Dana White offers Kimbo Slice a spot on UFCs The Ultimate Fighter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White offers Kimbo Slice a spot on UFCs The Ultimate Fighter
MMAcca
10/27/08 2:07:35AM
“What has the guy done to deserve to be in the UFC? Nothing. I don’t consider him a real athlete or anything. He won’t win The Ultimate Fighter (TUF). The offer is out there if he wants to take it and he won’t win it. I might [put a heavyweight show together just for him].”

UFC President Dana White answers a question at the UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” post-fight press conference about the chances of Kimbo Slice fighting inside the Octagon someday soon. Slice — a Miami street brawler turned mixed martial artist — is now out of a job because of the collapse of Elite XC. And while he may still be raw in terms of all around skills, Slice has huge drawing power — people flock to their televisions or computers to watch him do his thing. Therefore, it’s safe to say that if Slice does take up White on his offer that Spike TV ratings would likely go through the roof. But locking Kimbo in a house with several up-and-comers in their twenties for six weeks doesn’t ever seem like it would happen. Who knows, but the offer is apparently Slice’s for the taking to perhaps prove White wrong and earn a UFC contract.

LINK
Aether
10/27/08 2:53:57AM
Kimbo isn't a very good fighter but man I feel bad for him, he takes so much shit because of Gary Shaw's actions and from what I've seen the guy is really humble and understands that he has a lot to learn. To me, the only difference between Kimbo and a guy like Houston Alexander is that Kimbo was offered a lot of money. They're both one dimensional fighters with no ground game, if kimbo wasn't famous from his youtube fights I don't think people would be shitting all over him the way they are.
ThePlague
10/27/08 4:34:38AM

Posted by Aether

Kimbo isn't a very good fighter but man I feel bad for him, he takes so much shit because of Gary Shaw's actions and from what I've seen the guy is really humble and understands that he has a lot to learn. To me, the only difference between Kimbo and a guy like Houston Alexander is that Kimbo was offered a lot of money. They're both one dimensional fighters with no ground game, if kimbo wasn't famous from his youtube fights I don't think people would be shitting all over him the way they are.

I would find it much easier to like the guy if he didn't walk away from interviewers in mid-question and show up for the press conference for just two minutes and then leave like a prima donna. Chuck was at the entire post fight presser answering questions after Rashad put his lights out. Also, I'm not sure if he did it in his other fights but he wouldn't touch gloves with Petruzelli. To me he just comes off as taking all of his fame and money for granted and acting like kind of a douche. I could be wrong though, that's just what I've gathered from his actions.
Naturaldisaster
10/27/08 6:20:06AM
he should put kimbo and brett rogers on tuf
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/27/08 8:02:17AM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAAH
kimbo should take this...if he wanna keep makin' his bread
Mayhem13
10/27/08 9:45:12AM
I would watch.
4u2nv
10/27/08 10:40:20AM
i'd watch it to for sure. It would be huge for UFC actually and thats y Dana is extending the welcome mat for him.
PaleHorse
10/27/08 10:50:14AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAAH

5k a fight is way less than what he was making, but about how things normally start at the bottom of the UFC.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/27/08 10:52:30AM
if mac danzig had to be on the show to prove himself, kimbo should too
Twenty20Dollars
10/27/08 11:06:27AM
so what happens if kimbo actually wins the show. Then dana gets punk'd
Pyrenus
10/27/08 11:30:27AM
No way. If he wins the show then he has proven himself and everyone wins. This is the only way that Kimbo could ever enter the UFC without Dana looking like a complete tool.

SlimboKice
10/27/08 12:53:38PM
The only reason Dana wants kimbo is because it will bring in viewers who dont usually watch.
The UFC doesnt need him, but it wont hurt to have him.
holt8081
10/27/08 1:59:28PM
I would love to see Kimbo in the UFC just so I can see him lose, I would like to see him and Brock go at it
decken
10/27/08 2:17:18PM
Brock vs Kimbo is like throwing a kitten off of a cliff you already know what is going to happen and its not pretty. Anyways Kimbo would get tooled by TUF fighters.
jae_1833
10/27/08 2:45:30PM
After all that shit Dana said about him??!!! I don't know if I would take him up on his offer just because of that!!
holt8081
10/27/08 3:21:50PM

Posted by decken

Brock vs Kimbo is like throwing a kitten off of a cliff you already know what is going to happen and its not pretty. Anyways Kimbo would get tooled by TUF fighters.

Thats why I would like to see it
Branwest
10/27/08 3:46:52PM
Kimbo won't go on TUF, IMO. He can make more money elsewhere. Plus, if he loses on the show, which he would, then that would make it harder for him to continue his career. If he does do it, that would raise the ratings quite a bit. Just imagine him and a bunch of 20-somethings chillin' in a house together with no tv or newspapers or anything. That would drive him crazy. I would watch for sure. But if he lost to one of the TUF contenstants, then he would lose even more credibility. Hell, he already lost to a TUF contestant who didn't even win the show. I'd watch, but it won't happen. He can make more money doing other shows, plus the competition will probably be easier. Japan likes freak shows so he could end up there.
Naturaldisaster
10/27/08 5:03:12PM
if kimbo went on the show and won it wouldnt really matter because Anyone in the UFC HW division could beat him. So in the end i think Dana would get the last laugh
Bloodhound
10/27/08 5:07:46PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

he should put kimbo and brett rogers on tuf

ya and he should also straight up sign Antonio Silva after his suspension, but i think Kimbo if he was smart would fight DREAM
prozacnation1978
10/27/08 5:33:50PM
i think kimbo should take it, prove to dana and the fighters of the ufc that he belongs here
beerman77
10/27/08 9:00:55PM

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAAH

5k a fight is way less than what he was making, but about how things normally start at the bottom of the UFC.

if he wants to be a real mma fighter like he says 5k a fight should not matter..he would need to look at the bigger picture. ther chance to train mma with top trainers for 6 or 8 weeks or however long it is should be rewarding enough
cmill21
10/27/08 9:10:15PM

Posted by beerman77

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAAH

if he wants to be a real mma fighter like he says 5k a fight should not matter..he would need to look at the bigger picture. ther chance to train mma with top trainers for 6 or 8 weeks or however long it is should be rewarding enough

He trains with Bas Rutten though....
bls1919
10/27/08 9:42:20PM
The only reason Dana would say this is because there is no way in hell KIMBO would fight on TUF. Plus Kimbo will have opportunites to fight in other orgs for good money. IMO he will go to dream, maybe Affliction, but i can't see him beating anyone there. On the other hand maybe the UFC could go and get Brett Rogers???
EliasG
10/28/08 2:08:57AM
This makes total sense in an alternate universe where making less money and being treated with disrespect is the ultimate goal in life.

????

honestly, he'll go to Japan. Bas has tons of contacts there. He'll fight washed up fighters and tired fighters then have a few big fights with semi washed up fighters, draw tons of fans, and get better at his craft. then he "might" be halfway respectable come back to the US and make a big money fight with a middle of the road fighter or....Bob Sapp. haha. That would be a good fight for circus value.

D0wnUnd6e6r
10/28/08 7:11:55AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by beerman77

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAAH

He trains with Bas Rutten though....

he could be training with freaking royce gracie... he doesnt seem to listen or use the techniques that are showed to him in training cause he obviously ain't listening to Bas at aaaalll