Dana White explains Cro Cop situation

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White explains Cro Cop situation
emfleek
7/17/09 11:34:17AM
After his first round stoppage of Mustapha Al Turk, Mirko Cro Cop was rumored to be departing the UFC for the Japanese based Dream Promotion. Upon hearing the news, UFC President Dana White exploded on the 2006 Pride Grand Prix Champion.

“Isn’t that a dirty (expletive) thing to do?” White said. “He (expletive) me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he (expletive) me.”

STORY
Shawn91111
7/17/09 11:46:07AM
Dana, is it tough to say " Yanno as usual, I overreacted and put my foot in my mouth before I got all the info"
emfleek
7/17/09 11:49:57AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Dana, is it tough to say " Yanno as usual, I overreacted and put my foot in my mouth before I got all the info"

Do YOU know all the info? I wouldn't be so quick to blame Dana, if you don't.

Shawn91111
7/17/09 11:57:28AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Do you...does anyone. Dana flying off the handle isnt something new
Menard_StC
7/17/09 12:16:01PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Well.... Dana did go on a tirade about CC F%cking him over and how dirty it was... just because he heard a rumor from Japan that turned out to be false.
prozacnation1978
7/17/09 1:03:11PM
he over reacted like always not bad got cro cop might sign tito back good week
emfleek
7/17/09 1:04:57PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Do you...does anyone.

Nope. That's precisely my point.
Shawn91111
7/17/09 1:11:18PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Do you...does anyone.

Im going by what ive read, what Dana has specifically said about this
cmill21
7/17/09 2:15:55PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Do you...does anyone.

I do, and for like 2 weeks no one knew what was goind on. No one knew why Dream released info, or why dana flew off the handle. Cro Cop never signed paper contracts with the Japanese so them saying he signed meant he was listening to their offers. The problem with the UFC's was Cro Cop wanted 3 fights this year, and they didn't want to give him 3. Now as you can tell by them pulling Dos Santo's they gave him what he wanted.
Jackelope
7/17/09 3:55:02PM
This is why I'm always critical of Dana White's overreactions. I don't see how any one can defend him here. We all saw the comments he made, and if he didn't screw up he wouldn't have needed to back track when Crocop called him on the phone. We all know he's known for these things.

Now, granted.. this isn't the full story, and I concede that point. I love what Dana White has done for the sport, so I'm not trashing him. I'm just saying- we all know how Dana is known to act in these situations. It's not like this is new. I just try not to let my like or dislike for a particular person affect my ability to call a spade a spade.

If you're wondering why I'm so busy trying to call out Dana White on this issue. Go back and read all the things people said about Cro Cop when this deal went down. Oh, how quick they were to criticize him, and now they're defending Dana White? Again- this is people allowing their like and/or dislike for a person to dictate how they handle a situation. Instead of looking at the facts. As I said from the beginning about this situation- A fighter considers himself a business, and the UFC considers themselves a business. They should act professionally and pursue their business relationships accordingly. Snide comments like Dana made are unnecessary in these situations.
emfleek
7/17/09 4:09:54PM

Posted by Jackelope

This is why I'm always critical of Dana White's overreactions. I don't see how any one can defend him here. We all saw the comments he made, and if he didn't screw up he wouldn't have needed to back track when Crocop called him on the phone. We all know he's known for these things.

Now, granted.. this isn't the full story, and I concede that point. I love what Dana White has done for the sport, so I'm not trashing him. I'm just saying- we all know how Dana is known to act in these situations. It's not like this is new. I just try not to let my like or dislike for a particular person affect my ability to call a spade a spade.

If you're wondering why I'm so busy trying to call out Dana White on this issue. Go back and read all the things people said about Cro Cop when this deal went down. Oh, how quick they were to criticize him, and now they're defending Dana White? Again- this is people allowing their like and/or dislike for a person to dictate how they handle a situation. Instead of looking at the facts. As I said from the beginning about this situation- A fighter considers himself a business, and the UFC considers themselves a business. They should act professionally and pursue their business relationships accordingly. Snide comments like Dana made are unnecessary in these situations.

I'm certainly NOT defending Dana here. However, I still stand by my statement that NO ONE here knows the facts so NO ONE here can honestly say who's in the right and who's in the wrong. Sure, Dana's been known to over-react and/or blow up prematurely. We all know that. But at the same time, we do not know ALL the facts so to say he's solely to blame for the outburst is just not fair.

Of course, this is all my opinion, too. Everyone has the right to believe what they want to believe.
Shawn91111
7/17/09 4:17:15PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

I'm certainly NOT defending Dana here. However, I still stand by my statement that NO ONE here knows the facts so NO ONE here can honestly say who's in the right and who's in the wrong. Sure, Dana's been known to over-react and/or blow up prematurely. We all know that. But at the same time, we do not know ALL the facts so to say he's solely to blame for the outburst is just not fair.

