Dana White: Lyoto Machida could be pound-for-pound best fighter in the world

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Lyoto Machida could be pound-for-pound best fighter in the world
SmileR
1/4/09 2:20:50PM
Dana comments on Lyoto and much, much more. Well worth the time!

Link
Sir_Karl
1/4/09 2:44:14PM
I agree with Dana on Machida.
I don't see who is going to beat him.
He is as smart a fighter as it gets.
He is patient and disciplined.
He waits for opportunities to open.
I don't see any real weak points in his game.
Plus his Karate style has been one of his biggest advantages or strong points.
He certainly is unorthodox and MMA fighters really don't have too much of a clue as to how to defend against him or even how to attack him.
He will be the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion.
upsetstomach
1/4/09 3:46:42PM

He is patient and disciplined. He waits for opportunities to open. I don't see any real weak points in his game.

Being patient and disciplined are ultimately what are going to cost him a loss. He's elusive like a ninja but as everyone knows it only takes one lucky shot to put a man on the ground.

His time will come when he meets his match, Anderson is the only fighter in the world who should be given the moniker "Best pound for pound fighter in the world"...he truly has no weak points in his game.
tuvok500
1/4/09 4:14:38PM
I think Rashad would put him to sleep, i don't think Machida's style is going to be too hard to solve for Greg Jackson.

Shawn17
1/4/09 4:44:46PM

Posted by tuvok500

I think Rashad would put him to sleep, i don't think Machida's style is going to be too hard to solve for Greg Jackson.

Yeah because anyone has come close to solving it? You cant find a training partner in the world that can mimick what Lyoto does. He has no style, he justs adapts to who he is fighting and picks them apart. His takedown defense, striking from the outside along with his solid jiu jitsu game and warrior spirit will frustrate rashad and his skills allow him to nullify ne1's style. He will submit Rashad late in the fight(if it happens).
wapttn
1/4/09 4:53:06PM

i think its fair to say that machida 'could' be the best p4p in the world simply because he's fought some very decent competition, and has never been close to being beaten. His style has worked very well for him thus far, and he's shown a lot of the skills you need to compete against top competition.. like sub defense, escapes, tosses, etc... he's not all stick and move. I dont think you could be sure of the fact that he's a legitimate p4p contender until he's found a few more fighters... perhaps a counter puncher who wont give in to him. If he holds the belt and has beat a few more top5s.. then i'd put him in my rankings.

Posted by upsetstomach

His time will come when he meets his match, Anderson is the only fighter in the world who should be given the moniker "Best pound for pound fighter in the world"...he truly has no weak points in his game.

anderson truly has no weak points in his game? ur right, his takedown defense is right up there with penn's, and his wrestling is at par with gsp's... are you serious? of all the p4p fighters, silva has the biggest holes in his game. The reason why everyone is convinced that silva is the best p4p fighter in the world is because he's cleaned out the most shallow divsion in the ufc, and with gsp coming off a ko loss to serra, dana white needed someone to hype as the best p4p fighter in the world to get the casual fan from finding out about fedor. Silva belongs in the top5 for sure... but what arguments do you have to put silva over fedor? Skillset? Record? Ground game? Opponents? Silva is the best mma striker in the world, an amazing fighter, and a great champion, but you need to get to know the sport a little more before you start saying that this guy has no holes in his game and therefore is the only fighter who should be referenced as a p4p champ
HumanTarget
1/4/09 5:16:50PM
Do you honestly rated Jackson that much over everyone? Your telling me he is going to crack the puzzle that 13 have tried AND failed? Not mentioning the fact that many of those 13 are top 10-15 fighters?

I guess Kieth Jardine wasn't sold on what Jackson told him when he fought Wandy.
dannyfrank
1/4/09 5:30:26PM
there is a very good possibility that he could be #1 p4p eventually. he adapts to his opponents, he has good movement, he is unpredictable, and he knows how to avoid punishment. now, im my honest and humble opinion, those are some of the most important assets that make a great fighter. i just really wish they would give the man a damn title shot so he can at least prove it to everyone.
wrona666
1/4/09 7:07:34PM
Mahida definately needs to fight some top 5'ers before this talk starts.....The man has a very good style, but he is not at that point yet. If he gets past Thiago which i think will be a good test i would like to see a title shot.
motorboatensob
1/4/09 7:08:20PM
He could be the second best p4p fighter in the world right behind my left nutt. Give me a break let the man fight somone before you go calling him that. How many fighters has everyone got all hyped up about and then as soon as they fight a real contender they get exposed. His next three fights will tell just how good or bad he is.
jae_1833
1/4/09 7:17:17PM

