Dana White On Chuck Liddell: 'End Of An Era'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White On Chuck Liddell: 'End Of An Era'
MMAcca
4/19/09 7:50:52AM
Liddell will be given his time, but White did not waiver. "At the end of the day, I care about these guys. I don't want to see anybody stick around too long. You're never going to see Chuck Liddell on the canvas again."

LINK
postman
4/19/09 8:19:45AM
Here is the Junkie take on things.
MMA Junkie
danski
4/19/09 8:22:20AM
I don't think Chuck will go out with a loss..I'm sure they'll give him a jobber
bls1919
4/19/09 9:01:57AM
No way thats the last we see of Chuck. IMO if Chuck wants to fight he will. "We could sell a lot of tickets with him, but I dont care about that". Thats a lot of smoke being blown up someones arse.
sparky
4/19/09 9:46:04AM
I truely believe it is time for Chuck to give it up and it breaks my heart to say it!!!!!!
HumanTarget
4/19/09 10:08:00AM
Chucks done. I thought he had shogun. He was looking good but got "caught" I was waiting for him to say his infamous line.

Too bad chuck. Its time to go....
prozacnation1978
4/19/09 10:36:57AM
i blame this on dana white
how is a guy suppose to focus on a fight when u have someone over you saying if u lose u are gonna retire, u lose ur out of the ufc, u better be great tonight or else!!

i think chuck needs one more fight one last fight
against i don't know maybe cane i doubt it

last fight should be dec new years

chuck vs randy one last time swan song for both fighters to retire
Hideous
4/19/09 10:38:17AM
Shogun seems to be back on form.Chuck scored a single take down and did hardly anything else.Unlike the rashad fight Chuck was losing the fight until he got KO'd.Pity , but at the end of the day I am glad Shogun is back.
Shogun controlled the 4 minutes or so of the fight.And the one time Chuck did land something worth noting, Shogun stalked him immediately after wards scoring with overhands , kicks etc.

war shogun!
mrsmiley
4/19/09 11:31:28AM
Liddell hasn't been "Liddell" for a while now.
Every fighter hits their peak at some point,and then steadily or fiercley declines from their.
Some can bounce back to an extent,but not to the form that made them a champion.

Liddell has nothing to be ashamed of.
He's quiet possibly the most reconizable face in the world of MMA, and was one of the best LHW's of his time.

I really hope this is Liddells last fight though.
I think the only way to give Chuck a break would be to start giving him 2nd tier competition,and I don't see that being Iceman style.
Chuck wants to fight the best,and in my opinion,he's been fighting top guys for quiet a while now.
To go a step down and beat a second tier guy would be worse than losing to a top 10, imo.
tallica62
4/19/09 12:26:28PM
he will def be back...the way they were saying "is this the end of an era" etc...they already have their minds made up..they are already hyping up his comeback..whenever it may be...

unfortunately though, its easy to see chuck is of the last era caliber of fighter...the newer guys are jsut better and i hope he doesnt become chuck shamrock and not konw when to quit
Ordep
4/19/09 12:30:14PM
... I don't think this will be the last time. Probably they'll match him against Coleman later to get a win, then announce retirement right there. Their ego won't let him go with two KO/TKO loses in a row.
motorboatensob
4/19/09 1:06:40PM
It kills me to say it but I wish Chuck would hang it up. Last nigh I felt like a kid waiting all year for Christmas and waking up to get socks. I'll miss getting pumped up for his fights but when it has come down to him fighting and me hoping he pulls it off instead of waiting for him to knock some one out its time to go.
LakieMan
4/19/09 1:08:37PM
There is one thing about it, and its I hate to see him lose like that two times in a row. I love Chuck, but IMO, I do believe its time to give it up, maybe another fight against Coleman maybe, I just don't know what he is gonna do.
wrona666
4/19/09 1:22:14PM
If Chuck still wants to fight he is going to fight......There is no way Dana would let another organization sign his most popular fighter.....So if Chuck wants to continue it will be in the UFC.....
Aaronno9
4/19/09 2:25:12PM
PABLOMAFIOSO
4/19/09 3:22:21PM
This should be it. As Dana says he will still be part of the UFC but his career as a fighter is definately over.
tn_rebel
4/19/09 3:42:30PM
the difference is chuck was actually good in his prime! shamrock became famous for gettin his tail beat by great fighters!
KipDynamite
4/19/09 5:32:35PM

Posted by motorboatensob

It kills me to say it but I wish Chuck would hang it up. Last nigh I felt like a kid waiting all year for Christmas and waking up to get socks. I'll miss getting pumped up for his fights but when it has come down to him fighting and me hoping he pulls it off instead of waiting for him to knock some one out its time to go.

Unbelievable! I used the same scenerio to describe that fight. I was sooo disapointed, the worst thing was all the hater laughing and screaming "Itold u so". If they werent family I prolly woulda gave em a go!
XblacksheepX
4/19/09 7:06:22PM
since when is dana deciding for fighters to retire??? disrespectful, i'd call this.
CwB
4/19/09 7:44:48PM
Its sad thing when your favorite fighter is on the edge of retirement. If chuck continues i dont want to see him fight 2cnd tier fighters but i feel that the top tier fighters have passed him up.

on a side note
nothing but props too shogun he looked great and although we didnt get to see his level of cardio i feel this might be the shogun i was telling my friends about before the forrest griffin fight, and it will be great to see him in title contention soon...
ThePlague
4/19/09 11:01:33PM

Posted by CwB

Its sad thing when your favorite fighter is on the edge of retirement. If chuck continues i dont want to see him fight 2cnd tier fighters but i feel that the top tier fighters have passed him up.

on a side note
nothing but props too shogun he looked great and although we didnt get to see his level of cardio i feel this might be the shogun i was telling my friends about before the forrest griffin fight, and it will be great to see him in title contention soon...

I feel the exact same way. I love Chuck, and I was sad and disappointed to hear that this would be it for him, but I know it's the right thing for him. His natural weight is LHW, and in that stacked weight class he's just a touch too slow these days.

Like you, my disappointment was assuaged by the fact that Shogun seems like his old self again. If his cardio is good, it will make the division even more interesting than it already is.
Near07
4/22/09 3:22:53AM
How can you blame it on Dana, all the fighters have pressure put on them to win!!! I was at the fight and was hoping that cHuck won but at the same time I want Shogun to start kicking some ass in the Ufc. I was thinking that Chuck and randy would be good, but there is a difference Randy is still going strong, hes still improving his game, he is more well rounded then chuck, and has a better chance winning over these younger fighters!! Chuck refuses to change his style (which i like and it worked for him for many years), but everyone has figured how to beat it!!! I am glad I was in montreal just in case that was his last fight, he should have retired that night!! I guess we will see what happens!!! Eitherway Chuck is the man, and has nothing to be ashamed of!!!
mrsmiley
4/22/09 6:08:25AM
Even if Chuck continued to fight,what would he have left to prove?
He's been the most popular and for his time most dominate LHW in the UFC.

Their's no point in proving he can hang with the new guys in town,because at somepoint that becomes a losing game.

I would like to see one more fight between him and Wandy though.