Dana White hints that Kimbo Slice-Chuck Liddell UFC fight could be possible

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White hints that Kimbo Slice-Chuck Liddell UFC fight could be possible
Next Page »
nickcuc547
4/14/08 5:22:43PM
“If he [Kimbo] fought anybody that mattered, I would book [Chuck Liddell] tomorrow…. The fact is, Kimbo’s not there yet. He would get destroyed. I heard he just got knocked out by Forrest Griffin last week in a sparring match after a kick to the head.”

http://mmamania.com/2008/04/14/dana-white-hints-that-kimbo-slice-chuck-liddell-ufc-fight-could-be-possible/

chuck would own kimbo, the most overhyped fighter in the history of combat sports. imo james thompson is going to beat him.
silverbullet
4/14/08 5:46:48PM
JT will beast Kimbo
jakeiceman
4/14/08 5:51:20PM
I also think JT is gonna win, ateast I hope so. Liddell would paint the canvas red with this guy, no contest.
Mayhem13
4/14/08 6:01:01PM
Kimbo will KO thompson, because I think Thompson will stand and throw with him....

but I dont see a chuck fight anytime soon...so I wont even comment on that one
tuvok500
4/14/08 6:04:22PM
Go Dana !!

he Always have some nice words for his enemys !! lol

My style exactly !!

iwannabesedated
4/14/08 6:07:52PM
I liked Chucks' response as to why Kimbo bothers him.He's like lets make a HL Reel of me going around Ko'ing people on the street.I'd watch that.
punkgrl-com
4/14/08 6:11:58PM
Well unless I've missed something Kimbo would never be able to make 205 and I can't see why Chuck would move up just to fight Kimbo. A Chuck win would mean nothing for his record but a "lucky" loss would be devastating.

Then again having Chuck and Kimbo in the UFCs HW division would resurrect that weight class.
prozacnation1978
4/14/08 6:54:36PM
that would be cool if exelite spent all this money to make kimbo a name and the ufc winds up stealing him from them. this is a business, i think the ufc should steal other fighters from other organizations, there are alot of promotions but there is only one ufc,
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/14/08 7:17:12PM
this would be HUGE
mrsmiley
4/14/08 7:47:38PM
Liddell VS Kimbo would diffenently be interesting to see.I would have to go with Liddell,though I think Liddell might actualy show some respect for Kimbo and maybe even try for some takedowns,just to play it safe.

I don't think we would be seeing this fight anytime soon though.Even though Liddell would probably massacre Kimbo,their would be just too much to lose at this point if Kimbo was able to land a brutal knockout shot.By the time this fight would even be concevable,Liddell will be happily retired and sippy on budlights and collecting royality checks.
Sir_Karl
4/14/08 7:52:27PM
Thompson is going to be poorly trying to peel himself off the canvas 50 seconds into the fight...and I am no Kimbo fan.
One good punch by Kimbo and Thompson is seeing birds.
Throw Gonzaga or Kongo at him.
They would be perfect tests for Mr. Kevin Ferguson.
Aaronno9
4/14/08 8:17:15PM
To much to loose for the ice man in this fight for my liking. Hes a better fighter than kimbo period, im suprised one of the resident chuck haters hasnt already posted on this thread about how kimbos a better striker actually. But if chuck looses, hes going to look like an idiot and he'll get flamed for a hell of a long time about it by the keyboard warriors. If he wins, its just a win over sombody whos unproven at this point, albeit the guys alot bigger than chuck. Its the same as the fedor vs choi fight. Fedor had it all to loose and not much to gain. I cant see chuck moving to hw tbh, unless dana signs fedor, at which point i think dana would inevitably hook that fight up for chuck. Or nog runs out of competitors, at which point i think dana would set chuck up for that fight to.
wapttn
4/14/08 9:17:23PM
I think this could be a wise decision for the UFC. Publicly announce that the UFC is trying to set up a match between Kimbo and Liddell. One of three things could happen, liddell could knock the shit outta kimbo which would mean that gary shaw's golden ticket just got KOed by a washed up lhw. Kimbo could KO liddell, in which the ufc would say kimbo is a hw and liddell is a little over the hill. Or Shaw could dodge the fight and the UFC could call them out on it.

