Dana White: Randy Couture Offered Fight with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Randy Couture Offered Fight with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Next Page »
POLL: So Couture or Nog for the win?
Couture 51% (41)
Nog 49% (39)
SmileR
3/2/08 7:45:07PM
“We offered (Couture) the fight last week, and we’re waiting to hear back from him,” White said.

He didn’t mention a possible date or venue for the event.

White also confirmed that he had offered Couture the fight with Nogueira once before. However, Nogueira wasn’t the interim champ at the time, and he hopes that may be enough to sway Couture into returning to the ring.

Link
MALICE
3/2/08 8:00:01PM
I don't think Randy's resignation/retirement was an honorable or respectful thing to do. I know a lot of other fans feel the same way. I think if Randy took this fight he could save face.
wapttn
3/2/08 8:51:56PM
agreed. Couture claims to have 2-3 fights left in his career but apparently wants to save them all for fedor? Thats disrespectful towards nog because he wanted to fight fedor to establish who was no1 in the world.. problem is that he hadnt beatent he currently ranked no2 (nog). Couture faired far better against sylvia than nog did for the first two rounds.. but the difference is that sylvia had back problems and Nog actually finished sylvia. Couture's employment contract ends in around 6 months or so right? which is plenty of time to schedule a fight with Nog. If couture dodges this fight so he can maintain the marketability of the couture/fedor fight then he's lost all of my respect.

One of the things that makes this sport so attractive, to me at least, is the concept of a soul fighter... the fighters who will fight any one, or want to fight the best.. not just to please the crowd, and especially not for a pay day, but because they love to fight. If couture doesnt take this fight, it says to me that he's lost that passion and respect for the fight game and cares only to establish himself as the no1 heavyweight of all time through the easiest means possible. Seriously... 2-3 fights left? if ur the best heavy weight of all time, beat nog, beat fedor, rematch fedor, beat him again and solidify your legacy. Stop pulling a karo and ducking the no1 contender because you think ur gonna get a "title shot" if you just wait.
MALICE
3/2/08 9:00:47PM
Very well put. Props.
wolfgarnaud
3/2/08 9:43:35PM
and who are you to talk about respect and honorable things?... who are you anyways?

this whole thing represents the sport of MMA not the UFC,
the best figthers should be allow to fight the best in the world even if it is in other organization, the UFC doesnt respect that, and they always talk about like if they really do.

you care more about what randy did to try to left the organization than what Randy Couture is for MMA. he doesnt need to fight Nogueira. the only fight that really needs to happen is against Fedor Emelianenko,

whats the point of Dana White saying those things?
MALICE
3/2/08 9:53:33PM

Posted by wolfgarnaud

and who are you to talk about respect and honorable things?... who are you anyways?

the best figthers should be allow to fight the best in the world even if it is in other organization, the UFC doesnt respect that, and they always talk about like if they really do.

you care more about what randy did to try to left the organization than what Randy Couture is for MMA. he doesnt need to fight Nogueira. the only fight that really needs to happen is against Fedor Emelianenko,

How does it represent the sport of mma? It represents 1 fight in the sport of mma.

Yup, he should be able to fight wherever he wants. And who is stopping him? Oh yeah......that tiny little piece of paper he signed, which he is now choosing to not Honor..

I don't see how Randy is on a pedestal above Nogueira. Fedor beat Nogueira, so he doesn't need to fight him. But, Randy has not. Nobody can say Randy is better than Nogueira until he has actually beaten Nogueira.

Sir_Karl
3/2/08 10:01:32PM
I hope it does lure Couture back.
It should. Big Nog is in the top 3 along with Couture and Fedor in my book.
It would be a great fight for the UFC Heavyweight championship.
I don't know who would win that one. Would Nogueira make Randy tap?
Would Couture win a decision after ground and pounding Nog for 25 minutes?
Great fight...would love to see it happen.
Maybe Couture left to avoid Big Nog in the first place.
wolfgarnaud
3/2/08 10:04:19PM
if the fighters dont take care of them self, whos gonna do it? Dana White?

something else.... you're here writing in MMAplayground talking about a figthers legacy .. uhm... are you a figther? other than being a fan, can you relate to that somehow? if you tell me that you have passed for worst things and you were "respectful" and "honorable" ... im gonna be laughing from now on.
MALICE
3/2/08 10:21:59PM
Coutures obligations

Interesting article. It looks like it would be in the best interest for Randy to take the fight. Either that or Cuban better open up the pocket book and write a big fat check.
NatedawgThaM
3/2/08 10:34:06PM

Posted by wapttn

agreed. Couture claims to have 2-3 fights left in his career but apparently wants to save them all for fedor? Thats disrespectful towards nog because he wanted to fight fedor to establish who was no1 in the world.. problem is that he hadnt beatent he currently ranked no2 (nog). Couture faired far better against sylvia than nog did for the first two rounds.. but the difference is that sylvia had back problems and Nog actually finished sylvia. Couture's employment contract ends in around 6 months or so right? which is plenty of time to schedule a fight with Nog. If couture dodges this fight so he can maintain the marketability of the couture/fedor fight then he's lost all of my respect.

