Dana White: ‘We’ll do Brock vs Fedor and it’ll be a huge fight’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: ‘We’ll do Brock vs Fedor and it’ll be a huge fight’
SmileR
7/12/09 1:59:54PM
“This whole Fedor thing has been going on and on and on. I keep saying this and that about him and he keeps waiting. Eventually, Fedor’s going to be here. I want Fedor. I want him to come to the UFC and everything else. [Lesnar] just became the heavyweight champion. We’ll end up getting that deal done. And then we’ll do Brock vs. Fedor, and it’ll be a huge fight.”

– UFC President Dana White envisions Fedor Emelianenko becoming a possible addition to his heavyweight division at last night’s UFC 100 post-fight press conference. White and Co. worked hard to bring the Russian on board after the collapse of Pride FC; however, talks broke down when the parties could not agree on an exclusive fight contract. It would be a minor miracle if Emelianenko ever signed with the UFC … he and his camp appear to mix like water and oil when it comes to working with UFC execs. Stranger things have happened, however. In the meantime, Emelianenko is penciled in to fight former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett this August in the third — and perhaps last event held by Affliction MMA. White seems confident “The Last Emperor” will find his way to the Octagon because after his July 11 performance, Brock Lesnar is quickly running out of viable contenders.

Link
DevonFoxy
7/12/09 2:36:42PM
I think up until now Dana didn't think anyone on the roster could threaten Fedor and now he see's Brock "The Juggernaut" Lesnar and honestly believes that Brock can beat him. I personally will have to see it to believe it but if Dana brought Fedor in it would not be because he would want him to succeed but quite the opposite. Thats what saddens me.
imanidiot777
7/12/09 2:38:12PM
As of now I still don't see Brock winning and if Fedor wins Dana will have no choice but to respect him, and I think he would come around to the guy honestly. Fedor is a nice guy.

Of course, with Brock's size and hard punches, he does have a puncher's chance at least I guess, it isn't impossible for him to win.
cmill21
7/12/09 3:22:02PM
The problem with this fight is Brock has two ways to win, land one punch, or hold him down for 5 rounds. Fedor on the bottom for 5 rounds gives him way to much time to catch something and standing up with him right now seems like playing with a nuke.
Styles
7/12/09 3:26:46PM
Anybody else under the impression that Brock could probally take a punch like cabbage could? I mean that guy has a huge damn mellon on his head, it would be interesting to see Fedor vs. Brock and it would be interesting to see how well Brock handled gettign punched. I am willing to say that Brock can take a punch but I think he would become over excited after getting punched in the mouth and his aggresiveness would cause him to gas quickly.
dreius
7/12/09 4:01:38PM
"The problem with this fight is Brock has two ways to win, land one punch, or hold him down for 5 rounds. Fedor on the bottom for 5 rounds gives him way to much time to catch something and standing up with him right now seems like playing with a nuke."

Or punch him in the face multiple time while on the ground something tells me that might work also
cmill21
7/12/09 4:17:09PM

Posted by dreius

"The problem with this fight is Brock has two ways to win, land one punch, or hold him down for 5 rounds. Fedor on the bottom for 5 rounds gives him way to much time to catch something and standing up with him right now seems like playing with a nuke."

Or punch him in the face multiple time while on the ground something tells me that might work also

To accomplish this he would have to do two things, get him on the ground and control him. Randy was able to push brock around and he even tossed him a few times. Fedor has all the tools Randy has and more.
postman
7/12/09 4:27:16PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by dreius

To accomplish this he would have to do two things, get him on the ground and control him. Randy was able to push brock around and he even tossed him a few times. Fedor has all the tools Randy has and more.

