Dana White: Brandon Vera "Likely" To Fight Tim Sylvia

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Brandon Vera "Likely" To Fight Tim Sylvia
babalu2720
8/16/07 3:10:36PM
Undefeated heavyweight contender Brandon Vera — who just worked his way back into the division fray after enduring a bitter dispute with his manager, Mark Dion — is likely to face Tim Sylvia in his first fight back.

That’s the latest word from UFC President Dana White on today’s conference call to promote UFC 74: “Respect” on August 25. Keep in mind: Nothing is signed at this time and there is no precise word on a date and/or location for the potential showdown.

ufcmania.com
DMcCabe11
8/16/07 3:22:00PM
i would really like to see this fight i really think with all the new talent in the division tim sylvia will want to prove himself as the best in the world and will bring back the fire that he used to have when he fought ricco and cabbage
nubby
8/16/07 3:28:26PM

Posted by DMcCabe11

i would really like to see this fight i really think with all the new talent in the division tim sylvia will want to prove himself as the best in the world and will bring back the fire that he used to have when he fought ricco and cabbage

I never really thought Sylvia had fire.
DMcCabe11
8/16/07 3:30:11PM
silvia had a fire before he was suspended for steroid use after his first title run when he knocked out ricco rodriguez who at the time was believed to be in the top 2 HWs' in the world maybe it was just the juice but he definetly was willing to go at you to knock you out
peachfuzzz1305
8/16/07 3:36:22PM
Vera is gonna TKO Tim
jahdoug
8/16/07 3:42:20PM
Vera by submission after dropping Tim w/ hands. not unlike Sylvia-AA the first time around.
DMcCabe11
8/16/07 3:45:28PM
ok im not saying i dont like vera i think hes a good guy with a lot of potential but where do you guys have all this back up for the fact that he is gonna KO Tim....i just dont see it who has he beaten impressively enough for you to say that he is gonna dominate Tim Sylvia he should be facing someone more around the level of Fabricio Werdum first that is a fight i would like to see i think Vera vs. Werdum and winner gets Sylvia
Lethal
8/16/07 3:56:22PM
Seems like Tim is becoming what Tito is to the LHW division...a gatekeeper to the contendership. If you're better than Tito you're a contender and if not you're pretty much a nobody. I think it will be the same way for Tim Sylvia and HW.
EddieBowers
8/16/07 3:58:56PM
I will be going for Vera if this happens. Not much of a Tim S. fan. I would have to say the "fire" you are speaking if was the juice. Tim just seems like a lump in the ring... In Tim vs Randy, he just sat there with Randy on his back. Yes Tim was on top, but not in a dominant way. More like a turtle on his back, trying to get up.
cmill21
8/16/07 3:59:00PM
Tim's going to win. He'll be pissed off about what happend with randy and come out with some sort of urgency.
EddieBowers
8/16/07 4:02:04PM
I don't know, I think Tim plays it too safe these days. I see Vera bringing on an upset.
DMcCabe11
8/16/07 4:05:21PM

Posted by EddieBowers

I will be going for Vera if this happens. Not much of a Tim S. fan. I would have to say the "fire" you are speaking if was the juice. Tim just seems like a lump in the ring... In Tim vs Randy, he just sat there with Randy on his back. Yes Tim was on top, but not in a dominant way. More like a turtle on his back, trying to get up.

i am not disprespecting randy in any way he deserved what he did but obiviously if hes coming off of surgery then he had a back problem during that fight
kerazzle
8/16/07 4:07:52PM
i dunno why but im not getting the hype behind Vera....yea he's an accomplished wrestler, bjj'r, and kickboxer but I havent been blown away by his performances in the ring. He's pretty good but its not as if hes the love child of cro cop and fedor.
EddieBowers
8/16/07 4:09:06PM
I see what you are saying, I still think most of Tims recent fights have been dull.
JWils
8/16/07 4:20:35PM

Posted by DMcCabe11

ok im not saying i dont like vera i think hes a good guy with a lot of potential but where do you guys have all this back up for the fact that he is gonna KO Tim....i just dont see it who has he beaten impressively enough for you to say that he is gonna dominate Tim Sylvia he should be facing someone more around the level of Fabricio Werdum first that is a fight i would like to see i think Vera vs. Werdum and winner gets Sylvia

An example would be that Sylvia beat Assuerio Silva by decision and Vera just walked right through Silva and choked him out 2 minutes into the first round. Assuerio is a tough guy. That's when I started to feel like Vera was one of the top heavy's in the division.

I respect Sylvia and he's a solid fighter but IMO Vera will win this fight.
silverbullet
8/16/07 4:23:14PM
I do not really like either one of them, but there is no way that Vera can win this fight.

We all love to hate Time Sylvia, but at the end of the day he has two wins against AA who is still a great contender, and a very recent win against Monson, who is an extremely solid HW. That's his last three fights before the freak loss to Randy Couture. I think that Sylvia didn't prepare right for Randy, and I also believe him when he says that his back was screwed up. I am surprised that he even took the fight with a slipped disc. I had a slipped disc repaired recently, and let me tell you something, it is not a joke.

