Dana White: Anderson Silva Is Far Above Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Anderson Silva Is Far Above Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn
grappler0000
11/20/08 5:03:33PM
Asked whether the winner of the fight between B.J. Penn and Georges St. Pierre could vault to the top of the pound-for-pound rankings, White said no.

"I don't think they change at all," White said. "Anderson Silva is far and above the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world. The fighter who wins this fight between B.J. and St. Pierre is on their way. They've got to do a couple more big things in their career to challenge Anderson Silva, or something happens to Anderson. But Anderson Silva is way above pound-for-pound the best fighter."

Link
MMAcca
11/20/08 5:07:03PM
I think both will struggle against 'The Spider'
decken
11/20/08 5:25:14PM

Posted by MMAcca

I think both will struggle against 'The Spider'

Who doesn't struggle against one of the best if not the best fighter in the world. Add on to that he is bigger than both of them.
tuvok500
11/20/08 6:03:12PM
GSP is on his way, after beating BJ i will put him first and Silva second and to find the real number one they will have to fight and i hope at 185 to make sure nobody will argue about it, witch a catch weight would probably do.

nickcuc547
11/20/08 6:15:13PM
I would have to agree with dana on this one.
crushedbacon
11/20/08 6:35:29PM
Fedor's the best come on seriously........
pinoymixplaya
11/20/08 6:54:08PM
I think the both of them haven't cleaned out their divisions yet, especially BJ, like Andy Silva almost has....They haven't defended their titles like Silva has against top guys like Franklin or Hendo. They have a bit aways to be considered top of the p4p list, IMO.
higdon10
11/20/08 6:59:00PM

Posted by nickcuc547

I would have to agree with dana on this one.

And I agree with the two of you..
roadking95th
11/20/08 7:00:39PM
Come on Dana, seriously!

Fedor
Silva
Penn
Torres
GSP
monkeybrawler
11/20/08 7:19:34PM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

I think the both of them haven't cleaned out their divisions yet, especially BJ, like Andy Silva almost has....They haven't defended their titles like Silva has against top guys like Franklin or Hendo. They have a bit aways to be considered top of the p4p list, IMO.

Well lets see GSP only beat the number two WW in the world in John F. BJ has beat almost every top LW and WW there is like Sherk, Matt Hughes,Gomi., Joe Daddy. They both are very good at talking people to the ground were Anderson has struggled against Hendo and Lutter and were he has also be beat. I like Anderson but to say these two could challenge him or beat him is far fetched.
Shawn17
11/20/08 7:30:48PM
ill agree with monkeybrawler.
jcubz
11/20/08 8:30:57PM
I think GSPs wrestling would outclass Silva, GSP is just too small but I still think he would win. BJ Penn? too small and he would just stand and exchange and then get KOd
jakeiceman
11/20/08 10:32:37PM

Posted by jcubz

I think GSPs wrestling would outclass Silva, GSP is just too small but I still think he would win. BJ Penn? too small and he would just stand and exchange and then get KOd

Not likely, BJ would strike with him for a bit and would probably do alright for awhile because BJ always seems to outbox everyone he is supposed to be outstruck by. BJ's ground game is also better than Silva's by far. I would give Penn a much better chance to beat Anderson that GSP. What does GSP have to offer other than his wrestling? He sure as hell wont outstrike him and even if he does get him down I think he would get submitted.

bobby_loco13
11/20/08 11:09:04PM

Posted by roadking95th

Come on Dana, seriously!

Fedor
Silva
Penn
Torres
GSP

absolutely ridiculous!!!

bj penn above gsp??
miguel torres ABOVE gsp??????????????

torres is an amazing kidd, and one of my favorites for sure...but that is just insane talk.

fedor number 1 yes
spider 2....ok
GSP has to be number 3 p4p best in the world right now

gimmie my props!!!
haggiswashere
11/21/08 12:13:53AM
i think dana is gonna change his tone after silva's contract is done. he is just trying to promote the next 5 fights
StriderXero
11/21/08 12:34:12AM
They say that GSP can take down LHWs pretty easily. BJ has fought and beat MWs before (Rodrigo and Renzo Gracie), Ofcourse they're nowhere near Anderson's lvl.

I'm pretty sure GSP could give Anderson good run for his money , as for BJ, I'm not sure just yet. I think if BJ is able to completly dominate GSP, he could give Anderson a run. But BJ vs GSP imo will be close.

But I dont agree with Dana on him saying that is far above GSP and Penn as P4P king. They are very close to him. Fedor too, or maybe even above anderson.
cmill21
11/21/08 12:49:07AM

Posted by StriderXero

They say that GSP can take down LHWs pretty easily. BJ has fought and beat MWs before (Rodrigo and Renzo Gracie), Ofcourse they're nowhere near Anderson's lvl.

I'm pretty sure GSP could give Anderson good run for his money , as for BJ, I'm not sure just yet. I think if BJ is able to completly dominate GSP, he could give Anderson a run. But BJ vs GSP imo will be close.

But I dont agree with Dana on him saying that is far above GSP and Penn as P4P king. They are very close to him. Fedor too, or maybe even above anderson.

BJ has also fought at LHW and did well against a top UFC LHW in Machida.
DevonFoxy
11/21/08 1:00:45AM

Posted by bobby_loco13

Posted by roadking95th

Come on Dana, seriously!

Fedor
Silva
Penn
Torres
GSP

absolutely ridiculous!!!

bj penn above gsp??
miguel torres ABOVE gsp??????????????

torres is an amazing kidd, and one of my favorites for sure...but that is just insane talk.

fedor number 1 yes
spider 2....ok
GSP has to be number 3 p4p best in the world right now

gimmie my props!!!

