Dana White ready for a war on Chuck Liddell retirement issue

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White ready for a war on Chuck Liddell retirement issue
Next Page »
MMAcca
4/22/09 5:39:38PM
“Chuck Liddell is stupid rich. Chuck Liddell is done. He’s got nothing left to prove. He’s the most famous guy on Earth. I love him like a ******* brother and I don’t want to see him get hurt. There is no reason for it. He’s ******* 40 years old man. These guys that are fighting now are young, explosive, fast ******* kids who are well rounded mixed martial artists. There’s no ******* reason for Chuck Liddell to be out there at 40 years old still fighting. I don’t want to make a ******* nickel off that ever.

LINK
Styles
4/22/09 5:42:20PM
The more and more he talks, the more and more he drops the F-bomb.... good ol' Dana White.
LakieMan
4/22/09 5:47:24PM
What can I say he can run a buisness, he wants the best of the best fighting for him.
The_Ho_Bag
4/22/09 5:59:37PM
i sadly agree with dana white.

chuck has done so much for the sport , but the new comers are more rounded.
chuck is too one-dimensional and always has been but he got away with it for so long.

WAR Chuck
cloud301336
4/22/09 6:19:25PM
All i can say is WAR CHUCK
motorboatensob
4/22/09 6:25:45PM
Where were all you guys when I was getting flogged on every post about Chuck over the past years. Now everyone likes him and sad to see him go where were you all when I needed ya
prozacnation1978
4/22/09 6:55:16PM
i think dana should have chuck finish off his contract then havehim in the booth with rogan and goldie
soundboy1
4/22/09 7:07:48PM

Posted by LakieMan

What can I say he can run a buisness, he wants the best of the best fighting for him.

Except Fedor
mrsmiley
4/22/09 7:20:46PM
I agree with Dana to the extent that Chuck has nothing left to prove.

But I would like to hear Chuck talk about his retirment.
It seems like Dana makes a bigger issue about it than Chuck.
But I guess we all know what Chuck would say.
He wants to fight again.
cmill21
4/22/09 7:26:11PM
Chucks problem isn't that he's not well rounded, it's that he's just not that great in the stand up. People really need to call a spade a spade here, he has no defense for punches or kicks. The thing is when he was in his hay day he was destroying guys that coulden't stand with him because they're stand up was weak and they coulden't get him into their world because he has awsome takedowns. Chuck hasn't really gotten worse IMO, he's just fighting people who has good stand up and he's getting exposed.
mach
4/22/09 7:52:02PM
^^^His knees are all messed up too, he doesn't kick anymore ^^^
postman
4/22/09 7:57:39PM

Posted by cmill21

Chucks problem isn't that he's not well rounded, it's that he's just not that great in the stand up. People really need to call a spade a spade here, he has no defense for punches or kicks. The thing is when he was in his hay day he was destroying guys that coulden't stand with him because they're stand up was weak and they coulden't get him into their world because he has awsome takedowns. Chuck hasn't really gotten worse IMO, he's just fighting people who has good stand up and he's getting exposed.

His ability to take a punch has droped and I think he has lost some power same with Wandy and you need to look no farthewr then their fight to see this those 2 punched each other for 15 min and neither got a ko.
ziegler3334
4/22/09 8:00:22PM

Posted by soundboy1

Posted by LakieMan

Except Fedor

can always count on fedor being brought up in any post about dana white
StPierreCanada
4/22/09 8:04:35PM
I think Chuck should make decisions for Chuck.

I am glad Shogun won, but I do feel bad for Chuck though, he is a legend and one of the greatest of all time IMO, he really paved the way for a lot of people.
soundboy1
4/22/09 8:22:20PM

Posted by ziegler3334

Posted by soundboy1

Posted by LakieMan

Except Fedor

can always count on fedor being brought up in any post about dana white

Hehe had to do it.
wapttn
4/22/09 8:27:11PM

Posted by cmill21

As I was reading your post I was thinking "I agree, I think i'll prop this guy" but by the end of the post, I completely disagree. Your right saying that the problem isn't that he's 2 dimensional (takedown defense and counter striking)... when you have the ability to control where the fight takes place and the ability to finish your opponents.. thats all the dimensions you need. You're wrong saying that his sub par standup game is being exposed. Age has taken away his speed and reflexes creating openings in his striking defense. He's been knocked down in all of his last five fights... his opponents have exploited the openings, and now his chin is gone. The shot that shogun landed really didn't look like a blow that should've knocked anyone other than goulet out.

