Dana White not happy with Georges St. Pierre’s choice of agents

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White not happy with Georges St. Pierre’s choice of agents
MMAcca
10/27/08 9:31:03AM
When news first broke that UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre had signed with the Hollywood-based Creative Artists Agency’s sports division, it was heralded by many as a breakthrough for the mixed martial arts industry.

By being able to attract such a mainstream agency, it was treated as an indicator of just how the sport has come in a short span of time. For St. Pierre, aligning himself with such a high-profile agency could help garner greater pay from the UFC as well as land mainstream sponsors.

However, despite being welcomed into the MMA industry with open arms by many, there is one man who is less than thrilled with CAA Sports’ arrival. And that man is none other than UFC President Dana White.

LINK
Jackelope
10/27/08 9:36:10AM
Of course he doesn't like it.. the dude brings leverage
4u2nv
10/27/08 9:43:52AM
wow thats a shame Dana White is crying about it. Seriously UFC needs to stop being so greedy and controlling. This is why u wish EliteXC and Pride were around so the fighters had another option besides the UFC.
postman
10/27/08 10:31:55AM
Yeah All the Randy stuff was the agents fault. Dana is going to statr seeing more and more agents in the next few tears and the pay scale for fighters is going to go up if he likes it or not. You can try to black ball Randy and who knows maybe there will be troubles with GSP but what happens when Alves gets one Nog gets one Marquardt gets one, Bj gets one, Soko gets one, Hendo, Wandy...... and so on? He wants a main stream sport he is going to get it but your not going to pay guys 6,000 to be on your main card fights and hes not going to be able to push every fighter around.

Pride isn't an option for fighters now but when you have guys like Trump putting there money into the sport and other big time business guys looking at the sport somethings got to give. You also have guys like Tito and Randy who are not going to be fighting much more and have a good graps of what works for the sport. Dana has pissed them off enough I see one of them teaming with a trup or Golden boy and putting a quality product out there. Now don't get me wrong this isn't going to happen tomorrow but give it time.
monkeybrawler
10/27/08 11:35:33AM
The UFC is paying there fighters more and more as the sport grows. If you look back to just a year ago fighters on the main card some were only making 7000 to 9000 now if you look at them there getting 15000 to 20000 even up to 30000. As the sport grows so will fighters pay. The UFC could pay them all crap loads of money and end up out of business like all the others. And yes Dana doesn't like it because of exactly what went down with Randy.
wapttn
10/27/08 11:46:12AM
People still dont understand that as "mainstream" as this sport has beocome, its still growing. By that i mean that almost every penny that the ufc is making right now gets reinvested into the company so that it can expand and better reach its markets. People keep thinking that because the ufc is getting to be so popular and is leaps and bounds over other organizations, that its a cashcow and that the owners and raking in the money in, hand over fist. Not the case. I firmly believe that the fighters will be paid more when the ufc can afford it. Ufc management is running the business the way they need to run it... if all fighters were paid what they think they're worth based on what fighters like kimbo, sylvia, or arlovski have been paid recently, then the ufc would go bankrupt. Why? because EliteXC is now bankrupt after digging a 70 million dollar hole after 2 years, and after one show, Affliction is several million in the hole.

Dana doesnt like the idea of a "hollywood agent" because of what happened with couture. Because of couture's agent, couture got all pissy over not being paid enough... comparing himself to paygrades in sports which have been well established with a mainstream audience for decades... attempted to violate his contract... went and spent months in Africa shooting "his breakout role" in a shitty straight to dvd movie and cost the ufc millions in court fees just to get shit settled. Sounds like more of a moviestar than a fighter right? Thats what you get when you get a moviestar agent representing a fighter.

And did someone mention tito? I really did love tito... i thought he was an amazing competitor... trained incredibly hard and whooped some serious ass. Sadly for me, the last time i saw the tito that i wanted to see was the first round against griffin. Take 60 year old ken shamrock out of the equation, and ortiz hasnt finished a fight since 2001. Without shamrock, ortiz hasnt had better than a split decision since cote in 04 and his last 3 are 0-1-2. So what kinda pay does tito actually deserve? Maybe tito should hook up with couture's old agent and they can argue their way into an overpaid contract in a promotion that'll go bankrupt before tito even gets to fight..... oh snap, that already happened.

Theres nothing wrong with CAA reppin gsp as long as they truly understand the business. CAA is a top agency for a reason, and i'm sure they'll do wonders for gsp's sponsorship deals... but their leverage with the ufc is minimal. Gsp has a great relationship with the ufc, is being paid well... and is too much of a competitor to go elsewhere... because someone may pay him 1 mil per fight.. but who's he gonna fight?
MMAcca
10/27/08 1:55:45PM

Posted by wapttn

People still dont understand that as "mainstream" as this sport has beocome, its still growing. By that i mean that almost every penny that the ufc is making right now gets reinvested into the company so that it can expand and better reach its markets. People keep thinking that because the ufc is getting to be so popular and is leaps and bounds over other organizations, that its a cashcow and that the owners and raking in the money in, hand over fist. Not the case. I firmly believe that the fighters will be paid more when the ufc can afford it. Ufc management is running the business the way they need to run it... if all fighters were paid what they think they're worth based on what fighters like kimbo, sylvia, or arlovski have been paid recently, then the ufc would go bankrupt. Why? because EliteXC is now bankrupt after digging a 70 million dollar hole after 2 years, and after one show, Affliction is several million in the hole.

