Do you think Dana White is bad for MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Do you think Dana White is bad for MMA
MrGreeny
2/16/07 8:19:51PM
I had some thoughts about the women MMA and after that about the MMA in general... I've seen a lot of videos heard a lot of promoters, fighters etc. who think Dana White (a.k.a. Uncle Fester) is making too much business from the sport and as a result he is hurting MMA... Here is the topic, that bugged me...

P.S. Please don't notice the mistakes in my posts... I had some european beers for my birthday party...
P.P.S. And why this forum does not support phbb? ;)
OB_Juan
2/16/07 8:26:30PM
I didn't read any of your links but I'd have to say Dana has been awesome for the sport. Just look at the growth in the US in the lat 2 yrs or so. Dana is largely responsible for MMA blowing up like it has. Hell, MMA might not have ever even been sanctioned if it weren't for Dana.

Sure, he can take things too personally and he sometimes let's his emotions interfere w/ decisions (usually in relationships w/ fighters) but overall Dana is THE MAN and probably none of us would even be here if it weren't for him.
hippysmacker
2/16/07 8:29:00PM

Posted by OB_Juan

I didn't read any of your links but I'd have to say Dana has been awesome for the sport. Just look at the growth in the US in the lat 2 yrs or so. Dana is largely responsible for MMA blowing up like it has. Hell, MMA might not have ever even been sanctioned if it weren't for Dana.

Sure, he can take things too personally and he sometimes let's his emotions interfere w/ decisions (usually in relationships w/ fighters) but overall Dana is THE MAN and probably none of us would even be here if it weren't for him.

Jerk or not he;s pushed our sport to the mainstream. Gor that i am truly greatful.
Reignofterror
2/16/07 8:29:12PM
I don't entirely understand what the link had to do with Dana White, so it's difficult to answer your question....
MrGreeny
2/16/07 8:38:12PM
Hey I didn't expect answers sooo fast (it's 2:30 AM in germany ;) ) Yeah, i think it's true, that Dana is 'guilty' for the popularity of the sport (very good move with TUF ) but why do some fighters hate him and say, that he is using them... Tito Ortiz had something against Dana too... In the video Frank Shamrock says, exactly that Dana is using the fighters...
OB_Juan
2/16/07 8:54:11PM

Posted by CtOlaf

Hey I didn't expect answers sooo fast (it's 2:30 AM in germany ;) ) Yeah, i think it's true, that Dana is 'guilty' for the popularity of the sport (very good move with TUF ) but why do some fighters hate him and say, that he is using them... Tito Ortiz had something against Dana too... In the video Frank Shamrock says, exactly that Dana is using the fighters...

Tito was just running his mouth until he got what he wanted. He's obviously changed his tune since then. Frank... well he's pretty much just a jackass as proven in his post fight interview last weekend. His opinion doesn't really matter much except to himself.
shawneth
2/16/07 8:58:45PM
I really dont understand why so many people hate on Dana. I notice alot of people who bash hime and blame him for tons of shit that seems unwarrented(not particularly this forum though), will someone enlighten me on why so many people dont like the guy.
hippysmacker
2/16/07 9:01:58PM
Most of the people Ihave seen do it are pride nutthugger's. Other than that he has a big ego, and can be a jerk. Still, MMA would still be underground without him IMO.
OB_Juan
2/16/07 9:02:43PM
I think part of the hate has to do w/ the confusion of whether he's a businessman first or MMA fan first. Sometimes it's cloudy, but either way he's my hero.
skiba97
2/16/07 10:07:36PM
If it wasnt for dana i probably wouldnt be into mma. Say what you will about him but hes pretty much stopped the ufc from dying. Nowdays i pretty much watch everything i can get my hands on in the uk wether it be pride, ufc, k1 ect but if it wasnt for dana i dont think mma would be recognised at all here.
Reignofterror
2/16/07 10:41:05PM
I think Dana has brought mixed martial arts into the light with clever marketing and the UFC's TV deal with Spike. Dana White is a brilliant businessman and he's utilized his ideas to bring what was once an unacceptable sport and transform it into a craze across the US. I think the UFC is supported on his shoulders and without him the UFC would still be advertised as a "no rules" contest or worse the UFC wouldn't exist at all.

