Dana White opens the door for “The Pitbull” to return

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White opens the door for “The Pitbull” to return
Wolfenstein
12/29/08 1:10:19PM
Speaking to CBS Sports, White explained:

“In nine years, there’s only one fighter that I’ve lost that I didn’t want to lose. That was (Andrei) Arlovski, and it still bothers me.”

“I jumped on a plane and flew to Chicago with Lorenzo (Fertitta) and kissed his butt to try to make him not leave.”

“He wanted to box on HBO. He had a lot of different things that he wanted to do that I couldn’t let him do.”

link
EvenFlow
12/29/08 1:13:12PM
I dont buy this at all, why would he put Andrei on the undercard? Does Affliction pay him more than the UFC did?
cmill21
12/29/08 1:14:35PM

Posted by EvenFlow

I dont buy this at all, why would he put Andrei on the undercard? Does Affliction pay him more than the UFC did?

Yep. I also think the UFC is going to have to start letting guys do other things or they won't be able to keep the top guys.
wiggum
12/29/08 1:50:58PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Speaking to CBS Sports, White explained:

“In nine years, there’s only one fighter that I’ve lost that I didn’t want to lose. That was (Andrei) Arlovski, and it still bothers me.”

“I jumped on a plane and flew to Chicago with Lorenzo (Fertitta) and kissed his butt to try to make him not leave.”

“He wanted to box on HBO. He had a lot of different things that he wanted to do that I couldn’t let him do.”

link

i wish he would come back! i love watching the pitbull....yet at the same time im glad he left, that way we are able to see the upcoming dream match with fedor....after that i hope he does comeback......i think arlovski is pretty intent on getting in some profesional boxing, hbo might be pushing it, unless he decides to fight on the undercard against a no name....but i read somewhere were roach said he could compete with some good fighters out there...who knows tho.....but when you can command a crowd like he does and have multiple intentions that he does, ufc will have a hard time competing with the price tag
telnights
12/29/08 2:12:16PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Why would he lie about a guy about to fight in another org by saying he wish he wouldn't have lost him as a fighter and kissed his butt trying to get him to stay. If he was going to lie he would trash talk Andrei and say he could care less if he stayed or left because he isn't good enough to make it in the UFC. Dana is basically saying he wish he could have keep Andrei around. BTW the UFC has enough problems with fighters getting hurt just training for fights imagine if they let them fight in other orgs or play other combat sports. Not only does your risk of injury go way up but also the chance your fighter could loss there fight and by doing so they loss creditability the UFC and the fighter have built up.
Mayo
12/29/08 5:08:17PM
Ok now I'm confused about the contracts. I thought that if they win (which Arlovski did win his last fight) then UFC can automatically renew the contract whether the fighter likes it or not. I thought that the contracts were designed to basically "own" the fighters for the rest of their lives unless UFC makes the decision to drop them?
gsquat
12/29/08 5:13:55PM
This was a huge loss. I agree with above post that if he's so sad about losing a superstar like Arlovski, why'd he put him on the undercard? Until he loses, he should never be any worse that the third headlining fight.
higdon10
12/29/08 5:29:21PM

Posted by gsquat

This was a huge loss. I agree with above post that if he's so sad about losing a superstar like Arlovski, why'd he put him on the undercard? Until he loses, he should never be any worse that the third headlining fight.

He was fighting Jake O'Brien and the fights above it were much sexier match ups. There are alot of top tier guys that end up on the under card.
Manak
12/29/08 5:50:21PM

Posted by Mayo

Ok now I'm confused about the contracts. I thought that if they win (which Arlovski did win his last fight) then UFC can automatically renew the contract whether the fighter likes it or not. I thought that the contracts were designed to basically "own" the fighters for the rest of their lives unless UFC makes the decision to drop them?

The time ran out on the contract since they benched him for so damm long and the winning clause, i think, is mainly for the belt holders. But this was a huge loss but a guy AA was gettin into so much that the UFC contract wouldnt work. and i think AA is gonna go into boxing. would love to see AA vs Klitschko which Roach says AA has the potential to reach.
gsquat
12/29/08 5:56:49PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by gsquat

He was fighting Jake O'Brien and the fights above it were much sexier match ups. There are alot of top tier guys that end up on the under card.

