Dana White on The Jim Rome Show

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana White on The Jim Rome Show
prophecy033
9/13/12 1:24:13PM
I'm on my phone and can't post a link. If someone has time could you post a link

Anyway, Dana said some interesting stuff

- Jones said he felt like a "piece of meat". Dana said "we bought that guy a Bentley but he says we treat him like a piece of meat"

- He was talking about the Silva vs Bonnar fight and said "the fans think this fight doesn't make sense....it absolutely DOESN'T make sense" at least he was honest

- Rome asked him if Jones ever called to ask Dana to stop Sonnen from talking smack and Dana said "no, he never called, not once"

- Aldo is still driving around the same motorcycle that he had when he was making $4,000 a fight even tho he has a few million in the bank

Again, sorry about no link guys.
airkerma
9/13/12 1:31:27PM

I think Rome is pretty damn funny most of the time, so I am always happy to see updates from the show. It definitely helps get the sport into the main stream, as his viewers (or perhaps just the callers) are in fact the "clones" he dubs them and can use some education on the subject. Did he mention if the interview would be on the tv show at all? I can actually tune into that later tonight.

I think it's awesome Dana flat out says it doesn't make sense for Bonnar and Silva to fight. At least he doesn't think the fans are REALLY stupid. As for Jones feeling like a piece of meat...try a boring 9-5 job, bonesy. You find out pretty fast that more often than not, if you're working for the man, at some point you'll feel used/made an example of/ asked to step up and fill in somewhere you shouldn't have to/or just plain insulted.
Chael_Sonnen
9/13/12 1:35:15PM
Did little JJ say "a piece of meat?"

Two words junior - - -
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
prophecy033
9/13/12 1:46:13PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Did little JJ say "a piece of meat?"

Two words junior - - -

pmoney
9/13/12 2:56:43PM
Jim Rome is the man. He has been covering the UFC/MMA for some time now. When MMA Live was still internet only, Rome was interviewing fighters on his ESPN TV show. Tony Reali from Around The Horn has been known to mix in some UFC recaps on their Monday shows as well.
Adrenaline
9/13/12 5:33:58PM

Posted by pmoney

Jim Rome is the man. He has been covering the UFC/MMA for some time now. When MMA Live was still internet only, Rome was interviewing fighters on his ESPN TV show. Tony Reali from Around The Horn has been known to mix in some UFC recaps on their Monday shows as well.

Rome has always been hit or miss for me so I can't say that I have ever really followed him but didn't he used to make anti MMA comments back in the day? I recall him being negative and it seemed like he jumped on the MMA bandwagon after it started taking off. Either way you are right, he was giving the sport air time back when others didn't even mention it, so even bad press is good press.

Am I just remembering this incorrectly? Either way I don't mind him now.

george112
9/13/12 6:37:07PM
Use to tune in to his radio show, very entertaining to listen to
pmoney
9/13/12 6:38:02PM

Posted by Adrenaline

Rome has always been hit or miss for me so I can't say that I have ever really followed him but didn't he used to make anti MMA comments back in the day? I recall him being negative and it seemed like he jumped on the MMA bandwagon after it started taking off. Either way you are right, he was giving the sport air time back when others didn't even mention it, so even bad press is good press.

To be honest Adrenaline, Rome has been pro MMA since I was introduced to him. But I don't think I started watching his show until anytime between 2005-2008. I know he has been around on the radio a lot longer than that, but I didn't even catch on to that until about 2010.... so you could be right about prior anti-MMA leanings...
prophecy033
9/13/12 6:56:12PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Adrenaline

To be honest Adrenaline, Rome has been pro MMA since I was introduced to him. But I don't think I started watching his show until anytime between 2005-2008. I know he has been around on the radio a lot longer than that, but I didn't even catch on to that until about 2010.... so you could be right about prior anti-MMA leanings...

Rome's been pro MMA since I can remember
warglory
9/13/12 8:09:17PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Adrenaline

Rome's been pro MMA since I can remember

No, Jim Rome used to be critical of the sport. He used to question it's legitimacy as a sport awhile back. I can't seem to find any videos on youtube, but there used to be some kicking around.
ncordless
9/13/12 9:06:01PM
I can remember him dissing mma back in the day, but that's been years now. You have to remember, the MMA that people were exposed to a decade ago was kind of a joke. Poorly run, cheesy production stuff, and 5-6 year-old videos at Blockbuster Video. Even early Zuffa era was pretty bad. People were pretty uneducated about the sport generally. Hell, a majority of people thought Royce was gonna choke Matt Hughes . . . in 2006!
Gogoplatapus
9/13/12 10:54:20PM
I remember Rome when he didn't 'get MMA'. But the wrath of the anti-MMA clones far exceeded Romes lack of interest.

I don't think he ever hated it.
prophecy033
9/14/12 11:27:58AM
The Clones are retarded when it comes to MMA. They still have the same shitty Outlook as people did 10-15 years ago. Uneducated to say the least