Dana White comments on Floyd Mayweather Jr.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana White comments on Floyd Mayweather Jr.
randyleprechaun
4/4/07 4:08:43PM
Irritated by the criticism pugilist Floyd Mayweather Jr. made about MMA and the UFC, and mainly Chuck Liddell, White went public in defending his brood.

“Mayweather said he would give a million dollars if Chuck would defeat a good boxing heavyweight. What about paying one million to see if a good heavyweight can stand up to Liddell in MMA? Or even better, I will put down a milllion dollars of my own money
if Mayweather could sell 10 tickets without the help of Oscar de la Hoya,” said White, referring to the fight between Mayweather and De La Hoya, a success in terms of spectators, set for May 5th.

After his irritation had subsided White talked of the initial comparison Mayweather had made: “Boxing and MMA are completely different. You distribute your weight differently, since you have to worry about takedowns and kicks. Boxing and MMA are like apples and oranges,” he completed.

source: http://www.graciemag.com/?c=144&a=6785
Stickan
4/4/07 4:14:32PM
Good find. Thanks

Good that Dana stands up for the sport. I like him more and more.
the-james
4/4/07 4:52:49PM
"will put down a milllion dollars of my own money
if Mayweather could sell 10 tickets without the help of Oscar de la Hoya" lol completely true ,, boxing islmost a dead sport and mayweather soule realize that
Fumar-Fortiuse
4/4/07 5:00:33PM
Ok, I understand where you guys are coming from. Mayweather shouldn't of said the things he said but Dana White doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I can promise you guys that Mayweather doesn't need Oscar to sell his fight. If you guys pay any attention to boxing Mayweather could be one of if not the greatest of all time. The kid is undefeated with over forty fights under is belt. Rather you like boxing or not you have to respect that. And I have to be honest if Mayweather could make Lidell's weight I would take that bet and put up a million bucks I don't even have. You guys might think Chuck is the greatest thing since sliced bread but if he were to stand with Mayweather I'm happy to say he would get laid out in an Octagon or a Ring. Hell I would hate to take a punch from Mayweather with just a 6 ounce glove.
Fumar-Fortiuse
4/4/07 5:16:18PM
My bad guys I messed up Mayweather's stats. He is 37-0 with 24 kos. Pretty sick if you ask me.
pv3Hpv3p
4/4/07 5:25:24PM

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

Ok, I understand where you guys are coming from. Mayweather shouldn't of said the things he said but Dana White doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I can promise you guys that Mayweather doesn't need Oscar to sell his fight. If you guys pay any attention to boxing Mayweather could be one of if not the greatest of all time. The kid is undefeated with over forty fights under is belt. Rather you like boxing or not you have to respect that. And I have to be honest if Mayweather could make Lidell's weight I would take that bet and put up a million bucks I don't even have. You guys might think Chuck is the greatest thing since sliced bread but if he were to stand with Mayweather I'm happy to say he would get laid out in an Octagon or a Ring. Hell I would hate to take a punch from Mayweather with just a 6 ounce glove.

i think Dana was referring to alot of flack that Mayweather got for riding out the decision with Baldomir (sp?)... MMA and Boxing fans may not have a lot in common, but no one likes to see a supremely talented fighter run around a ring for the last 15 min of a fight just to get the W.

And Dana does make a very good point... It's not as simple as boxing, you have to distribute your weight differently, and cannot rely solely on striking, w/o acknowledging the possibility of a TD...
zephead
4/4/07 5:39:19PM

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

Mayweather is a great boxer. BOXER that is. I would love to see Mayweather step into the octagon and take Liddell on in a MMA fight.I'd bet a million on LIddell. In a boxing match, I would take Mayweather.
nubby
4/4/07 5:42:52PM
How about boxing with no gloves. I'd take Liddell.
loller90278
4/4/07 5:53:55PM
mayweather would whoop liddel cage or ring.. liddel is mostly one dimensional and leans towards striking..

if mayweather fought shogun or someone more well rounded he would definatly lose
Trapt1nw0nder
4/4/07 6:11:15PM
Hmmm...Floyd(natural lightweight 140lbs) or Liddell (natural 215 more less)...thats pretty unfair for an MMA match........i would like to see Floyd against someone like Spencer Fisher,or Jens Pulver or even Gomi........I would put my money on Floyd...

That guy is quick....his fight will prolly look like when Mark Hominick fought Jorge Gurgel at Fight Night 5......when Hominick picked Gurgel apart from the outside and Gurgel could never even get close to him........alot of people saw it as Hominick being a coward,but that was the best gameplan for him to come up with the W.......
Lay_N_Pray
4/4/07 6:34:40PM
Mayweather is a world class fighter, im sure he could knock out Gomi, Pulver, and Fisher.