Sylvia needs to change up his training because he actually has a decent ground game, which he showed off (a little) against Monson. "Sprawl-and-brawl" tactics do not do such a great job in modern MMA. I do not foresee any problems for Sylvia winning and even finishing this fight, granted three things. He needs to heal right, and as some of you may know, back problems never really go away. Doctors can remove the damaged disc, but it never grows back. Tim also needs to change up his training and not be afraid to end up in the guard, because that's the only way he can let loose those hands. And last but not the least, use the jab man! The jab!!
three_days_of_grey
8/16/07 4:25:43PM

Posted by Lethal

Seems like Tim is becoming what Tito is to the LHW division...a gatekeeper to the contendership. If you're better than Tito you're a contender and if not you're pretty much a nobody. I think it will be the same way for Tim Sylvia and HW.

How does it seem that he is becoming a gatekeeper? He has yet to fight since the loss to Couture. Is Liddell a gatekeeper? How about St Pierre? It's too early to say what will become of Sylvia.
Also why shouldnt Vera get a crack at Sylvia? If not for the contract dispute, they most likely would have fought by this point. Vera certainly deserves Sylvia more than Jardine deserves a fight with Liddell.
I think this will be a great fight. Both have good stand-up and ground games and both need a win. Sylvia to return to a title fight, Vera to maintain his perfect record and break into the top 5 HW's and his own eventual shot.

-OUT-
DMcCabe11
8/16/07 4:28:54PM
Tim was much more worried about Andrei then Assuerio he wanted his belt so bad the only thing he could think of was a rematch with arlovski and he underestimated a very tough Assuerio SIlva as opposed to Vera who had the oppurtuntiy to prove a point when he fought him
Jujiden
8/16/07 4:33:45PM

Posted by kerazzle

i dunno why but im not getting the hype behind Vera....yea he's an accomplished wrestler, bjj'r, and kickboxer but I havent been blown away by his performances in the ring. He's pretty good but its not as if hes the love child of cro cop and fedor.

love child of fedor and cro cop...true dat my friend true dat
juanez13
8/16/07 4:38:11PM
i think sylvia will come with the fire he had before, when he KO'd ricco rodriguez, (and how can i forget cabbage?? haha)......he became the boring fighter that was fightin not to loose when he got the title, he didnt wanna loose it becuase it so important to him, now that he doesnt have it, i think he will be more aggresive........

having said that the HW division has way more talent now, i dont see him makin it to the top with guy like big nog, and cro cop...(if CC was ever to fight sylvia, i think it would go something like CC vs Aleks emelianenko)
waylon_o
8/16/07 4:43:13PM

Posted by DMcCabe11

Werdum would probably beat Sylvia...I even have him ranked higher
three_days_of_grey
8/16/07 4:53:37PM

Tim also needs to change up his training and not be afraid to end up in the guard, because that's the only way he can let loose those hands. And last but not the least, use the jab man! The jab!!

He should also work on his movement in the ring. He moves stiffly, like a board. Due to his height, he should be great in the guard because he can still strike efficiently while the opposition is posturing up. He was effective in holding off Monson. Start utilizing body triangles. And yes.. use your jab.

-OUT-
DMcCabe11
8/16/07 5:06:13PM
tim forced andrei into dull mode and andrei slapped fabricio around for 3 rounds there is no way on earth wedrum beats tim if they fought 100 times he would win each one
xphycorx
8/16/07 5:38:58PM
my only prediction for this fight is that it will be a good one.
carlmh311
8/16/07 5:39:07PM
......I think Tim beats Vera no problem. As much as I dont like Tim as a fighter, I think he has alot more experience under his belt. 2 wins over AA alone makes him a force to be reckoned with. Vera is pretty much a striker, as is Silvia. Head to head striking Silvia will have both a height and reach advantage + he will be pissed and want get back on track for title contention. . Silvia does not open up if he is afraid of getting taken down, which is why he was so hesitant with Randy. I think he would bang it out with Vera and KO him easy.
crazedfan
8/17/07 1:39:47AM
Sylvia would handle Vera. Who has Brandon Vera beaten that's any good at all? Frank Mir? Vera hasn't beaten anybody. Sylvia's recent fights have all been slow and plodding because he went into defense-mode every fight to protect his Heavyweight title. Sylvia would defeat Vera with ease, no contest.
dmfp
8/17/07 2:46:42AM
Tim is goin to get it!
2nd round TKO.
I really hope this match will happen. I would rather see him face Mirco or Barnette, why not Marc Hunt.
hardhitta513
8/17/07 4:15:16PM
i dig tim but he got demolished by randy the whole fight an vera i think will ko/tko him if it goes to the ground tim ant gonna b able to do nothin he's so borin as a fighter wen it hits the ground...