period and possibly even be fatal if not treated correctly. One of the main ways to get Renal Failure (kidneys not functioning properly) is dehydration, and stacked with mono would fit the bill for this timetable. And we all know with the amount of weight he cuts, possibly his dehydration affected his organs.

Again, NOT news, just speculating a little bit on what would be the most likely "mystery" other issues he's having.

I would say some sort of complications from the mono are definitely a safe guess.

I guess I'm not really all too concerned about knowing the specifics of his illness. Lesnar's health is Lesnar's business. I hope he recovers ASAP and gets back to training and fighting, but in the mean time I would like to know what's going to happen within the division. There are definitely a lot of possibilities for an interim title match. Hopefully more information comes to light in the near future.
Kpro
11/15/09 12:21:09PM
So Carwin/Lesnar was called off, and Cain/Nog was called off.

What could they ever do for an interim belt......
Macheetah
11/15/09 3:10:49PM
Strip Lesnar of the title, set up Carwin/Velasquez. The MMA world shouldn't have to wait for Lesnar to return when they don't even know when he is coming back. He shouldn't be able to hold on to the title when he isn't even active. Let him come back and fight for it again when he is fine.
grappler0000
11/15/09 3:21:44PM

Posted by Macheetah

Strip Lesnar of the title, set up Carwin/Velasquez. The MMA world shouldn't have to wait for Lesnar to return when they don't even know when he is coming back. He shouldn't be able to hold on to the title when he isn't even active. Let him come back and fight for it again when he is fine.

The man just defended his title 4 months ago and you're ready to strip him of the belt? That's ridiculous! First of all, try to show some compassion for another human being, who's health happens to be suffering at the moment. Secondly, that's the purpose of an interim title...until x months have passed or we know for sure how long he will be out, there is no need to strip him of the title. If you feel that ripped off by people not able to defend a title for legitimate reasons, I'd hate to see what you'd say to Scott Coker.
higdon10
11/15/09 5:19:55PM
Hopefully we'll get Cain/Carwin for the interim belt.
Bloodhound
11/15/09 5:23:55PM
i agree Cain Vs Carwinn for the itnerm belt and let whoevers hodls the interm belt fight Lesnar when he eventually comes back
mk1630
11/15/09 5:38:08PM
Werent they talking about that fight a little bit ago anyways? i say set it up too.
Rush
11/15/09 8:19:32PM
Geez, blame it on the Canadians.

Well, I know someone that had mono and he said that after he recovered he lost so much in terms of body mass. He said he was a shell when he first recovered.

Brock may not be the same fighter when he returns, if he returns
prozacnation1978
11/15/09 11:20:06PM
a interim will have to happen for sure
cain vs dos santos if carwin can't do it
Jackelope
11/16/09 12:16:23AM

Posted by Kpro

I mentioned something similar to this in the other thread that was posted before this one. I'm suspecting either kidney or liver issues. Which only leads to even more questions.