My opinion is still that Machida is the most overrated fighter in the game right now. It will stay that way until he starts finishing his opponents. Of his last 4 years he has only finished 2 opponents, Dimitri Wanderley and Soku. I know that 3 years ago he beat an overweight BJ, and in 03' he KO'ed both Bonnar and Franklin. However I cannot rank someone so highly that hasn't defeated a top 10 opponent in 3-4 years. If he doesn't ride out a decision against T. Silva, then I think he will rate some of the hype. However if he stays away from Silva and does the stick and move thing for 15 minutes instead of decisively engaging the man, then I will continue to not support him. I don't watch MMA to not see someone get taken out. No matter what you say about fights that have gone to decision being wars, I prefer for someone to win without some body else's opinion being involved. I support guys who finish fights!
casey64
1/4/09 7:37:18PM

Posted by tuvok500

No doubt.
HumanTarget
1/4/09 7:43:49PM

Posted by jae_1833

My opinion is still that Machida is the most overrated fighter in the game right now. It will stay that way until he starts finishing his opponents. Of his last 4 years he has only finished 2 opponents, Dimitri Wanderley and Soku. I know that 3 years ago he beat an overweight BJ, and in 03' he KO'ed both Bonnar and Franklin. However I cannot rank someone so highly that hasn't defeated a top 10 opponent in 3-4 years. If he doesn't ride out a decision against T. Silva, then I think he will rate some of the hype. However if he stays away from Silva and does the stick and move thing for 15 minutes instead of decisively engaging the man, then I will continue to not support him. I don't watch MMA to not see someone get taken out. No matter what you say about fights that have gone to decision being wars, I prefer for someone to win without some body else's opinion being involved. I support guys who finish fights!

How is Machida overrated? If anything its opposite. He has beaten great fighters and SO WHAT if he doesn't finish it? It sounds like you're basing your conclusions on the fact that machida is boring and doesn't finish fights! QQ...
gsquat
1/4/09 8:07:05PM

Posted by tuvok500

I actually disagree. Barring a flash KO like Liddell, Evans would fall victim to Machida's style as well.
StriderXero
1/4/09 8:10:53PM
I'm not sure if Machida is cut out to be the top p4p fighter. I do believe that Machida will be the UFC's LHW king. I'm a Machida fan andI hope he has a very successful career.

Now for Dana White saying that the UFC will be bigger than soccer in 8 years..........HELL NO. Dont get me wrong, MMA is by far my favorite sport. But Dana fails to realize just how popular soccer is. Soccer isn't as popular here in the US as it is in other countries. But other countries build new stadiums just because the World Cup is going to be held there.
bls1919
1/4/09 8:40:29PM
I am on track with Dana for once. Machida is going to rule the LHW div as soon as he gets his shot. After he dominates i see a future super match between A Silva and Machida. Similar to Penn vs GSP. I know they are buddies but money lalks. I am thinking like 3 yrs from now. Machida is right behinde the spider as my favorite fighter.
wapttn
1/4/09 9:08:12PM

Posted by bls1919

I am on track with Dana for once. Machida is going to rule the LHW div as soon as he gets his shot. After he dominates i see a future super match between A Silva and Machida. Similar to Penn vs GSP. I know they are buddies but money lalks. I am thinking like 3 yrs from now. Machida is right behinde the spider as my favorite fighter.

you see silva fighting machida in 3 years? really? Correct me if i'm wrong, but Silva is quite intent on retiring at the end of his current contract, which based on his frequency of fights will be by the end of 2009. Unless someone in the mw division dethrones him, i dont see that changing. The reason why he has no interest in competing in the lhw division is because he's said that the lhw division belongs to machida. Neither of these fighters have shown any sign that they would fight eachother for the right amount of money, and if there is a price... based on current salaries, the ufc would not be willing to pay it.

