Dana White invites Satoshi Ishii to UFC 92

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White invites Satoshi Ishii to UFC 92
Focker101
12/19/08 12:19:02PM
Nikkansports reported that Dana White responded to Satoshi Ishii on December 19.

LINK
McBee
12/19/08 3:20:44PM

Posted by Focker101

Nikkansports reported that Dana White responded to Satoshi Ishii on December 19.

LINK

The link works but I cannot see anything in it about Ishii wanting to be in the UFC or Dana saying he is interested it just has the Dream guy saying he is disappointed that he chose to "challenge the UFC"
jiujitsufreak74
12/19/08 4:51:46PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by Focker101

LINK

The link works but I cannot see anything in it about Ishii wanting to be in the UFC or Dana saying he is interested it just has the Dream guy saying he is disappointed that he chose to "challenge the UFC"

try this one: LINK

Just two days after Satoshi Ishii made it clear his interest in fighting for the UFC, UFC president Dana White has extended his hand to the 2008 Olympic judo gold medalist.

According to a report on Nikkan Sports, White released a statement today through WOWOW, which televises UFC events in Japan, saying that Ishii has the potential to become a great mixed martial arts fighter. White applauded Ishii's decision to fight in the UFC and invited the judoka to Las Vegas to watch UFC 92 "The Ultimate 2008" on Dec. 27, to which Ishii has accepted.

Ishii said on Wednesday that he wants to fight for the UFC instead of DREAM and plans to go in March to train with the American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Florida for his mixed martial arts debut sometime late 2009.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have extraordinary respect Ishii as a competitor for his decision to come fight the best, but it is a little disheartening to know that Dream could have had him and added another solid fighter to their roster. hopefully Ishii's MMA venture will be better than Bu Kyung Jung
Wolfenstein
12/19/08 5:16:23PM
I think Satoshi is making a big mistake turning down the 500 million yen offer (roughly a 5 million dollar contract) to fight in the UFC. Not just because of the money, but I'm not sure he's going to be successful in the UFC. Unless he is somehow able to drop divisions (which is highly unlikely) he's going to struggle. He's 5'11 and 240lbs. I'm sure he can take down a lot of guys, but when he faces a good striker with decent TD defense he's in for a nightmare.

He'd be better off making a bunch of money in Japan and receiving favorable matchups he can win. At least until he's had a little more time in MMA.
McBee
12/19/08 5:22:16PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I think Satoshi is making a big mistake turning down the 500 million yen offer (roughly a 5 million dollar contract) to fight in the UFC. Not just because of the money, but I'm not sure he's going to be successful in the UFC. Unless he is somehow able to drop divisions (which is highly unlikely) he's going to struggle. He's 5'11 and 240lbs. I'm sure he can take down a lot of guys, but when he faces a good striker with decent TD defense he's in for a nightmare.

He'd be better off making a bunch of money in Japan and receiving favorable matchups he can win. At least until he's had a little more time in MMA.

so Dream offered him 500 million yen?
you are definitely right he should have taken he money and the experience
warglory
12/19/08 5:48:18PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

He is heading to Florida to train with ATT, I can't think of any fighter from Asia who has ever taken that initiative for an American debut.

Yes, he may be sacrificing money in the short term, but jumping into the heavyweight fray of the biggest MMA promotion in the world while it's being rebuilt is not a half bad decision really. Is it a risk? Absolutely, but he wants to make a name for himself internationally, not just in Asia where virtually every single of his counterparts have been isolated save for a few stand outs who have managed to win a few on American shows. He is obviously pissing off his countrymen, which can realistically only mean that he really wants to break the mold and become a complete fighter, not just a really good judoka.

To make a short story long, I commend Ishii's decision and I am glad Dana is so open to the idea!
McBee
12/19/08 6:12:08PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Wolfenstein

He is heading to Florida to train with ATT, I can't think of any fighter from Asia who has ever taken that initiative for an American debut.

Yes, he may be sacrificing money in the short term, but jumping into the heavyweight fray of the biggest MMA promotion in the world while it's being rebuilt is not a half bad decision really. Is it a risk? Absolutely, but he wants to make a name for himself internationally, not just in Asia where virtually every single of his counterparts have been isolated save for a few stand outs who have managed to win a few on American shows. He is obviously pissing off his countrymen, which can realistically only mean that he really wants to break the mold and become a complete fighter, not just a really good judoka.

To make a short story long, I commend Ishii's decision and I am glad Dana is so open to the idea!

how much does he weigh and do you think he will end up in the Heavy weight division? It is just hard for me to see a Japanese guy in Heavy weight, I can only think of Fujita and Yoshida but it seems like they could have cut to LHW
jiujitsufreak74
12/19/08 6:23:12PM
well Ishii is still so young (turns 22 today) so he has plenty of time to develop an all around game. but i agree with the others who said he should have taken the money as he built himself up talent wise. but again, i respect his decision and warrior spirit.

just for reference, he has competed at -100kg (220lbs) in Judo, albeit in 2006. he has a simialr build to Fujita, so i can see him staying at HW.