Dana White: "I Hope I'm Alive To See MMA In The Olympics"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: "I Hope I'm Alive To See MMA In The Olympics"
DCRage
8/19/08 6:44:56AM
Despite sounding a bit pessimistic about the prospects of it actually happening, UFC President Dana White is still among those who would like to see MMA become an Olympic sport in our lifetime.

Article
dannyfrank
8/19/08 8:12:35AM
i would like to see mma to be an olympic sport. if ping pong is an olympic sport than why not mma? but, i fear that they might implement the same scoring system that they have for the olympic boxing, where i saw some people get ROBBED. i jus hope that they can make it fair
4u2nv
8/19/08 9:02:36AM
i can't see MMA getting into the Olympics anytime soon. It could be a X-game type thing first but that's about it. And if it did they'd make u wear head gear, 16 ounce gloves, shin, knee and elbow pads. As well as cup, mouth piece and have 3 Refs in the cage with u. It'll be lame.
stock
8/19/08 9:50:09AM
I hope MMA NEVER makes it to the Olympics.
They will ruin it just like they ruin everything else.
bojangalz
8/19/08 10:14:21AM

Immediately followed up by "As long as it's a fighter not under UFC contract, cause that schedule would really f*ck things up for us. But we'll be more then happy to buy a gold medalist when it's all said and done."
bigbubbano23
8/19/08 10:58:15AM
idk if i would want to see mma in the olympics. i mean it prolly would be lame as mentioned above with the use of to much protection. And i also think were are kinda jumpin the gun way to early, i mean it's still a realativly small sport. besides brazil and china would win anyways.
nastshabast
8/19/08 11:39:52AM

Posted by dannyfrank

i would like to see mma to be an olympic sport. if ping pong is an olympic sport than why not mma? but, i fear that they might implement the same scoring system that they have for the olympic boxing, where i saw some people get ROBBED. i jus hope that they can make it fair

Ya that point system has some major flaws. They should just use normal judges. I watch a fight between a Irish and a Dominican I think and it ended up tied but clearly the Dominican should have won by like 5 plus.

It's almost like a board game they way they score. "If two of you hit the button at the same time, it's a point. If one of you is slower, well too bad, no point."

Can you imagine if MMA used this. Talk about controversy!!
clintjack
8/19/08 11:52:07AM
How does the Olympics ruin everything else? I guess your not a real sports fan.
stock
8/19/08 1:21:50PM

Posted by clintjack

On the contrary. I am huge sports fan, and that is why I hate the olympics.

A few examples:

Boxing: read posts above. The ridiculous system where it makes no difference whatsoever how much damage is caused or how many big punches are landed. Also, it has to be perfectly clean or else the punches don't matter. 3 of 5 judges need to push the button within a point of eachother to get credit for a punch. You can nearly knock a guy on his ass by landing a huge punch, but it may not get counted since it was through the gloves. Olympic boxing is a joke.

Gymnastics: Besides the fact that the scoring is completely subjective and there are no defined rules for scoring, they have a messed up tie breaking system that nobody can seem to decode. That is why Nastia took the silver in the high bars.

Baseball: They have crazy extra inning rules like starting innings with 2 men on base and allowing any person to come to bat that the team chooses. Who makes these goofy rules? I absolutely love baseball and am thrilled it will no longer be in the Olympics.

I just wish international sporting events would just be left to the various leages to put together (ie... tennis, FIFA, Baseball, etc....). They are just much better entertainment.

Obviously, this is all just my opinion, but this is why I do not want MMA in the Olympics. Reputable figting organizations will not be making the rules. It will be done by some beaurocratic Olympic committee, and probably would not even fit the definition of MMA once they would be done with the rules.
TWITA
8/19/08 1:59:52PM

Posted by bojangalz

Immediately followed up by "As long as it's a fighter not under UFC contract, cause that schedule would really f*ck things up for us. But we'll be more then happy to buy a gold medalist when it's all said and done."

U Da Man!
dannyfrank
8/19/08 3:22:12PM

Posted by stock

Posted by clintjack

On the contrary. I am huge sports fan, and that is why I hate the olympics.

im not a huge olympic fan either, but its not because they ruin sports. its because now all countries care about is winning golds. it seems like there is no sportsmanship anymore and people have really forgotten why we do the olympics
loffspring
8/19/08 4:01:37PM

Posted by bojangalz

Exactly what I was thinking, he would never let a UFC fighter compete.
dust
8/20/08 11:59:49AM
MMA in the Olympics would be a joke. They don't even have submission grappling in the Olympics yet.
Rush
8/20/08 2:26:54PM
I love the Olympics and I love MMA, but I love it even more that they are not together.

mrlfromhell
8/20/08 2:50:46PM
China?
mrlfromhell
8/20/08 2:53:18PM

Posted by bigbubbano23

idk if i would want to see mma in the olympics. i mean it prolly would be lame as mentioned above with the use of to much protection. And i also think were are kinda jumpin the gun way to early, i mean it's still a realativly small sport. besides brazil and china would win anyways.

China?
mrsmiley
8/20/08 3:19:11PM
MMA in the Olympics

1.Fighters would probably have to wear head gear
2.They would probably have to wear shin guards.
3.Open handed strikes only.
4.No strikes to the head while on the ground.

Just my opinion,but I could see those changes being put in place.If anything it would look more like Prancrase in my opinion.
dust
8/24/08 2:45:57PM
Not to mention the ridiculous scoring system that would inevitably be developed. They've already ruined amateur boxing.