Either way, minimal risk for maximum gain right?
cmill21
4/14/08 10:00:28PM
I probably woulden't send my biggest star who's only dimension is the exact same as the other guys when the other guy is baisically a big bar room slugger. This gives Kimbo a punchers chance and with Kimbo thats all he needs, I'd send Nog who would submit him in minuets of not seconds.
Mackavelli
4/14/08 11:21:46PM
I know the original title say that the fight could be possible but its just an attention getter, from reading what dana white said the title should be possible match of lidell and kimo very unlikely unless kimbo starts beating up on good fighters and decided to sign with the ufc for less money than hes getting now. So thats basically any fighter out there.
MMAcca
4/15/08 12:56:51AM

Posted by Mayhem13

Kimbo will KO thompson, because I think Thompson will stand and throw with him....

My opinion exactly.

I think Thompson will show him little respect (like most people on here do) and will be hugging canvas as a result.....
Coloss
4/15/08 11:38:29AM
Thompson has no chance vs Kimbo simply because cuz Thompson likes toe 2 toe, but Kimbo is the better puncher. Chuck vs Kimbo would be interesting and unpredictable bout, but I doubt it may become possible soon.
emfleek
4/15/08 1:50:03PM
Didn't Kimbo just sign an extension with EliteXC?
silverbullet
4/15/08 3:16:23PM

Posted by Coloss

Thompson has no chance vs Kimbo simply because cuz Thompson likes toe 2 toe, but Kimbo is the better puncher. Chuck vs Kimbo would be interesting and unpredictable bout, but I doubt it may become possible soon.

Kimbo is a better puncher because he beat up on Tank Abbot or because he beat up on some big dude on Youtube?
keith-hackney1
4/15/08 3:24:30PM
Kimbo is real tough, He trained submissions with bas rutten who fought the best of the best like kevin randlemen, so tough that he fought gannon to an unofficial split decision draw in gym room ???
If you watch that fight again, you'll all see that kimbo clearly dominated gannon for the whole fight ??
yeh, so thats why i think kimbo will beat arguably the greatest LHW ufc champ of all time.. .. .. .. right ??
Pookie
4/15/08 3:33:07PM
Why does every kimbo thread turn into absolute garbage?
Coloss
4/15/08 4:59:51PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Coloss

Kimbo is a better puncher because he beat up on Tank Abbot or because he beat up on some big dude on Youtube?

No, Kimbo is the better puncher firstly because Thompson was knocked out easily enough times in the very first seconds (in eventual fight between them I'm sure that there is going to be a deja-vu). And secondary, Thompson needed to throw 90 punches (I counted them) to knock down an old guy like Don Fraye, that's why.
mictlantechutli
4/15/08 10:06:01PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Thompson is going to be poorly trying to peel himself off the canvas 50 seconds into the fight...and I am no Kimbo fan.
One good punch by Kimbo and Thompson is seeing birds.
Throw Gonzaga or Kongo at him.
They would be perfect tests for Mr. Kevin Ferguson.

Gonzaga would tap him out so fast it wouldn't even be fun to watch. Or would it...
ICSlegend
4/15/08 11:46:17PM
That's funny...Liddell is one of the most overrated fighters as well. Would the loser get the title of "most overrated"?

I guess I'm the only one that thinks Kimbo would knock Liddell's head clear off. Kimbo will have a huge weight and power advantage, not to mention he's technically already looking better then Chuck. And supposedly his ground is decent. Kimbo by sheer destruction. Kimbo hits way harder then Rampage and can take a ton of punishment, no way Liddell knocks him out. The way I see it, is Kimbo ruthless coming at Chuck, maybe taking one or two shots, before mauling Chuck into retirment. But call me crazy...
iwannabesedated
4/16/08 12:02:28AM

Posted by ICSlegend

That's funny...Liddell is one of the most overrated fighters as well. Would the loser get the title of "most overrated"?

I guess I'm the only one that thinks Kimbo would knock Liddell's head clear off. Kimbo will have a huge weight and power advantage, not to mention he's technically already looking better then Chuck. And supposedly his ground is decent. Kimbo by sheer destruction. Kimbo hits way harder then Rampage and can take a ton of punishment, no way Liddell knocks him out. The way I see it, is Kimbo ruthless coming at Chuck, maybe taking one or two shots, before mauling Chuck into retirment. But call me crazy...

