Dana White: "I think there will be a rematch" between Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: "I think there will be a rematch" between Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua
AchillesHeel
10/25/09 10:07:36AM
Dana White: "I think there will be a rematch" between Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua

by John Morgan on Oct 25, 2009 at 5:05 am ET

LOS ANGELES – Never one to bite his tongue, UFC president Dana White didn't take long to express his feelings on the main event of Saturday night's "UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun" in Los Angeles.

"I thought 'Shogun' won the fight," White said as UFC 104's post-fight press conference opened.

White was just as displeased as most fans in attendance at Staples Center, as well as the majority of viewers at home, that champion Lyoto Machida was awarded a unanimous-decision win over challenger Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. But unlike the rest of those complaining, White can schedule a rematch – and it looks like he will.

cont.
ncordless
10/25/09 10:34:22AM
I don't agree with Dana that either fighter should have pushed at the end of the round. Last night was a fight between two very dangerous strikers. If either fighter tried to force it at the end of the round to pick it up they easily could have been KOed by a counter.
MiniMan
10/25/09 10:59:23AM

The whole 5 minutes of round 5, I was standing out of my chair, Praying that Shogun didnt get too reckless and give Lyoto a easy counter and waste his 4 rounds of kicking ass, But we all know what happened next...

I think its sad on the UFC.COM forums how nearly everyone is blaming Dana, The UFC or even Machida. Out of their hands!

But what gets me going, Is If Machida beats Shogun properly, Thats 2 wins over him, No rubber match would ever probally happen. Unless your Ken shamrock (Lost to Tito 3 times)

Sad day for MMA fans, Sadder day for Shogun...
ncordless
10/25/09 11:05:35AM

Posted by MiniMan

The whole 5 minutes of round 5, I was standing out of my chair, Praying that Shogun didnt get too reckless and give Lyoto a easy counter and waste his 4 rounds of kicking ass, But we all know what happened next...

I think its sad on the UFC.COM forums how nearly everyone is blaming Dana, The UFC or even Machida. Out of their hands!

But what gets me going, Is If Machida beats Shogun properly, Thats 2 wins over him, No rubber match would ever probally happen. Unless your Ken shamrock (Lost to Tito 3 times)

Yeah, but fans will always remember this fight and know the truth.
benshirk
10/25/09 11:40:38AM
This fight is the reason why they should push it at the end of the rounds, if not the whole round. You let it go to the judges you let it out of your hands. Next time finish the fight and you can't complain about what happens. I am not saying machida won. But he got the decision. I can't say either really won the fight.
Ordep
10/25/09 12:28:57PM

Once a rape, always a rape...

Shogun came prepared with the best gameplan and exposed Machida. The blueprint to beat the backpedaling was made available for all other fighters. Now Machida knows that he needs another strategy and Shogun doesn't know what to expect on a rematch. Of course, if you are the real champion you need to be ready for everything so don't take this as a pre-fight excuse for the rematch. The point is, rematch doesn't fix anything and gives Machida an advantage to keep a clean record after this.

for the record" wateched the fight 3 times (1,bar with limited commentary,2, replay w/ commentary, 3, replay w/o commentary) and still can't make the case for Machida winning 3(or more) rounds based on official rules.
nickcuc547
10/25/09 12:51:42PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by MiniMan

Yeah, but fans will always remember this fight and know the truth.

exactly, does anybody still believe that bisping beat hammil (although that decision was far worse than this one imo). To me this is vindication for shogun, and I love it that he is going to get his rematch, it is going to be highly anticipated and we are going to see both fighters come in with a big chip on their shoulders (machida wants vindication and shogun wants to prove he was robbed last time). Love the fact that these two are fighting again, love it.
RearNakedJoke
10/25/09 1:39:59PM
shogun said in the post fight that he didnt really push the pace in the 5th because his corner said he won the first 4 rounds. his mistake you never want to leave it to the judges. machida looked like the leg kicks had slowed him towards the end of the 4th and his punches werent looking as hard. i think shogun could have pushed the pace and finished him.

