Dana White plans to attend Strikeforce show, disappointed with turn of events

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White plans to attend Strikeforce show, disappointed with turn of events
prophecy033
11/24/12 4:39:23PM
Dana White never has been one to mince words. 

In recent months, when it comes to Strikefoce, the Zuffa president has forced himself to be mum on the topic of the UFC's sibling promotion. "I don't have anything to do with them" was a common response when reporters wanted to get his take on Strikeforce. 

White recently, though, admitted he's disappointed with how things have turned out for the promotion.

Link
BuffaloDave
11/24/12 5:05:58PM
I think most of us are disappointed with they way SF played out since Zuffa took over.

It's a shame between Showtime, Strikeforce, and Zuffa that they couldn't all get on the same page.

Allowing both SF and UFC fighters to fight in both promtions, would have helped from the get go, as SF has always had pretty thin divisions, except for the HW's.
Twenty20Dollars
11/24/12 5:23:49PM
Some of these SF guys deserve a spot in the UFC(but were prevented), so I'm fine with how it turned out.
warglory
11/24/12 6:13:07PM
I don't think it would have ever worked out. I like having competition amongst orgs, but not under the same banner, that just seems counter-intuitive.
Bustamante-Aoki
11/24/12 9:18:11PM
Disappointed? What did he think would happen?

He's implying he thought Zuffa could just take most of the best talent in Strikeforce and everybody would just tune in the same and Showtime wouldn't care?

Shenanigans. Zuffa have bought enough mma organizations to know what happens to them by now.

mrsmiley
11/24/12 10:48:12PM

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

Disappointed? What did he think would happen?

He's implying he thought Zuffa could just take most of the best talent in Strikeforce and everybody would just tune in the same and Showtime wouldn't care?

Shenanigans. Zuffa have bought enough mma organizations to know what happens to them by now.

This is what i'm thinking. You can't take the momentum from a promotion and expect them to stay where they where at. SF was pretty much DOA once they entered the house of Zuffa. With that said I wouldn't say they where a powerhouse prior to the buy out but at least their was star power.
I find it puzzling White would be disappointed with how things turned out because it seems to the naked eye he got exactly what he wanted.
Twenty20Dollars
11/25/12 12:20:28AM

Posted by warglory

I don't think it would have ever worked out. I like having competition amongst orgs, but not under the same banner, that just seems counter-intuitive.

I liked it when it was UFC/WEC, but little different as WEC had the lighter weight classes.

SF was a mess, never really tried to add new guys or experience guys, just went with what they had. Then UFC picking out their guys from there, Diaz,Shields,HW's.
jay98107
11/25/12 1:02:53AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Some of these SF guys deserve a spot in the UFC(but were prevented), so I'm fine with how it turned out.

Agreed. If I get to see Melendez in the UFC, if only to find out who's truly the best at LW, it's all worth it.
tcunningham
11/25/12 12:02:53PM
i think zuffa should had put more effort into revamping SF. i think it could have been used as an Up-an-comer organization for the ufc, but it seemed that everybody was imprisoned under the SF banner even though the best fights for them were not there. im ready for SF to fold and allow these fighters to join the ufc or find fights other places.
bjj1605
11/26/12 11:58:18AM
Strikeforce was doing well before for one reason: Fedor.

The organization quickly started going down hill when he lost those first few fights. He was their one star, their one big draw, and their one claim to fame OVER the UFC.

I went to two Strikeforce shows. I wouldn't have gone to either if Fedor hadn't been fighting.