Dana White Expects to Know 'Ultimate Fighter' Coaches on Friday

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Expects to Know 'Ultimate Fighter' Coaches on Friday
emfleek
12/15/10 1:48:42PM
In the week and a half since the Finale of The Ultimate Fighter Season 12, speculation has run rampant about who the coaches will be for the show's 13th season, which will begin taping in early 2011. UFC President Dana White said on Wednesday that he's about 48 hours away from knowing the coaches' identities.

"We should have it done by Friday," White said at a press conference in Rio de Janeiro, where he announced that the UFC would host a fight card in Brazil in August.

So who are the likely choices?

LINK
DosBox
12/15/10 1:49:38PM
In my opinion,

Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen.
emfleek
12/15/10 1:56:40PM

Posted by DosBox

In my opinion,

Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen.

Already ruled out.

I'm saying Leben/Wanderlei.
FlashyG
12/15/10 3:11:55PM
I thought Wanderlei was the one to back out?

I'd like to see Sonnen as a coach, like him or hate him he'd sell the season very well.
emfleek
12/15/10 3:15:33PM

Posted by FlashyG

I thought Wanderlei was the one to back out?

That hasn't been confirmed as far as I know. Chael posted a Twitter message saying something along the lines of, "It's probably for the best...blah blah blah...I would have humiliated you, anyways, blah blah blah." He never stated that Wanderlei was the one to back out. I'm going to guess the AC denied his participation for some reason, causing *him* to have to back out.
grappler0000
12/15/10 3:44:53PM

Posted by emfleek

That hasn't been confirmed as far as I know. Chael posted a Twitter message saying something along the lines of, "It's probably for the best...blah blah blah...I would have humiliated you, anyways, blah blah blah." He never stated that Wanderlei was the one to back out. I'm going to guess the AC denied his participation for some reason, causing *him* to have to back out.

People keep mentioning the AC not letting Chael do it, but I can't think of how they could prevent him really. Any ideas? The only thing at all that comes to mind is that they could prevent him from being a cornerman for his fighters, which I guess would defeat the purpose of being a coach if that's the case.
Wallass
12/15/10 4:02:01PM
I believe Chael needs to be relicensed in Nevada for the show? Not entirely sure but that may be why he may not be a good choice. Especially considering I dont think Kizer wil jump at the opportunity to approve Chael without some serious questions being answered.
FlashyG
12/15/10 4:03:34PM
I think the only place the commission would have any say is when it came to the finale.

All the other fights are exhibition fights, so I presume he'd be allowed to coach.

I can't say that for sure though, I'm pretty sure the commission still handles weigh-ins and is present during some fights.

I recall Dana saying something to Junie Browning about how if the commission was there when he jumped the cage to get at Escudero, he'd be banned from fighting on the show.
Twenty20Dollars
12/15/10 4:07:23PM
I think on Mania is said something about if Cruz wins maybe he and Faber would be the coaches and then fight for the title, I think that was just an idea by the writer.

But with Cruz saying he is going to have surgery, I would rule him out as a coach.

Really hope it is not Sonnen, I would rather have frank mir again.
prozacnation1978
12/16/10 9:25:14AM
with dana ruling out the sonnen vs silva and with a annoucement on friday which is right after wec event my guess is faber vs cruz if he wins

i cant come up with anything else
emfleek
12/16/10 9:59:10AM
Maybe Varner/Cerrone? Varner seems to think it would be a good idea...

LINK
Bythar
12/16/10 7:28:26PM
Would Faber/ Miguel Torres not seem more likely?
cowcatcher
12/16/10 8:22:29PM
Winner of Bendo/Showtime vs. winner of Edgar/Maynard to build up that fight. I know it's a longshot, but hear me out. The timing for the announcement works perfectly. Also, it builds up a fight between two guys that aren't that well known to the masses. An argument could be made that none of them are old or experienced enough to coach TUF, but they all train with pretty good/very good camps and would have a solid cast of assistant coaches with them.

Honestly, Faber/anyone makes the most sense though, with Torres being the best choice for the other coach IMO. It's a match that fans have talked about, and want to see, not to mention it would be a pretty good fight, and good exposure for both the guys.