Dana White: ESPN Always Hated the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: ESPN Always Hated the UFC
Next Page »
FastKnockout
8/20/11 5:48:40PM
At the UFC on Fox press conference, UFC President Dana White told the media that the UFC negotiated with "everyone." Every network you could think of, the UFC talked to. (His words, not mine.)

LINK
FastKnockout
8/20/11 5:49:55PM
Very subtle, Mr. White.
Twenty20Dollars
8/20/11 5:56:39PM
always
jae_1833
8/20/11 6:59:09PM
That's too bad it's the final evolution of the sport IMO....that and going even more international with TUF and the acceptance of smaller Orgs as a farm system. After that I think the divisions need to thicken to the point where a real cruiser weight division can be formed without destroying the current HW division.
Sir_Karl
8/20/11 8:20:21PM
ESPN is a joke. They always have been.
Chael_Sonnen
8/20/11 9:17:27PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

ESPN is a joke. They always have been.

Shawn91111
8/20/11 9:40:55PM
I disagree. There is nothing good about Jim Rome
Chael_Sonnen
8/20/11 9:56:15PM

Posted by Shawn91111

For sure, I agreed with everything Dana said EXCEPT the comment about Jim Rome.
Bubbles
8/20/11 10:03:07PM

Posted by Shawn91111

yep, i dont know whats so good about him? his show sucks
Twenty20Dollars
8/20/11 10:16:41PM
Why is Jim Rome always burning
Pookie
8/21/11 12:03:52AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

it gets the people going
Twenty20Dollars
8/21/11 1:41:38AM

Posted by Pookie

it gets the people going

I bet
Kpro
8/21/11 2:21:36AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Chlamydia has a higher rate per capita in Stamford, Connecticut than most other regions of the United States.
isk
8/21/11 12:01:35PM
I liked ESPN a lot during the 90s. They had a kickass anchor lineup at SportsCenter, and while the humor they employed didn't work for some people, it did for me in general (excepting Linda Cohn, who just didn't fit with the rest of the anchors). Their SportsCenter commercials were also rather good, and while I think Chris Berman got a little too much attention based on residual ability and credibility, on the whole I liked that they were trying to do something different than other sports stations and generally succeeded.

Of course, it was a long time before they started carrying primetime, big 3 sports coverage, but I think that's due to the regular TV networks dominating ratings at the time along with the relative and corresponding lack of funding from ABC.

And yeah, most of their SportsCenter anchors have moved on (or been asked to move on). They still have some of their old mainstays, and a few of their newer guys are reliable, but they had something that isn't easily written away by nostalgia.

As for Jim Rome, sure, he has a show on ESPN. But he was on the radio a long time before Rome is Burning - and even then, he had the simpler Jim Rome Show which was worth it if only for the epic, on-air meltdown with Pete Rose - who was originally slated to be a longtime guest host. Whoops.

Anyhow, as usual, Dana's sweeping comments speak more about specific individuals at the top (either at ESPN or ABC) instead of literally everyone at the network hating on MMA. Take Josh Gross - I think he's a bit overly critical and too highbrow at times, but the man loves the fight game and he generally knows what he's talking about.
prozacnation1978
8/21/11 12:53:51PM
Sucks that espn did that.
I really didn't think ufc would have landed on espn at all
Fox is a good fit
yorke3us
8/21/11 6:04:06PM
You can hate on ESPN all you want but the fact of the matter is they're the center of the sports world. It wouldn't be smart for the UFC to burn that bridge but Dana knows they're getting to big to ignore and don't have to cater to ESPN anymore.
ncordless
8/21/11 6:39:24PM
Dana is just mad because he had to field questions from ESPN's Josh Gross at the FOX presser.

Doesn't surprise me. It's really quid pro quo. . . UFC won't give ESPN's writer credentials, ESPN drops its interviews with UFC.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/21/11 7:05:06PM

Posted by yorke3us

You can hate on ESPN all you want but the fact of the matter is they're the center of the sports world. It wouldn't be smart for the UFC to burn that bridge but Dana knows they're getting to big to ignore and don't have to cater to ESPN anymore.

This is the most untrue statement in the entire world. ESPN is NOT the center of the sports world. As a sports journalist, I am here to tell you that more people hate ESPN in the industry than like them.

I am not talking about specific ESPN employees, but rather the company as a whole. ESPN is known for standing by absolutely horrible employees and treating their better employees like garbage.

If you need evidence of this, you only need to look at the fact that ESPN has stood by Berman, Tony Kornheiser, Michelle Beadle, and Craig James while throwing Bruce Feldman under the bus.

If you want to know how bad the national backlash was for the Bruce Feldman incident, I'll give you a frame of reference. ESPN suspended Feldman for, LITERALLY, nothing the same night that the second Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out.

#FreeBruce was the number one trending topic on Twitter that night, even surpassing #HarryPotter. That should tell you something right there.

SportsByBrooks does a great job of pointing out the hypocrisies, plagiarism, and idiocy going on in Bristol.

