Dana White: UFC Will "Probably" Create Official Rankings

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: UFC Will "Probably" Create Official Rankings
DCRage
2/5/08 10:43:13AM
Dana White about-faces again. After saying UFC would never create their own official fighter rankings, he says UFC "probably" will now do that, even though it may not be anytime soon.

Article
prozacnation1978
2/5/08 11:51:47AM
they need to every mma site is different but very familiar, they need a ufc top 10 only, i think alot of fans on this site including myself have their top 10 i do that i change every month, but i do that to see where everyone is at, if the ufc did that then i would know more where the fighters stand in terms of title shot and contender status which should be given to top 5 in each weight class. dana always likes to rip to rankings well now is your time to make you own and watch it get ripped
ocho-cinco
2/5/08 1:38:56PM
I think this is a good idea in theory, but would just create to much whining. Like prozacnation1978 said, mabey just a top 10, or even just a top 5 would be ok. Ranking lower then that would be to hard, and as a result unfair to alot of fighters. It's not perfect the way it is, but it wouldn't be perfect with a ranking system either. I think they should just leave it alone.
Ordep
2/5/08 1:46:07PM
IMO

It will be nice based on Fan Polls .... but this might cause some crazy results(e.g. Chuck will probably be ranked higher than Rampage) but I think we will see the same results if they do it themselves. That's why I dont believe in rankings other that "FAVORITES" ones.

#1 in an organization is whoever holds the belt at the given time, the rest (#2,#3 etc.) it's just almost impossible to establish due to the nature of this sport (i.e. we know all the upsets and all that) and the amount of talent present in a certain division (e.g. 205).

IMO
nickcuc547
2/5/08 1:55:26PM
this has it's positives and negatives. on the negative side, rankings are very opinionated and arbitrary. on the positive side it gives each division more clarity and maps out for each fighter what they need to do to move up and get a title shot. to be honest with you, the positives may outweigh the negatives imo.
mrsmiley
2/5/08 2:35:46PM
I'm really not too thrilled about this idea as of right now for most the reasons mentioned above.The only way I could see it being done fairly is if you start every fighter from scratch and base their rankings on fights that happen only after the creation of the official rankings.

I know that don't sound appealling,but I think that would be a fair way to make sure every fighter got ranked equally.
jae_1833
2/5/08 4:50:06PM
I don't think that Dana or the UFC should do it, an org that unifies MMA rules Nat and Intl should. That same org could do the ratings as well...otherwise it is just too easy for people's opinions to get in the way (yes mine included).
quezocrema0032
2/5/08 10:00:00PM
Just seems 2 me that it gives us more 2 talk about thats all ... more for people 2 complain about ...
cmill21
2/5/08 10:33:22PM
I think it's a bad idea. There are enough rankings, if the UFC creates them people will just accuse the UFC of being bias.
telnights
2/5/08 10:57:03PM
I thought they need to do this a long time ago so we know who is next in line for tittle shots and so on.
Kracker_Jap
2/5/08 11:38:26PM

Posted by cmill21

I think it's a bad idea. There are enough rankings, if the UFC creates them people will just accuse the UFC of being bias.

I think that is the point The UFC will have there own fighters on a ranking system, Makes sence to me
Boo_Radley21
2/5/08 11:44:37PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by cmill21

I think that is the point The UFC will have there own fighters on a ranking system, Makes sence to me

I agree. If they're making rankings it will probably be UFC rankings and they won't concern themselves with other fighters. It would help to see where fighters are at with stuff like title contention and what not. I don't really see how it could be biased if they only use their own fighters,
cmill21
2/6/08 12:10:41AM
See to me it will be to weird. They have guys like Jardine who KO'd Forrest and beat Chuck but Forrest gets the shot and if chuck wins his next fight he'll get one, I honestly have no idea how this will show us anything but who the UFC likes more.
ufcboss
2/6/08 5:50:34AM
All they need to do is pay for the MMAPLAYGROUND rankings, We got it covered, And we got the Fan Favourite rankings too.

I can hear it now, Goldberg saying "And now time for the UFC MMAPLAYGROUND ranking's, MMAPLAYGROUND the only website Worthy of being in the octagon"

Long live the playground, Helping me get through the working day, Every day!
madfrog0
2/6/08 11:52:39AM
???