Dana White's interview on mmaweeklyradio.com today 2/19/07

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana White's interview on mmaweeklyradio.com today 2/19/07
Playground_Samurai
2/20/07 12:33:03AM
Dana did a very interesting and informative interview on mmaweeklyradio.com today. You have to be a member to listen now if you missed it live.

For those of you that will not be signing up, here are some of the things Dana talked about.

Talked some smack about Frank Shamrock. Cleary voiced his hatred of him. Says "he hopes he fights someone that knocks his head clean off his shoulders".

Confirmed CC's next opponent will be Gabriel Gonzaga.

Said "CC will get the winner of Sylvia/Couture".

Said that he's "been told that CC can not cut down to 205".

Said that "Chuck says he'll move up to HW to fight CC". Said that "Chuck wants to fight everybody". I personally hope to God that happens. Very intriguing.

Said that both Rampage and Chuck will each have one more fight before the face each other, but did not name their opponents. He did say it would not be Keith Jardine. He said he didn't wanna throw any of the TUF guys in there to early, so i'm assuming it will not be Rashad either.

When asked about acquiring Wanderlei, he said "I'm still working on it". Said "he's been working on getting Wanderlei longer than anybody else" and "it's a sin that we have not got to see him and Chuck fight yet". What I got from the conversation was that he's trying to get Wandy for Chucks next fight, but it was never actually said.

When asked about the HBO deal and Rogan and Goldberg commentating, he said that's the kind of things slowing them down right now and that's the kind of details they're working on right now.

Says he and Tito's boxing match is scheduled for April 24th and it will likely be on the internet, not on cable tv. Didn't confirm Tito/Forrest 2 at 70. Said "there's lots of fights for Tito out there". I agree. He did mention Jardine and Rashads names.

When asked about Rashad and Jardine saying they would never fight each other, he said anybody will fight anybody for the right price.

He confirmed that Marquardt would be Silvas next opponent.

Said he's "definatly interested in buying pride if they're for sale". Also said if he did aquire pride he would "continue to run it as a seperate orginization".

Pretty good interview. I didn't include everything. You're thoughts?
OB_Juan
2/20/07 12:53:31AM
Didn't he also say Baroni will be back if he clobbers Frank?
Playground_Samurai
2/20/07 1:02:19AM

Posted by OB_Juan

Yes. The interviewer said Baroni had been saying that Dana told him he would get a UFC title shot if he beat Frank. Dana said he and Phil are great friends but he never told him he'd get a title shot for beating Frank, but he would definatly be willing to bring him back into the UFC.
OB_Juan
2/20/07 1:12:21AM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by OB_Juan

Yes. The interviewer said Baroni had been saying that Dana told him he would get a UFC title shot if he beat Frank. Dana said he and Phil are great friends but he never told him he'd get a title shot for beating Frank, but he would definatly be willing to bring him back into the UFC.

Sweetness. I've been wanting me some Baroni back in the UFC for a while now. he doesn't need a title shot anytime soon regardless. He's gonna need a couple good wins to polish up from the losses to Misaki and Minowa2. besides, the UFC's MW div is so stacked w/ contenders already.

I'd LOVE to see Baroni and Leben settle their little squabble. Baroni vs Martin or Smith or Kampmann would all be good too. There's a ton of great match ups for him there.

WAR NYBA!!!!!
aceprone
2/20/07 2:10:02AM
I hope to the Heavens he is able to get Wandy! It is a sin that this fight has never happened! A SIN!
hippysmacker
2/20/07 2:13:03AM
Dude ,props for that. thanks for bringing the highlight's to us. If I would have known he was on tonight I would have listened live. What I can't figure out is, who's Chuck's next opponent if not Wandy? He said No Rampage,(NO Rashad, Jardine,Bisping -all TUFers) . Obviously Tito, and Babalu have recently been dropped by him, so they're out. Randy wouldn't seem to make sense for the same reason. Machida? not enough buildup or pedigree IMO. Sounds like it will be Wandy or someone from else from outside the UFC. I hope to god it's Wandy.
OB_Juan
2/20/07 2:17:06AM
The impression I got from somebody else was that Chuck's next opponent was an "outsider". Wand or another pride fighter are the only ones that could even conceivably be considered for an automatic title shot. Maybe we will know more after this weekend and Wand gets Hendo out of the way.
hippysmacker
2/20/07 2:41:40AM

