Dana White responds to Josh Gross' letter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White responds to Josh Gross' letter
Manfred
7/21/07 2:17:31AM
LINK

No source, so I don't know if it's legit, but it's pretty funny
italianpride
7/21/07 2:56:38AM
based on threads on sherdog, and the replies on that link, and the profanity Dana uses, its real.
rcg916
7/21/07 4:45:44AM

Posted by italianpride

based on threads on sherdog, and the replies on that link, and the profanity Dana uses, its real. Now if only they can write him an open letter about rogaine

You analyzed his usage of profanity to come up with the conclusion that it was him? Wow. Youre a genius...

And you prove such with your next statement about rogaine.

This Sherdog/Gross issue is serious. These guys are going to single handedly spoil it for web based media. Which is sad, because there are some good blogs/sites out there... Just not ones that start with Sh and end with erdog.
spider1179
7/21/07 11:09:44AM
First, I highly doubt this was a response written by Dana. The fact that there are 2 curse words in it proves nothing.

Second, whoever wrote this bring up some very good points. I would be really interested in the results if athletic commissions tested all athletes.
Mayo
7/21/07 2:48:55PM
In analyzing the use of swear words I deduce that there is not enough profanity for this to truley be Dana
Piccosaur
7/21/07 2:59:29PM
Josh Gross got owned with this one. It's not Dana's fault the fighters choose to do steroids.
THE_DRiZzLE
7/21/07 3:25:28PM
I don't know who wrote it.. but it's F'ing hilarious yo.. I must admit though.. it does sound like a response he would write concerning the article.. certain points brought up sound like something Dana would say.. IMO
elysianwing
7/21/07 4:13:34PM

Posted by Piccosaur

Josh Gross got owned with this one. It's not Dana's fault the fighters choose to do steroids.

Not really. Sarcasm/subdued jabs + valid points > random insults + run-around answers.

Dana didn't really address anything brought up, he basically just spent all his time trying to burn Gross with something "super witty".

In the one/two areas he DID make a half-assed attempt at a rebuttal, he basically denies it is his responsibility and says its impossible to fix(because humans are imperfect and etc)

Yeah Dana thats true and everything...but as a promoter/individual in a seat of power, you are in a position where upon seeing the current system doesn't (really) work ....you COULD implement certain things that may, in fact, improve the condition.

Obviously Dana isn't personally/solely responsible for the problem and/or the users....and for Gross to imply that is a little much, but he is in a position of influence, and that DOES mean he is partially responsible for the problems/users in the ufc.

But, instead of thinking about what Gross said seriously, it'd probably be better if Dana just found 4 or 5 ways to call Sherwood fat, and Gross a nerd.

Whats that you say? Dana already did that? /shock

Surely the steroid problem is solved!
DevonFoxy
7/21/07 4:42:46PM
Obviously what Dana is doing is working as they are catching people using the illeagal performance enhancers. What is Dana White supposed to do go to all there training session with them and be their parents. He can't hold their hand. He does the testing and its obviously working as people are being caught. Dana suspends them and they don't get to fight. I guess I don't see how Dana could do more then what he's doing now. Everyone knows they are going to get tested. Everyone knows if they are cheating they are gonna get hit hard. How is not getting paid for a year not being strong enough?? I guess i fail to see where Dana failed.
elysianwing
7/21/07 5:29:26PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Obviously what Dana is doing is working as they are catching people using the illeagal performance enhancers. What is Dana White supposed to do go to all there training session with them and be their parents. He can't hold their hand. He does the testing and its obviously working as people are being caught. Dana suspends them and they don't get to fight. I guess I don't see how Dana could do more then what he's doing now. Everyone knows they are going to get tested. Everyone knows if they are cheating they are gonna get hit hard. How is not getting paid for a year not being strong enough?? I guess i fail to see where Dana failed.

Thats just a little naive imo.

Sort of simliar to if the police were saying they were winning the war on drugs because they've busted a couple crackheads.

The last ufc ppv....in a TITLE fight, both fighters tested positive.

This should NEVER happen.

More to the point though, these guys that are being caught, do you think they were all first-time users when they were busted or something?

The system is not working simply because they are catching a few guys.

A slap on the wrist fine and year long suspension clearly isn't enough of a deterrent.

With the influx of people getting caught using illegal substances, OBVIOUSLY mma has itself a huge problem that isn't going to be solved with the current regulations.

Perhaps Dana needs to impose regular testing(done by the ufc, not the government, and not simply just before/after a fight) for all of his fighters along with frequent random tests, and more severe punishment for offenders.

In any case, he may not be sitting on his hands doing nothing regarding this issue.....but he certainly isn't losing sleep because his arms are so sore/exhausted either.
creativedestruction
7/21/07 5:45:20PM
If it is Dana, he had help writing that letter.
DevonFoxy
7/21/07 5:53:29PM

Posted by elysianwing

With the influx of people getting caught using illegal substances, OBVIOUSLY mma has itself a huge problem that isn't going to be solved with the current regulations.