When the Bruce Feldman thing happened, it wasn't just smaller journalists such as myself that were pissed, HUGE writers like Bryan Fischer, Andy Staples, Darren Rovell, and Peter King boycotted ESPN and cancelled their insider subscription.

ESPN is known for hijacking smaller journalists' articles and passing them off as their own without any sort of credit. If people actually think that ESPN is the CENTER of the sports world, it's because they don't care enough to get their information from other sports outlets that are, probably, more reliable and cover stories more accurately than ESPN's agenda-based reporting.
Shawn91111
8/21/11 7:08:44PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by yorke3us

This is the most untrue statement in the entire world. ESPN is NOT the center of the sports world. As a sports journalist, I am here to tell you that more people hate ESPN in the industry than like them.

I am not talking about specific ESPN employees, but rather the company as a whole. ESPN is known for standing by absolutely horrible employees and treating their better employees like garbage.

If you need evidence of this, you only need to look at the fact that ESPN has stood by Berman, Tony Kornheiser, Michelle Beadle, and Craig James while throwing Bruce Feldman under the bus.

If you want to know how bad the national backlash was for the Bruce Feldman incident, I'll give you a frame of reference. ESPN suspended Feldman for, LITERALLY, nothing the same night that the second Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out.

#FreeBruce was the number one trending topic on Twitter that night, even surpassing #HarryPotter. That should tell you something right there.

SportsByBrooks does a great job of pointing out the hypocrisies, plagiarism, and idiocy going on in Bristol.

When the Bruce Feldman thing happened, it wasn't just smaller journalists such as myself that were pissed, HUGE writers like Bryan Fischer, Andy Staples, Darren Rovell, and Peter King boycotted ESPN and cancelled their insider subscription.

ESPN is known for hijacking smaller journalists' articles and passing them off as their own without any sort of credit. If people actually think that ESPN is the CENTER of the sports world, it's because they don't care enough to get their information from other sports outlets that are, probably, more reliable and cover stories more accurately than ESPN's agenda-based reporting.

Yep it is
bjj1605
8/21/11 10:53:54PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by yorke3us

Yep it is

Ya... maybe its a dark stinky center, but its still the center.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/22/11 6:30:18PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Yep it is

Posted by bjj1605

We will have to agree to disagree. I haven't watched ESPN since July 13th and I seem to be doing just fine without it. I haven't visited their website either.

To me, the center implies that the rest of it cannot exist without the center. Sports would be just fine without ESPN. As a matter of fact, ESPN has failed to break the biggest stories lately. Y'all just think they did.

The Ohio St. and Auburn scandals were broken by Brooks (SPORTSbyBROOKS)

Article

article

Article

Yahoo! Sports broke the Miami/Nevin Shapiro scandal.

Article

Dan Wetzel, Jeff Passan, and Josh Peter broke the BCS Scandal

Book

Andy Staples of Sports Illustrated helped to uncover the Fiesta Bowl scandal along with the Arizona Republic

Article

You see what's missing here? ESPN. They aren't the center of anything. They're just the biggest name and because you hear the story on their network, you think they uncovered it.

They never give credit to anyone that actually breaks the story and pass them off as their own stories. People automatically assume that, because it's on ESPN, it MUST have been them who did all the work to uncover the story.

If ESPN were the "center" of the sports world, I wouldn't be able to do my job or enjoy sports without them, yet I do. They're the biggest name, but they are not the center.

ESPN doesn't even have game rights to all the major sports. They gave up the NHL years ago and they get 1 NFL game per week. Even ABC doesn't have the NFL.

The biggest thing that ESPN has a market on is college football. They're the biggest college football provider on television, but on the whole, ESPN lacks the rights to plenty of sports and now they won't even have access to the UFC if Dana decides otherwise.
Shawn91111
8/22/11 6:48:36PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Shawn91111

Yep it is

Posted by bjj1605

We will have to agree to disagree. I haven't watched ESPN since July 13th and I seem to be doing just fine without it. I haven't visited their website either.

To me, the center implies that the rest of it cannot exist without the center. Sports would be just fine without ESPN. As a matter of fact, ESPN has failed to break the biggest stories lately. Y'all just think they did.

The Ohio St. and Auburn scandals were broken by Brooks (SPORTSbyBROOKS)

Article

article

Article

Yahoo! Sports broke the Miami/Nevin Shapiro scandal.

Article

Dan Wetzel, Jeff Passan, and Josh Peter broke the BCS Scandal

Book

Andy Staples of Sports Illustrated helped to uncover the Fiesta Bowl scandal along with the Arizona Republic

Article

You see what's missing here? ESPN. They aren't the center of anything. They're just the biggest name and because you hear the story on their network, you think they uncovered it.

They never give credit to anyone that actually breaks the story and pass them off as their own stories. People automatically assume that, because it's on ESPN, it MUST have been them who did all the work to uncover the story.

If ESPN were the "center" of the sports world, I wouldn't be able to do my job or enjoy sports without them, yet I do. They're the biggest name, but they are not the center.

