Dana White: UFC Close to Utilizing 5-Round Non-Title Fights

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: UFC Close to Utilizing 5-Round Non-Title Fights
kopower
4/29/11 6:01:18PM
Five-round fights are currently reserved only for championship bouts in the UFC, but that may not be the case for long.

On Friday, UFC President Dana White discussed the possibility of big -- but not title -- fights using the 25-minute time limit.

“We’re very close to [implementing five-round non-title fights]” White revealed during the Fan Expo Q&A session while promoting UFC 129.

The extra two rounds for important fights would likely help to prevent those bouts from ending in draws, as in the recent case of B.J. Penn and Jon Fitch at UFC 127 in February. However, the UFC boss says he had another bout in mind for the promotion's inaugural foray into five-rounders without a title on the line. “We were actually going to start it with Brock Lesnar and Junior dos Santos [at UFC 131], but we had already made the fight,” White said. “But we already made the fight, so it’s kind of hard to go back to those guys after you already make the fight and say that it is going to be five [rounds] instead of three.”

Though the UFC head has discussed the topic of five and even seven-round fights in the past, this appears to be the most serious iteration of that discussion. Though White has also expressed his desire to see seven-round title fights, that topic was not broached on Friday.
Link
kopower
4/29/11 6:03:16PM
I say make it happen for high profile fights
postman
4/29/11 6:10:29PM
Real high level fighters need 5 rounds to figure out the winner 3 just isn't enough
Budgellism
4/29/11 6:29:36PM

Posted by postman

Real high level fighters need 5 rounds to figure out the winner 3 just isn't enough

Agreed.
Twenty20Dollars
4/29/11 6:29:53PM
I'm still on the fence about this situation, Idk we'll see.
jjeans
4/29/11 7:39:34PM
I think main events only. No matter who, every event. Fight Night Cards etc, no point having fighters in main events like Diego Sanchez with a face as bad as it was, and thinking he could run for a title. Same thing for Phil Davis, it gives any person who's competing at deep ends of the division a chance to get used to and be forced to prepare for a 5 round fight.

I am all for this!
Lets look back at the last UFC events

Davis Lil Nog 2 prospects, which went to a decision
Shogun Jones no difference
Sanchez Kampmann, maybe a confirmed Corner Stoppage finish
Penn Fitch. Fitch would have won enough rounds to over a gassed BJ.
Silva Belfort no difference
Dunham Melvin. No difference
125 + 124 No difference
TUF Finale, we will never know
123, this is what started the whole idea
122. Would have changed the fight completely
121. no difference
120. Would have changed the fight
119. No difference

It either changes the fight, the result, or doesn't change anything
ncordless
4/29/11 7:41:47PM
Great move!! I hope it happens.
Bloodhound
4/29/11 7:45:44PM
Love the idea
prozacnation1978
4/29/11 8:58:51PM
I say do it. First one may be evans vs davis in aug
Budgellism
4/29/11 9:16:50PM
I love the idea of every main event being a 5 round fight. Like it's been said before if some past headliners were 5 round fights we could have some more decisive outcomes instead. Also there's the fact that a lot of guys don't handle their first championship fight all that well because they're in very unfamiliar territory. With this we can have guys get that 5 round experience/the training for 5 rounds experience. That and it gives that special feeling to a card. I don't see many negatives to the idea to be honest with you.
Twenty20Dollars
4/29/11 9:41:07PM
It's going to vary, some fights need the two more rounds and other fights we don't want to see any more. Like Diego/Kampmann, but like Marquardt/Okami no.
FastKnockout
4/29/11 9:50:09PM
Rematches I'd like to see after five round non-title fights legalization:

Rashad Evans vs. Rampage

B.J Penn vs. Jon Fitch

Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida

Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

Leonard Garcia vs. Nam Phan

Just to name a few.
Lesnar1
4/29/11 10:47:51PM
This is a good idea for non title megafights.
telnights
4/29/11 11:02:19PM
I think this is a great move on the UFC's part.
Twenty20Dollars
4/29/11 11:15:40PM
Wonder if any co-main events will get it. I'd rather see Lil Nog/Franklin be a 5er than Rashad/Davis
dreius
4/29/11 11:32:01PM
I have no idea how this will be handled, but in my opinion I would love to see 10 round title fights and 7 or 8 round for everything else. I also would like to see the rounds changed to three minutes.