The influx of people being caught is because the testing is working. And if 'm loosing the money 3 fights a year can bring in then I'm definitely gonna listen up.Most of these guys fight for a living and a year w/o a fight is sumthing thats gonna hurt any fighter. People are gonna do things regardless of it being the right thing to do or the smart thing to do. The UFC has the best implemented strategy to keep the feild level. To sit there and say its not working because people are being caught makes no sense to me. I think this is just a way to show maybe people should pay more attention to what the UFC is doing because obviously if your a start or not your not immune to the suspensions. You may bring ratings but your still not fighting for a year. Which is gonna hurt any fighter out there.
italianpride
7/21/07 5:53:32PM

Posted by rcg916

Posted by italianpride

based on threads on sherdog, and the replies on that link, and the profanity Dana uses, its real. Now if only they can write him an open letter about rogaine

You analyzed his usage of profanity to come up with the conclusion that it was him? Wow. Youre a genius...

And you prove such with your next statement about rogaine.

This Sherdog/Gross issue is serious. These guys are going to single handedly spoil it for web based media. Which is sad, because there are some good blogs/sites out there... Just not ones that start with Sh and end with erdog.

First of all Diaz brothers stay in your lane. Second of all you're the genius, you're the one who thinks a beef between Josh Gross, an internet mma journalist from a large INDEPENDENT website and the President of the UFC is "serious." Josh Gross is a nobody, as is Sherwood, which is why I believe Dana wrote that letter dismissing them as the nobodies they are. Even if he didn't write that letter, I'm sure he thinks those exact thoughts.

The line about profanity and rogaine was a joke, I bet mma fighters laugh at the fact fans are so die hard FOR A PROMOTER and feel a personal connection with him.

Steroids are in every major form of athletic competition. The Olympics, NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Soccer and even CYCLING. Not to mention the WWE fiasco and all the heat that's getting. You think the UFC has it bad?? That's a joke, look at Fedor, Shogun, BJ Penn etc. Are those guys cut?? Their talent and skill is why they dominate. Only guys who want to look like WWE wrestlers (Sherk) and rely on power alone would juice up. Sure there's been Barnett, Sylvia, Nastula etc. But the problem of steroids is HUGE and to think this will crush the UFC or the problem is even a "serious" one, especially relating to a rogue internet journalist, is absolutely genius.
Manfred
7/22/07 12:57:39AM
One thing I didn't agree with is Dana (or whoever) slamming Sherdog and other "fan boy" websites. What the hell does he think kept MMA alive during the "dark years"?

Regardless. I think the UFC will do something about this. He's getting mainstream press about it because Yahoo sports has also wrote an artilce asking Dana to address it and I think others (Fox, ESPN, ect) might follow)
BeaturAss
7/22/07 11:09:11AM
Don't believe everything that you read online as "Legit" especially this supposed to be reply from Dana White...

First there is no source where it came from...

- if Dana White is going to reply to Gross he will use ufc.com not some underground website that's just going to get visitor hits on their website.

2. He was saying that UFC has real media why not use those media

- To tell you frankly sherdog.com is a lot more knowledgeable when it comes to MMA than those real media on that alleged Dana White reply

3. No signature of Dana White on that reply

- Even if you just graduated from high school in english writing class you should know that this alleged reply is BOGUS!!

Stickan
7/25/07 8:47:25AM

Posted by elysianwing

Posted by Piccosaur

Not really. Sarcasm/subdued jabs + valid points > random insults + run-around answers.

Dana didn't really address anything brought up, he basically just spent all his time trying to burn Gross with something "super witty".

In the one/two areas he DID make a half-assed attempt at a rebuttal, he basically denies it is his responsibility and says its impossible to fix(because humans are imperfect and etc)

Yeah Dana thats true and everything...but as a promoter/individual in a seat of power, you are in a position where upon seeing the current system doesn't (really) work ....you COULD implement certain things that may, in fact, improve the condition.

Obviously Dana isn't personally/solely responsible for the problem and/or the users....and for Gross to imply that is a little much, but he is in a position of influence, and that DOES mean he is partially responsible for the problems/users in the ufc.

But, instead of thinking about what Gross said seriously, it'd probably be better if Dana just found 4 or 5 ways to call Sherwood fat, and Gross a nerd.

Whats that you say? Dana already did that? /shock

Surely the steroid problem is solved!

Best post I've seen in long time. The "Not really. Sarcasm/subdued jabs + valid points > random insults + run-around answers." line really sums it up. I can't believe people actually fall for this kind of ways to respond. Dana's just childish and is only attacking and insulting on a personal level to avoid answering the real topics.
The sad part about it is that 95% of everyone who reads Danas letter backs him up for it. It's like we're back in kindergarden and the meanest kid is always right.
DougDrex
7/25/07 3:44:26PM
This is not from Dana White. There are too many blatant factual errors.