Is Dana White going to far removing every fight from the web?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is Dana White going to far removing every fight from the web?
icantthinkofanything
2/1/09 3:14:28PM
In these tuf times, buying ppv events are out of the question. Dana White is always putting copyright claims on any site with ufc videos. I feel his pain about copyright infringement. However, I believe that for every person who watches ufc (for free or not) there will be 3 others who will hear about this event, and want to watch also. Part of the problem is, no one can afford ufc and growth is impossible. MmA has survived and prospered by the web. I think this is unique to ufc and mma, because of the explosion of mma popularity. For example, when I talk about boxing, no one cares, because they already know boxing and like it or not. Ufc, on the other hand is an exciting movement/sport that will grow a lot, because of the grass roots support and interest in anything new and exciting. I think watching ufc for free will grow the sport more. Just as some refuse to download music illegally, many will watch ufc legally. Until the cost of ufc drops to 5 or 10 bucks, many hardcore fans cant afford it every month. These hardcore fans need the free media, to help grow the sport.

RIP HELIO GRACIE
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
tuvok500
2/1/09 3:17:59PM
All fight nights are free on Spike and UFC 95 gonna be free on spike too so ..
DCRage
2/1/09 3:19:25PM
Don't want to pay $45? Wait until the DVD comes out then it's only $15-20.
casey64
2/1/09 3:21:31PM

Posted by tuvok500

All fight nights are free on Spike and UFC 95 gonna be free on spike too so ..

Yea there are two free UFC events coming up in a row, three if you count WEC.
PABLOMAFIOSO
2/1/09 3:31:17PM
Everyone has to pay to watch so why do some deserve to watch for free? I think that some downloadable content should be available after events, thats about it!
jnjjacob
2/1/09 3:32:45PM
I agree with icantthinkofanything to a certain point.

I mean, UFC does have to make money, on the other hand I would hate to see MMA momentum decline due to the "tuf" times.
As a Business Major (and I think about stuff like this...), I would like to see how lowering the price point of the PPVs would affect MMAs momentum and UFC's bottom line. Would it allow more people to become MMA fans??? Would it allow more people to buy the PPVs???

$25 per event would at least allow me to buy more beer for the fight!
haggiswashere
2/1/09 3:33:41PM
or just find some buddies to watch with and split the bill with them. 45 sounds like alot but a group of people watching split evenly only costs about 5 or so everytime.
DCRage
2/1/09 3:37:02PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

Everyone has to pay to watch so why do some deserve to watch for free? I think that some downloadable content should be available after events, thats about it!

Already is. You can download and watch UFC event prelims the next day with UFC On Demand. $2 per fight or $10 per month (you pay upfront for 6 months at a time). And after a while you can re-watch PPV fights as part of your subscription.
Wolfenstein
2/1/09 3:43:48PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

Already is. You can download and watch UFC event prelims the next day with UFC On Demand. $2 per fight or $10 per month (you pay upfront for 6 months at a time). And after a while you can re-watch PPV fights as part of your subscription.

Are you sure on that? The wording seems kind of hazy. The way I read it, you have to pay a semi annual charge, and then on top of that $10 a month. So essentially $20 a month.

I wish they would make a live event subscription package. If it was enough of a bargain I would probably buy it for like say $29.95 a month.
nickcuc547
2/1/09 4:00:37PM
if i were dana i would do the exact same thing, no free bees.
JimiMak
2/2/09 12:14:48AM
So the owner(s) of copyrighted material are supposed to let other people make money on their copyrighted material?

As the rightful owner of course Zuffa takes them away when they find them. When you use the net to pirate videos you know that is exactly what you're doing and can't complain cuz the owner had the pirater shut down. I too long for the day when you can watch UFC for free w/o pirating. But until then we have to accept videos disappearing etc.
hippysmacker
2/2/09 2:02:34AM

Posted by JimiMak

So the owner(s) of copyrighted material are supposed to let other people make money on their copyrighted material?

As the rightful owner of course Zuffa takes them away when they find them. When you use the net to pirate videos you know that is exactly what you're doing and can't complain cuz the owner had the pirater shut down. I too long for the day when you can watch UFC for free w/o pirating. But until then we have to accept videos disappearing etc.

I recommend everybody own a business, See people steal money from your pocket, and then see how I you feel about this.
ncordless
2/2/09 2:45:20AM
Look a little harder... you can find any UFC fight for free if you want it.

I don't blame Zuffa for trying to keep its property from being downloaded for free, but in reality it is impossible due to differing laws in other parts of the world.

