Dana White is money hungry!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana White is money hungry!!
Next Page »
Jiu-Jitsu101
6/16/09 11:41:49PM
Ok, heres my problem with Dana White. I know everyone has their flaws and im sure their are others who dont like Dana White for many different reasons but you have to look at both sides of things. Yes, Dana White has made the UFC very popular and has done a very good job at running it to make hisself alot of money. From what i hear the UFC fighters dont get paid nearly as much as they could and should. They make alot of money from the Ufc and the fighters should be getting paid good money. Once again yes they do make good money but not directly from the UFC. They make money from endorsements which is cool in all but i think Dana White is pocketing more than he should. Please tell me your opinion whether or not you think im a complete idiot or agree with me 100% percent. I am an up front person and am open to changes in my opinion if somone brings up a good arguement.. Thank you
hippysmacker
6/16/09 11:54:25PM
He may be money hungry , but you have fighters making millions yearly now. I am not saying they couldn't make more, but Couture alone made over 7 million just from his last 4 fights, and he lost 2 of them.That doesn't include what he makes running his gym,$500 an hour private lessons he gives, endorsements, equipment sales, appearance fees,and acting roles . That's just purse, win bonuses, signing bonuses,possible fight of the night bonuses, ppv bonuses, and in 2 cases just a free good a job bonus. The other stuff I mentioned is increased when you fight in the ufc , so I think it directly correlates to his earnings as well. That is not too shabby.
slapshot
6/17/09 12:04:33AM
Jackelope
6/17/09 12:08:18AM
I'm still sitting carefully on the fence with Dana White. He has qualities I love, and he has flaws I hate. Most of all, though, he is a good business man. A little too good and too proud for his own good some might argue, but he fits the UFC right now.

I think the main things to keep in perspective when considering fighter pay is this

- It has recently gone up, and the bonuses are getting bigger and bigger.
- The big stars have absolutely no right to complain. They're raking it in hand over fist.
- Before Dana hands out all of the cash, he's making an attempt to solidify the brand

Now, I have my arguments about brand vs. fighter, but for right now the UFC is putting on a quality product that I thoroughly enjoy. So I won't complain too much. If the brand finds itself completely solidified (Another 5 years from now I'm guessing) then the pay differences should level out, and there should be no fighter on any UFC card making less than $20 G's a fight. Even if they lose.

If the brand finds itself completely solidified, and the brand starts pushing their agenda for best fighters in the world instead of taking in competitive outsiders and letting the fighters themselves hash out who is the best in the world, then I'll still have a problem with Dana. I think to an extent the UFC is doing this already, but at least they have the excuse of not being completely solidified yet. So they get a temporary pass from me.

Anyway, point is this- to boil it down to "Dana White is money hungry" is a bit unfair, and it doesn't speak at all to the depth of the situation we, as mma fans, find ourselves in with Dana White.
Dragoslav
6/17/09 12:43:22AM
The thing is that all these other companies come out and say that Dana needs to pay the fighters more..... and then they fold within a year. Hindsight is 20/20 so it appears Dana knows what he's doing more than they do.
ocho-cinco
6/17/09 2:07:04AM

Posted by hippysmacker

He may be money hungry , but you have fighters making millions yearly now. I am not saying they couldn't make more, but Couture alone made over 7 million just from his last 4 fights, and he lost 2 of them.That doesn't include what he makes running his gym,$500 an hour private lessons he gives, endorsements, equipment sales, appearance fees,and acting roles . That's just purse, win bonuses, signing bonuses,possible fight of the night bonuses, ppv bonuses, and in 2 cases just a free good a job bonus. The other stuff I mentioned is increased when you fight in the ufc , so I think it directly correlates to his earnings as well. That is not too shabby.

I agree that the bigger names like Couture make solid coin, but I feel like the lesser known fighters could make a bit more. I don't like seeing a guy make 10 Gs, and the guy he fought and beat makes 50 000. I might be wrong but 10 000 - 20 000 seems like enough to live on till your next fight, pay your trainers, and thats about it. I know they get sponsorship money as well, but I still think the fighters should make a larger cut. Considering how much the UFC makes off there sweat and sacrifice It only makes sense.
Jiu-Jitsu101
6/17/09 8:52:46AM
Jackelope thank you for posting you're opinion and know waht I kind of agree with you. Also thank you very much everyone else and keep posting your opinions : )
emfleek
6/17/09 9:29:20AM
Name one business man that *isn't* money hungry.
prozacnation1978
6/17/09 9:32:27AM
all i can say is it would be nice if fighters had health plans, coverage, insurance from the ufc
they should build their own health clinic for their fighters and families
they have the money to do it
emfleek
6/17/09 9:37:40AM
Fighters choose to do what they do. Dana isn't the only one signing the contract.