Chuck Overrated...2 wins over Randy,2 wins over Tito,2 wins against Babalu,win against Wandy,Horn,But 2 losses to Rampage and loss to Jardine,Randy and Horn makes someone overrated..

Who the hell has Kimbo beat?? a 50yr old Tank Abbott.2 Joke fights with Mercer and Bo Cantrel...Oh wait he did beat that dreads dude on youtube i forgot ..

Chuck overrated NAH.Maybe at the end or close to the end of his prime..But overrated...
JimiMak
4/16/08 12:42:52AM
James in gonna gnp to finish, mid first rd.

Chuck isn't even in the same weight class so the sac wouldn't let it happen, but chuck would make him look retarded. As would AA GG CC Randy Werdum..... all the top HW's and most top LHW's.

Hopefully he keeps progressing and is on their level one day, but anyone who thinks he is now is fooling themselves.

James Thompson rd 1 (t)ko propels him to national stardom as well as putting kimbo in his place.
ICSlegend
4/16/08 6:18:49AM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Chuck Overrated...2 wins over Randy,2 wins over Tito,2 wins against Babalu,win against Wandy,Horn,But 2 losses to Rampage and loss to Jardine,Randy and Horn makes someone overrated..

Who the hell has Kimbo beat?? a 50yr old Tank Abbott.2 Joke fights with Mercer and Bo Cantrel...Oh wait he did beat that dreads dude on youtube i forgot ..

Chuck overrated NAH.Maybe at the end or close to the end of his prime..But overrated...

Well its easy to play devil's advocate on those - A mentally in form Randy kicked Chuck's ass. If you've ever been through a divorce you would know you can't fight 100% mentally. Not an excuse, Chuck won fair, but it wasn't against the best Randy (like the first fight). Not to mention Randy is better at HW. And I'm not even a big Couture fan. Tito was never that great, just isn't impressive beating him imo. Wandy win was FAR FROM CONCLUSIVE. Liddell looked good, but Wandy looked weird, awkward gameplan, and Chuck going for meaningless takedowns and then looking at the clock was just pathetic. What fighter looks at the clock!? Finish the damn fight! I thought it was close to a draw, 1-round each, with the last being even if takedowns don't count. And once again, far from the best Wandy that was in there. Babalu is an okay win, but who has he ever beaten besides a green Shogun?

Not to mention I think Vitor edged him, and Soleuv was a draw at least, with Bustamante definitely beating him. See where I'm going with all this? And even if YOU personally do not overrate Chuck, most of his fans do, especially those who think he would even stand at chance with Crocop or Fedor (remember that?). Just like me and you might not overrate Kimbo, but many people do.

And styles make fights, I think Kimbo's is perfect against Chuck. Solid chin (if Chuck couldn't knock out Jardine/Wandy/Vitor/Soleuv/Busta, he's not knocking out a bigger Kimbo). And Kimbo's way more powerful. Sure his experience against solid comp is lacking, but that doesn't decrease his chin/power/speed.
Ben_Hutch
4/16/08 8:45:38AM
JT will stand and trade with Kimbo, Kimbo will destroy JT, JT has a glass chin and was KO'd in his last to fights.......This is yet another pointless fight.
emfleek
4/16/08 8:50:56AM

Posted by ICSlegend

That's funny...Liddell is one of the most overrated fighters as well.

Overrated now? Possibly.

Overrated for his entire career? No f'ing way.
ICSlegend
4/16/08 12:05:32PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by ICSlegend

That's funny...Liddell is one of the most overrated fighters as well.

Overrated now? Possibly.

Overrated for his entire career? No f'ing way.

What?!

If anything he's NOT as overrated now, after Rampage and Jardine put him in his place, and he didn't knock out Wandy like legions of his fans "guaranteed" he would. Not even close.

But remember when people were calling him a God for knocking out grapplers that played his game? And conveniently forgot about his decisions wins (Busta being an obvious gift).

Overrated by most casual fans? Yes f'ing way. His whole career.
Pages: [1] 2