i was on the fence on the first round thats the round that gave machida the fight imo. i gave machida 2-3 and shogun 4-5 but that first could have gone either way for me.

either way Shogun put on a great showing last night. people wont be doubting him the way they have in his last couple fights. I know I wont.
spikerman19
10/25/09 2:27:30PM
There needs to be an immediate rematch. Just like with Tim and Andrei.
Chuteboxer
10/25/09 2:59:12PM
Please Dana, give Shogun an immediate rematch. He's the real champ in my eyes.
KoldKhaos
10/25/09 3:19:43PM
The CSAC can all go F*** themselves and each other.

That or Dana orchistrated the most boss move in all of sports to hype up Machida vs Silva.

Dana has been one to tell fighters one thing (Henderson)
and do another.
mshalosky
10/25/09 3:47:35PM
I thought the fight could have gone either way shogun definetely won 4 and 5 but the other three were so close. I could see how the judges gave machida the 48-47 win. I think its funny that a guy with a record of 2-2 in the ufc is fighting for the title saying that he does deserves the rematch
wrona666
10/25/09 6:17:52PM
I agree it was a bad decision although i was not surprised, but it still does not compare to the Bisping vs Hamill decision.........
RyanC
10/25/09 6:27:16PM

Posted by wrona666

I agree it was a bad decision although i was not surprised, but it still does not compare to the Bisping vs Hamill decision.........

I'm not quite sure why people are comparing this bad decision to others. It was a different fight, different fighters, different ref (I think), and probably different judges. There really is nothing to compare between the two. Not to mention the stakes for this fight were much higher considering the light heavyweight belt was on the line. Apples vs. Oranges IMPO.
C-TOWN
10/25/09 9:14:03PM
There should a rematch between Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua only because I want to see them go at it again
spikerman19
10/25/09 10:18:21PM

Posted by mshalosky

I thought the fight could have gone either way shogun definetely won 4 and 5 but the other three were so close. I could see how the judges gave machida the 48-47 win. I think its funny that a guy with a record of 2-2 in the ufc is fighting for the title saying that he does deserves the rematch

He does deserve a rematch, the 205 division is the most stacked division but lacks a true #1 contender. The reason is everybody beats everyone in that division. No one can keep the title in that division.
SamPan
10/25/09 10:44:34PM
I hope they rematch and Rua wins so Anderson Silva can take the top spot there
prozacnation1978
10/25/09 10:46:12PM
i wouldn't mine seeing it again back to back like slyvia and andre

but i sure pray it won't be in march seeing it live once was good enough
The_Metal_Maniac
10/26/09 10:26:21AM
Shogun didn't look himself against Forest, Coleman, nor did he look to part against Chuck. I believe Machida may have prepared for that version of Shogun. Machida should have prepared for the version of Shogun that displayed all of his "backne", my implication is stated.
jgtribbett
10/26/09 12:29:49PM
i'm just glad that dana decided to set up a rematch.. it needs to happen.
BloodMeridian
10/26/09 7:26:15PM
It was pretty clear to me that Shogun won the fifth, despite being a bit more cautious. But even if Shogun had gone balls to the wall in the 5th and dominated, nothing about that fight says Shogun would have been likely to finish. On the scorecards all three judges gave the 5th to Shogun. Getting a 10-8 in a fight that close up until that point is extremely unlikely to happen. So all this talk of "he-should-have-pushed-harder-in-the-fifth" is moot.

Round 1: toss up, I can see it going either way
Round 2: Shogun
Round 3: Machida (the only clear round in his favor IMO)
Round 4: very close, I can see it going either way, but I give the nod to Shogun
Round 5: Shogun

Rua dominated in the clinch, got the better of overall striking, did more damage and was consistently more aggressive. I'm surprised it didn't get, at least a split decision. At the absolute worst the I could see a split decision in favor of Machida. But this should have been a 48-47 or better for Shogun.