Pros:
More rounds might smooth out some of the difficulty with judging.
The smaller amount of time will give the fighters more opportunity to catch their breath and not get gassed.
There is also the possibility that a fighter will be able to change their game plans throughout and possibly win a fight that they would have lost with less rounds.
I think of Phil Davis when I look at this. If he wouldn't have switched to a single leg in rounds two and three he probably would have lost his fight. This gives rise to having the corners help remind the fighters of changes they need to make.

Cons:
Is three minutes enough time for grappling. This is my own biggest critique, because sometimes it can take a minute or two in order to establish a position, which will leave little or no time for a submission or significant ground and pound.

I'm just musing, so feel free to hate my ideas. I'm just curious what others think.
tepid55
4/30/11 12:21:04AM
I like the idea of some big, non-tiitle fights being 5-round fights.
DeadHead988
4/30/11 1:25:09AM
bjj1605
4/30/11 2:36:13AM
I'm going to suggest that low profile fights be one round.
jay98107
4/30/11 3:51:23AM

Posted by jjeans

I think main events only. No matter who, every event. Fight Night Cards etc, no point having fighters in main events like Diego Sanchez with a face as bad as it was, and thinking he could run for a title. Same thing for Phil Davis, it gives any person who's competing at deep ends of the division a chance to get used to and be forced to prepare for a 5 round fight.

I am all for this!
Lets look back at the last UFC events

Davis Lil Nog 2 prospects, which went to a decision
Shogun Jones no difference
Sanchez Kampmann, maybe a confirmed Corner Stoppage finish
Penn Fitch. Fitch would have won enough rounds to over a gassed BJ.
Silva Belfort no difference
Dunham Melvin. No difference
125 + 124 No difference
TUF Finale, we will never know
123, this is what started the whole idea
122. Would have changed the fight completely
121. no difference
120. Would have changed the fight
119. No difference

It either changes the fight, the result, or doesn't change anything

I don't think that Lil Nog or Shogun are considered prospects anymore.
Chael_Sonnen
4/30/11 4:21:43AM
warglory
4/30/11 9:12:04AM

Posted by dreius

I have no idea how this will be handled, but in my opinion I would love to see 10 round title fights and 7 or 8 round for everything else. I also would like to see the rounds changed to three minutes.

Pros:
More rounds might smooth out some of the difficulty with judging.
The smaller amount of time will give the fighters more opportunity to catch their breath and not get gassed.
There is also the possibility that a fighter will be able to change their game plans throughout and possibly win a fight that they would have lost with less rounds.
I think of Phil Davis when I look at this. If he wouldn't have switched to a single leg in rounds two and three he probably would have lost his fight. This gives rise to having the corners help remind the fighters of changes they need to make.

Cons:
Is three minutes enough time for grappling. This is my own biggest critique, because sometimes it can take a minute or two in order to establish a position, which will leave little or no time for a submission or significant ground and pound.

I'm just musing, so feel free to hate my ideas. I'm just curious what others think.

I think you nailed it, grappling would be severely inhibited by 3 rounds.
Boo_Radley21
4/30/11 10:19:15AM
Awesome. Definitely want to see BJ vs Fitch 2 as a 5 rounder
TeamDEY
4/30/11 4:15:15PM
needs to happen
Bustamante-Aoki
5/1/11 4:11:12AM
It's not really fair to just decide some fights should be 5 rounds and others 3. Unless they say all title-contender matches are 5 rounds, or something like that. Why should BJ get 5 rounds, but Koscheck only 3, besides the fact that BJ is more exciting (which isn't a valid reason in a legitimate sport)

And I like BJ, and don't like Koscheck, but that besides the point.

I don't think it's necessary either. If you want fights to be more decisive their are other ways besides lengthening them.

Even BW's can't go 15 minutes full steam. Fighters have to pace themselves. The longer the fight, the more a fighter has to pace himself, which means less action.

5/1/11 11:07:48AM
I like the idea, but not if they're gonna pick and choose who they put in these fights on a whim. They need some kind of ranking system in place (which i doubt they're willing to employ) so that all the guys that are within title contention get treated fairly.