One of the things that makes this sport so attractive, to me at least, is the concept of a soul fighter... the fighters who will fight any one, or want to fight the best.. not just to please the crowd, and especially not for a pay day, but because they love to fight. If couture doesnt take this fight, it says to me that he's lost that passion and respect for the fight game and cares only to establish himself as the no1 heavyweight of all time through the easiest means possible. Seriously... 2-3 fights left? if ur the best heavy weight of all time, beat nog, beat fedor, rematch fedor, beat him again and solidify your legacy. Stop pulling a karo and ducking the no1 contender because you think ur gonna get a "title shot" if you just wait.

I don't think he has a chance against Nog anyway, so he might actually be ducking him. The only way he could beat Nog is by LNP against the cage. Nog has better boxing and definitely has submitted fighters with better submission defense.
tdietel01
3/2/08 10:39:57PM
I think couture is a boring fighter, but i guess to win you dont have to be exciting! IMO couture needs to beat liddell. then nog. then fedor. then we can all give him his best fighter in the world cookie! on a side note i would also like to see randy fight anderson silva.
Kracker_Jap
3/2/08 11:06:28PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

I don't think Randy's resignation/retirement was an honorable or respectful thing to do. I know a lot of other fans feel the same way. I think if Randy took this fight he could save face.

My thoughts too...
ufcboss
3/2/08 11:55:58PM
As much as I would love to see this, I dont want to (Under these circumstances)

If Randy fought Nog, His heart would not be the fight, Whats he fighting for, To stay locked in his contract. He would go out and put himself into in Sub, Then leave UFC and try and fight Fedor. But then that would tarnish his name and the Fedor fight wouldnt be such a big deal.

He should just wait for Fedor IMO.

Randy and the UFC need some "Time apart"!!
GrandMaster313
3/3/08 12:41:31AM
i think if Randy took this fight he would loose because he doesn't really wanna deal with Dana anymore. not saying he would throw the fight, but it does make me wonder if Randy would be a shakey pick ?
nastshabast
3/3/08 12:43:05AM

Posted by ufcboss

If Randy fought Nog, His heart would not be the fight, Whats he fighting for, To stay locked in his contract. He would go out and put himself into in Sub, Then leave UFC and try and fight Fedor. But then that would tarnish his name and the Fedor fight wouldnt be such a big deal.

NWninja
3/3/08 12:57:31PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by wolfgarnaud

How does it represent the sport of mma? It represents 1 fight in the sport of mma.

Yup, he should be able to fight wherever he wants. And who is stopping him? Oh yeah......that tiny little piece of paper he signed, which he is now choosing to not Honor..

I don't see how Randy is on a pedestal above Nogueira. Fedor beat Nogueira, so he doesn't need to fight him. But, Randy has not. Nobody can say Randy is better than Nogueira until he has actually beaten Nogueira.

i can and i will . nogueira is so over rated, was i the only one who saw how bad sylvia was kicking his ass. couture would DOMINATE nogeira any day of the week
Leland
3/3/08 2:55:48PM

Posted by NWninja

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by wolfgarnaud

i can and i will . nogueira is so over rated, was i the only one who saw how bad sylvia was kicking his ass. couture would DOMINATE nogeira any day of the week

Agreed. he was getting dominated! Lucky sub if you ask me. He won't hold on to that belt very long I don't think.
NatedawgThaM
3/3/08 4:31:53PM

Posted by Leland

Posted by NWninja

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by wolfgarnaud

Agreed. he was getting dominated! Lucky sub if you ask me. He won't hold on to that belt very long I don't think.

WHAT? You guys have never even seen Big Nog fight more then once or twice, don't even try to convince me you have. Because if you have you would see he ALWAYS gets his ass beat in every single fight he has and then pulls off the submission at the end. It's wear and tear tactics. He lets them gas out while beating his ass and then subs them.

