Dana White: Brock Lesnar vs Randy Couture late stoppage ‘crossed the line’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Brock Lesnar vs Randy Couture late stoppage ‘crossed the line’
Next Page »
MMAcca
11/18/08 9:45:04AM
“The ref [Mario Yamasaki] was going, ‘Eh, is [Couture] OK?’ Mario was trying to give him time [to recover]. There’s a fine line between that and [allowing] too many punches. When I saw Randy go back down, I thought we had crossed that line.”

Interesting.......

LINK
ufcboss
11/18/08 10:08:22AM
I thought the stoppage was fine, As soon as Brock threw elbows, More so scraped elbows, The fight was over. Randy was dazed, But he was still trying to defend, His legs where in the air, Not flat and I think thats says it all, If he was laying there flat with Lesnar pounding on him that would be crossing the line but he was ok.

I waqs actually happy that Randy didnt get too hurt because that was soft compared to what I though was gonna happen to him

WAR RANDY COUTURE
Focker101
11/18/08 10:16:16AM
There was nothing wrong with that stoppage .
scoozna
11/18/08 10:25:55AM
I with y'all... I didn't see anything wrong with it, and I think Randy said as much. He's the champ, and he's been around, and so you give him a little more time to see if he will get out.
ufc
11/18/08 10:40:24AM
actually everybody at my house thought it was kinda early untill we saw randy collapse when he tried to get up. so all in all it was a good stopage.
nubby
11/18/08 10:40:55AM
Can't make everyone happy.
Dragonscale
11/18/08 11:09:14AM

I generally agree with Dana about everything... but FUuuuck Dana! Shut the hell up! Here we are trying to keep stopages from being too quick and you spout off about it being too long.... GOD!

I thought it was a moment too quick even, or exactly perfect, but far from late.
Twenty20Dollars
11/18/08 11:14:27AM
yeah if the fight was stopped quicker than it was, you would have everyone saying it was an early stoppage. It was a good stoppage by a good ref Mario, im sure he knows couture and was giving him a chance instead of not giving him a chance.
Darnok
11/18/08 11:23:02AM

Posted by ufc

actually everybody at my house thought it was kinda early untill we saw randy collapse when he tried to get up. so all in all it was a good stopage.

I had a couple guys telling me it was an early stoppage as well. So I offered to give them some of those short hammer fists and see if they wanted it to stop.
4u2nv
11/18/08 11:33:25AM
the stoppage was fine. Dana is trying to hype this up a little more so it doesn't die out. I cant wait for Nog or Mir to smoke Brock and show the world he's nothing more then another freak.
Ordep
11/18/08 11:53:39AM

Posted by nubby

Can't make everyone happy.

nubby?

Zombie!!!! ZombiEE!!
jocka
11/18/08 11:59:01AM
I personnaly did not see a problem with the stoppage i actually would of give Randy a bit more time maybee a few secs more even then i think the stoppage was a good one. Lesnar looked like a big ape with those hammer fists lol i would not want to be the one on the floor eating them lol
telnights
11/18/08 12:44:55PM
I kind of agree I felt it should have been stopped a few sec earlier. But it wasn't near as bad as the Gonzaga fight was.
finnish_line
11/18/08 1:06:44PM

It most certainly wasn't too early. No way was Randy getting out of that barrage.

I loved the timing personally. Mazz would have screwed it up one way or the other. Badly.
twoguns365
11/18/08 1:27:14PM
I just don't see where this is coming from. He gave Randy, the champ, every opportunity to show something. He's the champ and in a title fight. The ref should make sure there is nothing there, which I thought he did. I think part of it too was the ref was thinking that this was such a big fight that he had to be completely sure. Good stoppage.
MMAcca
11/18/08 1:37:26PM

Posted by 4u2nv

the stoppage was fine. Dana is trying to hype this up a little more so it doesn't die out. I cant wait for Nog or Mir to smoke Brock and show the world he's nothing more then another freak.

