Dana White: Brock Lesnar Is UFC's Most Underrated Fighter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Brock Lesnar Is UFC's Most Underrated Fighter
Next Page »
SmileR
3/24/11 9:23:50AM
A lot of mixed martial arts fans think Brock Lesnar is overrated: He lost his first UFC fight in 90 seconds, got fast-tracked to a title shot because of his pro wrestling fame, beat a man he outweighed by 50 pounds to win the title, then crumpled when someone finally hit him in the face and lost his title to Cain Velasquez.

UFC President Dana White has heard those comments. But he says that viewpoint is actually an example of Lesnar being underrated. In fact, White calls Lesnar the most underrated fighter in the UFC.

In a live chat with the Seattle Times to promote Saturday night's Fight Night in Seattle, White was asked to name the most underrated fighter, and Lesnar was the man he picked.

"I don't think people give him enough credit for how good he really is and what he has accomplished," White said.

Link
Twenty20Dollars
3/24/11 11:27:52AM
That's funny, because I still think its Frankie Edgar.
scoozna
3/24/11 11:28:07AM
I think those that are willing to be objective about Brock can understand this. The two biggest criticisms of Brock that have surfaced are

a) can he take a punch (to the face)
b) does he have the mental toughness to be champ (toughness in a tough fight, get back the belt, defend the belt once he has it, etc...)

With Brock's relative inexperience, it's natural for questions and doubts to surface. I think he has a lot more to learn, and has shown a propensity to learn quickly. It all comes down to whether he wants it bad enough and can surround himself with the right people (some big "if's", granted).
scoozna
3/24/11 11:29:13AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I know I'm guilty of underrating him...big time. Good one.
mattjonesy
3/24/11 11:56:29AM
I have to agree with Dana. I think its more to do with how much he was hyped up and how low his skill set is.
He was hyped up as much as possible mainly because of being famous and being huge not so much his wrestling ability I dont think. If Lesnar wasnt famous when he came to the UFC we might have seen a completey different fighter from the one he his today.
jgtribbett
3/24/11 11:59:06AM

Posted by scoozna

I think those that are willing to be objective about Brock can understand this. The two biggest criticisms of Brock that have surfaced are

a) can he take a punch (to the face)
b) does he have the mental toughness to be champ (toughness in a tough fight, get back the belt, defend the belt once he has it, etc...)

With Brock's relative inexperience, it's natural for questions and doubts to surface. I think he has a lot more to learn, and has shown a propensity to learn quickly. It all comes down to whether he wants it bad enough and can surround himself with the right people (some big "if's", granted).

Exactly!
In addition,fans really shouldn't knock him for getting beat up by Cain. Nog has basically lived in the ring or cage and Cain did the same to him.
Boo_Radley21
3/24/11 12:03:30PM
I'd say so too, but maybe not THE most underrated. He rushed into the sport didn't get any tune up fights in the UFC and became heavyweight champion in like three fights, then defended it against Mir and Carwin. Velasquez is the best heavyweight in the world right now, no shame in losing to him. And after taking that beating he agreed to fight another guy who has way better boxing than he does, where he's almost guaranteed to take some hard shots. I think he'll win that fight.
TeamDEY
3/24/11 12:08:51PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I think Brock Lesnar is more underrated. It depends how you look at it, Frankie Edgar is more underrated to the casual MMA fan but IMO Lesnar is more underrated to the hard core MMA fan. Everyone see's Lesnar as just being big and thats how he wins. But he dropped Mir in his first fight, beat Couture in the standup, dropped Heath Herring and took an ass beating by Carwin and still managed to win. I see Edgar as on of the best in my eyes he is not underrated at all. He beat Penn twice, was out on his feet against Maynard and somehow still got the draw, to the real MMA fans I see Lesnar more underrated than Edgar.
DeadHead988
3/24/11 12:29:39PM
I've definitely gotta disagree with Dana here. Whenever I think overrated, Lesnar's the first that comes to mind. Just because nobody likes you anymore, doesn't mean you're underrated. Is Kalib Starnes underrated?
gartface
3/24/11 12:48:41PM

Posted by DeadHead988

I've definitely gotta disagree with Dana here. Whenever I think overrated, Lesnar's the first that comes to mind. Just because nobody likes you anymore, doesn't mean you're underrated. Is Kalib Starnes underrated?