In all likelihood, this fight will not happen
im2fast4u1981
1/4/09 9:41:18PM
P4P......lmao....he will not win his next fight...he is barely a top ten lhw fighter.... the dragon shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as... b.j penn,gsp,fedor,faber,torres.. cant wait 2 watch everyone jump off this bandwagon... OVERRATED
JimiMak
1/4/09 9:52:00PM
Machida beats anyone in the LHW div in the world right now. Everyone knows it. Some root against him because they don't like his style, that's fine, but to deny he is the best in a stacked div is to not have seen more than like one fight and the rest you looked up on SB. He's never been boring. He's never "done nothing but stick and move" he does engage, but he chooses when and how and takes everyone else out of their gameplan. He makes the best guys in the world look like little kids in class. If you think that's boring then OK
HumanTarget
1/4/09 10:04:53PM
Listen IF (and thats a big IF), Machida is overrated he will surely beat a very overrated fighter such as Thiago himself. This guy has gotten lucky in a few fights and surely cannot keep the pace that Machida will set.
Sir_Karl
1/4/09 11:00:40PM
I just have to laugh.
The-Don
1/5/09 3:53:25AM

Posted by im2fast4u1981

P4P......lmao....he will not win his next fight...he is barely a top ten lhw fighter.... the dragon shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as... b.j penn,gsp,fedor,faber,torres.. cant wait 2 watch everyone jump off this bandwagon... OVERRATED

Umm Didn't Machida beat BJ????? You Fail...
TheNatural915
1/5/09 7:46:52AM
He could be he is a great fighter. He needs to beat some better opponents
gsquat
1/5/09 11:53:00AM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by im2fast4u1981

Oh snap!
EliasG
1/5/09 6:18:28PM
I don't think it matters much. I love Lyoto's style but truth be told, he's a fighter and those decisions have to be made in the ring. I wold like him to have a little more of a killer instinct when guys get hurt but he's the Mayweather of MMA and he's too safe to just put himself out htere like that. I wish I could fight like that.

that said, I'd rather not talk about if he's the best and let Dana give him great fighters to fight. He has done such a great job and not gotten shots at bigger names for us to find out if he is really "that good."

the Thiago fight will be awesome. So will rampage, rashad, chuck, wandy, forrest....alll of those fights are intriguing.
EliasG
1/5/09 6:21:12PM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by im2fast4u1981

Bj is a lightweight and fought him very well IMO and almost beat him. He certainly had Lyoto's bell rung a few times and Mr. Elusive got hit quite a bit. That's like Lyoto fighting Fedor, and just barely losing. Not so shabby. :)

Penn for champion in all weight classes. ;) All he has to do is win the GSP fight and then eat a lot and be ready for the Spider fight. ;)
The-Don
1/6/09 2:08:25PM

Posted by EliasG

Posted by The-Don

Posted by im2fast4u1981

Bj is a lightweight and fought him very well IMO and almost beat him. He certainly had Lyoto's bell rung a few times and Mr. Elusive got hit quite a bit. That's like Lyoto fighting Fedor, and just barely losing. Not so shabby. :)

Penn for champion in all weight classes. ;) All he has to do is win the GSP fight and then eat a lot and be ready for the Spider fight. ;)

Almost?? Umm I never knew they kept track of a fighters Almost wins.. Not to say Bj did not give him a run for his money.. But Nog Almost Beat Fedor, twice. Pulver Almost beat Faber, the list of Almosts goes on and on... Its the Win that counts not the almost win... I like BJ don't get me wrong.. But There is a long list of guys who ALMOST beat Lyoto.
MMAcca
1/6/09 5:37:21PM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by im2fast4u1981

I love how the guy hasn't replied
EliasG
1/6/09 6:50:52PM
Almost does count. Being competitive and keeping a fight close is entirely different than getting merked. Getting KO'd, Subbed, TKO'd all indicate that perhaps you shouldn't be in the ring with someone or are obvioiusly not in the same class. Keeping a fight very competitive or close--"almost" means that a fight could go either way and will most likely be competitive again.

Ask yourself this--would you be willing to watch CHuck Lidell fight Rampage again? Would you be willing to watch GSP fight Matt Hughes again? These contests aren't close anymore. On the other hand, Griffin v. Rampage again...a good fight. It's close.

Almost counts...not on records...but in fighting it counts.
Boo_Radley21
1/7/09 1:02:16AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by The-Don

Posted by im2fast4u1981

I love how the guy hasn't replied

Guys, BJ Penn is a lightweight fighter. Even if he weighed in at light heavyweight when he fought Machida, look how small he is. I will say that that takes at least a bit of credit away from that win for Machida.

Machida is P4P the least entertaining fighter in MMA, but he gets the job done. That being said, Thiago Silva takes their fight and exposes him.