Dana White (Again) Hints At Network TV Deal In 2011

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White (Again) Hints At Network TV Deal In 2011
DCRage
10/26/10 9:11:45AM
Although previously saying the "right deal" has never been presented to make the organization bite, Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White apparently has made some progress with U.S. network television. Ideally, a network-TV deal will accompany a UFC network similar to those offered by the NFL and MLB. And according to a recent interview with BroadcastingCable.com, the UFC may have a few options for network-TV partners. White was asked if the UFC – which currently broadcasts on pay-per-view, Spike TV and Versus – will be on network TV in 2011. "Yes, we will," he told the trade media outlet. "We are working on some things right now. I just can't talk about it at all because we are right in the middle of it." White dodged specifics about the possibility of airing on NBC or FOX, but he admitted that the outlets theoretically make sense. Recently, White has hinted at a "UFC network" that will debut in the next couple years. However, it's hard to tell if that's the same venture he discusses earlier this year that would bring the UFC to a worldwide online audience. "As technology keeps growing, what I believe is going to happen – and I better be right, or we're [expletive] – is all the world is eventually going to be watching television through the Internet." It also should be noted White promised UFC would already be on network TV in the past...but they weren't by his "guaranteed" date of September 15.

Article
ncordless
10/26/10 11:15:49AM
Huh, Dana has cried wolf so many times that I don't care. If it happens, that would be awesome. But I won't hold my breath.
gartface
10/26/10 12:27:33PM

Posted by ncordless

Huh, Dana has cried wolf so many times that I don't care. If it happens, that would be awesome. But I won't hold my breath.

Agreed. I also think that they'll be hard pressed to find a network that will give them the complete control over the production.
emfleek
10/26/10 12:30:04PM

Posted by gartface

Agreed. I also think that they'll be hard pressed to find a network that will give them the complete control over the production.

I don't know. Giving Zuffa complete production control means the network doesn't have to spend their own money on production costs.
gartface
10/26/10 12:34:34PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by gartface

I don't know. Giving Zuffa complete production control means the network doesn't have to spend their own money on production costs.

Hasn't that been what's tied it up in the past though?
emfleek
10/26/10 12:52:59PM

Posted by gartface

I believe it was one of the reasons it was tied up. I'm just not so sure that's the main reason. I could be wrong, though.
gartface
10/26/10 12:54:05PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by gartface

I believe it was one of the reasons it was tied up. I'm just not so sure that's the main reason. I could be wrong, though.

Well...here's to it happening whatever it may be.

I'm wondering the format though. Shorter, more frequent cards?
emfleek
10/26/10 1:07:53PM

Posted by gartface

I'm wondering the format though. Shorter, more frequent cards?

I'm guessing it will be something along the lines of what Strikeforce/CBS have. Or even Versus/UFC. A non-PPV-worthy card every 3-4 months. Maybe some Unleashed episodes.