That's an atrocious comparison. Did Kailb Starnes ever beat any world class competition? Did he knockout one of the best fighters of all time? Did he dominate a top 10 heavyweight twice?(I know he got submitted the first fight, but still)

I completely agree with Dana. I think that Lesnar gets a bum wrap because he came from pro wrestling and like someone said above, people think he wins by being big, when they don't understand how athletic he is and how good his wrestling really is.

The guy is an infant in the sport to an extent, and has grown tremendously in the past few years. It's not that people just don't like him anymore, people don't rate him after his fight with Velasquez. That's where I think the underrated tag comes in, due to the fact that people don't hold him in as high of a regard as they should. Cain is a pretty amazing fighter...no shame in getting beat by him.
Theoutlaw08
3/24/11 1:02:49PM
I agree with Frankie Edgar as being overrated, as well as Brock.
Brock was given the train to the top because of his fame. Cain exposed him for what he is; a WWF fighter that's next opponent should be Stone Cold Steve Austin.
Frankie can't finish anyone, I would like to see Guillard in the top of the LW division, dude brings it every time.
GSPCanada
3/24/11 1:05:41PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by DeadHead988

That's an atrocious comparison. Did Kailb Starnes ever beat any world class competition? Did he knockout one of the best fighters of all time? Did he dominate a top 10 heavyweight twice?(I know he got submitted the first fight, but still)

I completely agree with Dana. I think that Lesnar gets a bum wrap because he came from pro wrestling and like someone said above, people think he wins by being big, when they don't understand how athletic he is and how good his wrestling really is.

The guy is an infant in the sport to an extent, and has grown tremendously in the past few years. It's not that people just don't like him anymore, people don't rate him after his fight with Velasquez. That's where I think the underrated tag comes in, due to the fact that people don't hold him in as high of a regard as they should. Cain is a pretty amazing fighter...no shame in getting beat by him.

It depends how u look at it, he is pretty underrated considering the big names he beat and what he has accomplished in the short amount of time. but the big reason he gets such a bad rep is because of dana, we don't underrate brock, you overrated him. People don't realize this but brock lesnar was thew highest paid fighter at ufc 81, yes he got paid more for losing to frank mir then nog did for defeating sylvia. dana brought in a guy with 1 fight and threw a giant contract at him and then gave him a title shot after ONE win....so who is overrated? a guy who is 1-1 and gets a title shot or a guy like jim miller who has won 7 fights in a row....

i think we would all have a different tune towards lesnar if he wasn't famous because he would have had a different entry into the ufc
grappler0000
3/24/11 1:22:49PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Brock was given the train to the top because of his fame. Cain exposed him for what he is; a WWF fighter that's next opponent should be Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Posted by GSPCanada

People don't realize this but brock lesnar was thew highest paid fighter at ufc 81, yes he got paid more for losing to frank mir then nog did for defeating sylvia. dana brought in a guy with 1 fight and threw a giant contract at him and then gave him a title shot after ONE win....so who is overrated? a guy who is 1-1 and gets a title shot or a guy like jim miller who has won 7 fights in a row....

i think we would all have a different tune towards lesnar if he wasn't famous because he would have had a different entry into the ufc

I think statements like this just prove what Dana is saying. Previous careers and salary have nothing to do with how a fighter should be rated. It's a stigma that was with Lesnar the day he signed his UFC contract and it's apparently still going strong today. If you want to find a reason, there will always be one.
postman
3/24/11 1:51:12PM
I think Hardcores see him for what he is. A very dangerous wrestler who if he gets on top of you, its big trouble. But if you can touch him he tends to turn away from the punches and exposes himself.

I think Middle of the roads (those who think they are hardcores) tend to underrate his ablity due t othe fact that he dosn't respond well to getting punched in the face.