Many fans have only started liking the sport after viewing the ultimate fighter, and numerous amounts of people didn't only get into the UFC after watching TUF but have also extended themselves into Pride FC, K1, and other fight promoters. So in a way Dana White has helped mixed martial arts as a whole rather then just the UFC. Criticize him for his over the top antics but many fans should know that if it weren't for that man you would still be on your couch catching WWE's Friday Night Smackdown.
Lay_N_Pray
2/16/07 11:07:03PM
Simply put...not at all
ac_gi
2/16/07 11:15:04PM
Dana White and the Fertita Brothers are the best thing that has ever happened to MMA. They put MMA on the mainstream map, which has resulted in fighters getting paid more in all orgs. Not only that, I see much more MMA on TV now that TUF has been on for a couple of years. The IFL didn't do it, Pride didn't, and certainly not any of these other upstarts, it was Dana and the UFC. Thanks to them I see more Pride, IFL and upstarts... not just the UFC. It's all about the fighters, not the orgs.

Bottom line, the management of the UFC has done a hell of a job, and thanks to them everyone will benefit.... even nuthuggers.
ac_gi
2/16/07 11:17:30PM

Posted by Reignofterror

I think Dana has brought mixed martial arts into the light with clever marketing and the UFC's TV deal with Spike. Dana White is a brilliant businessman and he's utilized his ideas to bring what was once an unacceptable sport and transform it into a craze across the US. I think the UFC is supported on his shoulders and without him the UFC would still be advertised as a "no rules" contest or worse the UFC wouldn't exist at all.

Many fans have only started liking the sport after viewing the ultimate fighter, and numerous amounts of people didn't only get into the UFC after watching TUF but have also extended themselves into Pride FC, K1, and other fight promoters. So in a way Dana White has helped mixed martial arts as a whole rather then just the UFC. Criticize him for his over the top antics but many fans should know that if it weren't for that man you would still be on your couch catching WWE's Friday Night Smackdown.

Sorry about stealing your post. I think I just reworded what you said!
hathcock32
2/17/07 2:45:41AM
DANA WHITE IS GOD!!!! I love everything he does....
crimethinc
2/17/07 6:11:34AM
People forget that Dana White is the president of a company. If it wasn't for all his apperances pretty much hosting TUF people probably would know almost nothing about the guy. But he took a sport that was banned in 38 states and achieved a million PPV sales and broadcast on network TV. The fighter conflict is all about contract disputes. Advertising execs have contract disputes too just they aren't quite as well publicized. For the top level fighters this is there livelihood and they will always want more then they are getting and Dana, as the man responsible, is the one guy who occasionally has to tell them no. This can be misconstrued as an ego thing, but you point me to one president who doesn't have to put his foot down with his employees and I will give you a high five or something of equal or lesser value.
Manfred
2/17/07 7:52:24AM
Best thing for MMA in the US = Dana White
2nd Best = Sen. John McCain

McCain forced the issue of sanctioning and unified rules and while trying to get MMA banned because of it, inadvertantly made it the fastest growing sport in the US.

"Sen. McCain is the reason we are where we are today" -Dana White
MrGreeny
2/17/07 7:54:34AM
I guess we have a unanimous decision :) Dana has made MMA popular and made money out of this, many fighters and promoters hate, and talk smack about him because they didn't get part of the pie
Manfred
2/17/07 8:12:07AM

Posted by CtOlaf

I guess we have a unanimous decision :) Dana has made MMA popular and made money out of this, many fighters and promoters hate, and talk smack about him because they didn't get part of the pie

Keep in mind that Zuffa basically bought the UFC name and a bunch of bills. (for $2MIL) They initially invested another $40mil to get it going again. They are starting to turn a profit. (they expect return on investment this year)

The salaries are steady going up with the popularity growth and they give bonuses that aren't required/needed.

When Babalu got KO'd in the first round the second time he faced Chuck, the Fertilla brothers ran to ambulance to give him a 10k check and tell him he'd b back.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/17/07 9:00:17AM
i like Dana and everything he does,except for the fact that he pays peanuts

i think that most of the fighters areonly doing this because they were born poor and thats all they know how to do is fight for money and i think dana is taking advantage of this.

if dana say's these are all "professionals" then pay them like professionals!!!

paying newcomers 2k..and 3 k?? you serious..??
zephead
2/17/07 10:17:22AM
Dana can be egotistical and a pompous ass. But he has a vision for the UFC that all of MMA gets to reap the rewards from. Dana is a business man first and foremost. A fan second. I see nothing wrong with that. He has to make decisions that not everybody is gonna agree with. That sucks. But then again, that's sports in general.

