Dana White: Cro Cop’s Camp Wanted to “Milk” Contract

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Cro Cop’s Camp Wanted to “Milk” Contract
Manfred
4/24/07 9:46:07AM
Dana White: Cro Cop’s Camp Wanted to “Milk” Contract
Posted by UFC Junkie on April 24, 2007 at 8:46 am ET
Newly acquired UFC heavyweight and former PRIDE champion Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and his camp wanted to “milk” their contract by putting off a title shot, which led to his upset loss to Gabriel Gonzaga at this past weekend’s UFC 70 event, according to UFC president Dana White.

White made the statement to a reporter for an latimes.com story published last night.

According to the report, it wasn’t the UFC’s sole decision to delay Filipovic’s potential title shot with UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture. In fact, White said the decision came from Filipovic’s camp, which wanted to draw out the contract — probably in hopes that the fighter could score a lucrative contract renewal if he became champion.

Rest of article
MisFiT
4/24/07 1:58:46PM
Thats MMA for you. Anything can happen. And this is bullshit. Now what if Gonzaga beats Couture? Hahaaa.
Lay_N_Pray
4/24/07 3:11:09PM
That would seem like a smart thing to do, but I guess Gonzaga had other plans.

Its probably a good thing Rampage decided not to go that route. Who knows maybe he would have lost to a guy like Lambert in something in what would seem to be a step up fight.
chris_armour
4/24/07 3:44:49PM
From what I have heard Rampage did kind of want to go that route but the UFC didn't give him the option. They needed a challenger for Chuck and he is about all they have at the moment. However wth guys like Rashad, Jardine and Lambert winning, that shouldn't be a problem in the future.
chris_armour
4/24/07 3:53:48PM
As far as Mirko trying to milk his contract goes I would not be suprised if that is true. He said from the very beginning that he intended to have two fights and then win the title so that he couls have a champions match with Fedor. He seemed to think (as did pretty much everyone else) that he would just walk right through all the competition in the UFC. It would make sense that he would want to beat the hell out of a few guys before getting his shot, that way is they didn't pay him more he could threaten to leave and they would lose their "best" heavyweight. However now with the loss to Gonzaga, CC's plans will probably be changed up quite a bit.
BigWilly
4/24/07 5:09:27PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

That would seem like a smart thing to do, but I guess Gonzaga had other plans.

Its probably a good thing Rampage decided not to go that route. Who knows maybe he would have lost to a guy like Lambert in something in what would seem to be a step up fight.

Yea Rampage said himself thast he wanted a few more fights before chuck...