GSP is a very good fighter but until GSP beats BJ convincingly how can you rate GSP over him P4P?Were not talking about the better Welter Weight.

BJ vs GSP 1 was very close and I still think BJ won. No imagine if BJ didn't break his rib (which if i remember correctly he did have in that fight).

Then BJ drops and clears out the LW division. GSP is at the lowest weight he can go so Pound for Pound I see no reason to put GSP in front of BJ Penn.

Edit: I agree with the C man about the Machida fight how he did that well is just ridiculous. But must spread the love.
cmill21
11/21/08 1:05:29AM
For me pfp is guys who take on people who weigh more then them, BJ falls into the catagory, as does Fedor(biggest weight gaps), and Kid. Of course they must do well against the big guys, but BJ has held the WW and now the LW title, he's fought MW's and LHW's, Kid has faced LW's while he's a natural BW, and Fedor has faced men 100+lbs heavier. I know Anderson and GSP are both huge talents but both are big for their weight class, and IMO now that Andersons going up to LHW he's elligable under my personal criteria.
tomp6581
11/21/08 5:27:05AM
I dont see why Anderson Silva is so much superior than BJ or GSP.

Granted, I think he is above them now...but not by a huge distance.

I still say Fedor is number one though. The guy is 230lbs and never cuts weight, fights guys who are 265lbs+ and dominates them.

1 Fedor
2 Silva
2 GSP
4 BJ Penn

To put in perspective. Anderson Silva without cutting weight is only 10lbs lighter than Fedor. And we know Fedor could easily drop a few lbs off his waist.

How would Fedor do in the MW division? Or how would silva do as a HW?
jakeiceman
11/21/08 8:47:42AM

Posted by tomp6581

I still say Fedor is number one though. The guy is 230lbs and never cuts weight

And we know Fedor could easily drop a few lbs off his waist.

See, you just answered your question......Fedor is LAZY.......Anderson would smoke him!

MMAcca
11/21/08 8:48:37AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by tomp6581

I still say Fedor is number one though. The guy is 230lbs and never cuts weight

And we know Fedor could easily drop a few lbs off his waist.

See, you just answered your question......Fedor is LAZY.......Anderson would smoke him!

emfleek
11/21/08 10:03:08AM

Posted by haggiswashere

i think dana is gonna change his tone after silva's contract is done. he is just trying to promote the next 5 fights

100% true. Props to you, man.

brooklynbadass
11/21/08 10:50:06AM
that avatar is awesome!
MaxOne
12/1/08 5:35:51PM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by jcubz

Not likely, BJ would strike with him for a bit and would probably do alright for awhile because BJ always seems to outbox everyone he is supposed to be outstruck by. BJ's ground game is also better than Silva's by far. I would give Penn a much better chance to beat Anderson that GSP. What does GSP have to offer other than his wrestling? He sure as hell wont outstrike him and even if he does get him down I think he would get submitted.

Word!
Penn has a much better chance of beating Silva than GSP does.
MaxOne
12/1/08 5:41:10PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by StriderXero

BJ has also fought at LHW and did well against a top UFC LHW in Machida.

Wasn't that actually fought at heavy weight?
either way Machida was 220+ at the time of the fight and BJ did very well. I felt BJ won that fight and I know i'm not the only person that thinks that. It was a split decision, right? It's been a long time since i've seen that fight so my memory could be jacked.
Natedogg42
1/15/09 4:37:17PM
I think there is some confusion here about what P4P means. I've always taken P4P as meaning forget about weight, just look at there skill. So why is everyone talking about weight?
HumanTarget
1/16/09 6:40:37AM

Posted by roadking95th

Come on Dana, seriously!

Fedor
Silva
Penn
Torres
GSP

LOL PENN TORRES? Wow... wake up from wonderland and take the damn blue pill.
icantthinkofanything
2/3/09 10:21:21AM
Anderson has the most acurate striking in the game for sure. His BJJ is pretty good, but i doubt we will see any flying/armbar's or triangles fom him. GSP is not the most tech. bjj either, but he is VERY GOOD at every aspect...boxing, bjj, wrestling, kicking, judo, karate, defense to Any and Every type of attack (bjj etc.) I think the being very good at every aspect,(and getting better by the day) makes him the best pound for pound, whereas Anderson is Excellent at myuah thai, and good at bjj. The question becomes, what makes the best? Is it winning? yes. Are those wins more important than being excellent at every aspect of the game? idk. Kimbo slice was beating everyones ass on the web (except that dude who got beat up on his first ufc fight, and seth petruzelli on e.-xc) does going unbeaten, or 1st round knock outs make kimbo the best...idk, I think GSP being great at every aspect, and winning fights, makes hi a better example of pound for pound...but it's hard to compare with mma, because there are so many ways to fight and win...and is the best sport cuz of that.
jiujitsufreak74
2/3/09 3:02:33PM
i'm sorry Dana, i strongly disagree. Silva is 3rd on my P4P list.

-GSP has 0 losses that he hasn't avenged. Anderson Silva has 3 (not including Okami).

-wins over BJ Penn, Matt Hughes and Fitch are better than wins over Henderson, Franklin and Marquardt imo.

-the MW division isn't as deep as the WW division

-if both GSP and Silva successfully defend their titles it would only strengthen GSP's spot, as a win over Thiago Alves > a win over Thales Leites by a mile.