Dana White makes Nick Diaz an offer: Lyoto Machida at 185 pounds

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White makes Nick Diaz an offer: Lyoto Machida at 185 pounds
Next Page »
infestructure
8/14/13 10:47:40PM
OSTON – For now, Nick Diazremains retired. But if he wants to come back, UFC President Dana White has an offer for him: Lyoto Machida in a middleweight contest."I talked to Diaz today, and I made him an offer, so we'll see what happens," White said. "He had been talking about going to 185 pounds. Machida has been talking about going to 185 pounds. So we wanted to see if he wanted to fight Machida at 185."White revealed his offer during a special Q&A session at Boston's Barrio Cantina, where he appeared as part of a fundraising effort for The Shawn Thornton Foundation at an event billed as the UFC Homecoming.Diaz (26-9 MMA, 1-2 UFC), the former Strikeforce welterweight champ, hasn't fought since March, when he lost a unanimous decision to Georges St-Pierre in a failed bid for the UFC welterweight title. It was Diaz's second decision loss in a row after he also fell short against Carlos Condit in a UFC 143 bout for the UFC's interim welterweight title.After the loss, a frustrated Diaz said he was done with the sport and has thus far kept his word.Meanwhile, former UFC light heavyweight champion Machida (19-4 MMA, 11-4 UFC) fought earlier this month at UFC 163, where he suffered a hotly contested unanimous-decision loss to Phil Davis. Both before and after the bout, Machida teased the potential for a move down to 185 pounds but ultimately said he'd defer to UFC brass to make the decision.The offer seems to throw some doubt on a rumored Machida vs. Vitor Belfort fight, which White was also said to be looking to book. Belfort has repeatedly refused to fight at 185 pounds unless he's granted a shot at the title, but that belt is currently tied up until new champ Chris Weidman rematches former titleholder Anderson Silva in December. Instead, Belfort has expressed a desire to fight outside of the division in hopes of retaining his position as a No. 1 contender in the middleweight class."I wanted Machida to fight Vitor Belfort, but Vitor Belfort is his own matchmaker, apparently," White joked. "He wants to make his own fights."White said he's not sure whether or not Diaz will accept the offer, and an exact date for the matchup has yet to be determined, though November seems the most likely timeframe. But for now, it remains Diaz's choice. White said he tendered the offer and will now wait for a response."They said they'd gt back to me," 

Sorrybout the wall of text, I'm on y phone

Linkitude
frizzzlecake
8/14/13 11:24:32PM
I can only imagine Diaz's whining after this fight, if Diaz accepts.
Bubbles
8/14/13 11:51:05PM
could be Condit vs Diaz all over again...but I'll still watch
Budgellism
8/14/13 11:54:19PM
Interesting clash of styles. There are a bunch of other fights I'd rather see both guys in though.
kopower
8/15/13 12:01:25AM

Posted by Bubbles

My first thoughts exactly
tallica62
8/15/13 12:01:50AM
again Phil Davis has a big win - regardless of judged right or wrong - and he's cast out of the spotlight and his opponent remains in the spotlight despite a loss... ie Gustaffson
bjj1605
8/15/13 12:02:44AM

Posted by Bubbles

Except with Diaz getting brutally knocked out after about 3 minutes.
OnyxShadow
8/15/13 12:18:16AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

Diaz get knocked out? By Machida?

As for the fight itself, meh. Shogun or Mousasi at 185 versus Diaz would be almost guaranteed FotN.
DrivenDavies15
8/15/13 12:42:48AM
Dana's throwing out so many possible fights lately, for Machida especially. I don't like it lol. I feel like I'm being teased and have a hard time believing this fight will happen.
Webbie
8/15/13 3:23:20AM
I like the style match up. Machida's elusive, counter punching style versus Diaz's aggressive, high volume boxing attack. I'd expect Machida to take a unanimous decision, but hopefully we'll see for ourselves. Either way, I'm excited to finally see Machida at middleweight, if it does happen.

I hope they put this fight together and make Belfort fight Mousasi
airkerma
8/15/13 6:28:00AM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Dana's throwing out so many possible fights lately, for Machida especially. I don't like it lol. I feel like I'm being teased and have a hard time believing this fight will happen.

Dana white's business strategy: throw as much shit at a wall as possible and see if any of it sticks. Then when it inherently doesn't , tell the media about it and let them and the fans talk about ducking. Just make a damned fight and then tell us about it. Others have said diaz vs gegard...now that could be fun but if not, what's next for gegard?
State_Champ
8/15/13 7:15:34AM
Screw it. Let's just do Nick Diaz vs JDS!
jjeans
8/15/13 7:34:09AM
I think Diaz would die of a stress induced heart attack getting so angry at Machida stepping away. His antics would begin all fun and jokey but by the end of a 15 minute fight having taken about 4 leg kicks. And that been the only thing that happened in the entire fight I think he'd be so wound up he'd die.
george112
8/15/13 7:47:09AM

