Dana White "guarantees" Brock Lesnar

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White "guarantees" Brock Lesnar
AmericanFighterAce
8/27/07 9:53:17PM
UFC President Dana White tells 15Rounds.com that four-time wrestling All-American and professional wrestling star-turned mixed martial artist, Brock Lesnar, will soon join the UFC heavyweight ranks. Lesnar and White met up this past weekend at UFC 74: “Respect.”

Lesnar UFC
jae_1833
8/27/07 9:57:23PM
That's going to be fun, but unfortunately if he has any success I will have to hear sorry ass Kurt Angle bitching about what he could have been for at least another year!!
MisFiT
8/27/07 9:58:01PM
Wow, I'm sure this isnt gonna work out, Lesnar as a fighter in UFC I mean, Dana will get him, and the downfall of MMA begins... Now I know why I have stopped watching it like I used to, it's gettin too out of hand these days.
babalu2720
8/27/07 10:08:27PM
Back up the talk Brock and i agree if Brock has any sucess we'll never hear the end of it from Angle
Mei-Mei
8/27/07 10:21:07PM
I'm excited to see what he can do, I'm a fan.
k_lup07
8/27/07 10:28:03PM
i dont care if he suplexed jesus christ himself, professional wrestling doesnt mean shit. he needs to work his way through the smaller organizations.
jae_1833
8/27/07 10:49:04PM
Good point...he only has one fight.
cjandnw
8/27/07 10:52:36PM
and now the beatings will begin...
rcg916
8/27/07 10:55:17PM
He may do well in time, he may not... This seems like a Sean Gannon type thing... Everyone is talking, why not bring him in for the Kimbo-esque freak show?

Or, maybe he's bringing him in just to shut Angle and the likes up if Brock loses... We will see as soon as an opponent is named in his first appearance... If its a big name, he brought him in to prove a point by his losing, if its a can, then he wants to milk it...

Should be fun regardless...
EddieBowers
8/27/07 11:01:51PM
Not that I am a fan of Brock, but if/when he does fight in the UFC he is going to win. Just due to his size... Now I am sure he has some fighting skills, however... once up against a true opponent, say Randy, or Fedor... somebody like that, I am sure he will get his a$$ handed to him due to skill. Being strong can only get you so far. I would however like to see him and Tim S. fight just becasue it would be like the White Trash Rumble. Sorry all you Brock/ Tim fans... Yes I called them White Trash.
Pitbull09
8/28/07 12:20:48AM

Posted by cjandnw

and now the beatings will begin...

lol, i dont like you
xphycorx
8/28/07 12:28:48AM
i agree with everyone for the most part that says that lesnar will not do well in the ufc against the top heavyweights, but not one of us will miss his debut in the ufc. we all are interested in seeing what he can do and that is why this is a good signing for the ufc.
sakurabaforever
8/28/07 1:29:58AM
Didn't Angle school him behind-the-scenes in WWE? Brock will do well, I don't see him getting dominated by anyone. It should be fun though, he's a top wrestler and if he works on his striking he will be a force.
SkaTroma
8/28/07 1:41:03AM
Forget about that stupid ass wrestling crap...it made him a ton of money but here is the real reason why he could be a threat in MMA if he continues to train in all facets of it......

From Wikipedia:

Lesnar wrestled at Webster High School in Webster, South Dakota where in his senior year managed to have a 33-0 record. Lesnar later attended the University of Minnesota on a full wrestling scholarship. Lesnar won the 2000 National Collegiate Athletic Association wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999. Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota. Lesnar finished his amateur career as a four-time all-American, two-time big-ten Champion and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106-5 overall in four years of college.

He has the background and certainly has the power to be a real threat if he trains and takes it seriously (which it seems like he is). Also, his PPV numbers will pay off immensely.
punisher
8/28/07 2:32:01AM
Brock will not take the title from Randy but i Belive Brock will do decent in the ufc he will be able to be some of the heavy weight's, for one brocks size will help him and his wreslting, he is a ncaa champion but brocks stand up is Questionble
jgtribbett
8/28/07 6:27:27AM

Posted by jae_1833

That's going to be fun, but unfortunately if he has any success I will have to hear sorry ass Kurt Angle bitching about what he could have been for at least another year!!

