Dana White Responds to ESPN

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana White Responds to ESPN
grappler0000
1/16/12 1:03:14PM
OTL - UFC Fighter Pay:

Video

Dana's response:

Video

And if you want to watch the entire 47 minute UNCUT video of Lorenzo's interview with ESPN:

Video
Poor_Franklin
1/16/12 1:17:17PM
UFC always does their hw. great vid!
grappler0000
1/16/12 2:36:41PM
The beautiful part is when he asks Lorenzo why he wanted to film the interview. Uh, this is why.
Aether
1/16/12 5:17:57PM
I actually have to say that I don't think this is really negative. I think that this is just a style of interview that allows for the interviewee to address the criticisms that people have as either being false or misconstrued. The interviewer doesn't really attack any of Lorenzo's responses as being false, I think he gives Lorenzo all kinds of opportunities to dispel rumours that are floating around.

On top of that, they intercut the interview with a bunch of clips of UFC fighters talking about how amazing the UFC is and how many opportunities they've been given. I can't imagine they would've structured it like this, where they ask a tough question, lorenzo explains the truth, and then they show chuck liddell talking about how amazing the UFC is if they were really trying to make them look bad.

I don't see much that was even edited out other than when they repeated things that had already been covered. Lorenzo gets a chance to address a ton of public criticism and dispel all kinds of rumours, I think the UFC comes out of this interview looking pretty good actually.
Aether
1/16/12 5:19:55PM
I actually think the UFC looks better in the edited interview than in the uncut one.
Geoffo
1/16/12 6:13:19PM

Posted by Aether

I actually have to say that I don't think this is really negative. I think that this is just a style of interview that allows for the interviewee to address the criticisms that people have as either being false or misconstrued. The interviewer doesn't really attack any of Lorenzo's responses as being false, I think he gives Lorenzo all kinds of opportunities to dispel rumours that are floating around.

On top of that, they intercut the interview with a bunch of clips of UFC fighters talking about how amazing the UFC is and how many opportunities they've been given. I can't imagine they would've structured it like this, where they ask a tough question, lorenzo explains the truth, and then they show chuck liddell talking about how amazing the UFC is if they were really trying to make them look bad.

I don't see much that was even edited out other than when they repeated things that had already been covered. Lorenzo gets a chance to address a ton of public criticism and dispel all kinds of rumours, I think the UFC comes out of this interview looking pretty good actually.

The interviewer can't attack Lorenzo's responses cause Lorenzo and Dana are on a whole nother level. ESPN never liked UFC, they obviously don't do their homework correctly or in-depth. I'm not bashing ESPN... but... they bit more than they can chew.
Aether
1/16/12 6:21:13PM
-edit-

OK I realized that the actual edited interview is not even contained here, the first link is the UFC's version of the interview.

So the actual final product has not even been posted here and we're arguing about it.
Kpro
1/16/12 6:31:36PM
I just watched both and thought they both came off looking good for the UFC.

I was expecting a largely negative horribly edited piece.
Kpro
1/16/12 6:35:27PM
Hoooooooold up, nevermind.

"a portion that didn't make it on the air, in which Fertitta said UFC fighters make better money than boxers who fight on ESPN."

That was in both links so neither were the one that aired.

LINK to ESPN version

EDIT: Yeah, report was definitely bullshit. Now Dana & the Fertitta's both are I'm sure done with ESPN and their horribly biased stores.

to ESPN.

I linked, on ESPN underneath the video, to the 47 minute unedited version posted here on the PG. Get some ESPN traffic our way
Aether
1/16/12 6:48:54PM
Yeah I thought that the first link was the cut interview, it's actually the UFC's version of the interview using the same footage.

Now that I've seen the actual edited interview it's pretty bad. The raw, unedited footage (what is posted here) actually makes the UFC look very good, the video Kpro posted doesn't.
grappler0000
1/16/12 7:07:49PM
I thought everybody had already seen the original or I would've posted it...maybe I'll do that now.
grappler0000
1/16/12 7:15:22PM
Another thing that I found funny was they mentioned that they talked with past, present, and future UFC figthers...just paraphrasing. What sort of insight does a fighter that's never fought for them have? And how much of their input was stated during the interview process?
Kpro
1/16/12 7:21:53PM
And 47 minutes without one factual source for their information (that i recall) and all fighter comments were anonymous. So every single question and reference by ESPN had zero factual basis. I'm sure the positive comments (that weren't mentioned) weren't anonymous, but instead thrown in the trash because they didn't fit the way ESPN wanted to portray the UFC.
Aether
1/16/12 7:36:56PM
it's pretty bad, especially when you see the raw footage and then see how they paraphrased things to make them sound considerably worse, or re-used statements that had been clearly refuted by Lorenzo.

I thought around the halfway point that they were starting to kind of show the other side of the coin, but they really only barely allowed any of Lorenzo's responses to make the cut.
grappler0000
1/16/12 7:42:35PM

Posted by Aether

I thought around the halfway point that they were starting to kind of show the other side of the coin, but they really only barely allowed any of Lorenzo's responses to make the cut.

That was purely to trick the casual viewing audience into believing they're watching a balanced report on the topic. Joke's on them.
Adrenaline
1/16/12 8:30:18PM

Posted by Kpro

I linked, on ESPN underneath the video, to the 47 minute unedited version posted here on the PG. Get some ESPN traffic our way

I noticed the link to MMAPG before I read the thread and didn't realize it was you. Well done Kpro

And on a side note, ESPN is getting a lot of hate in the comment section of their own article....love it.
grappler0000
1/16/12 9:12:01PM
Anyone else think Chuck looks funny when his mohawk needs a trim?
Adrenaline
1/16/12 10:47:11PM

Posted by grappler0000

Anyone else think Chuck looks funny when his mohawk needs a trim?

It does look pretty funny in a goofy/badass way. I'm not gonna be the guy to tell him though
ChokeUout
1/17/12 12:27:48AM
I think it's funny that the two people that ESPN interviewed were Monte Cox and Ken Shamrock, two people who have well known problems with the UFC. Monte Cox doesn't exactly have the best reputation with promoters (not just the UFC), and Ken Shamrock made millions with the UFC through PPV's, TUF, and the exposure he got with the UFC was insane. Quite frankly, he sounds like a whiney little kid in this interview.

In the UFC version of the interview, I LOVE how they quote Ken talking to Tito, saying "We made a lot of money together"...lol

Anyways, the OTL report was pretty much what I thought it'd be, and was similar to the one they did with Dana awhile ago. It's not until you see the full 47 minute interview with Lorenzo that you realize what a hack job that ESPN did with this. They had no intention of doing an objective interview. They had their mind made up on what the message was going to be before they did this interview.

And John Barr had the balls to ask why they wanted to tape ESPN interviewing them? Really? I guess he knows now. It's one thing for OTL to do this to the NFL, MLB or the NBA. They are firmly planted in American culture, so a piece like this on them won't hurt them. But for the UFC, a piece like this would be much more damaging.

And it's for this reason I'm Glad Lorenzo did the interview rather than Dana. For obvious reasons.
roadking95th
1/17/12 3:17:03PM
This is what ESPN does. They need stories to drive the viewership.

I saw this when they first started to cover a lot of NASCAR. They would sensationalize trivial things or misrepresent things.

The latest example being the Sandusky scandal. They completely butchered PSU on that one.

I always had reservations about ESPN getting more involved with MMA. They spin stories.