Dana White Hints Mayhem Miller Might Get Cut Following TUF 14 Finale Loss to Michael Bisping

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Hints Mayhem Miller Might Get Cut Following TUF 14 Finale Loss to Michael Bisping
Next Page »
FastKnockout
12/4/11 1:59:13PM
Dana White is definitely not impressed with the former host of MTV's Bully Beatdown. The UFC president says that the TUF 14 Finale main event bout between Jason Miller and Michael Bisping on last night was one of the most one-sided bouts he's ever seen.

He even hinted that Mayhem might get cut following that performance. He spoke to Heavy's Megan Olivi about it shortly after the show ended (transcription by MMA Mania):

"It's one of the most lopsided fights I've ever seen. I'm disagreeing with people. I didn't give 'Mayhem' Miller the first round. He had a quarter of a mount and didn't do a thing and actually, Bisping was landing punches. I think Bisping landed more shots, did more damage. I go for damage and I think Bisping did more damage in the first round than Mayhem did. I don't know (if we'll see Mayhem back in the UFC). We'll see. He didn't have a good performance against Georges St. Pierre and he definitely didn't have a good performance against Michael Bisping."

LINK
mattjonesy
12/4/11 2:03:30PM
It was a terrible showing from Miller I must say. Maybe he deserves one more chance just because this loss might motivate him to get his head back in the game!
FastKnockout
12/4/11 2:05:48PM
1. It wasn't the most lopsided fight in UFC history. Dana is just being impulsive as usual. Makes me wonder if he actually watched the prelim fights because Bedfort's fight was nothing more then a sparring session for him.

2. According to FightMetric, in the first round Miller landed more strikes and had the takedown which gave him the nod in the round.

3. Give Miller another chance on the prelims. He hadn't fought since September 2010, he should be given the benefit of the doubt, especially considering guys like Bruce Leeroy are given extra chances coming off losses.
Twenty20Dollars
12/4/11 2:07:45PM
So if a guy has the mount and doesn't land anything, he doesn't win the round?

Dana is just being his usual sore-baby type self. It's annoying.

Bisping wasn't close to being as dominant as Bedford. I'm sure GSP has had more 1 sided fights.

EDIT: I'm not really trying to protect Mayhem, but just trying to pove that Dana takes too much emotion into his decisions, instead of logic.
RhythmAndStyle
12/4/11 2:23:45PM
wow!..are u guys serious..are u tryin to say that wasnt a lopsided match?..cuz to me it was..what do Miller do in that match?..nothing..yeah he took him down and landed a few, but Bisping beat him down..did whatever he wanted to do to Miller..i remember Bisping even turned Miller from turtle position to his back with just one hand, without even tryin hard..that was the worst performance i see from any fighter in a while..yeah he hasnt fought since 2010..but come on man..its the UFC, u only get a few chance, and he should known to come in the match with better cardio..just cuz he's fun to watch, who has he beat in the last few yrs???..NOBODY!..sorry to break ya'll balls..but Dana is correct here..u dont put a performance like that a expect to still be in the UFC, tbh...
FastKnockout
12/4/11 2:35:44PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

wow!..are u guys serious..are u tryin to say that wasnt a lopsided match?..cuz to me it was..what do Miller do in that match?..nothing..yeah he took him down and landed a few, but Bisping beat him down..did whatever he wanted to do to Miller..i remember Bisping even turned Miller from turtle position to his back with just one hand, without even tryin hard..that was the worst performance i see from any fighter in a while..yeah he hasnt fought since 2010..but come on man..its the UFC, u only get a few chance, and he should known to come in the match with better cardio..just cuz he's fun to watch, who has he beat in the last few yrs???..NOBODY!..sorry to break ya'll balls..but Dana is correct here..u dont put a performance like that a expect to still be in the UFC, tbh...