I think there are a lot of fring fans who think he is the best fighter alive and still UFC champ.
FastKnockout
3/24/11 1:59:27PM

Dana White: Brock Lesnar Is UFC's Most Overrated Fighter

Fixed.
GSPCanada
3/24/11 3:14:07PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by GSPCanada

People don't realize this but brock lesnar was thew highest paid fighter at ufc 81, yes he got paid more for losing to frank mir then nog did for defeating sylvia. dana brought in a guy with 1 fight and threw a giant contract at him and then gave him a title shot after ONE win....so who is overrated? a guy who is 1-1 and gets a title shot or a guy like jim miller who has won 7 fights in a row....

I think statements like this just prove what Dana is saying. Previous careers and salary have nothing to do with how a fighter should be rated. It's a stigma that was with Lesnar the day he signed his UFC contract and it's apparently still going strong today. If you want to find a reason, there will always be one.

I think previous careers don't have anything to do with a fighter, unless it is this case. do we underrate brock or does dana overrate brock? that is what I'm getting at. the guy who is saying he is underrated paid him 200,000 to show up against frank mir whether brock won or lost is irrelevant, the point is, doesn't that tell you something about the man making this statement. what did you personally think when you heard brock got the title shot? do you think if he was a regular guy coming into mma he would have gotten a title shot?
machodog76
3/24/11 3:30:31PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I think that's a bit of an overstatement I think Brocks still top 20 if not top 10, I mean Stone Cold's not even a fighter.
deck15
3/24/11 3:32:01PM
If brock was just another guy he would be considered a beast by everyone. Now he may not have got a title shot so fast but he would have been given more time to work on his skills. I'm notb a fan of his at all but the dude is nasty.
emfleek
3/24/11 3:39:34PM

Posted by machodog76

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I think that's a bit of an overstatement I think Brocks still top 20 if not top 10, I mean Stone Cold's not even a fighter.

Absolutely an overstatement.

He was CHAMPION for crying out loud. The fight wasn't fixed. He actually stepped into a cage and fought someone. Oh, and then he defended the title; not once, but twice, before losing to Velasquez.

To deny the man's talent is downright blasphemous and simply laughable.

fick·le / Adjective: Changing frequently, esp. as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection
grappler0000
3/24/11 4:34:11PM

Posted by GSPCanada

I think previous careers don't have anything to do with a fighter, unless it is this case. do we underrate brock or does dana overrate brock? that is what I'm getting at. the guy who is saying he is underrated paid him 200,000 to show up against frank mir whether brock won or lost is irrelevant, the point is, doesn't that tell you something about the man making this statement. what did you personally think when you heard brock got the title shot? do you think if he was a regular guy coming into mma he would have gotten a title shot?

I could really care less how Dana feels about him or how he promotes him. How quickly Brock got a title shot has nothing to do with the conversation at hand, other than the fact that it fuels peoples' hatred for him and ultimately fuels the fallacious arguments...much like this one.
Cooler
3/24/11 4:36:04PM

Posted by Dana White
"I don't think people give him enough credit for how good he really is and what he has accomplished,"

He would have never been champ if you didnt hand over the keys and give him the easy road. I mean a title shot at 2-1? what exactly did he accomplish to earn that? because he's famous? he didnt even avenge his only loss at that point. I really dont care what he did in amateur wrestling I've seen what he's done in zuffa and overall he hasnt looked that good, lost to Mir in a bizarre and easily cinched kneebar, then beats Herring who gets taken down by a small breeze, then a title shot against a 47 year old with a weak stoppage at the end, smashed Mir and proceeds to get merc'd twice in a row (and looking at a 3rd merc'ing against JDS).

What about Marcelo Garcia or Eddie Bravo? if they were 1-1 in the UFC and 2-1 overall they gets title shots? why not? what they've accomplished in jiu jitsu is more impressive. Dana screwed both Hendo and Werdum out of title shot and he has the nerve to say that Brock is the one thats the most underrated? what about his lightweight champ that NEVER gets love? Oh I know why, because he's a politically incorrect, big white american brute who says that he's a "professional ultimate fighter" among other offensive things like taunting Mir after he smashed him..and he doesnt let his training partners hit him in the face