In my opinion, you have no right to bitch about working at McDonald's if you don't like the pay or benefits. You CHOSE to work there.

"But McDonald's makes millions and millions of dollars off the burgers I make!!!"

Too bad.

You have every right to move on and follow another career path.
FlashyG
6/17/09 9:49:24AM
one thing I think the UFC could improve would be transparency, We know what everyone makes in just about every other major professional sport but we have no idea how the pay-per-view money is split up or what other bonuses fighters receive from Zuffa. I think its also why in Undisputed you're paid in "cred" rather than dollars.

Its odd though that with all the complaints about how little fighters make, I've never seen a UFC fighter release his yearly income from Dana and Co.

Makes me believe they're not as unhappy as some of Dana's haters would have you believe.

just my 2 cents
Franklinfan47
6/17/09 11:28:06AM

Posted by emfleek

Name one business man that *isn't* money hungry.

This is the way of the world guys, especially in these hard economic times. If fighters dont like it, they dont have to sign with the ufc, simple as that.

backalley101
6/17/09 1:12:37PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

all i can say is it would be nice if fighters had health plans, coverage, insurance from the ufc

Jiu-Jitsu101
6/17/09 2:14:27PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I agree 100%. That would be very nice but will never happen sadly
postman
6/17/09 5:23:14PM
Anyone know what the opening fighters made for Coto Cottly?
Kpro
6/17/09 5:30:46PM
Fighting for the UFC is the ONLY reason they get as much in endorsements as they do, so endorsement money IS indirectly UFC pay.

The UFC pays as much as the market dictates and then some, plain and simple.

This isn't MLB where a Strasburg can get a Sabathia contract without throwing a pitch.

This isn't NFL where a Stafford can get a Manning contract without taking a snap.

This is an earn your contract sport based on your performance and I absolutely prefer it that way.

JimiMak
6/17/09 5:34:04PM
Did you start an account to start a thread that's been done a million times?
scobac
6/17/09 6:17:27PM

Posted by JimiMak

if you dont have any interest in the thread, then dont read it and certainly dont post on it. No reason you should take shots at anybody. Id like to see the mods take garbage quotes like yours off the thread so others dont have to read them!
Jackelope
6/17/09 6:40:17PM

Posted by scobac

Posted by JimiMak

if you dont have any interest in the thread, then dont read it and certainly dont post on it. No reason you should take shots at anybody. Id like to see the mods take garbage quotes like yours off the thread so others dont have to read them!

There is a rule for posts like that.. it's # 7

7. Do not be a forum troll. No one likes forum trolls. Forum trolls are users who post things that are either absurd or insanely stupid for the purpose of annoying / riling up other members. Do not troll. Trolls are bad.

It's obviously a bit of a subjective rule, but I would like to see more forum members paying better attention to it. I'm not going to start doling out warnings left and right, but if you've got nothing intelligent to say- don't bother posting. Also scobac, I appreciate the fact that you want to keep the forums clean, but calling out members can get to the point that it basically becomes the exact thing you're trying to fight against. Like I said, I appreciate your concern for the quality of posts, but it's just something to keep in mind

Also, to the people who do post meaningless flames/comments keep in mind that we keep track of who posts what, and while you may get away with an offense once or twice, if it becomes a pattern we will take action. I'm not saying this to "power trip" I'm saying it because the playground has always been a place for intelligent conversation, and we'd like to keep it that way. So far the debate has been pretty intelligent in this thread, and that's a damn good thing

