Dana White Believes Demetrious Johnson Should Have Been Penalized for Illegal Knee

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Believes Demetrious Johnson Should Have Been Penalized for Illegal Knee
FastKnockout
1/27/13 12:29:32PM
UFC President Dana White weighs in on the main event from UFC on Fox 6 and says that Demetrious Johnson should have had a point deducted in round.

Link
MuayThaiGeek13
1/27/13 12:42:58PM
i dont. so many fighters playing the up-and-down game. besides DJ couldn't see and big John noticed that and started saying "up" and "down".

the rule needs to be changed to "one knee down".

Bubbles
1/27/13 12:49:48PM

“I have to watch it again before I go talking out of order here because I was up and down and watching it, but I’m pretty sure I gave Dodson the first three rounds, if not I gave him two of the first three rounds,” said White.

since when does Dana need to rewatch a fight to not talk out of order? He does it after every fight on twitter and almost every post fight presser
Bubbles
1/27/13 12:50:27PM

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

i dont. so many fighters playing the up-and-down game. besides DJ couldn't see and big John noticed that and started saying "up" and "down".

or get rid of it entirely and say "no soccer kicks or stomps" only
MuayThaiGeek13
1/27/13 1:06:35PM
prophecy033
1/27/13 2:23:57PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

I'm not a fan of the rule. It was a mistake and I would have to believe that its harder to tell because of how small tbese guys are and the line of sight Johnson had. Then Dodson started playing the game of taking his hand on and off the canvas. Be done with it and there won't be a problem
JoeWarren33
1/27/13 2:37:42PM
Sorry Bubs! I gotta spread the love.
tcunningham
1/27/13 3:37:56PM
one knee down should be the rule. one hand down is stupid. i think big john made the right choice. i dont think DJ deserved to lose a point. with the shitty judging these days, that one point could have cost DJ the belt, and i thought he clearly won with his wrestling and relentlessness in the later rounds. it would have been a tragedy to lose his belt like that. i was really impressed with dodson though, i dont think there is any other FW fighters that can even get past dodson at this point.
sparky
1/27/13 6:30:47PM
Not being able to knee a grounded opponent is a shitty rule period in my opinion. Fights would be a lot more exciting without this rule. You would see a lot less stalling from fighters. Also the fighter on the bottom would have to fight with more urgency while on his/her back.
Pookie
1/27/13 7:43:50PM
I think he should have had a point taken as well. Its a ahitty rule, but its still a rule that the fighters tactically adjust for. Dodson should have been free to clear the thought of the knee once his hand was on the ground, and focus himself elsewhere. Taking a knee at that moment is akin to eating a suckerpunch. You arent ready for it, nor should you have to be.

With that said, add stomps and soccerkicks. Aldo p4p #1
tattflash
1/28/13 4:51:11AM
Its a ridiculous rule, there was no way MM could see Dodson's hand on the floor so therefore it was not intentional, it is a rule that needs scrapped.The current rule is a form of cheating to me, similar to holding a cage .If you put your hand on the floor to stop a knee when your opponent cannot see, it is an unfair advantage to gain a possible point, it is similar to holding a cage to prevent a takedown, yet you would lose a point for doing that. The rule should be no knees to an opponent whos knees or body or on the floor, that way even if you cannot see your opponent you can sense the drop in levels if he goes to a knee. Hats off to big John though who kept shouting to MM "no" whenever Dodson put his hand on the floor
BillsNewAccount
1/28/13 8:58:37AM
I don't like the rule either. I think the point deduction should be dependent on the severity of the knee much like they do with groin shots. And in this case I don't think the knee was severe enough to cause a point deduction.
State_Champ
1/28/13 9:46:05AM

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

State_Champ
1/28/13 9:46:36AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

george112
1/28/13 11:08:28AM

Posted by Pookie

I think he should have had a point taken as well. Its a ahitty rule, but its still a rule that the fighters tactically adjust for. Dodson should have been free to clear the thought of the knee once his hand was on the ground, and focus himself elsewhere. Taking a knee at that moment is akin to eating a suckerpunch. You arent ready for it, nor should you have to be.

With that said, add stomps and soccerkicks. Aldo p4p #1

this
Wolfenstein
1/28/13 11:12:36AM
Rules are rules, even if we don't agree with them. That said, Dodson was trying to use a loophole to stall and avoid damage, sometimes it backfires on you--and to me that's justice.
Svartorm
1/29/13 11:15:52AM

Posted by Pookie

Dodson should have been free to clear the thought of the knee once his hand was on the ground, and focus himself elsewhere. Taking a knee at that moment is akin to eating a suckerpunch. You arent ready for it, nor should you have to be.

"Protect yourself at all times."
jay98107
1/29/13 7:05:14PM
People need to start stomping hands.
prophecy033
1/29/13 7:53:27PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Pookie

Dodson should have been free to clear the thought of the knee once his hand was on the ground, and focus himself elsewhere. Taking a knee at that moment is akin to eating a suckerpunch. You arent ready for it, nor should you have to be.

"Protect yourself at all times."