Dana White: BJ Penn vs Anderson Silva ‘aint gonna happen’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: BJ Penn vs Anderson Silva ‘aint gonna happen’
MMAcca
10/18/08 2:26:30AM
Quoteworthy:

“If GSP beats BJ then you’ll see Silva v GSP — possibly at a catch weight. But if Penn beats GSP there’s no way I’d let him move up to 185lbs, no way. He’ll f***ing fight, argue and cry about it but there’s no way – it ain’t gonna happen, I can tell you that right now – it ain’t gonna happen.”

UFC President Dana White is all about a superfight between welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and middleweight champion Anderson Silva sometime in 2009. Of course, St. Pierre — who next fights lightweight champion BJ Penn at UFC 94 on January 31 — and Silva — who fights Patrick Cote next week — both more than likely need to win their next bouts for that to happen. Great idea and a colossal moneymaker. But here’s where it gets a little weird — White says he will not let Penn — a former welterweight champion who has competed against light heavyweights in the past — fight “The Spider” if he bests “Rush.” Penn has said numerous times that he would like to hold every belt in the UFC, but according to an emphatic White, it’s not going to happen. White is right in that Penn will more than likely raise a stink if he is not allowed to fight Silva … as he should be. It doesn’t make much sense, especially since Penn would have to vacate at least one title for it to happen. Hopefully, White will elaborate on the thought process in the near future.

LINK
WheelchairBandit
10/18/08 3:05:39AM
Dana has got to put his foot down with BJ at least some of the time.Letting him go up to 170 to fight GSP again only happened because Dana know's he has to appease one of his most popular (and most tempermental) fighters.But letting BJ go around and try for whatever belt he wants to go after this week isn't good for the company.The fight with GSP works because BJ is a former welterweight champion,and it's a rematch of a very close fight.

FWIW,I think it's sad if BJ beats GSP and then can't fight Anderson Silva,for no other reason than I think BJ poses more of a threat to Anderson than GSP does.GSP was hurt badly and stopped by Matt Serra,and he was brutalized by BJ on the feet in their first fight.I think Anderson would be able to land a bomb and put away GSP.BJ,on the other hand,has a granite chin,good enough striking to hang with Anderson on the feet (despite the considerable reach advantage Anderson would have),and good enough wrestling and jiu-jitsu to put Anderson on his back and consistently go for subs.Hendo put Silva on his back and passed his guard with relative ease in the first round of their fight.If BJ gets Silva down and passes his guard,it would get ugly for Silva real fast.

WB.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/18/08 3:59:18AM

Posted by WheelchairBandit

Dana has got to put his foot down with BJ at least some of the time.Letting him go up to 170 to fight GSP again only happened because Dana know's he has to appease one of his most popular (and most tempermental) fighters.But letting BJ go around and try for whatever belt he wants to go after this week isn't good for the company.The fight with GSP works because BJ is a former welterweight champion,and it's a rematch of a very close fight.

FWIW,I think it's sad if BJ beats GSP and then can't fight Anderson Silva,for no other reason than I think BJ poses more of a threat to Anderson than GSP does.GSP was hurt badly and stopped by Matt Serra,and he was brutalized by BJ on the feet in their first fight.I think Anderson would be able to land a bomb and put away GSP.BJ,on the other hand,has a granite chin,good enough striking to hang with Anderson on the feet (despite the considerable reach advantage Anderson would have),and good enough wrestling and jiu-jitsu to put Anderson on his back and consistently go for subs.Hendo put Silva on his back and passed his guard with relative ease in the first round of their fight.If BJ gets Silva down and passes his guard,it would get ugly for Silva real fast.

WB.

love the av & love ur points of view, but i think the main point, although dana hasnt said it, is bc bj only want to fight twice a year & if he beat gsp & fought anderson, he will have gone a year w/out defending his lw title

dana is smart & ims ure he knows that bj vs anderson would sell like crazy, but i think its a smart move. we dont need bj to turn into gomi or wandy in Pride & never defend his belt

u def get my props though
Gipper
10/18/08 10:50:51AM
thats to bad because penn might be the only guy who can beat anderson.
Branwest
10/18/08 11:09:46AM
I disagree with the assumption that BJ would have a better shot at Anderson than GSP. I think GSP's wrestling is a whole lot better than BJ's (obviously) and at least has a shot of putting Anderson on his back. Standing up, BJ's reach would be a problem, and he would be seriously outstruck by Silva, I don't care how much of a 'granite' chin he has, he will eventually fall. BJ, more than most, would have a shot at subbing Silva, but very highly doubtful. At least GSP might try some GnP, that is if he can take Anderson down. I think Anderson would beat them both, but GSP would have a better shot. But just so you know, these three are all in my top-4 P4P fighters along w/Fedor (and then, Urijah and Torres).
imanidiot777
10/18/08 11:28:21AM

Posted by Gipper

Fedor would beat Anderson.
monkeybrawler
10/18/08 12:07:49PM
Isn't that what we all wanted in MMA when UFC bought out Pride to see which fighter is the best in the world no matter what weight class. That way you no longer have to set around and bitch about this guy could beat this guy if BJ wins and I think he will he has more than earned the right to keep moving up and fight.
Twenty20Dollars
10/18/08 1:21:22PM
A-Silva would pick apart BJ, GSP would do better because of the better wrestling,striking,height and weight.
wapttn
10/18/08 2:45:23PM
In my mind the best p4p fighters are

1. fedor (previous arguments aside, how do you deny it after sylvia?)
2. gsp
3. penn
4. silva

my actual rankings would be differerent

I firmly believe that most fans think that silva is p4p best in the world because dana white says so. From a promoters standpoint, theres no way that the biggest and most talent orginational (by far) in the world doesnt have the no1 p4p fighter under contract... therefore it must be the most devastating and dominant fighter in the ufc, i guess that would be anderson silva right now so i'm gonna tell everyone that anderson silva is p4p the best fighter in the world.