Too many ppl still have no clue how great Fedor is. Its not the same watching a old fight of a guy trying to get an idea of who he is. Ok so he has 2 fights in Affliction first was too easy agianst a guy that no one seems to respect the second he was being out boxed and is accused of trowing a lucky punch. If you have seen Fedor fight Randelman live then you know Fedor has so many tools that even when you are beating him hes going to catch you. Could Brock throw that big hand out a put Fedor away.....anyone can be knocked out but then who threw the lucky punch?
xdanish020
7/12/09 5:08:48PM
I really don't think Brock is ready for Fedor just yet. I think he needs to defend that title a few more times against UFC competition before they bring in Fedor to fight him, but I guess we'll see what happens.
supatolacyl
7/12/09 5:18:32PM

Posted by cmill21

The problem with this fight is Brock has two ways to win, land one punch, or hold him down for 5 rounds. Fedor on the bottom for 5 rounds gives him way to much time to catch something and standing up with him right now seems like playing with a nuke.

If mir couldn't catch him with something again then I don't know if someone can. Mir has one of the best if not the best BJJ for a heavyweight. Fedor likes using arm submissions and with Brocks strength and sheer arm size I don't think that would be possible to submit or break that arm. I also don't think anyone would last 5 rounds underneath Lesnar. I'm not saying Lesnar could get Fedor down (but it does seem reasonible that he could) and IF he did each round, no one would be able to survive being hit with those jack hammers over and over again. I like Fedor way more then I do Lesnar, but seeing his progression in the arts and pure size and strength I think it is much more even then people think. Also, one of Fedors advantages has been his speed for being a heavyweight and Brock even seems to be on the same level with that.

IMO I would like to see Carwin given his shot before they bring Fedor in. Carwin has heavy hands and good wrestling. He might be able to hold off a takedown for a few minutes and that would be all he needs to land a shot. I too am interested in seeing how he handles a heavy shot, cuz of his massive neck and huge head I think he would be able to handle it well.
prozacnation1978
7/12/09 5:27:36PM
i still would rather see fedor vs randy!!
scobac
7/12/09 5:30:38PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i still would rather see fedor vs randy!!

I agree, if they do get Fedor I hope its a contract with more than I mega fight on it
Manak
7/12/09 5:43:26PM

Posted by Styles

Anybody else under the impression that Brock could probally take a punch like cabbage could? I mean that guy has a huge damn mellon on his head, it would be interesting to see Fedor vs. Brock and it would be interesting to see how well Brock handled gettign punched. I am willing to say that Brock can take a punch but I think he would become over excited after getting punched in the mouth and his aggresiveness would cause him to gas quickly.

personally i think Brock has a suspect chin. It seemed like mir rocked him pretty easliy in the 2nd but the flyin knee got him on stuck with Brock lying on him for a bit doing nothing tell he got his head back. I may be wrong but i think if Brock loses it will cause of KO. after the barnett fight fedor should come to the UFC. Fedor is too good ( anderson n GSP r very slowly getting closer ). WOuld love to see crawin/brock too
mrsmiley
7/12/09 6:13:03PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by Styles

personally i think Brock has a suspect chin. It seemed like mir rocked him pretty easliy in the 2nd but the flyin knee got him on stuck with Brock lying on him for a bit doing nothing tell he got his head back. I may be wrong but i think if Brock loses it will cause of KO. after the barnett fight fedor should come to the UFC. Fedor is too good ( anderson n GSP r very slowly getting closer ). WOuld love to see crawin/brock too

I noticed as well.
For a moment (a brief moment),I actually thought he was going to drop.