Now, place nicely
Boo_Radley21
6/18/09 1:38:44AM
You know what, I've actually never had one problem with Dana White since I started watching the UFC. I don't get why everyone always complains about him. Sure they guys in the UFC may not get payed as much as guys in other sports, but look how much newer this sport is. Give it time and mixed martial artists will be making that huge money that other athletes are making these days. It's not really Dana's fault, leave the guy alone he's one of the main reasons the sport you all love so much is as big as it is right now. The man knows how to make money and how to get his name out and for that I give him props.
telnights
6/18/09 5:47:18PM
I will say this has been done to death. I think things are fine the way they are now and over time pay will keep going up. People seam to forget that MMA just start becoming main stream in the past 9 years and really didnt start making a huge impact till 6 years ago. In just a few years fighter pay has gone from the top guys making 1000s to making millions. Also your lower guys have gone from making 100s to making 1000s and it will just keep getting better. Dana is just like any other biz man out there and that is he is out to make for his company money. If you want to complain about fighter pay take a look at boxing. Your lower guys are lucking to make a 1000 dollars while the headliners are making almost 90% of the money from the event. This is one of the reasons the sport of boxing has gone way down hill the past 20 years and why a lot of boxers are moving over to MMA. Not to long ago there was and artical they showed that lower end fighters in the UFC were making a lot more than your non-main event boxers were.To top it off your UFC fighters have a chance to make big bouns for FOTN and so on.
Rush
6/18/09 7:13:03PM
I don't like the lack of parity in the fighters. I always hear about endorsments etc. etc. Well, does anyone have any idea how much a mid level fighter makes in sponsorships/endorsements? I am curious to know. My guess is that it is not that much. Otherwise they wouldn't need posters and shorts loaded with names and logos. How much do you think the condom shack pays (or could afford) a fighter, like Matt Serra, to have its name on shorts?

IMO, if a fighter is not in a TV commercial to some product, Iendorsing a product or has his picture (litterally) attached to a label, I doubt they are getting much for it.

Likewise, if a lot of these fighters were pulling in decent coin, I doubt they would be going to the trouble of selling their own product (shirts, shorts, etc.). Selling their own products is like having a second job. Either they have to put time and money into it or pay someone else to do it. The same goes for money they make teaching classes or seminars. Sure they can command a higher price than the average guy, but it's still like taking a second job. Also, only the top guys making the good money (in the first place) are the ones that really command top dollar for their teaching.

All in all I consider the idea of sponsorships and endorsements to be a moot point for every fighter except the top guys. That being said, most of the top guys with the decent endorsements are not the guys making a few thousand for a fight.

I am curious and will look into the reported payrolls over the past few years and see if they (and by how much) increased...
ncordless
6/18/09 7:33:19PM

Posted by emfleek

Fighters choose to do what they do. Dana isn't the only one signing the contract.

In my opinion, you have no right to bitch about working at McDonald's if you don't like the pay or benefits. You CHOSE to work there.

"But McDonald's makes millions and millions of dollars off the burgers I make!!!"

Too bad.

You have every right to move on and follow another career path.

That's one way to see it. The other side of that argument is McDonald's has no right to expect loyalty or a decent work ethic from it's workers and the people who eat there have no right to expect quality food prep or service because they are not paying enough to get those kind of things. McDonald's CHOOSES to pay its workers poorly, and people who eat there could go somewhere else.
You get what you pay for. When you pay for McDonald's, you are paying for a burger that was cooked for 28 seconds by a guy who doesn't know how to cook and is probably either a drug user or a sex offender.

But that is not the only way that business works. Many businesses recognize that a good relationship with its workforce and customers is good for business.

Personally, I hope that the UFC isn't a McDonald's. Sure, it is a big company. But the food is sh!tty. I don't want the UFC to grow to a huge entertainment media company with a sh!tty product.

I worked for McDonald's for a while out of high school. I got paid better than most of the people there because I wasn't mentally slow. I got paid $6 an hour... and I did $6 an hour's worth of work. The day I found a better job I left with no notice. I did not feel bad because if they wanted me to act like a good employee they would have paid me like one. Business ethics go both ways.
Jackelope
6/18/09 7:36:00PM
Rush- I am pretty close with several well known mid level fighters. While I don't discuss the exact specifics of pay from endorsements, I can tell you that they tally up into the thousands if you're on the main card. Obviously it depends a lot on who is sponsoring you, where the logo is situated, and whether or not you're the main event. I would say that for most main card mid level fighters you can expect them to earn around 25-50% of their purse again from endorsements. If you're the main event or close to it, you're talking a decent amount of cash flow.

Again, though.. this all depends on a lot of factors.
JimiMak
6/18/09 7:59:18PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by scobac

Posted by JimiMak

There is a rule for posts like that.. it's # 7

7. Do not be a forum troll. No one likes forum trolls. Forum trolls are users who post things that are either absurd or insanely stupid for the purpose of annoying / riling up other members. Do not troll. Trolls are bad.