I've never felt that the middle weight division was deep and that henderson has been the only real test for silva.
Marquardt is a good fighter, but not elite.
Franklin will never beat silva... just one of those matchups.
The old leben was beat by kalib starnes.
Lutter almost finished him, and lutter cant even make weight let alone last for more than a round.
Henderson made silva look useless in the first round and lost because henderson is an idiot for thinking he could outstrike/ko silva

So this is your p4p best fighter in the world? If you're gonna put someone on ur p4p list because they keep knocking out lower tier fighters then i guess kimbo used to be on your list too right?

Had gsp not lost to serra in their first fight.. i guarantee you dana white would promote gsp as p4p best fighter in the world. Why? when was the last time gsp didnt dominate a round? With the exception of the bj penn fight, its been 4 years since he didnt absolute own the other man in the cage. What makes things scarier is that his loss to serra was the best thing to ever happen to gsp. He's so much better than he was before and his preparation for a fight will never again come into question.

Gsp is more dominant in his fights, than silva is in his fights.

Gsp has all the tools he needs to beat silva. BEST functional wrestling in mma. Perhaps the best athlete in mma. Great movement (when was the last time you saw someone hit gsp flush on the feet?) Elite striking. Incredibly intelligent in the ring. A greg jackson gameplan.

BJ vs GSP is going to be amazing because:
gsp's striking vs bj's chin
bj's boxing vs gsp's movement
gsp's takedowns vs bj's takedown defence
gsp's ground and pound vs bj's jits

I give gsp the advantage because they're fighting at gsp's natural weight which in a fight this close gives gsp a significant advantage over bj having to come up

BJ cannot beat silva because silva's striking is the best in mma. Silva will be able to keep bj on the outside with his jab and reach.. and if bj gets inside, hes at too much of a size disadvantage and doesnt have the wrestling skills to take silva down. I would think this would be obvious, and the biggest reason why bj wont be allowed to fight silva.

EDIT: you could make a better argument for faber being no1 p4p than silva
Bloodhound
10/19/08 3:38:37AM
^^agree with u on most of that excluding your top 4 p4p, and a match-up you mentioned which i look foward to seeing is GSP's Wrestling Vs. BJ's Wrestling Defense
MaxOne
10/19/08 6:17:10AM
bj gives anderson a much better fight than gsp would imo.
gsquat
10/19/08 10:51:56AM

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by Gipper

Fedor would beat Anderson.

Fedor would definitely beat Anderson. But I wouldn't count BJ out of beating him either.
JimiMak
10/19/08 11:48:45AM

Posted by monkeybrawler

Isn't that what we all wanted in MMA when UFC bought out Pride to see which fighter is the best in the world no matter what weight class. That way you no longer have to set around and bitch about this guy could beat this guy if BJ wins and I think he will he has more than earned the right to keep moving up and fight.

Ummm, no.

People wanted to see the best fights regardless of promoters. I've never heard of a mass opinion that weight classes should be abolished. I find many more people like me that don't like all the bouncing around between them. And when you win in a division it isn't about "earning" the right to keep moving up in weight. I seriously don't get where you're coming from, jmo.
jae_1833
10/19/08 3:08:46PM
First my opinion of BJ moving up to MW is that it is a bogus idea for the LWs who put on some of the best fights in the UFC to date. They all get robbed!! BJ, just like GSP and Silva, owe it to the UFC to defend their respective titles at least 2 times a year or so. Secondly, BJ's a small guy, who has had difficulty with staying in shape at WW, could you imagine how fat and lazy he will be in order to get to MW, because I am sure that Siva can't afford to scratch off another pound. BJ would get out worked and dropped in the second with only the most limited success in the 1st. GSP has shown great talent, wrestling, ect lately. However I think the size, ground skills, REACH, and striking abilities of Silva make GSP avoid a decisive engagement for a round or so and get TKO'd late in the second or early in the third. I honestly think that to stop Silva (other than by some freak accident) it will take an outstanding LHW, or a good HW. I think that if he really wanted it he could take the LHW belt and hold it for sure. Once you get him fighting guys like Kongo, AA, Gonzaga ect your just asking for the little guy to get hurt by someone who has 40+lbs on him and the skill to back it up.
soundboy1
11/20/08 1:34:51PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by monkeybrawler

Ummm, no.

People wanted to see the best fights regardless of promoters. I've never heard of a mass opinion that weight classes should be abolished. I find many more people like me that don't like all the bouncing around between them. And when you win in a division it isn't about "earning" the right to keep moving up in weight. I seriously don't get where you're coming from, jmo.

I don't think that he is sayin we should abolish weight classes. But I do agree taht we need to see more open fighting. I mean who wouldn't want to see silva bj that fight would be great! What I personally would like to see is a pride style grand prix. The top 8 185 and under fight in a tourney and then top 8 over 185......I don't honestly think that would ever happen in the US which is why I'm praying that DREAM gets its act together.....