But kudos to Dana White for hitting Mayweather right back. UFC is not gonna get trash talked by a sport should be taking notes from MMA.
Mastodon2
4/4/07 6:38:19PM

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

In no way is Mayweather the greatest boxer of all time. Boxing has way to much emphasis on the record, because its a way to sell fighters to ignorant fans. Record isnt everything. As good as he is, Mayweather isnt Ali. He isnt Sugar Ray Leonard, Rocky Marciano or Jake Lamotta.
Trapt1nw0nder
4/4/07 7:20:18PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

In no way is Mayweather the greatest boxer of all time. Boxing has way to much emphasis on the record, because its a way to sell fighters to ignorant fans. Record isnt everything. As good as he is, Mayweather isnt Ali. He isnt Sugar Ray Leonard, Rocky Marciano or Jake Lamotta.

I think Mayweather is better than those you mentioned(not in the same weight class though) but pound for pound this guy is great!...of course Jake,Rocky,and Ali were tough,but when it comes to skill the sport has changed....same with MMA....I just think todays fighters are something else compared to back then
Stickan
4/4/07 7:40:57PM

Posted by loller90278

mayweather would whoop liddel cage or ring.. liddel is mostly one dimensional and leans towards striking..

if mayweather fought shogun or someone more well rounded he would definatly lose

Seriously? If they fought right now in an MMA match!? You don't think Chuck has a head on his shoulders that he can think with? He would ******* break Mayweathers legs with low kicks. Especially with that reach and weight advantage.
thepitbull00
4/4/07 8:08:33PM
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. who?
Exactly.
Trapt1nw0nder
4/4/07 8:15:14PM

Posted by thepitbull00

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Exactly.

I dont get it...
thepitbull00
4/4/07 8:18:55PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by thepitbull00

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Exactly.

I dont get it...

It means "who is this Floyd Mayweather Jr. guy I keep hearing about" as in I don't know who he is, as in he's not famous, as in your a little below average in pretty much every department of life.
Trapt1nw0nder
4/4/07 8:43:54PM

Posted by thepitbull00

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by thepitbull00

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Exactly.

I dont get it...

It means "who is this Floyd Mayweather Jr. guy I keep hearing about" as in I don't know who he is, as in he's not famous, as in your a little below average in pretty much every department of life.

.......I dont get it..
thepitbull00
4/4/07 9:37:35PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by thepitbull00

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by thepitbull00

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Exactly.

I dont get it...

.......I dont get it..

I really don't think I should have to explain a joke I saw on a Pinky and The Brain rerun but I do appreciate the humor of your innocent stupidity.
AlmightyThor
4/4/07 10:14:15PM

Posted by thepitbull00

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by thepitbull00

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by thepitbull00

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Exactly.

I dont get it...

.......I dont get it..

I really don't think I should have to explain a joke I saw on a Pinky and The Brain rerun but I do appreciate the humor of your innocent stupidity.

i dont get it
hippysmacker
4/4/07 10:40:24PM
I'm sure Dana is just exaggerating the point about Mayweather's drawing power. I agree he wouldn't sell anywhere near as many PPV's without DelaHoya though . As for Mayweather in an MMA fight againt any good well rounded MMA fighter his own weight, he would lose by GnP. If they were to box him they would be in trouble. If it were even a good Mua-thai or K-1 guy his own size he would lose IMO. Straight boxing is one thing. Standup is another. If he fought a bigger stronger guy like Chuck/ Vitor in boxing he would lose also. Mayweather's ridiculous comments spawned Dana's ridiculous comments. All the more reason why exaggeration in the puiblic eye is silly. Personally I would love to see Mayweather fight Kid Yamamoto in a MMA match and watch the little guy pummel him. It will never happen though. Mayweather isn't that dumb. This is all just hyperbole to me.I like boxing , but I think it needs a dominant heavyweight to make it's way back in the public eye. There's enough room for both sports.
ManBeast
4/5/07 4:54:36PM

Posted by AlmightyThor

Posted by thepitbull00

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by thepitbull00

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by thepitbull00

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Exactly.

I dont get it...

.......I dont get it..

i dont get it

screw you guy's Im hijacking this thread!

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!

back on subject, how come noone mentions Roy Jones Jr? , I'll admit its been a while since I've been in the boxing scene but that guy did pretty well in 3 weightclasses and wasnt he considered pound for pound one of the best?
Trapt1nw0nder
4/5/07 5:25:23PM

Posted by ManBeast

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!

back on subject, how come noone mentions Roy Jones Jr? , I'll admit its been a while since I've been in the boxing scene but that guy did pretty well in 3 weightclasses and wasnt he considered pound for pound one of the best?

He was...till his style got burnt out......he just doesnt keep his hands up..he depended too much on his quickness,but retreating with your hands down is only asking for a straight right hand........he's great,but not a mayweather.

I would still put Roy in my top 5 P4P..
ManBeast
4/5/07 5:29:16PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by ManBeast

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!

He was...till his style got burnt out......he just doesnt keep his hands up..he depended too much on his quickness,but retreating with your hands down is only asking for a straight right hand........he's great,but not a mayweather.

I would still put Roy in my top 5 P4P..

yeah, it happens. I still love his fights though, because he acts like such a douchebag openly taunting and dancing around the ring. plus the great knockdown punch he laids on Toney, hook line and sinker.