If he's a subpar striker then why was he able to outstrike wanderlei who is one of the most feared strikers in mma history? If you consider liddell to be a sub par striker because he's getting beat in the standup by up and coming fighters then the same argument would apply to crocop would it not? He was outpointed by kongo... knocked out cold by gonzaga... and was being controlled and beaten by Overeem until he started landing illegal knees

CwB
4/22/09 8:46:06PM
Chuck Liddell is now 40 years old... lets see how well some of these younger guys stand up looks at 40 years old

I agree chuck never had the best technical striking but years ago he could bounce back from a hard shot and his punches could knock you out at any angle. I dont call aging out being exposed
sparky
4/22/09 8:47:22PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I agree with Dana to the extent that Chuck has nothing left to prove.

But I would like to hear Chuck talk about his retirment.
It seems like Dana makes a bigger issue about it than Chuck.
But I guess we all know what Chuck would say.
He wants to fight again.

I completely agree with you im tired of hearing all of this BS chucky hasnt even said anything about retirement yet........Let Chuck decide whats best for him!!!!

Chuck Liddell will always be one of the GREATS!!!!!!!
crushedbacon
4/22/09 9:27:43PM
Just more self-glorifying **** from Dana....he doesn't wanna see Chuck get hurt, he doesn't want to make a nickel off that, so he's not letting him fight anymore........... For him being one of Chuck's best friends' you'd think the guy would communicate these thoughts to him in private. Maybe give Chuck a little dignity and let him step aside on his own even if he has to encourage him privately. Point being don't strong arm him into retirement publicly, to me that's classless. Especially one of the guys that your company was built around.
theguido
4/22/09 9:42:24PM
I think if they can come up with a good matchup for him then yeah let him fight but all in all I agree with Dana.

Anyone smell Lidell Coture 4
cmill21
4/22/09 10:01:06PM

Posted by wapttn

As I was reading your post I was thinking "I agree, I think i'll prop this guy" but by the end of the post, I completely disagree. Your right saying that the problem isn't that he's 2 dimensional (takedown defense and counter striking)... when you have the ability to control where the fight takes place and the ability to finish your opponents.. thats all the dimensions you need. You're wrong saying that his sub par standup game is being exposed. Age has taken away his speed and reflexes creating openings in his striking defense. He's been knocked down in all of his last five fights... his opponents have exploited the openings, and now his chin is gone. The shot that shogun landed really didn't look like a blow that should've knocked anyone other than goulet out.

If he's a subpar striker then why was he able to outstrike wanderlei who is one of the most feared strikers in mma history? If you consider liddell to be a sub par striker because he's getting beat in the standup by up and coming fighters then the same argument would apply to crocop would it not? He was outpointed by kongo... knocked out cold by gonzaga... and was being controlled and beaten by Overeem until he started landing illegal knees

He was able to outstrike Wand because Wand did the exact same thing as Chuck, throw all bombs and not utilize kicks or anything for that matter. Out of his fights before the Rampage fight(UFC one) who was the best striker he's faced? Guy Mezgner or Overeem IMO, and Overeem was beating him until he gassed, other then that he fought wrestlers and JJ guys. Now I'm not saying Chuck wasn't good, he had huge power, quick hands and amazing TDD, but the UFC's best fighters were ground guys before, now the majority of the LHW class has great striking. Striking has two parts, offense and defense, Chuck is completly missing one of those parts. And no it woulden't apply to Cro Cop unless you consider Remy, Peter, Greco, Bernardo ect sub par strikers...lol
Amigop
4/22/09 10:36:24PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i think dana should have chuck finish off his contract then havehim in the booth with rogan and goldie

i thnk he would be great as a commentator
slapshot
4/23/09 1:39:43AM
First of all the dude is 40 yrs old so anyone who acts like he's in his prime and is now being "exposed" really has not thought out what they are typing ... I hope.

Second of all it is a medical FACT once you have a concussion you are more likely to have another and the downward spiral begins. Chuck has had 3 KO's due to concussion in a very short time frame.

Now, I dont think too much of his power has left him nor do I think his defense was all that bad but age has had just enough of a negative impact and the fact he seems to be more and more susceptible to concussion IE that shot he took that should not have put him out IMO that I dont think we are getting the total story about how healthy chuck is.

I hope they do something special for his retirement, chuck has earned a grand ending to a awesome career.

Drudinh
4/23/09 2:06:43AM

Posted by theguido

I think if they can come up with a good matchup for him then yeah let him fight but all in all I agree with Dana.