No one said that it WASN'T a lopsided match, because it was after the first round. But it wasn't THE most lopsided match in UFC history. As for Mayhem, yeah he gassed, but a lot of fighters do. It happens. But it's not like Mayhem gasses every fight. Go look at his last few before Bisping, he had a decent amount of cardio. I don't agree with what a lot of people are saying about this being Bisping's best performance to date. Yeah, he looked good, but Mayhem was gassed after the first round, and toward the end of the second it gave up blocking most of Bisping's strikes and kept his hands at his waist. Bisping looked so good because Mayhem looked so bad. There's a handful of matches on Bisping's record I consider better performances than his fight with Mayhem last night. As for the "come on man its the UFC you only get a few chances" that's a load of bull. The UFC is a combination of talent and entertainment, as long as fans want to see you, you will most likely be kept around like Ortiz, Hardy, Leeroy. I just don't like that the fans are giving Mayhem so much trash after one fight where he hadn't fought since Sept 2010. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt like other fighters who are on 2-3 fight losing streaks.
Sir_Karl
12/4/11 2:37:18PM
Dana is crazy. His impulsive comments are sometimes foolish. Mayhem won round 1 and then his gas tank was completely empty. He hung in there though and even put his hands down, waved "come on" and let Bisping hit him a few times. If Mayhem would not have run out of gas it would have been a much more competitive fight. I think they should put Mayhem against Cung Le. They are both coming off losses and it seems like the right match up for the both of them.
FlashyG
12/4/11 2:45:41PM
Someone already said it in the spoiler thread but basically Dana was embarassed the main event didn't turn out half as entertaining as the rest of the card.

That wasn't even the most one sided fight LAST NIGHT, let alone ever.

Miller clearly won the first round and either had an adrenaline dump or gassed.

The fact that he uses his fight against GSP as evidence that Miller doesn't belong is even funnier, that fight happened in another division almost 7 years ago.

Its like saying Anderson Silva doesn't belong in the UFC because he lost to Chonan in Pride.
machodog76
12/4/11 3:00:08PM
"It's one of the most lopsided fights I've ever seen." I know this is going way back but Fred Ettish comes to mind for me. Also BJ vs Diego. But mayhem looked like crap.
BigCountryFedor
12/4/11 3:13:41PM
If Dana does cut him it makes Bisping look bad as well, it makes his padded record look less impressive and shows youre protecting him from dangerous strikers or powerful wrestlers.

Bispings UFC wins...

Josh Haynes, cut from zuffa, 14-11
Eric Schafer, cut from zuffa twice, pink slip fight with rivera next, 12-6-2
Elvis Sinosic, cut from zuffa a few times, 7-11-2
Charles McCarthy, cut from zuffa at least once, 10-5
Jason Day, cut from zuffa, 19-12
Chris Leben, still employed, 22-8
Dennis Kang, cut from zuffa, 34-15-2
Dan Miller, close to being cut, 13-6
Yoshihiro Akiyama, close to being cut, 13-4
Jorge Rivera, loser leaves town fight with schafer next, 19-9
Jason Miller, rumors say me may be cut, 24-8
ChrisSabal
12/4/11 3:24:01PM
had a feeling this would happen
Bubbles
12/4/11 3:27:35PM
pretty sure Hunt vs Rothwell was far more 1 sided than Bisping/Miller. Dana needs to shut his mouth about the fights for at least 24 hours before talking to the media.
jae_1833
12/4/11 3:45:16PM
With his name, fame, and notoriety I really think that Miller deserves at least one more shot....In fact I think that sometimes these big name guys get cut too early in favor of new and less accomplished fighters even though the new ones don't live up to the hype either (Amir S!) There are a lot of matchups at MW that I would be interested in seeing Miller in: Maia, Boetsch, etc....give the guys a chance especially if they have paved the way for what we are in love with today.
kingsmasher
12/4/11 3:49:05PM
I love this site usually my opinion is right in line with others just like this fight...

