Dana White: Having "never met" Emelianenko, UFC exec may be interested in Barnett

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Having "never met" Emelianenko, UFC exec may be interested in Barnett
MMAcca
6/14/09 5:13:08PM
"If Josh Barnett beats Fedor, obviously I'd be interested in signing Josh Barnett," White said. "Obviously if he beats Fedor, he's one of the best in the world."

Barnett (24-5) and Emelianenko are scheduled to meet in the main event of "Affliction: Trilogy" on Aug. 1 in Anaheim, Calif.

LINK
TimW001
6/14/09 5:21:44PM
Was Dana being sarcastic....Or did he just compliment Fedor?

mrsmiley
6/14/09 7:43:16PM
Hard to say if Josh would even accept a deal with them.
I'm sure he would,but i bet the negotiation would be entertaining.
prozacnation1978
6/14/09 7:46:17PM
u have the money sign both these guys
grappler0000
6/14/09 8:13:04PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Hard to say if Josh would even accept a deal with them.
I'm sure he would,but i bet the negotiation would be entertaining.

It wasn't too long ago that he was campaigning to be in the UFC, so I'm assuming he would be willing...with a win over Fedor though, I'm sure his price tag would go up.
Kpro
6/14/09 8:19:50PM
win or lose, I hope Barnett goes to the UFC after this fight. There are so many good fights for him in the UFC, and he'd be an immediate fan favorite for the fans who don't know him.

Twenty20Dollars
6/14/09 8:43:10PM
Yeah awhile back Barney was talking about the UFC, and I thought there was something wrong with Dana and Josh as to why UFC didnt sign him.

UFC should have signed him.
BDON911
6/15/09 12:01:34AM
so what will dana say once fedor wins
Jackelope
6/15/09 12:27:22AM
Nice to see Dana giving some props to Fedor, and also recognizing Barnett's skill.

I really, really think Barnett can beat Fedor. So this may play out interesting.
xAcidburNx
6/15/09 1:09:19AM

Posted by Jackelope

Nice to see Dana giving some props to Fedor, and also recognizing Barnett's skill.

I really, really think Barnett can beat Fedor. So this may play out interesting.

your jackelope looks more like a scuzzlebutt lol
Aether
6/15/09 5:13:18AM

Posted by Jackelope

I think Barnett had a chance to beat Fedor a couple of years ago, but I see him losing pretty badly in the first round at this point. Just imagine if he put up a performance against Fedor like he did against Yvel. Yes Yvel is tough, but 12 minutes in the mount? There were points where Gilbert was outstriking him off of his back to the point where Josh had to cover up lol.

For me, Barnett, Nog, CroCop, a lot of these guys are kind of falling by the wayside. It's not that I think they weren't great in their time, but the sport is evolving so rapidly and they don't seem to be making any attempt to keep up with it. I had been saying Nog looked terrible since his first fight in the UFC. I didn't think Mir would take him out by any means but it seems clear that a lot of these guys have relied for so long on one strategy that they can't adapt anymore. On top of that most of them are getting on in years, slowing down, getting a little punch drunk and easier to KO.

I think Fedor needs to fight Barnett just because the fight has been so long in the making. I really hope he signs a one fight deal to fight Overeem and then moves on to face the new breed of heavyweight that has been emerging in the UFC (Velasquez, Lesnar, Carwin, Mir, etc.)