It's obviously a bit of a subjective rule, but I would like to see more forum members paying better attention to it. I'm not going to start doling out warnings left and right, but if you've got nothing intelligent to say- don't bother posting. Also scobac, I appreciate the fact that you want to keep the forums clean, but calling out members can get to the point that it basically becomes the exact thing you're trying to fight against. Like I said, I appreciate your concern for the quality of posts, but it's just something to keep in mind

Also, to the people who do post meaningless flames/comments keep in mind that we keep track of who posts what, and while you may get away with an offense once or twice, if it becomes a pattern we will take action. I'm not saying this to "power trip" I'm saying it because the playground has always been a place for intelligent conversation, and we'd like to keep it that way. So far the debate has been pretty intelligent in this thread, and that's a damn good thing

Now, place nicely

8. If you have a question about something please do a search first to see if the topic has been touched upon recently before starting another topic.

This is also a rule in case you didn't see it when looking up one to call me a troll w/o cause. How many times do we have to see this thread every day? This isn't SB and when someone starts an account to start a thread that we all know there's already a hundred convo's on every mma forum in the world: well I don't think I'm the one you should be throwing names at. I hope you do keep track because I've been here since the begininng and am certainly not known as a troll. Me calling someone out for violating a rule, looking like it was intentional, certainly shouldn't get a response like that from you.
Jackelope
6/18/09 9:06:14PM

Posted by JimiMak

This is also a rule in case you didn't see it when looking up one to call me a troll w/o cause. How many times do we have to see this thread every day? This isn't SB and when someone starts an account to start a thread that we all know there's already a hundred convo's on every mma forum in the world: well I don't think I'm the one you should be throwing names at. I hope you do keep track because I've been here since the begininng and am certainly not known as a troll. Me calling someone out for violating a rule, looking like it was intentional, certainly shouldn't get a response like that from you.

I'm pretty sure as a moderator I'm familiar with the rules. I wasn't calling you a troll. I didn't give you a warning or give you the sign, did I? I'm pretty sure I also came to your defense a little bit. So just try to calm down a little bit, as I'm sure your assumption of me calling you a troll riles you up a little bit. Realize that the rule is written that way. Nowhere in my own personal text did I call you a troll.

The TS did not create his account just to start this thread. I'd been monitoring the forums all night, and I'd seen all the posts he made. I make it a point to keep an eye on brand new members. Can you really get angry and be a jerk to him when you consider the fact that he didn't look into old threads simply because he's brand new and unfamiliar with the rules? Honestly, if you really want to break down who I should scrutinize, it should be the veteran posters who are more familiar with the site and the way it's ran. We don't try to run off brand new posters just because they start a topic on something that's already been covered.

Also, there is the fact that he brought his opinion across in an intelligent manner, and was open to discussion on it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing a new perspective, with new evidence into a debate. If two people start a thread saying "Sanchez vs. Guida, who wins?" That is one thing, but if a person brings a new perspective on the persona of a MMA figure, I'm o.k. with letting them have their say. Each case presents itself differently, and I handle each case accordingly.

Anyway, point is this- there's no need to be a jerk to new members, and there's no need to call into question the way I do my job. If you want to have a discussion on that, you can mail the site's administrator, or take it up with me personally in a PM. I think you'll find when you take emotion out of the equation that

1) I Never called you a troll, nor gave you a warning. I simply posted a copy of a rule that has the word "troll" in it. Obviously by doing so it insinuates that you were taking part in "troll-like" behavior, but as I said- I didn't give you a warning, so clearly my judgment lied in favor of you NOT being a troll

2) I am a pretty level headed and rational person, and I execute my tasks as a moderator on a case-by-case basis in which I weigh my decisions carefully. That's not to say that I or any other moderators get it right every time, but a little good faith would be appreciated.

Or you can host your own little "uprising" and see how far that gets you. Really, rationality is my preferred method of dealing.

telnights
6/18/09 9:50:48PM

Posted by Rush
I am curious and will look into the reported payrolls over the past few years and see if they (and by how much) increased...

