Dana White: TJ Grant Will Get Next Crack at UFC Lightweight Title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: TJ Grant Will Get Next Crack at UFC Lightweight Title
JLS1980
9/3/13 8:13:20PM
Although new UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis‘ health is currently in question, his first title defense is not.

UFC president Dana White told Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports – an official MMAWeekly.com content partner – that TJ Grant will get the next shot at the lightweight title. Although Iole added that Pettis is still undergoing tests on the knee he injured when taking the belt from Benson Henderson at UFC 164 on Saturday night.

Link
Budgellism
9/3/13 8:17:59PM
sparky
9/3/13 8:19:35PM
I guess that answers that.

Super fights just arent meant to happen.
Webbie
9/3/13 8:33:02PM
Ghey.
Budgellism
9/3/13 8:50:01PM

Posted by sparky

I guess that answers that.

Super fights just arent meant to happen.

It won't be long before Aldo is done cutting to Featherweight. Pettis/Aldo will happen eventually.
Lungsofsteel
9/3/13 9:09:10PM
should be a good fight
FastKnockout
9/3/13 9:55:35PM
Thank god. There's no reason for a superfight when a fighter hasn't defended his belt. Grant worked hard for his chance and he deserves it as soon as possible.
Budgellism
9/3/13 11:22:26PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Thank god. There's no reason for a superfight when a fighter hasn't defended his belt. Grant worked hard for his chance and he deserves it as soon as possible.

Plus, TJ Grant has been exciting as hell lately. More than Aldo. He just ran through Maynard. No one has dominated Maynard before. Personally I'm much more excited to see him and Pettis go at it. I also know no matter what the outcome of this fight is, Aldo/Pettis will happen. Dana isn't stupid. If Pettis manages to beat Grant impressively and get that first title defence there will be a little more hype surrounding the fight and more awesome footage of Pettis they can use to hype it up. If he loses, Pettis will likely move to Featherweight and still get a shot at Aldo, just like Edgar did. The UFC can't lose here no matter who fights Pettis though.
traveller77
9/4/13 2:28:56AM
Dana finally dispenses some justice
bjj1605
9/4/13 2:47:18AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Agree 100%.

Super fights are for when you've cleared out your division or at least defended it a bunch of times and are starting to look invincible.

Pettis had a great win but there are plenty of guys waiting in the wings for a crack at his belt.
airkerma
9/4/13 6:37:24AM
I like this very much. Now grant gets his well deserved shot and pettis has his chance for a defense. Also I think postman said it yesterday that it isn't as if aldo was ready to jump in and fight pettis right now, he has his own injuries to tend to. No sense in holding up two divisions when one is mobile.
Chieftan1997
9/4/13 9:43:21AM
I want to see Aldo vs. Pettis eventually but agree with most here that this fight needed to happen first. T.J. is the clear #1 contender and earned a title shot. Pettis needs to defend the belt at least once before any superfight happens, and like someone said if Grant were to win we can still see Pettis drop down and fight Aldo!!!

From watching the scrum Dana didn't like the idea of one person holding up 2 belts either so maybe they still have to figure out how they want to do the superfight if it happens.

Bubbles
9/4/13 1:10:40PM
let's fast track Guida to the LW title so Pettis vs Aldo can happen at FW
george112
9/4/13 1:17:32PM
TJ Grant FTW
prozacnation1978
9/4/13 1:18:37PM
My guess is this may be a ppv main event
Not a fox card. .I think people would pay for Pettis
Just not for bensen
GDPofMPG
9/4/13 2:16:26PM
I think this is a bigger fight then Bendo vs Pettis 2 really. From the media/normalcy standpoint, Benson as the defending champ, 7-0 in the UFC, fighting the last guy to beat him for the WEC title in their last match with a drama cage kick from Pettis who has been hot, exciting and fitting a fan support demo, Bendo vs Pettis 2 was much bigger. But from my perspective of, these two men are going to fight, I think this is much better. I love the styles meeting. Grant is gonna try to fuck up Pettis bad, not secure a won a match against him, that will play into a fight Pettis would prefer.