It was a beatdown last night no pun intended....I just dont understand thgouh...How could Miller look so bad really? I guess filming Beatdown takes away a ton of training because I swear he just look uninterested...It was sad...Pathetic... Mean dam he didnt do anything in teh first Rd to warrant being so tired he looked like the bigger guy..

Dont discredit Bispings stand up is good but Miller was defintely as bad as you can be in a fight last night after Rd 1...I gavr the first to Miller pretty easy...Im sorry if a guys on to Im giving him the round most of the time...Unless its Guida on say Kenny Florian...

That was an embarrassment thouhg and really Miller just collected a check...
bjj1605
12/4/11 3:58:50PM
This is a really dumb comment. There are literally HUNDREDS of fights that were more one sided than this one. Miller DEFINITELY won the first round. He just gassed from the adrenaline dump and looked like crap after that.

I will be pretty pissed if he does get cut. I think he's a fun and exciting fighter and I like his personality for the sport as well.

The one thing I will say is that he needs a boxing coach. I've never thought his stand-up was that bad before, but it looked terrible in this fight. And I don't just mean in comparison to bisping. His jab was one of the strangest things I've ever seen.
SmileR
12/4/11 4:04:31PM
People are letting their hate for Bisping get in the way of their judging. Miller gassed because Bisping pushed him and landed good shots to the mid section. Using example such as he doesn't usually gas just proves this. Bisping made Miller pay for almost every shot he threw an stayed active when on the ground. Granted Miller took the first for octagon control but he did very little with it.

In the second round Bisping landed something like 10 significant shots to every one of Millers as well as stuffing all of his takedowns.
The third Miller landed a total of 4 shots! Bisping landed 69 of the 98 he threw as well as getting a takedown and controlling every position in the round.

Dana isn't that wrong saying it was one of the most lopsided fights he can remember. Theres maybe five or six I can think of that were more lopsided.
sparky
12/4/11 4:15:10PM
Regardless of Dana's comments Bisping absolutely destroyed Miller and to say he didnt is ridiculous!!!
Twenty20Dollars
12/4/11 4:36:29PM

Posted by Bubbles

pretty sure Hunt vs Rothwell was far more 1 sided than Bisping/Miller. Dana needs to shut his mouth about the fights for at least 24 hours before talking to the media.

Rothwell in that fight probably looked worse than Mayhem, yet I don't see him being cut.

If dana is going to be unfair, at least be unfair equally.

Dana was a baby after Cain/JDS b/c it didn't go how he wanted and the same thing here. He brought in Mayhem to coach and didn't do much, so of course he's going to whine about it.
roadking95th
12/4/11 5:25:50PM
Bisping is lucky Mayhem doesn't have a stand up game. This "death by a thousand punches" stuff isn't going to work agaiinst elite competion!

I say this sort of tongue in check and as a Mayhem fan.
tallica62
12/4/11 5:28:11PM
he did look like poo..but then again they both did
tcunningham
12/4/11 5:48:26PM
they both looked bad, but miller looked REALLY bad. i say give him one more chance but if he looks anything like he did against bisping he's done.
PABLOMAFIOSO
12/4/11 5:56:55PM
I was disapointed with how bad Miller looked in that fight. I am a Mayhem fan and want to see him fight again in the UFC but maybe against someone around the ranking of Belcher or Stann.
Regarding Dana's comments it was a one sided beating with the accidental headbutt doing the most damage to Bisping. Although cutting him after one loss is harsh IMO.
shaneTpain
12/4/11 6:54:00PM
Dana is an emotional mess
tn_rebel
12/4/11 8:21:11PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

I was disapointed with how bad Miller looked in that fight. I am a Mayhem fan and want to see him fight again in the UFC but maybe against someone around the ranking of Belcher or Stann.
Regarding Dana's comments it was a one sided beating with the accidental headbutt doing the most damage to Bisping. Although cutting him after one loss is harsh IMO.