Posted by OB_Juan

The impression I got from somebody else was that Chuck's next opponent was an "outsider". Wand or another pride fighter are the only ones that could even conceivably be considered for an automatic title shot. Maybe we will know more after this weekend and Wand gets Hendo out of the way.

This actually really makes me want to pull for Hendo. More likely he leaves and let's Shogun go after that belt, and he can challenge Chuck for the UFC's. I know little Nog has got to getting sick of not getting a title shot, he's the only other outsider I could see leaving Pride that would be worthy of an immediate title shot. Shogun is Pride's future , so I don't see them letting him go.
Playground_Samurai
2/20/07 2:59:42AM
http://rapidshare.com/files/17344173/Dana_White_on_MMAweekly_Radio.mp3

Found a link to download the interview for free. Enjoy.
Svartorm
2/20/07 3:08:57AM
Is there an older fighting in that weight class that could potentially make a comeback? A comeback fight, like Gracie vs. Hughes, would be instantly marketable, and would make the most sense as no one would have to defect from another org. The only guys Chuck has history with that are still active and outside the UFC would be Vitor, Randleman or Mezger.

Randleman and Mezger are in no shape to fight anymore and Vitor isn't cleared to fight in the US after failing his drug test though. Anyone I'm not thinking of?
loller90278
2/20/07 3:17:11AM
JEREMY HORN!!!

hehe would love to see that again
hippysmacker
2/20/07 3:20:31AM

Posted by Svartorm

Is there an older fighting in that weight class that could potentially make a comeback? A comeback fight, like Gracie vs. Hughes, would be instantly marketable, and would make the most sense as no one would have to defect from another org. The only guys Chuck has history with that are still active and outside the UFC would be Vitor, Randleman or Mezger.

Randleman and Mezger are in no shape to fight anymore and Vitor isn't cleared to fight in the US after failing his drug test though. Anyone I'm not thinking of?

Besides Vitor being suspended he is sceduled to fight Marvin Eastman again in cage rage soon. So I see no other options besides the ones that have been mentioned............Except BAS. that would be entertaining, but I think he's retired.
Svartorm
2/20/07 3:20:57AM
Yeah, I guess they could go the Rubber Match angle, even though the last fight was a complete beatdown. At least it was fun to watch. I though I saw Horn had a fight coming up in IFL though.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/20/07 3:34:12AM

Great Info...thanks! Props

SteedTheDeed
2/20/07 5:46:12PM
if he did keep them seperate, that would be so sick. we could have inter-promotional matches at anytime. i actually hope it happens.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/20/07 6:05:59PM

what can be Chucks warm up fight then?

there is no one left that deserves a title shot in the UFC...and the only other person that can have a quick titleshot would be Wandy...

they're not gonna let any other import have a quick title shot no matter who it is...besides Wandy
hippysmacker
2/21/07 4:35:13AM
Has to be Wandy unless this is a negotiating ploy with Rampage to get him to resign now
MrGreeny
2/21/07 10:40:04AM
Great, great, great interview
A lot of useful info...
The thing i found very disturbing was the talk about [b]Brandon Vera[/b].. I think he is 1-3 fights away from starting 'sell fights'
Would be very stupid of him to leave UFC for an organisation, that gives him more money [u]at the moment.[/u].. I
m hoping to God too that the Chuck fights happen...
Daamn it will be good to have the NY BadAss back... Hope he smashes the head of Shamrock somewhere so Dana could adopt Phill