Dana White Not Happy With New TUF Format

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Not Happy With New TUF Format
Next Page »
juanez13
11/2/08 12:27:37PM
In an article for The Sun, Dana White expressed his displeasure with the next season of TUF.

I said from day one I hate the UK v USA idea.

It's dumb, I don't like it — it's not USA v the UK, we're looking for the best fighter in the world.

We put on a card one time, the USA v Canada, it was f***ing retarded.

I don't care if you're from the UK, Croatia or Brazil because at the end of the day, when Michael Bisping comes to America — Americans don't boo him.

When GSP comes down and fights in the US more people cheer for him than the guy who's from America!

When Tim Sylvia from the United States fought Antonio Nogueira from Brazil, everybody booed Sylvia on the way in and cheered for Nogueira. The reason is because in this sport it's not country versus country.

You either like the guy's fighting style or personality — nationality has nothing to do with it.

That's the way it used to be with boxing, with the exception of Ricky Hatton because everybody hates Floyd Mayweather!

But with the exception of that, you never saw guys from one country cheering a guy from a different country.

That's what's changing in what we're doing.

We're looking for the best fighters in the world — this country versus that country is irrelevant."

LINK
MMAcca
11/2/08 12:42:09PM
Interesting that Dana has no say on the format.....
nastshabast
11/2/08 1:22:15PM
i thought it was stupid from the get go too, especially that there would be no chance for fighters from other countries.
nickcuc547
11/2/08 1:30:27PM
he's right it is dumb, but my opinion will change if they get a strong cast.
cmb19932
11/2/08 1:35:34PM
i dont get the ricky hatton part but dana makes good points everywhere else
juanez13
11/2/08 1:40:20PM

Posted by cmb19932

He means that boxing fans will only cheer for fighters from their home country, say if Evander Holyfield was fighting Vitali, they would cheer for Lewis because he is american (bad example i know). But the only reason americans cheered for Hatton was because they dont like Mayweather. And that differs from MMA fans, as nationality isnt taken into account as heavily.

not saying is right, but thats what he is saying.
cmb19932
11/2/08 1:57:46PM
ok i mean i have loved boxing a long time and i never judged by where someones from

except i loved micky ward due to him being irish but i like his fighting too
MMAcca
11/2/08 2:02:58PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cmb19932

He means that boxing fans will only cheer for fighters from their home country, say Lennox lewis was fighting Vitali, they would cheer for Lewis because he is american (bad example i know). But the only reason americans cheered for Hatton was because they dont like Mayweather. And that differs from MMA fans, as nationality isnt taken into account as heavily.

Lennox is English juanez
juanez13
11/2/08 2:17:48PM
fixed!....I did say it was a bad example...that was the first thing that came to my head, but it still gets the point across, even if the 2 fighters are from different countries, they will cheer for they one the have the most common with. Which would definitely be Lewis.
Khaos
11/2/08 2:18:47PM
agree with Dana
nastshabast
11/2/08 2:32:18PM
Lennox Lewis is also Canadian
Poohbah
11/2/08 2:36:05PM
Isn't Lennox also Jamaican?
bls1919
11/2/08 2:37:28PM
Lets just hope there isn't another Allen Junie Browning in the mix!!!!!
Poohbah
11/2/08 2:45:07PM
So...if Dana doesn't like the format and thinks it's stupid...why the heck are they doing it?

I thought he called the shots?
nastshabast
11/2/08 2:53:01PM

Posted by Poohbah

Yes, also Lennox is Chinese and from the moon.

Wiki says born in West Ham, to Jamacian parents then moved to Kitchener so ....yes i guess....or no ....whichever is right...
IriShame
11/2/08 2:53:23PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cmb19932

He means that boxing fans will only cheer for fighters from their home country, say if Evander Holyfield was fighting Vitali, they would cheer for Lewis because he is american (bad example i know). But the only reason americans cheered for Hatton was because they dont like Mayweather. And that differs from MMA fans, as nationality isnt taken into account as heavily.

Poor Holyfield, they cheer for Lewis even when he's not fighting.
MMAcca
11/2/08 3:15:44PM

Posted by nastshabast

Posted by Poohbah

Yes, also Lennox is Chinese and from the moon.

Wiki says born in West Ham, to Jamacian parents then moved to Kitchener so ....yes i guess....or no ....whichever is right...