Posted by tallica62

again Phil Davis has a big win - regardless of judged right or wrong - and he's cast out of the spotlight and his opponent remains in the spotlight despite a loss... ie Gustaffson

This x1000

Ridiculous
BillsNewAccount
8/15/13 8:52:56AM
Dana is such a dipshit. This would make for an awful fucking fight. If Nick Diaz stays at 170 they need to have him fight Matt the Immortal. There is no way that wouldn't be the fight of the millennia.
Bubbles
8/15/13 9:10:35AM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Dana is such a dipshit. This would make for an awful fucking fight. If Nick Diaz stays at 170 they need to have him fight Matt the Immortal. There is no way that wouldn't be the fight of the millennia.

won't happen as Brown would get subbed via guillotine early
jjeans
8/15/13 9:11:32AM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

I agree that Brown/Diaz would be a war. That said Diaz has said he only wants to fight GSP or Weidman/Silva.

On reflection thats stupid for another reason because he hates press conferences and those fights would be main events... Anyway back on track.

He said he'd only fight GSP or Silva/Weidman.
If you're calling out 2 MW's and 1 WW, and one of those fights he already lost badly. As an outsider looking in, it looks like Diaz is more open to fighting at MW than at WW. At this point in Diaz's career he couldn't care less about fighting a guy like Brown just for the war, he just wants the biggest payday he can get and I think he believes he can get that through Main Eventing a PPV and smack talking like crazy to get some views.

If I was Diaz and that was the situation I was in. I'd be calling out Sonnen at 185. The amount of PPV buys off that hype would be huge, plus its am interesting stylistically fight.
Diaz has got to know deep down he won't get Silva/Weidman or GSP after a loss to GSP. Especially after Josh Thompson closed the lid on the coffin of the 209 Era.
Bubbles
8/15/13 9:16:19AM

Posted by OnyxShadow

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

Diaz get knocked out? By Machida?

exactly. Paul Daley has just as much, if not more, 1 punch KO power than Machida and he couldn't finish Diaz, nor does Diaz have a questionable chin like Evans and Bader
Theoutlaw08
8/15/13 9:18:52AM
Why? Why even let him back? Time and time again he screws the company over by failed drug tests and not showing up for shit. Don't sign him back.
Budgellism
8/15/13 9:39:06AM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Why? Why even let him back? Time and time again he screws the company over by failed drug tests and not showing up for shit. Don't sign him back.

His name on a card brings in money. A lot of it.
Poor_Franklin
8/15/13 10:04:08AM
This fight doesnt do much for me, yet it is interesting
prozacnation1978
8/15/13 10:37:03AM
Either fight sounds good.
GDPofMPG
8/15/13 10:49:12AM
This is so ridiculous, I'm not sure why anyone would even announce this publicly.
BillsNewAccount
8/15/13 10:56:51AM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

He's arguably one of the most exciting fighter in mma.
FlashyG
8/15/13 11:55:31AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Actually despite his huge popularity on the internet his PPV numbers are not very good at all.

I guess his fans stream the fight.

His only successful PPV was vs GSP and that had more to do with Georges ability to get viewers to pay for the event.

Diaz other 2 headlining cards did far far worse, his fight with Penn landed only 280,000 buys, one of the worst in modern UFC history.
Bubbles
8/15/13 12:11:27PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Actually despite his huge popularity on the internet his PPV numbers are not very good at all.

I guess his fans stream the fight.

His only successful PPV was vs GSP and that had more to do with Georges ability to get viewers to pay for the event.

Diaz other 2 headlining cards did far far worse, his fight with Penn landed only 280,000 buys, one of the worst in modern UFC history.

that was a very weak card, name wise, as well...not to mention Diaz's first fight back in the UFC. And since we know the majority of MMA fans only know the UFC it's not a surprise. I'd attest this number more to the lack of popularity of BJ Penn. UFC 143 hit close to 400,000 buys so I'd say Diaz's name value is pretty high after 1 fight in front of today's MMA fanbase
bjj1605
8/15/13 12:56:10PM

Posted by tallica62

Not regardless if it was judged right or wrong. That's important.

One of the few good things about Dana White treating this sport like his own little dictatorship is that he can ignore moronic judges decisions. This was one of the worst decisions in memory.
bjj1605
8/15/13 12:57:58PM

Posted by Bubbles

exactly. Paul Daley has just as much, if not more, 1 punch KO power than Machida and he couldn't finish Diaz, nor does Diaz have a questionable chin like Evans and Bader

Or that Thiago Silva guy. If there's one thing he's known for, its a questionable chin.
Edwards
8/15/13 2:29:42PM
I love to see Diaz fight again but Diaz v Machida no thanks, awful matchup by the ufc if its true.
traveller77
8/15/13 3:44:05PM

Posted by Bubbles

Absolutely right, this will be Machida dancing away and Diaz getting more and more frustrated. Our only hope is its a 3 round fight and Machida knows he has to engage more after his last fight, might be good but I doubt it.
Pages: [1] 2