He killed all the talk of his submissions being "lucky" a long time ago.
Pookie
3/3/08 5:10:03PM

Posted by Leland

Posted by NWninja

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by wolfgarnaud

I do hope that this is sarcasm, if not then wow
mrsmiley
3/3/08 7:43:54PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Leland

Posted by NWninja

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by wolfgarnaud

WHAT? You guys have never even seen Big Nog fight more then once or twice, don't even try to convince me you have. Because if you have you would see he ALWAYS gets his ass beat in every single fight he has and then pulls off the submission at the end. It's wear and tear tactics. He lets them gas out while beating his ass and then subs them.

I hope those guys were being sacrastic.If not they really need to go back and do their home work.That's what Nog is famous for guys.Just in case you were being serious here are some other names you need to know if you're going to be an MMA fan:

Helio Gracie
Bas Rutten
Kazushi Sakuraba
Mark Coleman
Igor Vovchanzin

I'm sure everyone else will name more.

jiujitsufreak74
3/3/08 7:48:51PM
all i am going to say is Randy Couture = most overrated fighter in MMA today not big nog. the way some of these posters are underrating big nog is sickening and i do not want to even lower myself to argue with such illogical thought processing.
TimW001
3/3/08 7:58:22PM
How exactly does a lucky sub happen? "Whoop, didn't mean to shoot my hips like that! Good thing that worked! I seriously do not know my JJ"

I can understand you seeing it as a sub out of no where though. But a submission is never from luck. It is always one person makes a mistake and the other knows what to do.
NatedawgThaM
3/3/08 7:58:51PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Leland

Posted by NWninja

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by wolfgarnaud

I hope those guys were being sacrastic.If not they really need to go back and do their home work.That's what Nog is famous for guys.Just in case you were being serious here are some other names you need to know if you're going to be an MMA fan:

Helio Gracie
Bas Rutten
Kazushi Sakuraba
Mark Coleman
Igor Vovchanzin

I'm sure everyone else will name more.

\
Don't forget Bob Sap freakin WWF Piledrived Big Nog and he came back and stopped him.
cmill21
3/3/08 8:53:01PM
I'm just curious if anyone knows how Nog gets guys into subs? He doesn't just pull them out of his ass, he basically gets you thinking that your escaping a sub and then puts you into another one. He's so damn good at getting you to think your getting out of something, when really your getting into something.
wolfgarnaud
3/3/08 9:07:55PM
i think Nogueria is a wolderful fighter, he has fought better figthers than Couture has fought.

but i dont see the point of Dana White... saying those things in a press conference... Couture is not gonna do it... the things are pretty bad betwen the UFC and Couture, like ufcboss wrote before :

Thats exactly whats gonna happen... an even that... if people already have some really dumb comments for Couture about honor, legacy, respect, and they dont even know the guy. i think it would be worst for him if he decides to kiss the UFC's ass again. thats is giving up,, and also people dont see beyond of what the fight with Fedor represents. you dont know what could happen after that. i only see great things for him.

also signing a piece of paper and thats it? you're not the one putting your body on the line. your only job as a fan is pay for the PPV and watch it.. thats it... stop talking about Honor... its really easy to critizies.

and for the guy who wrote about Couture saying he had 2 or 3 fights left... he said that when he came out of retirement to fight Tim Sylvia.
you seem to remember things that happen in the past... why dont we talk about that... all the things Dana White have said every time he's been running his mouth and how many of those are truth...

i dont know ,, how many of you recalled , when the rumor that the UFC was going to buy Pride.. chuck liddell and his pimp (dana white) , came on tv , talking about when the deal gets done liddells was gonna fight Cro Cop, and he was ready for fedor... and that never happen... another oppotunity for Dana to put more exposure on Liddell, and those things happen?

what about when they bought pride and now apparently all the dream fights were gonna happen... uhmmmm how many of those have you seen?, since then , maybe 3 fights at least? ... Patetic.

what about dana saying he was gonna sign the best in the world... is that happening?... not even close.

TV deals? spike tv? have you see the ratings on that? 2.5 millions? ... what happen with HBO... ?

but Dana keeps promesing...

... like i say its really easy to critizies... the job is a lot harder than that... specially being Dana.
mrsmiley
3/4/08 2:11:17PM

Posted by cmill21

I'm just curious if anyone knows how Nog gets guys into subs? He doesn't just pull them out of his ass, he basically gets you thinking that your escaping a sub and then puts you into another one. He's so damn good at getting you to think your getting out of something, when really your getting into something.

Exactly.

If you watch Nog,none of his subs are very complicated.However,it's his ability to quickly transistion from one sub to the next that makes him so good.You get out of one submission attempt to find yourself put into a worse situation.
I love his mofified version of a triangle.It's so much simpler to apply,but it's so slick and unexpecting that it's more dangerous than what you would normaly learn.
MALICE
3/4/08 8:03:27PM

Posted by wolfgarnaud

and also people dont see beyond of what the fight with Fedor represents. you dont know what could happen after that. i only see great things for him.

also signing a piece of paper and thats it? you're not the one putting your body on the line. your only job as a fan is pay for the PPV and watch it.. thats it... stop talking about Honor... its really easy to critizies.

