Dana White: Flyweight Division Isn't Likely Until Early 2012

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Flyweight Division Isn't Likely Until Early 2012
Budgellism
8/10/11 8:02:04PM
The possible formation of a UFC flyweight division has been a hot topic as of late. A couple of months ago Dana White went on record saying that they were going to go forward with the creation of the division, and they were already looking at signing talent. After watching the Tachi Palace Fights 10 card last weekend (or trying to anyway - the stream dropped more than the Dow Jones has lately), it became readily apparently that these guys could be very popular in the UFC.

LINK
pmoney
8/10/11 9:50:44PM
I know a lot of people don't care to see the Flyweights. I do. I like the sub 155lb weight classes. To me the old argument of "fights will never be finished" doesn't hold much water with me. There are people who finish at Flyweight, Bantamweight, Featherweight, Lightweight, etc... There are people who finish, and people who don't, in every weight class. That's the game. That's the high level of competition. Why not get as many great fighters and great fights in the UFC as possible, in all weight classes?
Budgellism
8/10/11 10:32:24PM

Posted by pmoney

I know a lot of people don't care to see the Flyweights. I do. I like the sub 155lb weight classes. To me the old argument of "fights will never be finished" doesn't hold much water with me. There are people who finish at Flyweight, Bantamweight, Featherweight, Lightweight, etc... There are people who finish, and people who don't, in every weight class. That's the game. That's the high level of competition. Why not get as many great fighters and great fights in the UFC as possible, in all weight classes?

Well said pmoney. I tend to enjoy 155 and below more than the heavier weight classes. I'm fine with decisions or stoppages but with the smaller guys I know I'm going to see a war the majority of the time. The smaller guys tend to stay fresh longer and that makes for better fights in my opinion.
pmoney
8/10/11 10:46:35PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by pmoney

Well said pmoney. I tend to enjoy 155 and below more than the heavier weight classes. I'm fine with decisions or stoppages but with the smaller guys I know I'm going to see a war the majority of the time. The smaller guys tend to stay fresh longer and that makes for better fights in my opinion.

Great post man! How many times have we waited for a fight like Mir-Cro Cop, or Kimbo-Alexander. You're like, "Oh man, this has war/KO written all over it!", and then you watch it. Dudes are gassed out, resting their arms on their legs, waiting to catch their breath.... Whack. I can't remember the last time I saw something that bad in Lightweight or below.
telnights
8/10/11 10:54:35PM
I like all weight classes. Be it FW or HW they all can make for good MMA.
prophecy033
8/10/11 11:39:12PM
I don't know much about the flyweights, or featherweigjts, or bantamweights... But the more MMA the better
jay98107
8/11/11 2:26:02AM

Posted by prophecy033

I don't know much about the flyweights, or featherweigjts, or bantamweights... But the more MMA the better

This. I especially don't know much about Flyweight, but the best way to build interest is to get the division going in the UFC.
prophecy033
8/11/11 2:47:40AM
Patchedup15
8/11/11 1:59:34PM
I don't want flyweight until
A WEC import divisions are better established
or
B Merge the 135 and 145 into a 140lb division.. too many lesser known fighters.. i understand the UFC is getting a bargain here, as they would with flyweights who aren't used to making more than 32 even with win bonus' but still.. don't lose quality.. ease into this
tmas
8/12/11 8:58:34AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by pmoney

Great post man! How many times have we waited for a fight like Mir-Cro Cop, or Kimbo-Alexander. You're like, "Oh man, this has war/KO written all over it!", and then you watch it. Dudes are gassed out, resting their arms on their legs, waiting to catch their breath.... Whack. I can't remember the last time I saw something that bad in Lightweight or below.

yea but in the fights where people were gassing out that means they litterally gave it there all and it was a war.

also i dont mind the division i like many divs, but gotta split HW first imo.