Despite a recent report that stated the UFC’s potential deal with HBO was all but dead, UFC president Dana White says otherwise.
In fact, White says deal was close to fruition and that former HBO president Chris Albrecht wasn’t the only executive who was interested in the partnership.
White made the comments during a UFC 73 conference call with the media today.
Rumors of the UFC-HBO deal first surfaced late last year, and throughout the 2007 calendar year, White spoke often about the progress and benefits of a potential partnership with HBO. The discussions advanced far enough for White to announce in April that a deal was done. In fact, the two sides were so confident an agreement would be reached that April 21's UFC 70 event was expected to air on HBO. It was later moved to Spike TV after the deal stalled over concerns with the shows’ production.
It’s been reported that Albrecht was the main supporter of the deal, but after May mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Oscar De La Hoya, he was arrested for allegedly assaulting his female companion near a valet-parking station. The recovering alcoholic later said alcohol played a part in the episode. He subsequently left the company, and Variety.com recently reported that deal was probably dead because of it.
However, White says he has other supporters with the company and is confident a deal still will be inked.
This entry is filed under Dana White, UFC on HBO.