Dana White: ‘What happened on CBS was horrendous’ with Elite XC (ESPN video)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: ‘What happened on CBS was horrendous’ with Elite XC (ESPN video)
Next Page »
juanez13
6/1/08 10:25:06PM
LINK

cant say i didnt see it coming.
MALICE
6/1/08 10:52:58PM
Great Points. Multiple Shooting Deaths on multiple action shows or someone trying to kick someone in the head. Which one is more violent?
jakeiceman
6/1/08 11:02:01PM
Dana White is a stud, people can say what they want about his antics and his verbal feuds with everyone but in all reality he is a great president. He always stands up for the sport and has the facts to back up his mouth. As far as the Elite XC event last night, I really was not impressed, I knew they would do whatever it took to give Kimbo the win, I wont whine about it but that stop was a steaming pile of crap. Although I loved the Carino fight, she is exciting to watch.

FrankTheTank1181
6/1/08 11:03:40PM
I love Dana's argument about the number of deaths and serious injuries in MMA as opposed to football. I bet the suits were in that ESPN dude's ear sayin "END THE INTERVIEW". I love the badminton reference too.
imanidiot777
6/1/08 11:54:15PM
Let's go Dana!!!!
iwannabesedated
6/1/08 11:57:28PM
Good stuff....I was waiting for Dana to tell this guy to go F@*k Himself..

As always Dana wins a war of words with these straight edge sports writers and analyst...Say what you want but Dana is good at defending the sport and telling these douches how it is...
bigbubbano23
6/1/08 11:59:50PM
like dana's facial expressions, you can tell he just wants to say f@@k you dude your a f@@%ing idiot.
gartface
6/2/08 12:03:55AM

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

I love Dana's argument about the number of deaths and serious injuries in MMA as opposed to football. I bet the suits were in that ESPN dude's ear sayin "END THE INTERVIEW". I love the badminton reference too.

Dari Noka (The Anchor) actually seemed to be in Dana White's corner. Good to see Dana spreading the gospel.
Omega
6/2/08 12:06:07AM
That reporter was not only biased but ignorant. If you're not going to like a sport than be educated about it.

Ed O'neil a BJJ blackbelt doesn't like mma as much as boxing. Actually doesn't like it at all according to one interview. He says he likes the pure science of it and he finds it more exciting. That's fair. They're two different sports. If you like one you don't have to like the other. That's what the reporter should have run with.
Vendetta
6/2/08 12:06:12AM
I agree with him.
TimW001
6/2/08 12:06:52AM
Man I love Dana.
SqWaGGy
6/2/08 12:07:04AM
MMA is the low-point of society? Has that guy ever seen American Idol or any one of the shows currently on MTV? That is the low-point of society, not MMA. MMA is just several SPORTS rolled into one. Boxing/Kickboxing is fine, Wrestling is fine, Submission grappling is fine, but when they are combined together it is suddenly too brutal? Give me a break.

Just the fact that ESPN would ask the question "Is MMA appropriate for national television?" is beyond pathetic. Why is that question never asked in regards to other sports? In Football people get knocked out from hard tackles and everyone sees it as part of the game. In Hockey you had the guy get his neck sliced by a skate and blood was gushing out of his neck. In Baseball pitchers get hit in the head by 100mph baseballs and knocked unconscious. They should have asked "Is Elite XC the appropriate MMA organization to be on national television?"

These sports writers/columnists need to just admit that all sports are dangerous and carry the potential for serious injury. There is no need to single out MMA as a deadly/brutal sport when the stats show otherwise. ESPN ignores MMA, and only brings it up to ask stupid questions like this. MMA has never been given a fair chance by ESPN.

holt8081
6/2/08 12:11:16AM
Dana's the man
MMAcca
6/2/08 1:28:14AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Dana White is a stud, people can say what they want about his antics and his verbal feuds with everyone but in all reality he is a great president. He always stands up for the sport and has the facts to back up his mouth. As far as the Elite XC event last night, I really was not impressed, I knew they would do whatever it took to give Kimbo the win, I wont whine about it but that stop was a steaming pile of crap. Although I loved the Carino fight, she is exciting to watch.

props.
coldchillin
6/2/08 1:38:30AM
ESPN is starting to make me sick with guys like Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon... who talk down about MMA with the topic is ever brought up. They have never have no idea what they are talking about and I doubt they have ever watched a truly great MMA fight like Nick Diaz vs. Takanori Gomi, where somebody's true warrior spirit shined through in a fight. If they can't see the beauty in MMA and what it can possess at times, then f@&k them. If these idiots attempted to actually educate themselves on the sport and then had something bad to say about it, then that would be another thing.