What do you see this fight representing? If Randy wins, people will say he is legendary, if he loses, they will say Oh Fedors the best. No matter what happens, they are still both going to be called the best ever.

I'm not quite sure I understand here. Are you trying to say that a fan should buy the ppv, watch the fight , and then have no opinion after that point? Where in the f**k do you think the money to pay their bills comes from? The fans that buy their fights, buy their clothes, etc. etc. etc. That is how they get payed. You must please the fans if you want to get paid.

So it is every fans right to have an opinion about what Randy does. Either they want him to win a lawsuit and fight Fedor, and who knows if this will ever happen. Or they want him to finish his contract and fight Nog.

Either way, Randy can be the only one to blame in this. You can't blame the UFC for fighting Randy on this. Randy signed the contract. Randy may never be able to fight Fedor if he does not win his contract situation. Randy should try to make a deal with the UFC, their is little risk involved. Agree to come back and fight Nog, as long as the UFC agrees to suck it up and bring Fedor in for one fight. Then they will never have to cross promote again if they dont want to. It is worth a shot.

No matter what happens. I'll be there to see it.

TNunley
3/5/08 2:56:31PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

all i am going to say is Randy Couture = most overrated fighter in MMA today not big nog. the way some of these posters are underrating big nog is sickening and i do not want to even lower myself to argue with such illogical thought processing.

First of all, please stop trying to make yourself sound more intelligent than you may or may not be. Seriously, every post I read of yours I have a hard time respecting them because it seems that you really try to make us think you are really smart by using synonymous words that are less commonly used. I would respect your opinion SO MUCH more if you stopped doing that. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense... no disrespect though, I'm saying it as advice, not because I'm trying to be mean.

As for your post, I think it's a pretty contradictory thing to say, man. To say that Randy is the most overrated fighter and then continue on to say how sickening it is (to you) for people not to rate Big Nog the same way you do does not make sense to me. To each their own opinion, and it is clear that your opinion is that Big Nog is a better fighter than Randy. Personally I feel Randy is the better fighter, but unless they ended up fighting it is all just a matter of opinion. We could go on for days talking about who has beaten who and which one has beaten an opponent the other lost to, but none of it matters anyway. Maybe one fighter had the flu that day, maybe their nerves got to them, maybe they just got caught... there are too many factors involved to be able to use MMAth and have it actually come out right 100% (or even 50%) of the time.

I've been just as guilty as everyone else has been about getting all worked up over someone else's comments and going on a rant about why they are ridiculous and why I am right, but in the end I figured out it was much easier to just avoid these kind of arguments. If you get tired of hearing about these things... don't say anything, because you are just contributing to the argument and doing the exact same thing you are complaining about.

Either way, do what you wanna do... but for you to say it is "sickening" to hear people who think Big Nog is overrated it doesn't make sense when you make a comment about thinking Randy is overrated.
jiujitsufreak74
3/5/08 4:14:44PM

Posted by TNunley

First of all, please stop trying to make yourself sound more intelligent than you may or may not be. Seriously, every post I read of yours I have a hard time respecting them because it seems that you really try to make us think you are really smart by using synonymous words that are less commonly used. I would respect your opinion SO MUCH more if you stopped doing that. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense... no disrespect though, I'm saying it as advice, not because I'm trying to be mean.

As for your post, I think it's a pretty contradictory thing to say, man. To say that Randy is the most overrated fighter and then continue on to say how sickening it is (to you) for people not to rate Big Nog the same way you do does not make sense to me. To each their own opinion, and it is clear that your opinion is that Big Nog is a better fighter than Randy. Personally I feel Randy is the better fighter, but unless they ended up fighting it is all just a matter of opinion. We could go on for days talking about who has beaten who and which one has beaten an opponent the other lost to, but none of it matters anyway. Maybe one fighter had the flu that day, maybe their nerves got to them, maybe they just got caught... there are too many factors involved to be able to use MMAth and have it actually come out right 100% (or even 50%) of the time.

I've been just as guilty as everyone else has been about getting all worked up over someone else's comments and going on a rant about why they are ridiculous and why I am right, but in the end I figured out it was much easier to just avoid these kind of arguments. If you get tired of hearing about these things... don't say anything, because you are just contributing to the argument and doing the exact same thing you are complaining about.