...baddest man on the planet? most underrated? i dont buy it Mr. White.
SmileR
3/24/11 4:50:39PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by Dana White
"I don't think people give him enough credit for how good he really is and what he has accomplished,"

He would have never been champ if you didnt hand over the keys and give him the easy road. I mean a title shot at 2-1? what exactly did he accomplish to earn that? because he's famous? he didnt even avenge his only loss at that point. I really dont care what he did in amateur wrestling I've seen what he's done in zuffa and overall he hasnt looked that good, lost to Mir in a bizarre and easily cinched kneebar, then beats Herring who gets taken down by a small breeze, then a title shot against a 47 year old with a weak stoppage at the end, smashed Mir and proceeds to get merc'd twice in a row (and looking at a 3rd merc'ing against JDS).

What about Marcelo Garcia or Eddie Bravo? if they were 1-1 in the UFC and 2-1 overall they gets title shots? why not? what they've accomplished in jiu jitsu is more impressive. Dana screwed both Hendo and Werdum out of title shot and he has the nerve to say that Brock is the one thats the most underrated? what about his lightweight champ that NEVER gets love? Oh I know why, because he's a politically incorrect, big white american brute who says that he's a "professional ultimate fighter" among other offensive things like taunting Mir after he smashed him..and he doesnt let his training partners hit him in the face

...baddest man on the planet? most underrated? i dont buy it Mr. White.

Could you name one other guy who could have stepped into the cage with Randy in their 3 professional fight and won?
And then gone on to beat 2 more of MMA's elite HW's?

I don't know what fight you saw but the fight with Randy was not a bad stoppage. Randy didn't know where he was for a solid minute or two after Brock hammer fisting a good few months off his life!

grappler0000 is right, posts like this and others in this thread that help prove Dana's point.
GSPCanada
3/24/11 4:53:08PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by GSPCanada

I could really care less how Dana feels about him or how he promotes him. How quickly Brock got a title shot has nothing to do with the conversation at hand, other than the fact that it fuels peoples' hatred for him and ultimately fuels the fallacious arguments...much like this one.

the title of this thread says brock is the most underrated fighter in the ufc so to tell me that how quickly a guy gets a title shot has nothing to do with the conversation at hand tells me me and you are not talking about the same thing, if u think bout it every fight the guy has been in it has been a #1 contenders fight or a title fight, exactly what does being overrated or underrated consist of?
machodog76
3/24/11 5:19:24PM
I don't understand how people can say he didn't deserve the title shot, he won! If that doesn't prove you deserved the shot I don't know what does.
cowcatcher
3/24/11 5:25:27PM

Posted by machodog76

I don't understand how people can say he didn't deserve the title shot, he won! If that doesn't prove you deserved the shot I don't know what does.

And defended twice. Some people are going to hate no matter what. At some point opinions aren't just opinions, they are just incorrect statements.
Cooler
3/24/11 6:08:31PM

Posted by SmileR
Could you name one other guy who could have stepped into the cage with Randy in their 3 professional fight and won?

That's not the point, he outweighed Randy heavily and still got the worse of the grappling for the first half of the fight. Randy completely ducked Nog to try and fight Fedor even though he knew Dana would never let it happen and that forced Nog fight Mir (which makes no sense, why does the interim champ have to defend an interim title? lol) the HW division was a circus in 2007, Werdum getting leapfrogged after being promised a title shot, then he gets a UFC rookie in JDS who will probably wreck Brock too. If Mir can catch a kneebar on Brock so can Werdum.

Posted by SmileR
And then gone on to beat 2 more of MMA's elite HW's?

Yeah and got merc'd in one of those two fights, which should have been stopped, theres no way any other champ wouldve gotten as many chances as him. Look at the Randy fight, that stoppage was crap and it looked like they just wanted to hand over the belt to Brock for marketing purposes. Randy was hurt yes, but the final shots were pitter patter shots at best.

Posted by SmileR
I don't know what fight you saw but the fight with Randy was not a bad stoppage. Randy didn't know where he was for a solid minute or two after Brock hammer fisting a good few months off his life!

Please re-watch, yes he hit him with good shots...at first, but towards the end of the fight those hammerfists were significantly less powerful when it was stopped.