i agree... i just wish kurt angle did get into mma.. no bitching, no what ifs just results
waylon_o
8/28/07 7:13:52AM
Corey Hill has NEVER had a professional fight but nobody was bitching because he was on TUF. There is a guy on the next season of TUF that is like 4-4 AS AN AMATEUR. No pro fights, just amateur. I believe Monstah Lobstah only had 1 pro fight prior to TUF. If they let these guys on there, they should give someone with real credentials like Lesnar a chance. I don't see a problem with it.
LR
8/28/07 10:02:31AM
Randy will bitchslap him in the clinch, I believe. Pure strength has never translated into a great record. Coleman is one instance of that, and he's fairly quick and a great wrestler. The submission game is becoming so advanced that it really counters wrestling very well. Randy's Greco-Roman wrestling translates well to MMA though, because it relies heavily on body control.

I think if the UFC markets Lesnar, he'll fight a lot of standup guys. And he'll just throw them down and dominate them. I'd hate to see it, but I'm not a fan of Lesnar. I think it'd be fairly humorous if he fights someone like Crocop and gets kicked in the head on his first rush.
loller90278
8/28/07 12:30:59PM
brock is the heavy weight version of what koschek used to be on TUF
Chris_Keppel
8/28/07 1:28:38PM

Posted by k_lup07

i dont care if he suplexed jesus christ himself, professional wrestling doesnt mean shit. he needs to work his way through the smaller organizations.

lmao
EddieBowers
8/28/07 1:51:06PM
I don't think anybody in here is saying Brock will get his a$$ handed to him, or that he will not be able to win a fight. I mean come on he is a beast, and he can wrestle. There are several people I am sure he can beat just because of his strength. I just don’t think he can take the title and hold on to it, in other words be a legit Champ in the MMA world… not just the UFC. I would like to watch him grow into a good MMA fighter, maybe show some respect to those that started this, and that are current and past champions.
LR
8/28/07 2:54:13PM

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Brock Lesner is a Big man who couldnt cut it in the NFL, so he went to the fake professional wrestlers circuit. Ill give him credit for fwanting to get in the ring with some of the top contenders but he shouldnt get a pass to the UFC just because he is Brock Lesner. If Dana Whit keeps letting the pro wrestlers come in to the ufc no matter if they win or lose they will throw a shadow over the reality of it all. When people start thinking the UFC is fake its all over.

Lesnar may be a fake WWE wrestler, but he does have an NCAA D1 championship, as well as a ridiculous 106-5 record in his amateur wrestling career. It depends on how it translates for him to MMA. Many fighters with those credentials have done well, ie. Coleman, Koscheck, Henderson, and various other decent wrestlers. I don't think he'll be top 5, but he could potentially have a good money making career in MMA.
blowe1983
8/28/07 4:32:35PM
brock is more decorated than most wrestlers in the ufc. brock got asked in the ufc for the money. if some amatuer fighter thast never been heard of started talking all of this garbage about how he can dominate the best trained heavyweight fighters in the world dana would laugh. but since its brock hes gonna let him fight. idk it can either be really really good or really really bad. right now ive been pretty satisfied with dana i just hope this isnt a turn for the worst
Jackelope
8/28/07 4:59:57PM
Nothing says "Welcome to the UFC!" like a kick to the head from Crocop, IMO ;)
waylon_o
8/28/07 7:44:47PM

Brock Lesner is a Big man who couldnt cut it in the NFL, so he went to the fake professional wrestlers circuit. Ill give him credit for fwanting to get in the ring with some of the top contenders but he shouldnt get a pass to the UFC just because he is Brock Lesner. If Dana Whit keeps letting the pro wrestlers come in to the ufc no matter if they win or lose they will throw a shadow over the reality of it all. When people start thinking the UFC is fake its all over.

Exactly who are these other pro wreslters that Dana White has let into the UFC?
The_Grim_Reaper
8/28/07 9:47:31PM

ok well first off Lesnar is accomplished amatuear wrestler first who only went into professional wrestling because amatuear wrestling isnt much of a career and after professional wrestling which he did first, he went on to play for the minesota vikings untill he was eventually cut because he missed practices because of an injury he sustained during a motorcycle accident in 2004 now he has decided to get into Mixed Martial Arts which i think is great because to me hes as serious as any other if not more serious then sum of the people out there in MMA