Here you go
UFC 48
Ken Shamrock: $170,000 ($120,000 to fight; $50,000 to win)
Matt Hughes: $110,000 ($55,000 to fight; $55,000 to win)
Frank Mir: $90,000 ($60,000 to fight; $30,000 to win)
Kimo: $55,000
Tim Sylvia: $40,000
Evan Tanner: $30,000 ($15,000 to fight; $15,000 to win)
Phil Baroni: $20,000
Frank Trigg: $20,000 ($10,000 to fight; $10,000 to win)
Matt Serra: $16,000 ($8,000 to fight; $8,000 to win)
Renato Verissimo: $10,000
Georges St-Pierre: $8,000 ($4,000 to fight; $4,000 to win)
Trevor Prangley: $5,000 ($2,500 to fight; $2,500 to win)
Dennis Hallman: $4,000
Curtis Stout: $3,000
Jay Hieron: $3,000
Ivan Menjivar: $2,000
Total Fighter Payroll: $586,000

UFC 98
MAIN CARD FIGHTERS
Lyoto Machida $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus) def. Rashad Evans $200,000 (win bonus would have been $175,000)
– Matt Hughes $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Matt Serra $75,000 (win bonus would have been $75,000)
– Drew McFedries $34,000 (includes $17,000 win bonus) def. Xavier Foupa-Pokam $6,000 (win bonus would have been $6,000)
– Chael Sonnen $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Dan Miller $15,000 (win bonus would have been $15,000)
– Frank Edgar $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Sean Sherk $40,000 (win bonus would have been $40,000)
PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS
– Brock Larson $42,000 (includes $21,000 win bonus) def. Mike Pyle $15,000 (win bonus would have been $15,000)
– Tim Hague $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus) def. Pat Barry $7,000 (win bonus would have been $7,000)
– Kyle Bradley $8,000 (includes $4,000 win bonus) def. Phillipe Nover $10,000 (win bonus would have been $10,000)
– Krzysztof Soszynski $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Andre Gusmao $5,000 (win bonus would have been $5,000)
– Yoshiyuki Yoshida $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Brandon Wolff $3,000 (win bonus would have been $3,000)
– George Roop $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Dave Kaplan $8,000 (win bonus would have been $8,000)
UFC 98 DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $956,000

As you can see it has gone up and so has the number of fights on one card. Now I would have gone back even more but was unable to find fighter pay before UFC 48 which was only 5 years ago. But also sponsorships has gone way up since then because of the growth of the sport.Fighter pay will keep going up as time goes by and sponsorships will get even bigger. You also have to take in to account that because of the UFCs and MMAs growth in the US it has made smaller shows pay out even more. This doesnt have the bouns on either pay roll which have also gone up. Now days the upper levels guys get a cut of PPV which can add up to a millions which they didnt get back in the day.
telnights
6/18/09 10:04:29PM
K found one little older

UFC 46: Supernatural
Date 1/31/2004
Total Payout $540,500

Vitor Belfort: $130,000 ($100,000 for fighting; $30,000 win bonus)
def Randy Couture: $120,000 ($120,000 for fighting; win bonus would have been $80,000)

Renato Verissimo: $10,000 ($5,000 for fighting; $5,000 win bonus)
def Carlos Newton: $30,000 ($30,000 for fighting; win bonus would have been $0)

BJ Penn: $50,000 ($25,000 for fighting; $25,000 win bonus)
def Matt Hughes: $55,000 ($55,000 for fighting; win bonus would have been $55,000)

Frank Mir: $90,000 ($60,000 for fighting; $30,000 win bonus)
def Wes Sims: $5,000 ($5,000 for fighting, win bonus would have been $5,000)

Lee Murray: $6,000 ($3,000 for fighting; $3,000 win bonus)
def Jorge Rivera: $3,000 ($3,000 for fighting; win bonus would have been $3,000)

Georges St. Pierre: $6,000 ($3,000 for fighting; $3,000 win bonus)
def Karo Parisyan: $3,000 ($3,000 for fighting; win bonus would have been $3,000)

Josh Thomson: $8,000 ($4,000 for fighting; $4,000 win bonus)
def Hermes Franca: $6,000 ($6,000 for fighting; win bonus would have been $6,000)

Matt Serra: $16,000 ($8,000 for fighting; $8,000 win bonus)
def Jeff Curran: $2,500 ($2,500 for fighting; win bonus would have been $2,000)

The past few years most events avg around 900k to 1.3mil in payouts.
Rush
6/18/09 10:34:58PM
I used wikipedia and plotted the average salary as a function of main event number. The data are below. There are some other ways I want to display it, but the "new and improved" Excel I have at home has been so dumbed down I can't figure out how to use the advanced features fast enough. Man I wish I could return to the original interface.

Anyhow, this figure speaks for itself.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Jackelope
6/18/09 10:40:49PM
Awesome. I wonder if the more recent lower figures are from UFN's?

Anyway, you can see that it is definitely trending upward. Not that myself or people who pay attention to MMA didn't know that already, but there is visual proof of the trend.

It should be noted that just within the last year the bonuses went from 30k to 60k
Pages: [1] 2