Dana White on Jon Jones not signing Gustafsson rematch agreement: 'He's asking to fight Cormier instead'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White on Jon Jones not signing Gustafsson rematch agreement: 'He's asking to fight Cormier instead'
FastKnockout
6/2/14 8:31:49PM
Dana White explains that Jon Jones wants to skip the rematch with Alexander Gustafsson and fight Daniel Cormier instead.

Link
FastKnockout
6/2/14 8:32:32PM
DrivenDavies15
6/2/14 9:01:26PM
Huh.
Don't really understand how he just changes his mind like that but I really think Gustafsson should get the next shot. Would not complain if it was Cormier though since I'm sure both fights will happen at some point
40ouncetpkid
6/2/14 9:02:38PM
Lol he dont want another ass whoopin! He wants to pick on the wrestler because he knows he could put a beating on Cormier!
Poor_Franklin
6/2/14 10:03:36PM
via @MMARoasted- "Jon Jones favorite game as a kid was "Duck Duck Gus"
prophecy033
6/2/14 11:03:10PM
I think Cormier may be the tougher fight honestly. I really think Gustafsson deserves the next shot but I also wanna see Jones v Cormier. Whoever he ends up fighting....just sign the contract and lets get on with it.
bjj1605
6/2/14 11:24:40PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

via @MMARoasted- "Jon Jones favorite game as a kid was "Duck Duck Gus"

No better way to say it. Props.
jae_1833
6/2/14 11:25:24PM
I get what he is trying to do now...He is trying to beat each LHW once so that he can say he cleaned out the division and got on the HW Div. I respect that of course but like all of us I think he has some unfinished business with Gus. I really think the only possible loser in this situation is Gus and the UFC has never been one to shy away from screwing a contender by making him wait it out. If I were Gus and I didn't get the title fight I would take a fight just to stay busy...maybe against Anthony Johnson.
JoeWarren33
6/2/14 11:36:10PM

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Lol he dont want another ass whoopin! He wants to pick on the wrestler because he knows he could put a beating on Cormier!

I usually agree with you on your posts, but this one you are way out in left field! Daniel is a better matchup then a rematch with Gustafsson. I think Daniel will win if he fights Jones.
40ouncetpkid
6/3/14 12:04:58AM

Posted by JoeWarren33

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

I usually agree with you on your posts, but this one you are way out in left field! Daniel is a better matchup then a rematch with Gustafsson. I think Daniel will win if he fights Jones.

I just cannot get sold on Cormier. I really want him to fight Rumble because Phil Davis couldn't even get ahold of rumble. Whereas Cormier deserves a shot because he beat somebody who might not even be a top 30 LHW in his divion debut, and then out muscled old man Hendo who hasn't used wrestling in years, and is pretty much shot?

He was good at heavyweight because he was fast. Now he's one of the strongest at LHW but he hasn't beaten anybody worthy enough to leap frog Gus.

Not to mention Jones is so much faster, crafty and athletic. He's a much diverse striker and has always dominated wrestlers. I got Jones winning a hard fought UD, while I think Gus will whoop him in the rematch.
JoeWarren33
6/3/14 12:16:11AM

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Posted by JoeWarren33

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

I just cannot get sold on Cormier. I really want him to fight Rumble because Phil Davis couldn't even get ahold of rumble. Whereas Cormier deserves a shot because he beat somebody who might not even be a top 30 LHW in his divion debut, and then out muscled old man Hendo who hasn't used wrestling in years, and is pretty much shot?

He was good at heavyweight because he was fast. Now he's one of the strongest at LHW but he hasn't beaten anybody worthy enough to leap frog Gus.

Not to mention Jones is so much faster, crafty and athletic. He's a much diverse striker and has always dominated wrestlers. I got Jones winning a hard fought UD, while I think Gus will whoop him in the rematch.

Gustafsson just beat Manuwa, I still think an old Hendo is better then Manuwa.
Cormier who just man handled Hendo and subbed him, he has no chance cause Hendo is old? Didnt't Hendo just before that KO Shogun? Yes neither of those guys are in their prime, but who is Manuwa? really. More hype in my opinion and big up by other web sites.
Manuwa best beat is who Ryan Jimmo?