No, he's English and he moved to Canada when he was 12
mentalcase
11/2/08 3:23:59PM
I agree with Dana who cares what country your from its all about the individual fighter not where your from. I hate those fans that chant USA! USA! or what ever country your from. its Like "he’s from my country of 300 million people I somehow feel better about my self cause im also from that country" Pride is something your meant to get from your own achievements not somebody else’s
juddy33
11/2/08 3:55:23PM
this could turn into a bad situation like we all seen it before with alcohol and the immaturity of fighters. I mean they are stuck in a house with nothing but a pool table and minimal things to do so they drink and get violent. I am hoping for some crazy shit to go down though because that is entertainment.
Kracker_Jap
11/2/08 4:36:27PM
Props to Dana....

But I'm still going to be chanting USA USA USA from my couch
Bloodhound
11/2/08 6:54:50PM
i agree with dana, its not fair to fighters from coutnries other then america & uk
RMFG_187
11/2/08 7:49:06PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cmb19932

He means that boxing fans will only cheer for fighters from their home country, say Lennox lewis was fighting Vitali, they would cheer for Lewis because he is american (bad example i know). But the only reason americans cheered for Hatton was because they dont like Mayweather. And that differs from MMA fans, as nationality isnt taken into account as heavily.

Lennox is English juanez

Lennox is Canadian...
Gipper
11/2/08 8:05:00PM
agree 100%
cmill21
11/2/08 8:17:35PM
I'd rather they just had a bunch of guys from all over, like an international TUF. I'm sure they could get some Russian's, German's, Croat's, Canuck's, maybe even a thai. I know the language thing is probably their biggest concern but it would showcase all the different fighting styles and I think alot of people would enjoy it.
Wolfenstein
11/2/08 9:14:14PM
I agree with Dana, it doesn't make a lot of sense outside of being a gimmick. As a fight promoter though I don't understand why he would pull the rug out from underneath his own product and badmouth it. Kind of counter-productive.
4u2nv
11/3/08 9:15:31AM
The only thing the US vs. UK is going to do is cause a lot more drama in the house. Dana's right, this isn't really fair to the other people who don't live in these two places..I mean 3/5 champions in the UFC aren't from either the U.S. or U.K.. This seems silly.
emfleek
11/3/08 9:38:45AM
Sorry, Dana. Must spread the love...
BigTomZ
11/3/08 9:48:52AM
It doesn't matter if Dana White likes the format or not. It should do well with the UFC fans in the UK.

Many fans from the US probably don't realize why this season will do particularly well in the UK. I spent 4 years in the UK, I remember how their sports fans are. They just want to beat the American.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen boxing matches over there with some overrated British fighter who was fighting a washed up former American champion. They keep talking the American up like he is a current champ and he is a great boxer. Then when the British fighter wins, they say he beat a champion. When the reality is that the American is so washed up he could not get any fights in the US so he fights overseas now.

Even when the Olympics were on. There would be 8 guys in a race. The Brit would finish 7th but, as long as it was the American that finished 8th, they act like their guy ran a good race because he beat the American.

Hopefully no UK fans are offended. That is just the impression I kept getting over and over while I was there.
moob
11/3/08 12:32:30PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Lennox is Canadian...

That will be why he refers to himself as a Brit, was born in London etc...
Aaronno9
11/3/08 12:39:37PM

Posted by BigTomZ

It doesn't matter if Dana White likes the format or not. It should do well with the UFC fans in the UK.

Many fans from the US probably don't realize why this season will do particularly well in the UK. I spent 4 years in the UK, I remember how their sports fans are. They just want to beat the American.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen boxing matches over there with some overrated British fighter who was fighting a washed up former American champion. They keep talking the American up like he is a current champ and he is a great boxer. Then when the British fighter wins, they say he beat a champion. When the reality is that the American is so washed up he could not get any fights in the US so he fights overseas now.

Even when the Olympics were on. There would be 8 guys in a race. The Brit would finish 7th but, as long as it was the American that finished 8th, they act like their guy ran a good race because he beat the American.

Hopefully no UK fans are offended. That is just the impression I kept getting over and over while I was there.

Ive never really witnessed that mentality tbh, it doesnt matter if your a number 1 ranked american, or a number 78 ranked Peruvian, if we win at anything most fans will make sure everybody knows about it lol.

I really think juddy33 hit the nail on the head though, soon as the alcohol starts flowing some ***** going to go down. Not that i mind, like ive said before, if i wanted to watch good fights, i wouldnt even consider watching TUF, so the more entertainment from the house the better for me.
Pages: [1] 2