Dana White Makes Latest "Stunning Announcement" Today

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Makes Latest "Stunning Announcement" Today
DCRage
6/30/10 12:06:23PM
And it's this: If you're going to UFC 116, leave your vuvuzelas at home. In what's likely more of a good-natured publicity stunt than a vital new policy, UFC officials today announced a ban of vuvuzelas at this weekend's UFC 116 event. Vuvuzelas are horn-shaped noisemakers popularized (and perhaps overused) during this year's FIFA World Cup. UFC president Dana White is credited with implementing the ban. "This decision was pretty simple for me," White stated. "Vuvuzelas make the most horrific sound I've ever heard. I'd rather let Brock punch me in the face than hear 15,000 people blow on those things."

Article
emfleek
6/30/10 12:11:13PM
Agreed. Dumbest thing ever.
DCRage
6/30/10 12:18:49PM
I think it would've been hilarious to hear them at a UFC. I admit I can tolerate them and actually don't mind that they're popping up everywhere. Actually, they're nice at soccer games, drowns out all those chants & singing.
emfleek
6/30/10 12:20:54PM

Posted by DCRage

I think it would've been hilarious to hear them at a UFC. I admit I can tolerate them and actually don't mind that they're popping up everywhere. Actually, they're nice at soccer games, drowns out all those chants & singing.

Soccer bores the crap out of me anyways. Those stupid things just made it that much more unbearable to watch. If they made their way into a UFC event, it would be the first time I've ever watched a PPV with no sound.
mshalosky
6/30/10 12:33:18PM
It sounds like there are tons of bees flying around everywhere. Easily the best decision the UFC has ever made.
copcopps
6/30/10 12:53:24PM
Dana, you're my hero and that's the only time any of you will hear me say that
ncordless
6/30/10 1:03:19PM
I'd rather hear the vuvuselas than a bunch of idiots booing when the fighters don't throw haymakers for more than five seconds.

Seriously though, I hate vuvuselas. Those british guys that do the commentating for the world cup are great, but I turn the sound off for every match because I don't like the sound of a thousand pissed off hornets in my living room. I love the crowd noise at soccer matches. All the singing and cheering is freaking awesome in my book and beats the crap out of hearing Gary Glitter or some crappy nu metal blasting on the PA like many US sporting events. Bring it back and ban the vuvusela after this world cup.
DCRage
6/30/10 1:08:11PM
That's why I watch my soccer in Spanish. The announcers are always very enthusiastic. Tried watching ABC's English coverage but the commentary bored me.
RyanC
6/30/10 1:12:00PM
I think I might be one of the few people that is not bothered by the vuvuzelas.
vomitshovel
6/30/10 1:12:07PM
Finally a part of this forum that i have TOTAL expertise in.
I have lived in south africa all my life and have been hearing vuvu's for SO long.
They have ruined all sport in this country and the tenacity of some guys that can blow on an annoying horn for hours on end with no purpose or motive is quite insane.
BE GLAD you americans and europeans don't have this curse.
I HAVE ALSO taken the liberty of making a new MMAPLAYGROUND site!
This is the new url.
It is awesome.
Like vuvuzelas.
And the plague.

NEW MMAPLAYGROUND
emfleek
6/30/10 1:17:28PM

Posted by DCRage

That's why I watch my soccer in Spanish.

I really hope you know Spanish. Otherwise, that's just plain weird to me.
DCRage
6/30/10 1:24:21PM
A little bit, i should know more than I do (it's technically the second language in my family). I know the most important stuff, the names of the countries and of course "GOL".
Jackelope
6/30/10 1:42:53PM
If somebody showed up with Vuvuzelas it would have been funny for about 2 minutes. Then, the person would have most likely ended up getting their ass kicked and started a giant brawl in the middle of the event.
bjj1605
6/30/10 3:15:13PM

Posted by Jackelope

If somebody showed up with Vuvuzelas it would have been funny for about 2 minutes. Then, the person would have most likely ended up getting their ass kicked and started a giant brawl in the middle of the event.

knowing MMA fans I don't see how any other outcome could have been possible.
babalu46
6/30/10 3:54:18PM
Unfortunately the reports are that the vuvuzelas will be coming home with fans after the world cup which will ruin the season for me, i have no problem with them at the world cup it's in South Africa so it's part of the experience there but i really hope they don't make a permanent stay here.
grappler0000
6/30/10 4:08:07PM
Anyone notice Youtube added a button below their videos so you can play that sound over any video? Worst idea ever.
TheGodfather1024
6/30/10 4:44:54PM
i agree with Dana, they absolutely don't need to be in the arena
BlueSkiesBurn
6/30/10 4:56:35PM

Posted by RyanC

I'm right there with you Ryan. I'll actually go as far as to say I like them. They double as a handy beer bong in a pinch. I'm just able to tune things out better than most. But seriously, it's an awesome beer bong, too.
RyanC
6/30/10 5:01:17PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RyanC

I'm right there with you Ryan. I'll actually go as far as to say I like them. They double as a handy beer bong in a pinch. I'm just able to tune things out better than most. But seriously, it's an awesome beer bong, too.

I liked them when the World Cup started. I still kind of like them, but after all the soccer games I have watched they have worn on me a little bit. I can still live with them. I don't think they've been quite as bad during the round of 16. I still love how loud they get when a big play happens, or when there is a big moment. You can hear the sound swell up within the stadium.

The beer bong is a pretty darn good idea. Plus who wouldn't want to blow into that thing after bonging a beer.

All that said I still don't really want them during a UFC fight. I like the sound of leather hitting skull.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/30/10 5:27:31PM
I'm telling you, they really work as a beer bong. It's awesome at USC games. Just bong the hell out of that beer and then cheer on. Usually people are more interested in taking a beer bong with you than being pissed off about the hornet sound.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/30/10 5:30:08PM

Posted by grappler0000

Anyone notice Youtube added a button below their videos so you can play that sound over any video? Worst idea ever.

Where is this button? I can't find it anywhere.
KoldKhaos
6/30/10 5:37:38PM
Too bad can't ban cell phones from the arena... CAUSE THERES AN APP FOR THAT!
StriderXero
6/30/10 6:55:34PM
Dammit....I had my vuvuzela all polished and ready to go, SCREW THIS I aint going to ufc 116 anymore!

i dont know what Dana's complaining about...

those horns will probably wake up fighters much faster when they get knocked out.
submissionartist1
6/30/10 11:03:32PM
Id like to see brock punch dana in the face....
grappler0000
7/3/10 3:39:36PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by grappler0000

Where is this button? I can't find it anywhere.

It's got a soccer ball icon on it...don't worry, you're not missing much though.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/3/10 3:44:25PM
You'll have to show me a link for this. I've looked on YouTube everywhere and don't see anything out of the ordinary. I really just want to send someone a video via email with vuvuzela's playing. It would make me laugh.