Looking through Cormier's record it is pretty impressive for a 15-0 fighter, he also was Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix champion as well, as well as a top contender in wrestling throughout his high school and university career, as well as the Olympics where he placed 4th.

15 of his wins are not over scrubs but some serious talent:
Bigfoot, Mir, Soa Palelei, Josh Barnett, Roy Nelson, Hendo.

He has the drive and passion to beat Jones with the talent he carries. Do not sleep on him.
airkerma
6/3/14 6:58:36AM
This is starting to get ridiculous.
IWantMyUFC
6/3/14 8:52:13AM
Jon Jones is the most active champion. I am sure there is a maximum time layoff that must be observed between fights or you are stripped of title. If he is going ahead of the timeline to provide entertainment for us fans or pad his wallet/reputation then I could understand some measure of choice. Since the outrage is so great I would advise any champ to stick to fighting once a year or whatever it is against the #1, #2 or whomever the UFC deems fit. I personally would salivate more for the fight as the anticipation would be higher. I would advise him to fight on schedule against all comers because the long term risk is not appreciated. Remember the UFC is going to run the cash cow in the ground till it breaks with no afterthought.
If a champ fights only when required I would hope the champ attempts to finish the fight making whoever steps in the ring regret they sought a fight with the champ. If he remains more active then do the following: Reserve the three months before your mandatory fight time to prepare for and fight whomever the organization deems fit NO EXCEPTIONS/ALL COMERS. If the champ schedules extra fights ahead of schedule then tell his naysayers I want to keep sharp and put the belt at risk while provide entertainment and I will have a say in who its against. Come my mandatory fight which is scheduled for "X month" #1 or #2 or whomever the organization chooses will be finished because I refuse to leave it to the judges if I can.
Personally it annoys me when fighters call out the champ while ranked #3 or lower as DC has done. IMO they should be going after #1 #2 in order be next in line. Now you can call out the champ with proper backing/credentials eliminating the conversation that you don't rate a shot. It seems now the fans, he fights for along with his legacy and money, are now overly critical or ingrates. He had no control over the previous's judges decision. His agreeing to fight more often puts himself at great risk for concussions, even Dan Marino is suing now.
BillsNewAccount
6/3/14 10:09:40AM

Posted by JoeWarren33

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Yup, it's like DC said. He's only getting better. Best fight him before he improves anymore. Can't wait to see JJ on his back. WAR DC!!!!!

I'm not saying JJ isn't ducking Gus but I think DC is the harder fight. JJ just doesn't know it yet.
submissionartist1
6/3/14 11:37:39AM
It should be hands down Gus he has a contract signed already for jones plus heI beat that ass. then D.C. gets jones regardless.
machodog76
6/3/14 1:28:47PM
DC is 15-0, has never lost a round and just rag dolled Hendo (something I don't think anyone has ever done). I say give him the shot I'm sick of constant rematches I think fighters should need at least 2 or 3 wins before getting another shot at the belt. I think DC destroys Jones as well.
tattflash
6/3/14 3:56:27PM
I have to agree with those who think DC has a better chance of beating Jones than Gus. He has all the tools to put a beating on Jones and is the harder fight for the champion in my opinion
pmoney
6/3/14 5:25:23PM
DC and Gus are both tough fights for Jones. In my opinion though, Gus already did beat Jones, and fairly handily.

Jones can't physically do to Gustafsson what he does to everyone else. He doesn't have the same reach or leverage advantage, which is where his wrestling & grappling success stems from. Gustafsson arguably has better orthodox boxing, and Jones only landed one of his wild spinning elbows in round four. And he wasn't close to finishing the fight, which he should have needed if the judges were worth a shit that night. If I recall, Gus also out wrestled Jones in that fight, in both successful takedowns and TDD.

In the case of DC though, Jones will have that size advantage. A massive advantage. That's what allows him to work his trips, throw elbows like punches, front kicks, etc. However, we've seen DC do to Barnett what he did to Hendo, which was toss him in the air like a child. Barnett is like Jones height +50 lbs. But that may be the only area Cormier holds an advantage. I'm not putting money on either dude in that fight.

I think Jones sees Cormier as the more winnable fight, which is why he is trying to get out of fighting The Mauler.
KungFuMaster
6/4/14 4:29:17PM
I'm appalled after everything Jones has done - he still has fans.