Of course, this is all my opinion, too. Everyone has the right to believe what they want to believe.

Do we ever really know all the facts of most of Dana's outbursts. Cro Cop wasnt the one who launched into a overreacting tirade, Dana did.
emfleek
7/17/09 4:26:46PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Do we ever really know all the facts of most of Dana's outbursts. Cro Cop wasnt the one who launched into a overreacting tirade, Dana did.

Question...had the Cro Cop rumors been true, would you think otherwise about the statements Dana made? At the time, he thought he had been lied to and manipulated. I can't fault someone for blowing up like he did. If I feel my trust has been violated, I'm one pissed off MF'er, personally.

Hmmm...maybe I *am* defending him in a sense. I guess I just don't let the things he says get under my skin or change my opinion about him. I personally like the guy's personality and the way he doesn't candycoat his statements through his PR rep.
Shawn91111
7/17/09 4:31:21PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Question...had the Cro Cop rumors been true, would you think otherwise about the statements Dana made? At the time, he thought he had been lied to and manipulated. I can't fault someone for blowing up like he did. If I feel my trust has been violated, I'm one pissed off MF'er, personally.

Hmmm...maybe I *am* defending him in a sense. I guess I just don't let the things he says get under my skin or change my opinion about him. I personally like the guy's personality and the way he doesn't candycoat his statements through his PR rep.

Who's skin is he getting under? You're blowing this up into something more than it is. I said he overreacted as he usually does, you even said he overreacts in a previous post.
emfleek
7/17/09 4:36:34PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Who's skin is he getting under? You're blowing this up into something more than it is. I said he overreacted as he usually does, you even said he overreacts in a previous post.

I know exactly what I said and I never said that he was getting under YOUR skin. If you read just about ANY thread about Dana White in these forums, it's usually about 50/50 in terms of nuthugging comments and "Dana needs to shut up!" or "Dana needs to stop cussing so much" comments.
Shawn91111
7/17/09 4:41:35PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

I know exactly what I said and I never said that he was getting under YOUR skin. If you read just about ANY thread about Dana White in these forums, it's usually about 50/50 in terms of nuthugging comments and "Dana needs to shut up!" or "Dana needs to stop cussing so much" comments.

I didnt SAY he was getting under my skin, just asked who's SKIN he was getting under.
Jackelope
7/17/09 5:08:12PM
You never saw an overreaction out of Crocop is all I'm saying. As fans, if we're the type of fans that want to see the top competitors in the UFC, we should all be a little bit critical of the guy running the business if he's going to act like this. Potentially this could have ruined relations between himself and Crocop, and therefore could have ruined the fans' chances at seeing this guy compete in the UFC. The UFC loses an opportunity, Crocop loses an opportunity, and the fans lose an opportunity. It's a lose/lose situation. I'm not saying Dana didn't hear something that could have really pissed him off, but if you're going to advocate knowing the facts first before you comment, don't you think the guy that you would defend should do the same?

We've already seen other fighters come out and say they refuse to sign with the org because they don't appreciate the way Dana handles business dealings. We've seen the way Dana has bullied around AKA and its fighters. Again, we don't know the full story, but we know that the things we have seen said haven't exactly been said in the most respectful manner.
Rush
7/17/09 6:03:37PM

Posted by emfleek

From my perspective I totally understand if someone gets angry in private about something, whether they have all the facts or not. However, Dana has a tendency to blow up PUBLICALLY. Not only is it unprofessional, but he risks burning bridges if the facts end up being incorrect or incomplete.

Most of us want the fighters to act in a professional manner. Even if we don't come out and say it, we appreciate it when they do and criticize when they don't. I think we should expect the same, if not more, from the president of the UFC.
warglory
7/17/09 6:06:41PM
The thing with Dana White though, is that he is brutally honest. Yes, he speaks when he shouldn't sometimes, but when he ***** up, he equally lets people know that publicly as well.
Jackelope
7/17/09 6:15:55PM

Posted by warglory

The thing with Dana White though, is that he is brutally honest. Yes, he speaks when he shouldn't sometimes, but when he ***** up, he equally lets people know that publicly as well.

That's a pretty valid point. At times I like the way Dana acts, especially when he's dealing with media folks and critics. When it's a fighter who has earned the respect that Crocop has, it's just kind of ridiculous IMO.

You've got to be careful with that when dealing with other cultures, though. Some of the brash way Americans act doesn't really fly in other countries. Obviously you're probably aware of that, though. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Rush
7/17/09 6:16:14PM
I'm a brutally honest person myself, but I've learned the hard way that brutal honesty is not always good for business. I'm not suggesting that he not be honest, but rather be careful not to mix his emotions in his business.