Dana White: Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen rivalry could be biggest in UFC history

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen rivalry could be biggest in UFC history
prophecy033
7/3/12 11:32:30PM
The UFC has seen its fair share of rivalries over the years.

Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell. Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz. Rashad Evans and Rampage Jackson. And, of course, Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen.

But Saturday's Silva-Sonnen rematch at UFC 148 and the buildup behind it may have pushed it to the head of the pack in the eyes of Dana White.

The UFC president on Monday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the rivalry between Silva, his longtime middleweight champion, and Sonnen, the challenger who took him into the fifth round at UFC 117 nearly two years ago, has taken on a new life in part thanks to Silva believing Sonnen doesn't deserve a rematch.

"If not No. 1, it's up there," White said. "I've never been in a situation where a guy says, 'This guy's such a disrespectful punk, he doesn't deserve this shot – and I'm not gonna fight him.'"

Link
FastKnockout
7/3/12 11:46:43PM
Silva/Sonnen - Not really. Most of it's for entertainment value.

Rashad/Rampage - Same thing

Rashad/Jones - Blown out of proportion

Chuck/Randy - Wouldn't consider it the same type of rivalry.

Ortiz/Shamrock - Close 2nd

Chuck/Ortiz - Ding ding ding
prophecy033
7/3/12 11:57:05PM
I think with a Rivalry you need give and take. Couture vs Liddell had that give and take. Randy wins, then Chuck evens it up with a 3rd fight for all the marbles. Chuck and Tito and Tito and Ken didn't have that give and take aspect. Although those were pretty epic in the trash that was talked, Chuck/Randy is #1 in my book.

Silva/Sonnen has all the potential to be the best EVER. If Sonnen pulls out this fight and evens the series at 1-1 apeice, that sets the table for the most EPIC of all rubber matchs. But if Silva takes it again and wins 2-0 then it goes right above Chuck/Tito and Tito/Ken but below Chuck/Randy
bjj1605
7/4/12 2:33:11AM

Posted by prophecy033

I think with a Rivalry you need give and take. Couture vs Liddell had that give and take. Randy wins, then Chuck evens it up with a 3rd fight for all the marbles. Chuck and Tito and Tito and Ken didn't have that give and take aspect. Although those were pretty epic in the trash that was talked, Chuck/Randy is #1 in my book.

Silva/Sonnen has all the potential to be the best EVER. If Sonnen pulls out this fight and evens the series at 1-1 apeice, that sets the table for the most EPIC of all rubber matchs. But if Silva takes it again and wins 2-0 then it goes right above Chuck/Tito and Tito/Ken but below Chuck/Randy

This.

A rubber match between these two could be the biggest fight in the history of the sport.
JoeWarren33
7/4/12 10:41:35AM
Sell those PPV's Dana!!!
george112
7/4/12 10:43:11AM
Lesnar/Mir had its moments also
Boo_Radley21
7/4/12 11:41:03AM
Yea gotta go Randy/Chuck, GSP/Hughes, for the rubber matches and competetiveness and what not.

Lesnar/Mir, BJ/Pulver, Ken/Tito, Tito/Chuck for hate
airkerma
7/4/12 11:56:19AM
with Senor Radley. I was surprised that nobody had even mentioned GSP/Hughes...I seem to remember GSP being afraid of him originally and Hughes absolutely hating him by the end.