Regardless,I would like to see this fight,but honestly right now I want to see Fedor VS Barnett and Lesnar VS the winner of Velesques and Carwin. Then go from their.
cmill21
7/12/09 8:19:55PM
Yeah I thought he might be nearly out, but who really knows how hurt he was, he'd never admit it. What this fight showed me was his only defense in the striking game is takedowns, he has absolutly no stand ability in regards to defense. I want to see a game Cro Cop, Fedor, Carwin, or someone in that mold fight him. Guys who can keep it on the feet and strike, or Fedor who is IMO the most well rounded fighter ever. Guys like Mir need room to use their JJ, Fedor doesn't seem to need any, you shift your weight and he's got your arm. To me the UFC is the perfect place for Brock, if he gets you against the cage it's probably over but if people keep it standing I think he's doomed.
gnl68
7/12/09 9:13:05PM
Fedor just might be the best two sport athlete.One being the fighter he is.The other is the sport of business.He will not sign with the UFC unless they are willing to pay the $ that they have been so far reluctant.Fedor is just way to smart to be bought out.Since he has a stake in M-1 he is a free agent of sorts.The UFC could only hope that he loses.I have read that in the past Fedor has turned them down because the UFC owned him if he won and could release him right after he lost.He has nothing to prove in the US,has said it enough.We want him,much more then he wants US.Gotta respect him for not being bought out by Dana and the all 2 powerfull UFC.Long live Fedor!!!!!
jascri
7/12/09 9:41:12PM
Did anyone see what i saw? Brock was getting dominated in the stand up and he was rocked! if that would have went on, Frank could have finished him--he(Brock) didn't want any part of it, so enter Fedor. He's a smart fighter and that was a weakness ... an opening. Fedor would see this and exploit it. Fedor by TKO. Or, if not, he could always submit him, but he better do it quickly.
sclasclemski
7/12/09 10:24:13PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

I think up until now Dana didn't think anyone on the roster could threaten Fedor and now he see's Brock "The Juggernaut" Lesnar and honestly believes that Brock can beat him. I personally will have to see it to believe it but if Dana brought Fedor in it would not be because he would want him to succeed but quite the opposite. Thats what saddens me.

Maybe so but who cares as long as it ends with Fedor in the UFC.
Ordep
7/12/09 11:14:22PM
Carwin will KO Lesnar before Fedor sign.
Schizoidman
7/13/09 3:02:46AM
He did admit it. He said that flying knee made him "see tweety bird for a second." I'll admit that he's an animal. But I like to think of him more as a rabid animal who needs to be taken out with the shotgun i like to call Fedor. The guy has zero respect for other fighters, fans, and even sponsors. Yeah, the emotions were flowing, but being able to compose yourself is what separates real men who deserve respect for little children who can't control themselves. Brock is turning the UFC into the WWE's bastard child. And I thought Rashad was bad. I'm definitely going to boycott any Lesnar fights and just find for free somewhere online the day after the bout.
jay98107
7/13/09 6:48:34AM
Carwin will take out Lesnar, but if he doesn't we can pray that the UFC signs Fedor.
colescar
7/13/09 9:03:38AM

Posted by Schizoidman
The guy has zero respect for other fighters, fans, and even sponsors. Yeah, the emotions were flowing, but being able to compose yourself is what separates real men who deserve respect for little children who can't control themselves. Brock is turning the UFC into the WWE's bastard child. And I thought Rashad was bad.

I totally agree 100%.

The way I see it, Brock would be a tough fight for anyone based on size alone, not skill. I really don't see his size helping him in a match with Fedor. Fedor has a HUGE bag of tricks, the biggest bag. Haven't seen much trickery in Lesnar, not enough to compete with Fedor.
scpd400
7/13/09 11:37:17AM
I saw Mir hurt Lesner too. I think if Lesner gets hit hard he goes down, Why dont they leg kick his knees everyone knows he has bad knees
Daze
8/29/09 1:53:10PM
I was so bummed out that this fight never came to fruition
sclasclemski
8/29/09 1:56:36PM
you and the rest of the world
Aether
8/31/09 10:05:46PM

Posted by scpd400

I saw Mir hurt Lesner too. I think if Lesner gets hit hard he goes down, Why dont they leg kick his knees everyone knows he has bad knees

Throwing a lot of leg kicks at a wrestler of Lesnar's calibre is asking to be put on your back and KOed. It's a good idea, but the risk is too great against such a powerful and quick wrestler.

I have to say that one smart thing about Fedor's signing with Strikeforce whether it was intentional or not is that if he does go to the UFC after his M-1 contract is up, there will be quite a bit of footage of Lesnar for him to study, whereas had he signed at this juncture there would still be a lot more question marks about Lesnars chin, standup, cardio, etc.