Max Kellerman even stated on his radio show that a lot of these guys on ESPN are just too old and stuck in their ways to ever give a MMA a fair shot.
GrandMaster313
6/2/08 2:02:50AM
i may not agree with some of Dana's decisions but man can he shut people up when they try to BASH MMA. WAR DANA!!!!!!!!!!!
Loko
6/2/08 7:37:49AM
I love seeing stuff like this. You have an idiot who knows absolutly nothing about anything, and God's gift to MMA Dana White in a debate.

My thing is, like some of you have already stated, these people don't know what they are talking about so it makes their argument look half way retarded. If I don't like something, I stay away from it. This should hold true to these half witted morons, who have to argue about something different in the world. If they don't like MMA then they should keep watching the same old crap. I just don't know why tho, if you like boxing, or if you like wrestling, or if like judo, or kickboxing, so on and so on. Why would you not like MMA?

Boxing is the "Sweet Science" Okay, well boxers train for 12 3min rounds that have really on 4-5 intresting ones in them, other wise it is a bunch of walking the other guy down to throw 2-4 punchs with 16oz gloves on. And how many people in the history of boxing have died? And how many of these boxers walk out of the fight having to wear sunglasses, and hold 18 ice packs on there face because their face is a huge welt?

Then in MMA, they go for at most 25mins with 4oz gloves having to defend punchs, knees, elbows, kicks, takedowns, on top of have to actually fight the opponent and win in less time. How many MMA fighters have died? How many of the fighters walk out completly busted to shit?

I guess boxing isn't so much of a sweet science as it is a science experiment blown up in your face. The day a REAL boxer or REAL athlete can hang with a MMA fighter in the cage, maybe I will change my opinion about boxing, or any other sport for that matter, against MMA.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a topic that pisses me off, so thanks for dealing with the post..lol.
mrsmiley
6/2/08 7:48:25AM
I'm glad Dana was their.But I will say this,ESPN hasn't helped matters by hyping the Kimbo machine either.

I think they need to take a step back,and rethink how they cover the sport as well.
gsquat
6/2/08 9:34:33AM
Horrendous indeed. From the commentating to the decisions made inside the ring, the whole event seemed half-assed.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/2/08 12:11:25PM
Dana talking MMA is an intelligent and articulate man. Dana talking UFC is an ignorant and crude Uncle Fester looking MF'er. For thirty seconds I actually liked Dana until I remembered he said Fedor isn't a top 5 fighter.
whardin19
6/2/08 1:42:06PM
Dana is the man! He defended our sport great in the interview. The other guy was talking out of his ass. We see violent shows on television everyday and he doesn't think we should see two guys fighting in a ring? This guy needs to wake up this isn't the 1950's here. No matter how much Dana does in his fueds with some stars. The guy is good for this sport.
paddy260
6/2/08 1:50:39PM
it's kinda sad that the best fight was the female fight but the lawler fight was good until that dumb ass called the fight
decken
6/2/08 2:10:30PM

Posted by paddy260

it's kinda sad that the best fight was the female fight but the lawler fight was good until that dumb ass called the fight

Why is it sad? Because they are females? I welcome you to the 21st century where it does not matter if you are male of female you can do whatever you want. Also, females can be better than males at stuff (including fighting). I would say it is sad that most of the fights were not that entertaining and the fighters skill level wasn't very high. I mean come on matt serra brother getting so tired he couldn't continue the fight thats sad. Having Kimbo the main event instead of the Lawler fight thats sad.
theguido
6/2/08 2:24:09PM

Posted by SqWaGGy

MMA is the low-point of society? Has that guy ever seen American Idol or any one of the shows currently on MTV? That is the low-point of society, not MMA. MMA is just several SPORTS rolled into one. Boxing/Kickboxing is fine, Wrestling is fine, Submission grappling is fine, but when they are combined together it is suddenly too brutal? Give me a break.

