Dana White on Kenny Florian: 'He Chokes in the Big Fights'

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana White on Kenny Florian: 'He Chokes in the Big Fights'
jae_1833
8/29/10 2:42:07PM
link
"I hate to say this because I don't want to take anything away from Gray Maynard, but I think Kenny is just one of those guys who chokes in big fights," UFC president Dana White said. "I'm not bad-mouthing him or trying to disrespect him; I'm just being honest."
Twenty20Dollars
8/29/10 2:59:09PM
well I doubt dana would have said that if kenny was at the post-fight press conference.

I wouldnt say he chokes, lost to sherk and maynard bigger stronger wrestlers by decision and was finished by BJ.
AchillesHeel
8/29/10 5:05:41PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I wouldnt say he chokes, lost to sherk and maynard bigger stronger wrestlers by decision and was finished by BJ.

I agree. It's no coincidence that "big" fights also tend to be against the toughest opposition. Still, nobody wants to become "the Buffalo Bills of [insert sport here]."
Jackelope
8/29/10 5:23:49PM
Seems like a messed up thing to say. Give some credit to the competition he's been fighting. Kenny looked pretty good in the 1st round last night IMO. I know Dana tried to qualify the statement and he said he didn't mean to insult anyone, but honestly... it's just a strange comment to make.
hippysmacker
8/29/10 5:58:13PM

well I doubt dana would have said that if kenny was at the post-fight press conference.

Right or wrong I don't think he should have said that. Kicking a guy when he's down is rarely cool. I think you hit it on the head. He might have been pissed at Florian for the no show.
TheGodfather1024
8/29/10 6:03:13PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Right or wrong I don't think he should have said that. Kicking a guy when he's down is rarely cool. I think you hit it on the head. He might have been pissed at Florian for the no show.

thats surprising that dana would say that about florian, especially since he has a good relationship with dana
tcunningham
8/29/10 8:16:10PM
is it really that surprising to hear something like that from dana? remember who your talking about.
MiniMan
8/29/10 10:16:31PM
When he said it live, It wasnt a harsh as it look in the thread title...

Someone asked him about whats next for kenny and he said something like 'Im not sure, I love kenny florian, But he seems to choke on the big fights, Tonight he just wasnt engaging bla bla bla" Dont take that word for word but it IS close!
fonduktoe
8/29/10 10:36:18PM
its not that outlandish of a statement. all of florians octagon losses were when something big was on the line. either a title, title shot, or winning the ultimate fighter contract. dana was just telling it like it is which is fine by me
prozacnation1978
8/29/10 11:22:05PM
For once with dana I gotta agree

Kenny had a bad gameplan. I was sick watching it
Got to the point I was cursing his name at the gardens

Take him down kenny!!!! Kenny can't deal with wrestlers
Violence108
8/30/10 5:47:40PM
kenny didnt choke against Gomi
Bloodhound
8/30/10 7:55:33PM

Posted by Violence108

kenny didnt choke against Gomi

Nothing was On The Line Like Stated Before (Title, Title Shot, TUF Contract)
kfighter10
9/4/10 11:43:11AM
Dana's known to give comments like that if he's pissed off with his fighters.