But that of cousre is opinionated. I would've much rather seen Arlovski vs anyone than Kongo/Herring.
warglory
12/29/08 6:08:12PM
Andrei has been given a breath of fresh air since leaving the UFC, he is probably getting paid more and getting very high profile fights (pretty much the highest you can get at this point). It would be a waste of talent for him to go back to the UFC to fight only up and comers, especially when Affliction and other orgs are willing to throw him up against the likes of Barnett and Fedor. Easy decision for Andrei in my opinion.
GrandMaster313
12/29/08 9:23:14PM
I think it makes sense for a guy like "the Pitbull" to go into Boxing. I never liked his game on the ground and I think he has 1 of the best striking I have seen in MMA other than Anderson Silva. What ever he wants to do I'm fine with it !
GrandMaster313
12/29/08 9:43:34PM
What about Arlovski Vs. Overeem or Velasquez ????
prozacnation1978
12/29/08 10:23:23PM
i think andre will come back before the end of next year he has alot of fights to do

mir, big nog, couture, kongo, gonzaga
he has fights to last next 3 years if he chooses
Pitbull09
12/30/08 12:34:38AM
I think out of Sylvia and Andre, Dana would want AA way more. I think he's a easier fighter to market and also there are a lot of HWs in the UFC divisions that he still hasnt fought. He worth bringing back if he sets boxing down and focuses on MMA
EvenFlow
12/30/08 7:05:56AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by EvenFlow

Why would he lie about a guy about to fight in another org by saying he wish he wouldn't have lost him as a fighter and kissed his butt trying to get him to stay. If he was going to lie he would trash talk Andrei and say he could care less if he stayed or left because he isn't good enough to make it in the UFC. Dana is basically saying he wish he could have keep Andrei around. BTW the UFC has enough problems with fighters getting hurt just training for fights imagine if they let them fight in other orgs or play other combat sports. Not only does your risk of injury go way up but also the chance your fighter could loss there fight and by doing so they loss creditability the UFC and the fighter have built up.

How should I know why someone would lie about anything, besides where's the proof that he kissed his butt, around the time he left it was word against word and Arlovski left saying he didnt get negotiations. He sure isn't with the UFC for now, if he really wanted him enough a deal would be made, maybe he just wants to explore other orgs. and this is a mutual leave like Cro Cop's and I get that but if you remember there was no black and white in this situation just a bunch of confusion.

As for the rest of your paragraph I never said anything about any of that.
telnights
12/30/08 5:08:57PM

Posted by EvenFlow
How should I know why someone would lie about anything, besides where's the proof that he kissed his butt, around the time he left it was word against word and Arlovski left saying he didnt get negotiations. He sure isn't with the UFC for now, if he really wanted him enough a deal would be made, maybe he just wants to explore other orgs. and this is a mutual leave like Cro Cop's and I get that but if you remember there was no black and white in this situation just a bunch of confusion.

As for the rest of your paragraph I never said anything about any of that.

Well if you don't know why some one would lie than why say they are? What kind of proof do you want? A picture of Dana on his hands and knees with Arlovski butt going to his face. There wasn't a bunch of confusion at all. All the confusion was made by the press. Just like people still think Arlovski was sidelined by the UFC because the press said this and still was saying it even after Arlovski and his management came out and said that wasn't the case at all the fighters he was set to fight just keep ending up getting hurt. Also just because he wishes he could have keep Arlovski to stay doesn't mean he had a way to keep him around. For one Arlovski has openly said he wanted to go in to Pro Boxing. The UFC cant allow this due to risk of Injury and loss of credibility. Also we don't know how much Arlovski was asking for to stay. Now you could say well Affliction paid him a lot but really how many shows have they put on so far and its is mostly agreed that they way over payed their fighters.

I find it funny people look at this from one point of view and don't really think about all the aspects of things. People jump to conclusions all the time and most of the time blame Dana and the UFC. Just like the hole Randy ordeal people still to this day blame the UFC when the facts showed Randy had lied and was just trying to get out of his contract so he could make more money. Now dont get me wrong Dana says things that aren't true but its always something to trash fighters outside the UFC or promote his own company. He has nothing to gain from what he said in this interview. In fact he seams to come off like he is admitting it was a mistake and maybe he could have tried harder to keep Arlovski around.