Dana doesnt like the idea of a "hollywood agent" because of what happened with couture. Because of couture's agent, couture got all pissy over not being paid enough... comparing himself to paygrades in sports which have been well established with a mainstream audience for decades... attempted to violate his contract... went and spent months in Africa shooting "his breakout role" in a shitty straight to dvd movie and cost the ufc millions in court fees just to get shit settled. Sounds like more of a moviestar than a fighter right? Thats what you get when you get a moviestar agent representing a fighter.

And did someone mention tito? I really did love tito... i thought he was an amazing competitor... trained incredibly hard and whooped some serious ass. Sadly for me, the last time i saw the tito that i wanted to see was the first round against griffin. Take 60 year old ken shamrock out of the equation, and ortiz hasnt finished a fight since 2001. Without shamrock, ortiz hasnt had better than a split decision since cote in 04 and his last 3 are 0-1-2. So what kinda pay does tito actually deserve? Maybe tito should hook up with couture's old agent and they can argue their way into an overpaid contract in a promotion that'll go bankrupt before tito even gets to fight..... oh snap, that already happened.

Theres nothing wrong with CAA reppin gsp as long as they truly understand the business. CAA is a top agency for a reason, and i'm sure they'll do wonders for gsp's sponsorship deals... but their leverage with the ufc is minimal. Gsp has a great relationship with the ufc, is being paid well... and is too much of a competitor to go elsewhere... because someone may pay him 1 mil per fight.. but who's he gonna fight?

It's a shame i can only prop you once for this..........
Branwest
10/27/08 3:40:35PM
As long as he's fair with GSP, I think things will be alright. Dana doesn't want to let GSP get away. He's still young and has a very bright future ahead, as well as possible dominance of the WW division. I just hope that the agent doesn't try and start demanding too much, and get picky with small details. Other than that, I'm proud of GSP and you can't blame him for getting a legitimate agent who he knows has leverage and will get him the best deals possible. Also, the agent will make GSP more money in endorsements than he gets from fighting.
Couture did deserve more money, but it is his fault that he signed the contract. If he wanted more money, he shouldn't have signed the contract. Once its signed, you can't renegotiate. If he wanted more money in the middle of the contract, then the UFC should have been able to say, "well, if you don't do as well as we expect, then can we pay you less?". It's fine to want more money if you think you deserve it, but you don't have much ground to stand on if you already signed a contract. You were fine with the contract then, so what's the problem now. The problem is that he wasn't smart about the first, and should've had someone look at it before he signed it, and then he could've asked for more money.
But as for GSP, I'm proud of him. I just hope things go smoothly. After all, the agents job is to look out for the best interests of their client and get the most they can for them. I just hope the agent doesn't take this too far. GSP is one of the biggest stars in the sport right now, and he's going to want compensation. But the last I checked, he's being paid pretty damn good.
Jackelope
10/27/08 5:30:06PM

Posted by wapttn

See... while I agree with most of this and it is definitely based on factual events it's still a problem that needs to be addressed. I'm on MMA's side for this whole deal but the fact is these are very real problems Dana and the UFC are going to have to face.

This is a sign of what's to come and if you think these agents don't bring leverage you're kidding yourself.
jgtribbett
10/27/08 8:05:42PM
i agree with wapttn.. if you notice.. the ufc is still around while every other org is falling at their feet.. i say let them do what they aparently know how to do better than any other organization.
cmill21
10/27/08 8:19:57PM

Posted by jgtribbett

i agree with wapttn.. if you notice.. the ufc is still around while every other org is falling at their feet.. i say let them do what they aparently know how to do better than any other organization.

The reason for that IMO is everyone is trying to be the UFC instead of building like the UFC and Pride did. Remember Pride started as a one off show with only HW's and the UFC was 44 mil in the hole. I don't see this as a problem for the UFC, they will start locking guys up to longer contracts(10-15+ fights) and spread the talent out as well as raising ppv prices. They've already raised the prices and they don't have more then 4-6 high paid fighters on most cards so we're seeing the future of the sport. People want the money and big agents come with that big money.
bls1919
10/27/08 9:26:08PM
Of course dana isn't going to like it. Now he has guys who are in the buiness of negotiation looking out for fighters. Granted all the money that the UFC is making is going back into the company, but more of is going to swing toward the fighters.
xtra_chewy
10/27/08 11:35:30PM

Posted by wapttn

You have a verbal prop from me, gotta spread the love.