Anyone smell Lidell Coture 4

no
slapshot
4/23/09 2:06:56AM

Posted by cmill21
He was able to outstrike Wand because Wand did the exact same thing as Chuck, throw all bombs and not utilize kicks or anything for that matter. Out of his fights before the Rampage fight(UFC one) who was the best striker he's faced? Guy Mezgner or Overeem IMO, and Overeem was beating him until he gassed, other then that he fought wrestlers and JJ guys. Now I'm not saying Chuck wasn't good, he had huge power, quick hands and amazing TDD, but the UFC's best fighters were ground guys before, now the majority of the LHW class has great striking. Striking has two parts, offense and defense, Chuck is completly missing one of those parts. And no it woulden't apply to Cro Cop unless you consider Remy, Peter, Greco, Bernardo ect sub par strikers...lol

Ill tell you what, get back to me when rampage 31, Wandy 33, and shogun 28, are 40 and lets see how they would stack up against liddell. TBH I dont even think one of them will be fighting on a main card at that age.
cmill21
4/23/09 4:23:51AM

Posted by slapshot

Ill tell you what, get back to me when rampage 31, Wandy 33, and shogun 28, are 40 and lets see how they would stack up against liddell. TBH I dont even think one of them will be fighting on a main card at that age.

Well considering all of them but Shogun have more fights then Chuck I will agree with you. But remember Chucks prime time was from 2004-2006 and had his 3 biggest wins right before he faced Rampage the second time...Chucks fight age isn't that bad, he doesn't have a ton of fights on his body, and fight age does matter. I don't really see any changes in Chuck, he was beating Rashad pretty handily, so he can't be that out of it considering thats the current champ.
Focker101
4/23/09 7:26:05AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by slapshot

Well considering all of them but Shogun have more fights then Chuck I will agree with you. But remember Chucks prime time was from 2004-2006 and had his 3 biggest wins right before he faced Rampage the second time...Chucks fight age isn't that bad, he doesn't have a ton of fights on his body, and fight age does matter. I don't really see any changes in Chuck, he was beating Rashad pretty handily, so he can't be that out of it considering thats the current champ.

CMILL Chuck has a 20 - 2 kickboxing record as well which although is not the same as MMA but it is still combat

now with that being said I agree completely with you, the only reason why it cant be called being exposed is because he is now pushing 40 however if he fought these same strikers back in his glory days the outcome would still be the same chuck taking a nap oh wait that did happen that would have been Liddell Rampage 1

I don't think Chuck needs to retire just yet I would like to see one more fight out of him, just because everyone wrote Shogun off.. now that he has beat Chuck everyone figures Chuck is done, I don't agree Shogun is a nasty striker and the guy who said that shot should not have put Chuck on his back is insane Shogun was moving completely forward where Chuck was moving back not circling out, then Shogun did exactly what he does best finishing a injured fighter and I would like to see Couture Chuck 4
dangerfield
4/23/09 7:37:31AM
Surely Vitor Belfort was the best striker Chuck Liddel faced. And he got a unanimous decision win in that fight.

Chucks striking defence isn't great but that was actually what made him a very dangerous striker, he had his hands down which drew fighters on to him and worked very well for his counter punching style. The problem is now fighters know that's what his trying to do, know his reflexs are pretty poo and his chin has gone from granit to chalk. Punches he would have countered get through and those punches he would have taken on the chin and been able to trade off of turn the lights off.
slapshot
4/23/09 2:21:30PM

Posted by cmill21

Its not about the number of fights even though thats a valid point, I dont see any of the three being able to compete at that age even if they had the same number of fights as chuck.

You dont think his fight age is that bad?

First of all its not always the quantity of the punishment your body has taken its also the severity.

IMO Liddell has not been the same fighter from the second fight with rampage all the way till now, that is just my opinion.

So lets see, in a interview a few years ago he wa asked about his legs he replied I cant kick with them like I use to, that was three years ago. Thats a change.

Its easy to see he cant take a punch anymore and it just keeps getting less difficult to knock him out. Thats a change.

He would have KO'd wandy and Jardine had these fights happened a few years prior and even though the Cliché is power is the last thing to leave, IMO some of his power is slipping. Thats a change

If you listen to Dana closely there is always a reference to chuck getting hurt as of late and IMO I think he knows some info we can only speculate on.

Liddell is not the greatest fighter of all time however he is one of the best in his weight class there is no way in the world you can say that at this point in his career shogun fought THE BEST chuck liddell anyone could fight nor can anyone claim he was exposed as a bad striker because he is already in his twilight.

CwB
4/23/09 5:48:44PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by wapttn

Chuck's notable wins over strikers
Mezger, overeem, Wandy, Belfort

Wandys notable wins over strikers
Rampage, mezger, henderson,

Shoguns notable wins over strikers
chuck, rampage, overeem, lil nog

rampages notable wins over strikers
silva, henderson, chuck, Igor

WAR Chuck
Pages: [1] 2