Either way, do what you wanna do... but for you to say it is "sickening" to hear people who think Big Nog is overrated it doesn't make sense when you make a comment about thinking Randy is overrated.

no offense taken...and btw i just have a big vocabulary and i happen to speak that way in real life. its just the way i talk. and i like to think that i use all of my diction correctly. anyway, i do not think it is contradictory to say randy is overrated and that i think nog should be viewed at the same standard. i think nog should be viewed as a fighter with a bigger legacy and that couture's legacy should be deflated. i honestly believe that couture is over hyped way too much and that the way people view his legacy is the way in which they should be viewing big nog's big nog has defeated higher level fighters, has done so consistently and has never been stopped. randy is a great fighter, but he just hasn't defeated the same caliber of opponents that big nog has nor has he done so consistently. the guy doesn't even have more then one consecutive title defense for christ's sake. i am not really arguing who is better at the moment but rather focusing on who has the better legacy and imo it is big nog hands down. i just can't fathom how people seriously think that defeating GG and tim sylvia makes you one of the greatest fighters of all time. or going 4-3 in your last 7 fights or having 4 TKO and 4 submission losses makes you have such a great legacy. the only unavenged loss big nog has is against Fedor...arguably the best fighter to ever grace MMA. couture has not avenged his loss Liddell (lost 2 out of 3), Barnett, Ricco, Overeem, Inoue or Illoukhine. i just can't see how being inconsistent means that you have a better legacy then a fighter who has consistently defeated all of the top competition besides Fedor.

If you look solely on notable wins...couture has: Rizzo, Belfort, Randleman, Tito Chuck and maybe Tim Sylvia if you want to throw him in there

Big Nog has: Henderson, Herring, Ricco, (Sapp and Schilt due to size), CC, Barnett, Werdum and Tim Sylvia if you want to include him.

also, Nog has defeated Inoue, Ricco, Barnett and Overeem who have all defeated Couture. i think that people stain their memories with the feel good story of Randy and forget just how minimal his accomplishments are in contrast to other great fighters. i was just getting sick of the gross overestimation of randy due to his age and how people forgot about is 8 losses and inconsistent title reigns.i am sorry if i agitated you but it was just getting to me. and i again the vocabulary just stems form the way i talk.
Boo_Radley21
3/5/08 5:42:18PM

no offense taken...and btw i just have a big vocabulary and i happen to speak that way in real life. its just the way i talk. and i like to think that i use all of my diction correctly. anyway, i do not think it is contradictory to say randy is overrated and that i think nog should be viewed at the same standard. i think nog should be viewed as a fighter with a bigger legacy and that couture's legacy should be deflated. i honestly believe that couture is over hyped way too much and that the way people view his legacy is the way in which they should be viewing big nog's big nog has defeated higher level fighters, has done so consistently and has never been stopped. randy is a great fighter, but he just hasn't defeated the same caliber of opponents that big nog has nor has he done so consistently. the guy doesn't even have more then one consecutive title defense for christ's sake. i am not really arguing who is better at the moment but rather focusing on who has the better legacy and imo it is big nog hands down. i just can't fathom how people seriously think that defeating GG and tim sylvia makes you one of the greatest fighters of all time. or going 4-3 in your last 7 fights or having 4 TKO and 4 submission losses makes you have such a great legacy. the only unavenged loss big nog has is against Fedor...arguably the best fighter to ever grace MMA. couture has not avenged his loss Liddell (lost 2 out of 3), Barnett, Ricco, Overeem, Inoue or Illoukhine. i just can't see how being inconsistent means that you have a better legacy then a fighter who has consistently defeated all of the top competition besides Fedor.

If you look solely on notable wins...couture has: Rizzo, Belfort, Randleman, Tito Chuck and maybe Tim Sylvia if you want to throw him in there

Big Nog has: Henderson, Herring, Ricco, (Sapp and Schilt due to size), CC, Barnett, Werdum and Tim Sylvia if you want to include him.

also, Nog has defeated Inoue, Ricco, Barnett and Overeem who have all defeated Couture. i think that people stain their memories with the feel good story of Randy and forget just how minimal his accomplishments are in contrast to other great fighters. i was just getting sick of the gross overestimation of randy due to his age and how people forgot about is 8 losses and inconsistent title reigns.i am sorry if i agitated you but it was just getting to me. and i again the vocabulary just stems form the way i talk.

Randy isn't as respected as he is because of who he has beat or how he's beat all these guys better than nogueira. It's because of all his underdog wins and how he came back after a year retirement at 44 and kicked ass against Sylvia and Gonzaga (Both much bigger fighters). It's how he can defy the ods that makes him so popular.

And your argument will change once Randy beats Fedor up.
Pages: [1] 2