Just the fact that ESPN would ask the question "Is MMA appropriate for national television?" is beyond pathetic. Why is that question never asked in regards to other sports? In Football people get knocked out from hard tackles and everyone sees it as part of the game. In Hockey you had the guy get his neck sliced by a skate and blood was gushing out of his neck. In Baseball pitchers get hit in the head by 100mph baseballs and knocked unconscious. They should have asked "Is Elite XC the appropriate MMA organization to be on national television?"

These sports writers/columnists need to just admit that all sports are dangerous and carry the potential for serious injury. There is no need to single out MMA as a deadly/brutal sport when the stats show otherwise. ESPN ignores MMA, and only brings it up to ask stupid questions like this. MMA has never been given a fair chance by ESPN.

Right on man very good insight of a true mma fan. PROPS
RMFG_187
6/2/08 2:34:51PM
Dana is a genius, greatest business mind, but he is still a dick, but props to him for sticking up for this wonderful sport!
hodge
6/2/08 2:47:30PM
Lmao go Dana if you love him or hate him you can never denie that he fights our corner with heart
roadking95th
6/2/08 2:55:21PM
Horrible. I think MMA lost a lot of potential fans. If I never saw an UFC/Pride/WEC/Dream(possibly) card before, I would have been sitting there going "huh?" This is the big deal?

The fights where C level. Thank God for Gina v Kaitlin and Lawler v Smith. I don't think Kimbo can carry a company himself. It seems this is what they are trying to do. Kimbo seems to be doing everything he can do to be a star, whether it be training seriously or cleaning up his life. He doesn't give good informative interviews either. Can't bash him for it, but you also can't build your company around it. This should have been a stacked card, the best EliteXC had to offer. Where was Shamrock? Cung Le? Shields? etc.. Should have saved them for this.

CBS' production was horrible. The announcing actually did well considering this was the first show. The show girls got to go. There is a reaosn they are not part of the NFL or NBA telecasts.

Dana was right in not giving up production rights to his events. I think this shows the lack of seriousness taken by CBS. The networks have good productions for other sports. Why not this?

To save MMA now, the UFC has to step in. Start running the best fights of the UFC and Pride. Then have a stacked card. Hell, the WEC show Sunday night was a good show. I don't think MMA can wait for a defining fight to occur, they need to show some of them. The hype would be lost, as well as the tension of the time, but give the new fans some backround on the sport. This needs to be done for the ones who will not research it on the internet.

This is not meant for the fans of this sight. We all ready know what is going on. This is meant for new fans.

As far as the violence, that is ridiculous. TV has plenty of violence, just that it is hidden and more subtle. Which actually desensitizes you to it. At least with MMA it is real and in your face. You see and know the dangers. With football, hockey, and network tv it is kind of glossed over. We don't see the results or brutallity of it. Hell, NASCAR had their biggest star die live on tv. Of course they didn't show the man, and rightfully so, but how does one get more violent then that?
HLONWLS
6/2/08 4:04:19PM
I was patiently waiting to read a forum thread like this one. I like most of you was insulted be the Elite XC show on Saturday night. It was a production and like many productions there were people pulling the strings of conformity. I will never insinuate that the athletes gave nothing less than their very best. However, CBS molded that event into a blasphemous heap of conservatism and mainstream garbage. Had it been any more flagrant I would call on the New Jersey Athletic Commission to take a close look at the officiating and the ring doctor for this event. This sport is what it is, do not bastard-ize it by trying to make it fluffy. If you do not like what you see change the channel to the Disney network. Oh and ditto on the cheerleaders save that junk for sports that only require one ball to participate.
xburbx
6/2/08 5:43:04PM
it has to be frustrating for dana to listen to idiots like that. clearly he watched 1 night of fights, saw some blood and compared it to an arnold shwartzenager movie. moron. good think dana had it covered
beerman77
6/2/08 7:21:13PM
the only reason that i think espn is even getten ivolved on this is cuz the are the dumb asses still covering boxing. . .... and not mma . they are fools for not picking this sport up
Pages: [1] 2