BTW Arlovski was on the undercard because he was fighting Jake O'Brien who's last fight was with Herring. Which was one of the most boring fights in UFC history.
EvenFlow
12/30/08 5:33:42PM

Posted by telnights
Well if you don't know why some one would lie than why say they are? What kind of proof do you want? A picture of Dana on his hands and knees with Arlovski butt going to his face.

Ok the sarcasm means my point was not taken, fair enough.

Posted by telnights
There wasn't a bunch of confusion at all. All the confusion was made by the press. Just like people still think Arlovski was sidelined by the UFC because the press said this and still was saying it even after Arlovski and his management came out and said that wasn't the case at all the fighters he was set to fight just keep ending up getting hurt.

Idk I was pretty confused and if I remember correctly everybody else was too so yeah confusion was in the air.

Posted by telnights
Also just because he wishes he could have keep Arlovski to stay doesn't mean he had a way to keep him around. For one Arlovski has openly said he wanted to go in to Pro Boxing. The UFC cant allow this due to risk of Injury and loss of credibility. Also we don't know how much Arlovski was asking for to stay. Now you could say well Affliction paid him a lot but really how many shows have they put on so far and its is mostly agreed that they way over payed their fighters.

I dont see why that should be a problem to box pro, he didnt fight for a long time before 82 and he could have had a fight or two and been fine to fight around 82. Dont bother getting into UFC regulation I'm fully aware thank you.

Posted by telnights
I find it funny people look at this from one point of view and don't really think about all the aspects of things. People jump to conclusions all the time and most of the time blame Dana and the UFC. Just like the hole Randy ordeal people still to this day blame the UFC when the facts showed Randy had lied and was just trying to get out of his contract so he could make more money. Now dont get me wrong Dana says things that aren't true but its always something to trash fighters outside the UFC or promote his own company. He has nothing to gain from what he said in this interview. In fact he seams to come off like he is admitting it was a mistake and maybe he could have tried harder to keep Arlovski around.

BTW Arlovski was on the undercard because he was fighting Jake O'Brien who's last fight was with Herring. Which was one of the most boring fights in UFC history.

I find it funny people not necessarily you believe everything he says and how would you know I didnt think about all aspects of things. I never jumped to conclusions other than I dont think he tried as hard as he says to keep him and he does implicate that a bit yes. And yes I blame Randy for his situation completely.

I also get the undercard thing but a better opponent would have been better marketing to keep him around instead of giving a former champ a LnP artist on the under card, do you see my point?
telnights
12/31/08 7:16:21PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Ok the sarcasm means my point was not taken, fair enough.

Idk I was pretty confused and if I remember correctly everybody else was too so yeah confusion was in the air.

I dont see why that should be a problem to box pro, he didnt fight for a long time before 82 and he could have had a fight or two and been fine to fight around 82. Dont bother getting into UFC regulation I'm fully aware thank you.

I find it funny people not necessarily you believe everything he says and how would you know I didnt think about all aspects of things. I never jumped to conclusions other than I dont think he tried as hard as he says to keep him and he does implicate that a bit yes. And yes I blame Randy for his situation completely.

I also get the undercard thing but a better opponent would have been better marketing to keep him around instead of giving a former champ a LnP artist on the under card, do you see my point?

You were only confused because you bought in to the stuff the media was saying not what the UFC, Arlovski, and his management were saying. Its a problem for him to box because of chance of injury and the fact if he gets beat he losses creditability as a fighter. His down time wasn't due to anything the UFC was doing or Arlovski. It was due to the fact the fighters he was set to face keep getting hurt training (yet another reason to not to be fighting outside the UFC). So if your fully aware then you would understand what the problem is letting him fight outside the UFC is. I didn't say I believe everything he says. I just said his statement was most likely not a lie because people lie for 3 reasons. Gain, (either personal or company), Protection, (because the truth could hurt them or company/family) or just a compulsive. Nothing in his statement could be taken as any of the 3. The opponent Arlovski got was due to a lack of choices at the time. Like I said above everyone they keep trying to get him to fight keep getting hurt or he had already fought. You also have to take in to account some guys turned down fighting Arlovski also because he is such a good fighter. Fighters act like they never turn down any fights but the truth is some of them do it all the time. But lets just say they put him on the under card because he was leaving. Well I would have done the same because at the time Arlovski was openly saying he was leaving the UFC so why promote a fighter that plans on leaving your company and you don't think the fighter he is facing can beat him.