ESPN doesn't even have game rights to all the major sports. They gave up the NHL years ago and they get 1 NFL game per week. Even ABC doesn't have the NFL.

The biggest thing that ESPN has a market on is college football. They're the biggest college football provider on television, but on the whole, ESPN lacks the rights to plenty of sports and now they won't even have access to the UFC if Dana decides otherwise.

You're bitching about ESPN on a professional level which is different than 95% of the people who watch it for what it is. To provide up to date highlights and scores etc. That is why its the center of the sports world, not because they treated so and so like shiit and they failed to break a story
BlueSkiesBurn
8/22/11 6:56:12PM

Posted by Shawn91111

You're bitching about ESPN on a professional level which is different than 95% of the people who watch it for what it is. To provide up to date highlights and scores etc. That is why its the center of the sports world, not because they treated so and so like shiit and they failed to break a story

So the entire crux of your argument is that because ESPN provides highlights and scores, they're the center of the sports world? Um, I can get those things on CBS, Yahoo, CNN, and a multitude of other sites.

Once again, as I said in my last post, I haven't looked at ESPN in almost a month and half, yet I don't seem to miss any scores or highlights.
Shawn91111
8/22/11 7:05:19PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Shawn91111

So the entire crux of your argument is that because ESPN provides highlights and scores, they're the center of the sports world? Um, I can get those things on CBS, Yahoo, CNN, and a multitude of other sites.

Once again, as I said in my last post, I haven't looked at ESPN in almost a month and half, yet I don't seem to miss any scores or highlights.

You do, but the population says otherwise.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/22/11 11:04:09PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Shawn91111

No, other people use Yahoo!, CBS, and CNN for that stuff or their writers wouldn't have jobs. ESPN isn't the only place to get things and they're usually using information from those places in their stories.

So, de facto, if ESPN is using a Yahoo! article for a SportSCenter feature like, I don't know, the Miami story that was broken by Yahoo!, you're getting your information from Yahoo!, not ESPN.
Shawn91111
8/23/11 1:26:21AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Shawn91111

No, other people use Yahoo!, CBS, and CNN for that stuff or their writers wouldn't have jobs. ESPN isn't the only place to get things and they're usually using information from those places in their stories.

So, de facto, if ESPN is using a Yahoo! article for a SportSCenter feature like, I don't know, the Miami story that was broken by Yahoo!, you're getting your information from Yahoo!, not ESPN.

Again you're taking it way out of context with the stories, who is writing what, who broke what big story. The ratings for the 18-54 demo about sports, where people tune into get their sports is ESPN, hence why it was said ESPN is still the center of it.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/23/11 4:50:29PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Again you're taking it way out of context with the stories, who is writing what, who broke what big story. The ratings for the 18-54 demo about sports, where people tune into get their sports is ESPN, hence why it was said ESPN is still the center of it.

It's not out of context, man. It's stating the simple facts. The readers may "get the news" from ESPN, but they're getting the "actual news" from a variety of other sources.

You're framing it in your "own" context by saying that, just because they get the info from ESPN, they're the center. Being the center of something implies a lot more than just ratings. By your logic, National Treasure 2 and Gnomeo and Juliet are amazing movies and the center of the film industry because they were the number 1 movies in America.
Shawn91111
8/23/11 6:53:20PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Shawn91111

It's not out of context, man. It's stating the simple facts. The readers may "get the news" from ESPN, but they're getting the "actual news" from a variety of other sources.

You're framing it in your "own" context by saying that, just because they get the info from ESPN, they're the center. Being the center of something implies a lot more than just ratings. By your logic, National Treasure 2 and Gnomeo and Juliet are amazing movies and the center of the film industry because they were the number 1 movies in America.

Have they been the number 1 movie in america for decades? No, Espn has been at the top of the sports world for a long time, hence they are the center. Sorry man
BlueSkiesBurn
8/23/11 6:58:06PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Have they been the number 1 movie in america for decades? No, Espn has been at the top of the sports world for a long time, hence they are the center. Sorry man

Like I said, you focus on ratings, I'll focus on content and what they provide to the world of sports. There's more than one way to "rate" something.

In my opinion, ESPN is absolutely worthless and I don't use them. I do just fine without them and a lot of other people do as well. Just because they are the highest rated sports entity in the U.S. doesn't mean that they are at the center of my, or a lot of people I know, life.
Shawn91111
8/23/11 7:13:43PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Shawn91111

Like I said, you focus on ratings, I'll focus on content and what they provide to the world of sports. There's more than one way to "rate" something.

In my opinion, ESPN is absolutely worthless and I don't use them. I do just fine without them and a lot of other people do as well. Just because they are the highest rated sports entity in the U.S. doesn't mean that they are at the center of my, or a lot of people I know, life.

As I said ratings suggest otherwise. You're looking it from your job point of view, and from who gets what story and from where. A good portion of people dont look at it that way.
Pages: [1] 2