Dude he just beat Randy Couture!

You cannot be serious.....
ncordless
11/18/08 1:55:27PM
I had no problem with the stoppage. The fact that Randy was still hurt says more about hte first two punches than the "GnP' that happened at the end. Brock was only lifting his arm about an inch. I don't think he could hammer a nail with that kind of strike, let alone cause serious damage. I was pretty impressed with Brock but in both the Mir and Couture fight he starts in with the "rapid-fire" GnP that just doesn't look very effective. I'd like to see him not spazz out like that and end his opponents with effective, measured shots next time.
Naturaldisaster
11/18/08 2:11:33PM
it was a good stoppage
MondayNiteMauser
11/18/08 3:34:09PM
I think Dana is right. When you have a freak like brock lesnar pounding on you its not going to take more than 1 or 2 solid shots to hurt someone bad. Randy was on the canvas for about a minute after the fight. Everyone i was watching the fight with were yelling at the TV to stop the fight those hammer fist....and then the elbows came and i was worried. I'm glad Randy is ok but you do have to look at who's fighting when you are talking about stoppages. Congrats to brock!
holt8081
11/18/08 3:36:39PM
If randy was ok with it then there should not be a problem
MondayNiteMauser
11/18/08 3:39:16PM

Posted by 4u2nv

Hater in the Forum! Brock is the real deal man. He just beat a legend! Mir and Nogeria are both going to have problems with Brock for 2 reasons. Brock has better hands and they can't dictate where the fight is going to go. I see Brock getting his loss back from Mir in 1 via TKO. I see Brock in a harder fight against Nogeria but I'm pretty sure he can do what no one else in the UFC can do and that is finish nogeria. Brock 2nd KO
juanez13
11/18/08 4:28:09PM
I dont know, when you look at it like this, you may change your stance

StorminYourman
11/18/08 4:58:07PM

Posted by juanez13

like pinball
StorminYourman
11/18/08 4:59:05PM
On another note stoppage was perfect!
bls1919
11/18/08 5:15:38PM
It was a fine stoppage. not sure whats with dana.
GrandMaster313
11/18/08 5:26:53PM
The stoppage was fine.. Im glad Yamasaki was the referee and not Herb Dean . Herb tends to crap his pants when something like that happens !
cmill21
11/18/08 5:39:26PM

Posted by juanez13

Those look like they hit his hand quite a few times.
Sir_Karl
11/18/08 6:37:09PM
I saw no issue with the stoppage. Brock's punches were quick, short strikes that really didn't do too much to Couture. If Brock would have relaxed after Couture hit the deck he could have landed 1 or 2 really good blows that would have put Couture out cold. It doesn't matter though....Brock won.
The stoppage was good. Maybe even a second or two too early.
I think Couture can beat him though, but I think it is safe to say that Brock Lesnar hits hard. Real hard.
Odd statement coming from Dana White regarding the stoppage.

bjj1605
11/19/08 1:18:27PM
He wanted randy to win and pull something out of his a** for the victory. It was certainly a late stop. I screamed at my TV "stop! You're giving him to much time!" I know randy is a champ and a veteran but you have to be realistic and protect a fighter when he's obviously not getting out of the position.
Rush
11/19/08 2:22:04PM
It was a good stoppage I think. A lot of the hits were small swings (though it's Brock we are talking about) and Randy was protecting himself from them.

Mario jumped in right after Brock started throwing elbows so I think it was a good stoppage.

As far as Dana wanting Randy to win. The way I look at it, a lot of people either love or hate Brock. Having a title holder that is loved or hated is great because people will want to tune in to either watch their beloved fighter win or hated fighter lose.

As long as Randy does not have some form of damage from the "late" stoppage, I think it's better to be 2 secs. later than 2 secs. earlier with respect to avoiding controversy.
Pages: [1] 2