Dana runs the UFC and like a businessman, it's his way or the highway. Is it right, maybe not, but that's how it's done in business. You come up with a plan and stick with it.

I posted something a couple of days ago in the "MMA News and Website Announcements" forum that maybe people didn't notice. The title of the thread was " BIOGENETIX Partners with King of the Cage!" Do you think that this would have happened without the popularity that "The Ulimate Fighter" brought to MMA? Without Xyience jumping in with the UFC do you think that BIOGENETIX would have partnered with KOTC?

Pride is in the USA for it's second show. Would that be possible if the UFC hadn't blown up? Dana might be everything that Frank Shamrock and others say he is. But the UFC isn't about what Frank wants, what Pat Militech wants, or what Tito wants. It's about what the fans want, and people aren't screaming for Shamrock. Thye're screaming for the sport right now.

With that, "Do I think Dana is bad for MMA?" He no, he' one of the best things that has happened
casey64
7/10/07 5:26:54PM
No!!!!
Naturaldisaster
7/10/07 7:44:14PM
dana has helped this sport so much! I don't think he has hurt it at all. yeah he may be a jerk and stuff but he gives us what we want (and that is more ppvs each year, bigger fights,) He dedicates almost all of his time to signin fights and advertising for this sports. so for every thing he has done I thank him and appriciate everything he has done
DougDrex
7/10/07 9:55:00PM

Posted by OB_Juan

I agree with your support of Dana White, but your line about MMA not being sanctioned without him is a common mistruth commonly spread by Dana White himself.

The sport of MMA was first sanctioned by the state of New Jersey before Zuffa ever purchased the UFC. What Zuffa has done better than any previous owners of the UFC is to market the sport to the masses via cable television. The rest is history.

If not for Dana White and the Fertitta brothers, we wouldn't have sites like MMAplayground.com and others to enjoy.
tepid55
7/11/07 11:41:45AM
The UFC would be better off under the old rules.
Rush
7/11/07 9:47:24PM

Posted by DougDrex
but your line about MMA not being sanctioned without him is a common mistruth commonly spread by Dana White himself.

Among other incorrect statements and half truths that come out of Dana's mouth.

As some of you know, I do not like Dana White. I will agree that he has done a lot to promote the UFC/MMA in the US. However, that doesn't mean he was/could've been the only person to do it. He was just the first to really make it mainstream.

In addition, I think Dana is on the verge of making or breaking the image of MMA. The man does not act in a way that I consider good for the image of a company/phenomenon that is trying to gain acceptance to a broad audience.

Sure he wants to appeal to the coveted 18-30 year old male group (that for the most part love trash talking and controversy), but in all honesty at this point he should be appealing to the conservative old men with political power.
sonar
7/12/07 5:36:15AM
i like dana cause he is hillarious. he speaks whats on his mind and doesnt mind swearing a bit...

dana and the ferritta brothers have done wonders for mma as a whole. they helped get the sport sanctioned and legitimised.

he can be egotistical and a bit of an ass at times, but i have seen a lot worse.

for everyone that says he is money hungry, he is a buisnessman. he is the president of the ufc, he has to make some money. your not going to tell me your going to run a company with negative return year after year afte year?

they have poured millions into the ufc, and i think they are only now starting to reap the benefits.

Kisame
7/21/07 1:46:17AM
I personally think he would be a whole lot better for mma if he didnt have so much vested emotions in the sport.

I know people like they argue that there is no way he plays favoritism but if Chuck lidell only has to fight Jardine then challenges rampage again for the title....

Well I can't see how that was anything but him getting a ride for being Dana's friend.

Rampage clearly stated in an interview that he was being forced to fight chuck before he was ready as he felt he needed another tune up fight in the Cage. They told him that he had to fight chuck then or he wouldnt get a title shot at all but that was AFTER they had already told him he would get 2 fights before fighting chuck.

Now we a similar situation with Wanderlei. I just dont think we should have someone with friends as fighters picking and choosing who fights and win. He has to either put aside his emotions or just sit back and put into play non-biased fight matchups