He would lose against Belcher and Stann too. To be honest I seen this one coming. Mayhem hadn't fought in over a year and like it or not Bisping is one of the best at 185 (maybe because the rest of the division is that bad, but thats beside the point). Couldn't believe the majority of the Playground picked Mayhem in this one.
bjj1605
12/5/11 12:34:08AM

Posted by SmileR

Dana isn't that wrong saying it was one of the most lopsided fights he can remember. Theres maybe five or six I can think of that were more lopsided.

Thats nonsense.

People get knocked out in the first round all time. This fight went three.
GSPCanada
12/5/11 1:40:44AM
miller looked ok in the first round and won it, but the 2nd and 3rd were awful. he just did not look good, and i do agree that bisping pushed hi to gas, i've never seen bisping that tired at the end of a fight so u know he pushed the pace on miller. It just wasn't a good fight, Dana is pissed because this fight was hyped through tuf for months, all this "craziest season" the butting of heads the trash talk and to get that was extremely disappointing, but hey think jens pulver and bj or even dan hardy and gsp how that fight went through the primetime series. it sucks when fights get a lot of hype and then are lobsided, mayhem just didn't look like he belonged but i completely disagree with cutting him, guys like hardy are being given chances
jjeans
12/5/11 4:08:29AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by SmileR

Thats nonsense.

People get knocked out in the first round all time. This fight went three.

He got mount and did nothing with it, so much in fact Bisping wasn't getting "smashed in the face" like Millers being saying all season, he let Bisping have a conversation with the ref and still was able to escape. I'm not saying I scored that round to Bisping as I scored it to Miller but it's not a round whereby I thoughts can't see anyway Bisping won that round. Americans can talk trash about Bisping all they want, there are very few 185ers who would smash him. Munoz, Boetsch, Silva and Lombard are the few I don't see him putting up a half decent fight with even against Sonnen, Bisping has good BJJ and epileptic hips to make it interesting!

But going back to what you were saying about lopsided first round KOs... Is that really lopsided? Is Nate KOing Maia really that dominant or did he just catch him? Is Mark Hominick pin point accuracy hitting every pinch after the first one on George Roop dominant or is it just lucky that the first one hurt Roop that much? Ibis ping never rocked Miller, and I don't disagree when people say it wasn't the most one sided fight ever but Miller stepped into the cage and after 5 minutes it looked like Miller had no tools to win the fight.
mrsmiley
12/5/11 6:15:09AM
The way I saw it Mayhem won the first round and was even landing more.
The problem was,by the end of the first round Bisping got Miller's rhythm down and was countering all his lunging overhand shots.
What made this worse was Millers corner encouraged him to continue to throw those same shots between the round.
I'm not a fan but props to Bisping for the win.
cowcatcher
12/5/11 10:39:14AM
Dana's just having an over-reaction here. He expected a war between two guys that don't like each other, just like we did, and it didn't happen. What did happen was Mayhem showed that he has ZERO snap on his punches and terrible TD's, Bisping showed that he has about as much power as most middle of the road BW's, and both guys showed that the adrenaline dump is a real thing(or that they weren't well trained for the fight, but they're pros and you have to assume it's the former). Bisping dominated the fight, but no way was that the most one sided in UFC history. Mayhem should get another shot in the big show based solely on the fact that he has a fan base that the UFC built on TUF, not to mention the MTV2 viewers and MMA hardcores. Emotions ruined the main event IMO, it seemed like they got the best of both guys and just killed their cardio.
Kugel
12/5/11 10:56:06AM
He wasn't impressive against GSP? That is one of my favorite fights ever in the octagon. He hung with one of the most dominant UFC champions of all time. Dana White is just an asshole, who craps on guys he doesn't like for whatever reason. He doesn't even fight and judges guys on one performance.

And there are only 6 or 7 more lopsided fights? Now people are just being ignorant. I guess 1st round KOs and subs aren't lopsided because they end so fast. Really people?
Pages: [1] 2