It makes sense for the UFC to try to limit this stuff, and it also makes sense for other orgs. (especially those without TV coverage) to try and get as much of their stuff out there. One thing to take from the Kimbo Slice debacle is that youtube vids with the right buzz can do just as much as a mainstream marketing blitz. Smaller orgs wishing to achieve some name recognition should and do upload their entire cards.
pv3Hpv3p
2/2/09 9:44:10AM
Can't blame them for wanting to make money... But I guess I could see where some of these fights leaking onto the web might be considered as decent marketing tools... Makes sense the way they do it, but it is a bummer...

Anyways... Check out mma linker, you can find almost anything in there if you search around enough... Or at least find an external link to it
seanfu
2/2/09 12:37:32PM
Rutube.ru and MMAcore.com have all the big fights the next day. No reason to bitch about it. Rutube always has the fights, they can't be removed by the ufc.
telnights
2/2/09 2:04:04PM
I own a software company and can tell you pirating hurts my business and doesn't really help it in any way. Most people that pirate software, movies, or music have no intentions of buying it. Now there are few who do but they are rare at best. Now I cant say I agree with the way company's are going about getting their property removed from the web. Like per say RIAA or MPAA taking everyone under the sun to court because they THINK they may have been sharing their property. I lot of people that don't even use a computers get caught up in this and cant afford legal help. Then you have your DRM platforms that cause more problems for the legit users than it does for the software pirates. The best thing to do is make your software, music, and movies easily accessed and not hugely over priced. That's the problem a lot of company's have is they don't make it easy to legitimately download their item and its hard to pay for their item. Then on top of that they over price it a lot of times. It shouldn't cost more to download software. In fact it should cost a lot less because you don't have near as much over head. The RIAA is a good example of what not to do. Its cost more in the long run to legitimately download music on the web than it does to buy the full CD in a store. To top it off the artist doesn't make as much when you legitimately download their music. Then you add DRM to a lot of the downloaded music when people that pirate it don't have to deal with DRM. This is by far the worse thing they could have done because it makes people not want to pay for or support them at all. They don't have near the over head to put music on the web but some how it cost more and cant be used in other MP3 players when a CD can be used anywhere or ripped to MP3 that's DRM free.
bls1919
2/2/09 6:51:42PM
Are we talking about live events being aired online, or any UFC videos on the net. Because i literally learned 90 % of what i know from watching past events on the web. I can get with blocking any live event and even put a time limit before it goes to the web. But i would never have seen many of the fights i love without the internet. Just my two cents. Ohh and for the cost of the PPV.........split it with a couple of buddies. 10 bucks a peice to see GSP tear apart BJ was well worth it.
SociopathX
2/2/09 10:44:03PM
One of the reasons I got myself into UFC was watching a ton of the fighters past fights and discovery fighters I began to like and follow. This has what's gotten me as well as a hand ful of my friends into the UFC.

I'm against being able to watch the PPV's online for free because people should pay for that ( the price could be a bit cheaper but that's another discussion) but as far as being able to watch old UFC fights on the web I'm totally for it. Hopefully dana white or whoever doesn't go on some powertrip and try to stop everyone from being able to even watch fights on the web now.
icantthinkofanything
2/3/09 9:13:09AM
I agree, watching the old fights on the web, is a BIG reason I got more into UFC/MMA. The fights on free cable tv, and public tv, leave a lot to be desired after watching them 6 times in one year...(however, i keep watching, cuz I love the sport that much). Old fights are the same as re runs...they are valuable to the owner financially, but for the average viewer, seeing it once is ebough. There is no reason to copyright protect reruns, because usually the people watching the reruns, are seeing it for the first time(and is not a rerun to them) These web fights are essential to growth.
About ppv's. I agree, they should not be free. I think they should be 10$. They are not though, and without watching PPV's, watching chan. 11 reruns over and over, and the removal of old fights from the web...even I could loose interest in the sport. They need to stimulate more interst in the sport. The solution is always to compromise. Continue taking videos off EVERYWHERE ON THE WEB...and put them on UFC site for free. You can than further the situation by only putting low priority fights on ufc site, and sell the good ones.
RiseUp21
2/4/09 1:57:09AM
all the biggest cards usually wind up on spike like three months later, anyway. Brock/Couture for instance. plus, the next time GSP or Penn (maybe not in Penn's case) fights on a PPV, you know they'll have another Unleashed which will probably show GSP/Penn 2. I buy the PPV's, most of the time splitting it with friends/gf, but the UFC will show big profile fights for free. I wouldnt worry about that.
mrsmiley
2/4/09 8:55:34AM
I say if it's shown on tv,then I don't see a big issue with watching it on your computer.