Dana White: Chuck Liddell needs to ‘dazzle me’ at UFC 97 to keep fighting

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Chuck Liddell needs to ‘dazzle me’ at UFC 97 to keep fighting
SmileR
3/15/09 2:12:00AM
I’ve made it very clear to Chuck. Very clear. It’s not about money, it’s not about this, that. Chuck is one of my good friends. Chuck (has) cemented his legacy in the UFC and in the fight game. I’m not even saying if he wins, unless he looks incredibly impressive (in Montreal) - I mean, he’s going to have to go out there and dazzle me, for me to want Chuck to still fight. I love him, and I don’t want to see what I saw in his last fight ever again.”

UFC President Dana White has an interesting take on the future of his good friend — and perhaps still his biggest draw — former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell. “Iceman” got iced bad his last time out, sustaining a vicious knockout courtesy of Rashad Evans at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” in September 2008. It marked the third loss in four fights for the San Luis Obispo, Calif., resident and the second brutal knockout during that span. He next fights former Pride FC wrecking machine Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in the co main event at UFC 97: “Redemption” from the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada, on April 18. It should be interesting to see how the cool and calm Liddell responds to White turning up the heat while he’s possibly in the twilight of his legendary career. Hmmm ….

Link

Full interview
prozacnation1978
3/15/09 2:21:36AM
ouch!!!!!!!!

what are friends for.... i wish i had dana as my best buddy for encouragement like that
lohmann
3/15/09 2:39:22AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

ouch!!!!!!!!

what are friends for.... i wish i had dana as my best buddy for encouragement like that

I disagree. What White said came off as something a friend would say. As a businessman, White would want Liddell to keep going, but as a friend, who would want to see their buddy get beat up constantly in their decline?
Manfred
3/15/09 3:22:22AM
I think it's unreasonable to expect Chuck to "dazzle" him against someone like Shogun.

He might get the win, but Shogun (even if he is gassed before the stare down) is too skilled and tough to be an easy KO
EvenFlow
3/15/09 4:07:31AM
If Chuck loses a close fight he'll be back again, I think what Dana is really saying is if you get KO'd I'm probably going to pull you. I think thats what a real friend would do in Dana's situation and wanting to do whats best for Chucks health not his career. Hes pretty well off and has 3 ways on a regular, I'm sure he'll be fine without fighting.
sparky
3/15/09 6:32:57AM
Dana dont want to see his boy seriously messed up forever!!! Being the #1 Chuck Liddell fan in the world that kinda hurts to hear but I understand where Dana is coming from because if that was one of my best buddies id never want to watch them get smoked either!!!

Chuck has nothing to prove anymore. But dont try to convince him that!!!!
mrsmiley
3/15/09 8:22:56AM
Considering Shoguns last 2 performances it's going to be hard for Liddell not to "dazzle" Dana White, imo.
But we'll wait and see.
nickcuc547
3/15/09 9:39:57AM

Posted by Manfred

I think it's unreasonable to expect Chuck to "dazzle" him against someone like Shogun.

He might get the win, but Shogun (even if he is gassed before the stare down) is too skilled and tough to be an easy KO

no it's not, if the crappy shogun who fought coleman shows up chuck needs to win by ko/tko, and probably early. if the shogun of old shows up, any kind of win by chuck will be impressive.
StPierreCanada
3/15/09 9:57:25AM
Wow, didn't think I would ever hear Dana say that about Chuck.
tmas
3/15/09 10:31:29AM
chuck will lose chuck will be gone. buh bye
LakieMan
3/15/09 10:50:59AM
I knew it would'nt be long before Dana made a statement such as this, I love Chuck but I do agree with Dana he needs to do something at 97.
Darnok
3/15/09 11:47:13AM
If Dana lets him go how long until you hear that he is with Affliction. I think 2 seconds.
Wallass
3/15/09 11:55:23AM
I think this is Dana`s way of motivating him. I think Chuck takes this one by TKO in the second. Should be a great fight and a must win for both guys. Anyone thnk Dana gives Shogun a similar ultimatum?
Boo_Radley21
3/15/09 12:43:19PM
I can see where Dana is coming from. He doesn't want a Rocky IV where Creed gets ruined by Drago But Chuck is gonna beat Shogun. Severely
Subterfuge
3/15/09 1:04:59PM
Sounds like a salesman to me "By the PPV, probably Chucks Last fight , but maybe not."
MMA_Alex
3/15/09 1:33:20PM

Posted by Subterfuge

Sounds like a salesman to me "By the PPV, probably Chucks Last fight , but maybe not."

Yeah, I seriously doubt that. Dana wouldn't need to say that to get a good draw from Chuck, or the UFC for that matter.

Alex
Subterfuge
3/15/09 2:02:26PM
Of course not.
JBatch
3/15/09 9:35:00PM
A couple years ago this would have been the craziest mega-fight possible IMO. Now it almost seems like the all too common loser is out of the UFC fight that appears on every card.

I really think Chuck is going to KO Shogun. Shogun has been a ghost of his former self.

If Chuck does ge KO'd or beaten pretty bad I can't see Dana letting him go. If Chuck wants to fight I don't think you want himfighting for any other brand.
theguido
3/15/09 9:40:10PM

Posted by Darnok

If Dana lets him go how long until you hear that he is with Affliction. I think 2 seconds.

Or Strike Force if it does well
Jackelope
3/15/09 10:41:25PM
Chuck has too much loyalty to the UFC to fight for any other org IMO. If this really does end up being his last fight I'll assume it will be just that- his very last fight
StPierreCanada
3/16/09 10:54:31AM
I think now he just doesn't want Chuck to become a joke. He is looking after Chuck in a way.
BenitoSanchez
3/23/09 12:03:39PM
Typical Dana Control freak statement