Posted by SmileR
grappler0000 is right, posts like this and others in this thread that help prove Dana's point.

I thought I made a lot of valid points to why he's overrated and not underrated, he doesnt even let his training partners hit him in the face, baddest man on the planet? cmon. And I say at the end Im not buying Dana's hype on Brock, or whats left of it when he loses again.
postman
3/24/11 6:10:42PM
People are forgetting Randy wanted that fight. It was all about the paper for everyone involved.
Cooler
3/24/11 6:13:45PM

Posted by machodog76

So if Brian Ebersole for example beat GSP tomorrow he deserved the shot because he won? youre trying to take away from all the fighters who had to struggle and claw their way to the top by giving a title shot to a green wrestler who doesnt even realize he's an MMA fighter not a "professional ultimate fighter" which is why he was tapped so easily in his first real test.
SmileR
3/24/11 6:55:07PM

That's not the point, he outweighed Randy heavily and still got the worse of the grappling for the first half of the fight. Randy completely ducked Nog to try and fight Fedor even though he knew Dana would never let it happen and that forced Nog fight Mir (which makes no sense, why does the interim champ have to defend an interim title? lol) the HW division was a circus in 2007, Werdum getting leapfrogged after being promised a title shot, then he gets a UFC rookie in JDS who will probably wreck Brock too. If Mir can catch a kneebar on Brock so can Werdum.

Its a very good point, I don't understand how you can just brush that aside and then throw Brock's size into the argument.
Randy left the UFC for a number of reasons so the UFC pretty much had to bring in the interim title to keep Randy under contract and the dispute lasted a long time, so why not have the interim champ defend the belt? Werdum, if he was inline for a title shot should have beaten Dos Santos but he was ruined by him and Dos Santos has never fought Brock so I don't understand how you can say he'll easily beat him or Werdum will catch him in a knee bar.

Yeah and got merc'd in one of those two fights, which should have been stopped, theres no way any other champ wouldve gotten as many chances as him. Look at the Randy fight, that stoppage was crap and it looked like they just wanted to hand over the belt to Brock for marketing purposes. Randy was hurt yes, but the final shots were pitter patter shots at best.

Please re-watch, yes he hit him with good shots...at first, but towards the end of the fight those hammerfists were significantly less powerful when it was stopped.

Frankie Edgar was in a very similar situation in his last fight so it does happen and but unlike Frankie, Brock decisively finished his fight. Regardless of how the fight went Brock won so downplaying it again proves how the casual fans underestimate Brock and down play what he has achived. Brock's weight was within the HW limit and Brock got the better of the grappling in the second half of the fight so your point kind of falls flat. An then he went on and dropped Randy and hammer fisted him to a TKO. I've just rewatched the fight and it defiantly was not a early stoppage. Randy had to be helped to his feet.

I thought I made a lot of valid points to why he's overrated and not underrated, he doesnt even let his training partners hit him in the face, baddest man on the planet? cmon. And I say at the end Im not buying Dana's hype on Brock, or whats left of it when he loses again.

Saying he doesn't let his training partners hit him in the face shows how little you actually know about his training. He gets hit in the face in his all access program and his promos for fights and he'd be stupid if he though he could win a fight against other world class fighter without training defensive striking.
If you seriously believe a world class MMA fighter tells his training partners not to hit him in the face I honestly don't know why you follow MMA.
machodog76
3/24/11 7:22:26PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by machodog76

So if Brian Ebersole for example beat GSP tomorrow he deserved the shot because he won? youre trying to take away from all the fighters who had to struggle and claw their way to the top by giving a title shot to a green wrestler who doesnt even realize he's an MMA fighter not a "professional ultimate fighter" which is why he was tapped so easily in his first real test.

If he beat GSP in a fair fight and was clearly better than him, then yes. And then the real #1 contender gets a shot. I think if you have the balls to step in with the champ and people want to see it then why not? I don't like to see people get leapfrogged (cough, Okami) but due to all the random aspects of this sport it happens. I just want to see the best guy reign as champ regardless of his experience. Is he the baddest dude on the planet? No everyone knows thats Chuck Norris!
Pages: [1] 2